How Has Miami Vice Changed You?

maynard

I asked this question somewhere else a few years ago. I didn't see it here anywhere. Miami Vice profoundly changed pop culture.How did if affect or change you. I'll start with the fact that it definitely changed the way I dress, more color.Also, I judge all TV and movie productions by the standard set by Miami Vice. Not too many meet the grade anymore...:)

That's similar to how it changed me. It gave me my first real sense of fashion, a whole new appreciation for music & cinematography on television, as well as introuducing me to music artists I might not have heard of otherwise.

I first got into Vice when I was 13 back in 1986. Up until then I'd been a bit of an introverted bookworm. Vice brought out the cooler, more streetwise side of my personality. I started wearing T-shirts instead of the geeky formal shirts that I wore before that. It was definitely a turning point for me, and it integrated a new side to my personality.

I realized that there is something more important in life than girls - the vice. It was a photo-finish though :DSo good I posted it twice - sorry folks! :)

I think my thread in the GENERAL section entitled, "My MIAMI VICE Fantasy Life" just about sums it up!Boy, has it ever changed me!

Well even though it was like 20 years later I started dressing like in the show, not always but any sunny day is good enough for me to don some pastel :D I smoked lucky strikes non-filter, on & off though as they're hard to get here, but generally speaking it's just that idea of living on a boat that's haunting me and I like to spend time anywhere near waterside. I also love the music and watch few eps. a week :)

I smoked lucky strikes non-filter' date=' on & off though as they're hard to get here[/quote']I'm not a smoker but I tend to keep an eye out for Lucky's, and they're not all that easy to find here in the US, either. At least not in my area from what I've seen. There's only one place I know of near me that stocks them.There's another way MV has changed me, I keep an eye out for Lucky Strikes even when I don't need them!

I bought two packs of LUCKY STRIKES so I could put them in photos for this website. Also bought the gold ZIPPO lighter and Lowenbrau beer. It's in the "TAKE A PEEK INSIDE CROCKETT's CLOSET" thread.

20 years later MV changed my haircut, my clothes, I wear more pastels & tropical style. It also was an influence for our move to Florida! :thumbsup:In a bad way, I've been getting more sarcastic with people, due to Sonny Crockett's influence, but in a way, it's good 'cause I don't take as much c..p from them either!

Appreciation for the 80s - when everything seemed alot happier.Also the whole idea of escapism has made me reflect more on life and hold on tighter to what I think is most important. Miami Vice is escapism, but what am I escaping from?

Think I posted this in the wrong thread:I was 10-15 from '84-'89 - got hooked from Season 3 although had watched sporadically beforehand - so I was about 14 or 15 when I became a 'fan' - definitely changed my wardrobe - made me want to be 'cool' in so many different ways though - even affected my creative writing at school - remember one very heavy fictional piece I wrote which was full of symbolism using light and shadow - which I blatantly nicked from MV!It also made me appreciate beauty more I think (and it's opposite) in everything around us - natural and man-made - eg simple beauty of clouds in the skies and art-deco style buildings (which we have so few of here in the UK).Perhaps most of all though I immediately empathised with what I still see today as a beautiful story of a man attempting to come to terms with, and find meaning in, a world full of evil, injustice and misfortune. I think my teenage years (like many of you and any teenager for that matter) were full of angst and underlying anxiety of finding our places in the world around us - and sometimes that's a very complex and unsettling thing to do as a young man. I saw something of a parallel there in Sonny and it somehow gave me more strength if you like in my own journey.

There just isn't much of Miami Vice that has changed me the game Vice City didn't already do (appreciation for pastels, the 80's and it's music, bucketloads of violence while looking cool), but I guess the show is what made me start writing music more into the stories I write.

I wouldn’t say that MV changed my life, but it sure influenced it. First of all it made me more interested in music and made me know many singers and artists.I’ve always admired Crockett beyond his gorgeous looks; I liked some of his behaviours, his endless search for justice, the fact that he almost never surrendered, his ability to “recover†from the difficulties (at least apparently, since we all know that what he’s been through in life took a toll on him).The character that most influenced me was Gina.When I first got into Vice I was a teenage tomboy and I used to look at adult women whom I could consider role models. To my eyes Gina was the symbol of a beautiful, elegant and sophisticated woman. At a certain stage I wanted to be like her, that’s how I started to care about my haircut, and experimented with makeup and clothes.For me it was strange to see how important fashion was in MV: I already knew that particular style but it seemed a lot different and definitely cooler because the setting was in Miami, not here.It was a weird feeling because it was like I was seeing it for the very first time. I can say that thanks to MV I’ve developed a sense of colour way before other people did.Years later I still don’t wear pastels (HERESY!!!) but I do wear all the classic MV colours, only that they’re in brighter and stronger shades.

That was an interesting read Pandina.The first thing I got that was "MIAMI VICE" was not correct. I bought a light blue polo shirt, and aviator sunglasses (seemingly patterned after the CARRERAS in the pilot). I hung the glasses like sonny did on his shirt. In 1984-5, I didn't have any money, so I couldn't do much.As the show got more popular, a clothing store called, "MILLERS OUTPOST" started cashing in on MIAMI VICE's popular clothes. THIS was the turning point for me. They carried the PERFECT (from the same manufacturer) pastel 3 button henleys in all the colors, and pastel blazers! The prices were not too expensive for me at that time, so I ended up buying every color henley available, and a light blue blazer.One day, I saw the episode GIVE A LITTLE, TAKE A LITTLE, and saw Sonny's sunglasses. I then wanted to get RAYBAN sunglasses. I bought a cheap copy. I don't recall what happened to it, but I think I sat on them and broke them. I then decided to spend a whole $42.00 (It's cost in 1985) for a pair of REAL rayban wayfarers like in the show. LOVED THEM! The lens got chipped bad while playing with friends, and someone tossed me a no look pass with a basketball, and hit me right on the side of the head, knocking my sunglasses off onto the pavement, damageing the lense. Later, I bought yet another pair of $42.00 wayfarers to replace it, and those, I still have that pair!The blazers didn't come until nearly two decades later when I was in a T.J. MAXX store, and saw a light blue ANDREW FEZZA blazer in my size. I bought it instantly. I however, never wore blazers, and felt uncomfortable in doing so as I was self concious. It took about a year or two to get over that feeling, and using baby steps, I wore it in the car to a store, but took it off when leaving the car! Eventually, I wore blazers out in the public for short periods of time. ...NOW, I never leave the house without a slick blazer, and feel I'm missing something if I don't have it on!! My, how times have changed!! I most likely have about 50 blazers now!

20 years later MV changed my haircut' date=' my clothes, I wear more pastels & tropical style. It also was an influence for our move to Florida! :thumbsup:In a bad way, I've been getting more sarcastic with people, due to Sonny Crockett's influence, but in a way, it's good 'cause I don't take as much c..p from them either![/quote']Hey Tony D. Do you call them "Pal" when you lose your patience and get sarcastic with them? I used to call people "Bubba " sometimes when I got mad.:evil:

Yes, Pal is the name that tells a person you're really NOT their pal!Bubba is from Nash Bridges, but I like pal better! :dance:

When I first got into Vice I was a teenage tomboy and I used to look at adult women whom I could consider role models. To my eyes Gina was the symbol of a beautiful' date=' elegant and sophisticated woman. At a certain stage I wanted to be like her, that’s how I started to care about my haircut, and experimented with makeup and clothes.[/quote']Hang on, that sounds a lot like me!When I first got into Vice I always wore Hawaiian shirts and jeans, like Magnum. My first trip out in pastels was to see some Ferraris (one of which I sat in). I wore a black fleece jacket, a olive green T-shirt and black pants. It didn't look very Vice-like, but I didn't have any blazers back then.Now I have white pants and a blazer but not enough pastel shirts.And Coop, would it be weird for a 14 year old girl to go out in pastels and a blazer in public?

And Coop' date=' would it be weird for a 14 year old girl to go out in pastels and a blazer in public?[/quote']Absolute not! There is nothing wrong with a blazer and pastel shirt. Many women wear a business suit blazer and a pastel, or other colored shirt.Be original. Make the style your own. I felt strange wearing a blazer at first, but I got so used to it, I wear one virtually every day!Jazz it up a bit with perhaps a shirt promoting a concert or a design thats cool or abstract.Make it your own! It's actually quite liberating and fun.I say go for it, and post the photos for all the world to see. :thumbsup::cheers:

Jazz it up a bit with perhaps a shirt promoting a concert or a design thats cool or abstract.Make it your own! It's actually quite liberating and fun.I say go for it, and post the photos for all the world to see. :thumbsup::cheers:

You mean like this?Eingefügtes Bild

I also like wearing blazers and T - shirts, but I prefer green, beige and brown not pastel. Nobody here would have worn blazers and T - shirts before MV started, but now one can wear these clothes everywhere he wants without embarrassing himself. That´s what I like.

And of course if the girl is after my heart she will be into cars so the Top Gear "T" is a good start.Way to go with the choice of T!Top Gear...What a great show................The blazer looks very nice on you and in fact any girl..................Looks smart!

Looks like the jury is out! Your new look looks smashing!! Casual, smart, dressy, hip. You can dress it up, or dress it down. Everything rolled into one! You got it!You can experiment with colors, and shirts to fit what looks best for you. The more blazers and shirt combos, the better the results!Your friends may start copying your style. A few of mine did. Show us more of your fashions when you get a chance.TOP GEAR ROCKS by the way! :thumbsup::thumbsup: