Grand Theft Auto 6

Marc

1 hour ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Hmmmm...maybe gta vice city was good for those days when it was released, locked to an era...so...this "new version" would suck because its a reboot? Lol

I absolutely agree, this game will be a technical marvel. But the 'modern day' vibe will undoubtedly hit different compared to the cult classic status of GTA Vice City.

I believe it also has to do with Rockstar's new approach. A lot of talent has left Rockstar recently, and they have expressed multiple times to be less interested in the historical 'pop-culture' approach, and more interested in replicating modern day America. This also includes hiring young actors opposed to established movie actors (the latter also having their own egos and pay demands...). Ray Liotta for example was never really interested in starring in a video game, up until the point where it became a large commercial success.

Hopefully the GTA VI story wont be too simplistic, and the single player story will positively surprise us! :)

• Like 1

The worst trailer ever for a high profile game, doesn't draw you in, just annoys you.  

The people in it remind me of those low IQ idiots partying on beaches during the pandemic. 

Awful.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The worst trailer ever for a high profile game, doesn't draw you in, just annoys you.  

The people in it remind me of those low IQ idiots partying on beaches during the pandemic. 

Awful.

Uh...they're supposed to look like that. One of the hallmarks of GTA writ large has been mocking popular culture and many of its permutations (LifeInvader or Bleeter, anyone?). It's a visual thing, much like the first trailer of RDR2 (which didn't really do much to draw you in, either, aside from stun you with the graphics).

And for those complaining about the wait...would you rather have a buggy pile of crap like Fallout New Vegas (outstanding concept, but still massively crash-prone even after the GOTY edition was released) or Skyrim (dragons flying backwards?). The biggest complaint about GTAV was that one of the garages wouldn't save a car that was parked in it...pretty minor when compared to the memory leak in Elder Scrolls Oblivion that randomly trashed your game save (which Bethesda never bothered to fix). Given how people lit up CDPR for Cyberpunk (which was relatively bug-free compared to the Bethesda stuff), I don't think anyone should be surprised that Rockstar would follow its normal practice and have a long lead time.

My one concern is they'll lean too heavily into the online part and shortchange the single player story.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Uh...they're supposed to look like that. One of the hallmarks of GTA writ large has been mocking popular culture and many of its permutations (LifeInvader or Bleeter, anyone?). It's a visual thing, much like the first trailer of RDR2 (which didn't really do much to draw you in, either, aside from stun you with the graphics).

And for those complaining about the wait...would you rather have a buggy pile of crap like Fallout New Vegas (outstanding concept, but still massively crash-prone even after the GOTY edition was released) or Skyrim (dragons flying backwards?). The biggest complaint about GTAV was that one of the garages wouldn't save a car that was parked in it...pretty minor when compared to the memory leak in Elder Scrolls Oblivion that randomly trashed your game save (which Bethesda never bothered to fix). Given how people lit up CDPR for Cyberpunk (which was relatively bug-free compared to the Bethesda stuff), I don't think anyone should be surprised that Rockstar would follow its normal practice and have a long lead time.

My one concern is they'll lean too heavily into the online part and shortchange the single player story.

Zoomers in over drive.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Awful.

I agree that the focus was entirely different compared to previous first GTA trailers (see video below). If anything it was a technical showcase to show how much Rockstar was able to leverage on the next-gen hardware (e.g. lighting, amount of traffic, draw distance, etc.).

I think we can all agree that a well written single player story arc would be very welcome! Personally I really enjoyed the story (and physics model) of GTA IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjhKzvhW-fc

Edited by Paul K.
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Paul K. said:

I agree that the focus was entirely different compared to previous first GTA trailers (see video below). If anything it was a technical showcase to show how much Rockstar was able to leverage on the next-gen hardware (e.g. lighting, amount of traffic, draw distance, etc.).

I think we can all agree that a well written single player story arc would be very welcome! Personally I really enjoyed the story (and physics model) of GTA IV.

I actually preferred the story in GTA IV (and the two follow-on content packs) to GTAV, but I also think V suffered from having three protagonists. It's a really cool idea, but it does mean you have to skimp somewhere. But any of them are better than the messes Bethesda puts out. CDPR is also pretty good at storytelling.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Paul K. said:

I am not sure about the whole Bonnie and Clyde storyline. If this is the case of course, the whole rise to the top by committing robberies left right and centre is seriously tiring.  

I was hoping for a mature, intriguing storyline, something completely new.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Awful.

Lol..i wouldnt express myself better as you did. Weirdly (or not, but obviously) the same idiots partying on the beach seems to be everywhere doing bullshit. Here in Rio the situation its damn worst than you could imagine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So there were some complaints from a part of the gaming community that between GTA IV and V the car control and damage physics were changed from very realistic to very arcade. Obviously it's a matter of preference and some love more of a real life simulator while others want to just have fun. Some wonder if Rockstar could/would include a settings switch in GTA VI which would allow the user to flip between the two physics modes to satisfy both camps. Obviously this at a minimum includes developing two versions of the physics and probably a lot of contingencies of the interactions with the game world, so tons of work and possibly memory/performance issues.

Where I'm going with that, I dream they would/could implement a switch for the GTA VI world to flip between modern Vice City and the 80s Vice City, where cars, NPCs, style (buildings maybe too much) would convert and limit to that time period. Music would be the easiest part of course... Missions would need to be adjusted... Overall sounds like an impossible endeavor, but one can dream. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

So there were some complaints from a part of the gaming community that between GTA IV and V the car control and damage physics were changed from very realistic to very arcade. Obviously it's a matter of preference and some love more of a real life simulator while others want to just have fun. Some wonder if Rockstar could/would include a settings switch in GTA VI which would allow the user to flip between the two physics modes to satisfy both camps. Obviously this at a minimum includes developing two versions of the physics and probably a lot of contingencies of the interactions with the game world, so tons of work and possibly memory/performance issues.

Where I'm going with that, I dream they would/could implement a switch for the GTA VI world to flip between modern Vice City and the 80s Vice City, where cars, NPCs, style (buildings maybe too much) would convert and limit to that time period. Music would be the easiest part of course... Missions would need to be adjusted... Overall sounds like an impossible endeavor, but one can dream. 

I could see something similar to the add-ons for GTA IV allowing for something like that, honestly. Not part of the basic game, but additional content. Rockstar does have a history of this (GTA IV and RDR, along with GTA III and even Vice City if I remember rightly...although they skipped over Los Santos for additional content), but they seem to have stopped doing it once they got into having junk online.

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 12/7/2023 at 7:33 AM, RedDragon86 said:

I am not sure about the whole Bonnie and Clyde storyline. If this is the case of course, the whole rise to the top by committing robberies left right and centre is seriously tiring.  

I was hoping for a mature, intriguing storyline, something completely new.

Well the original plan was supposed to be a Narcos/Cocaine Cowboys thing with smuggling between South America and the US being the main focus (the female and male dual characters was always a thing even then), however it was deemed too ambitious so they had to downscale and ended up with this. It could still be about that however (post launch story DLC?), we haven't seen anything except for the fact that they're a couple and rob a place. It could be "Bonnie & Clyde" as in a couple who rob together, or could even just mean a couple who are partners in crime, any crime and start a business/organization in various vices. I'm sure there will be a lot more to it than just a classic Bonnie and Clyde story. We've seen like 0.5% of the story.

The trailer itself seems to be mocking real Florida, all the social stuff is a parody of things which actually happened and went viral over the internet. They might mock Gen Z culture throughout the game. It was a weird choice to include all that social media stuff in the trailer, I must admit. I was more impressed by the dense and huge world they built and the graphics around it, it's a huge technological accomplishment.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, James said:

Well the original plan was supposed to be a Narcos/Cocaine Cowboys thing with smuggling between South America and the US being the main focus (the female and male dual characters was always a thing even then), however it was deemed too ambitious so they had to downscale and ended up with this. It could still be about that however (post launch story DLC?), we haven't seen anything except for the fact that they're a couple and rob a place. It could be "Bonnie & Clyde" as in a couple who rob together, or could even just mean a couple who are partners in crime, any crime and start a business/organization in various vices. I'm sure there will be a lot more to it than just a classic Bonnie and Clyde story. We've seen like 0.5% of the story.

The trailer itself seems to be mocking real Florida, all the social stuff is a parody of things which actually happened and went viral over the internet. They might mock Gen Z culture throughout the game. It was a weird choice to include all that social media stuff in the trailer, I must admit. I was more impressed by the dense and huge world they built and the graphics around it, it's a huge technological accomplishment.

They kind of did the same thing with RDR2's initial trailers if I remember right. Pitching the whole "outlaws forever" thing when the actual story line was quite different. It's possible they might do the same switching protagonists thing here, too. You never know. I tend to think they included the social media stuff both to showcase tech and to possibly foreshadow one element of the game (social media did play a role in GTAV, just to a much lesser degree). It's also possible the "couple robbing a store" thing is something like the prequel they used in GTAV. We just don't know at this point.

I have very mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm thrilled to see Florida culture ("culture") featured. I'm excited to see how the world building is. If it's anything like RDR2 (GTA V's word sucked honestly), we're in for a treat. Hopefully not a sterile, hollow world like GTA V. Seeing Vice City return is just awesome and although the characters and vehicle models and animations look questionable, the environment looks incredible. Also love that Elvis was featured in the trailer. :cheers:

On the other hand, they overdid the social media thing. Like, we can't even live in real life inside a video game? I'm tired of being bombarded with social media at every turn, despite having it I don't use it much. The character models and their animations looked very stiff and not lifelike. The cars also looked a bit lackluster. My fear is that they've simply used the old engine that was used in GTA V. I'm not going to get political, but I'll say that I really hope that the game doesn't push any political agendas. I am so incredibly sick of being unable to enjoy entertainment without some kind of snarky political agenda being pushed.

For those of you who haven't been to Miami, yes, this trailer is 100% accurate of what it's like there now, for better or worse. All things considered, I'm looking forward to the game, although I'm a PC player and won't buy a console. In that case, we're most likely looking at 2026-2027 for a PC release if past Rockstar release patterns are anything to judge on.

And I'm just gonna say it, the white bikini chick was insanely bad and I'm ashamed for feeling that way :)

• Like 3

GTAV, I think, put too much effort into the switchable characters thing and did skimp on the world. Parts of it were pretty good, honestly, but there were too many buildings you couldn't enter and too much stuff you couldn't do. And I also wouldn't read too much into a short first trailer like we've seen. But Rockstar being Rockstar I'd say the odds are fairly good some parts of the engine will be reused (like their frankly terrible combat engine). If there are politics, I think it will do what they usually do and reflect the TV and film version of the US. You'll see overblown crap from both sides of the spectrum presented as background noise or window dressing while the game on the whole will ignore it and go about its business. Unless they have another Lester in the game, in which case you'll see something. And as for social media...consider how they mocked it relentlessly in GTAV. You may see that trend continued here.

• Like 2

Ok, I admit I have never played this game.  My best friend does.  In fact I have sat and watched him playing for hours.  I have had a great time watching and laughing so hard I had tears. There are some gamers on Youtube that I follow and it does look to be a blast of fun.  

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

GTAV, I think, put too much effort into the switchable characters thing and did skimp on the world. Parts of it were pretty good, honestly, but there were too many buildings you couldn't enter and too much stuff you couldn't do. And I also wouldn't read too much into a short first trailer like we've seen. But Rockstar being Rockstar I'd say the odds are fairly good some parts of the engine will be reused (like their frankly terrible combat engine). If there are politics, I think it will do what they usually do and reflect the TV and film version of the US. You'll see overblown crap from both sides of the spectrum presented as background noise or window dressing while the game on the whole will ignore it and go about its business. Unless they have another Lester in the game, in which case you'll see something. And as for social media...consider how they mocked it relentlessly in GTAV. You may see that trend continued here.

Yeah I am really hoping for an overhaul to some core gameplay elements. And Rockstar is well-known for social commentary and satire, which is fine with me. I believe this trailer has a touch of that. My point being that Rockstar has some massive shoes to fill with this entry and not everyone will be pleased no matter what they do.

14 hours ago, BunMVO said:

I have very mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm thrilled to see Florida culture ("culture") featured. I'm excited to see how the world building is. If it's anything like RDR2 (GTA V's word sucked honestly), we're in for a treat. Hopefully not a sterile, hollow world like GTA V. Seeing Vice City return is just awesome and although the characters and vehicle models and animations look questionable, the environment looks incredible. Also love that Elvis was featured in the trailer. :cheers:

On the other hand, they overdid the social media thing. Like, we can't even live in real life inside a video game? I'm tired of being bombarded with social media at every turn, despite having it I don't use it much. The character models and their animations looked very stiff and not lifelike. The cars also looked a bit lackluster. My fear is that they've simply used the old engine that was used in GTA V. I'm not going to get political, but I'll say that I really hope that the game doesn't push any political agendas. I am so incredibly sick of being unable to enjoy entertainment without some kind of snarky political agenda being pushed.

For those of you who haven't been to Miami, yes, this trailer is 100% accurate of what it's like there now, for better or worse. All things considered, I'm looking forward to the game, although I'm a PC player and won't buy a console. In that case, we're most likely looking at 2026-2027 for a PC release if past Rockstar release patterns are anything to judge on.

And I'm just gonna say it, the white bikini chick was insanely bad and I'm ashamed for feeling that way :)

I agree on the white bikini chick, except her hair, and generally share your concern. But overall I think we have too few datapoints so far to make a sound judgement on the future game. Let's wait for at least more trailers and see. This video calmed me down a bit: 

As for the "culture", well the game is literally eponymous to a criminal act, it's not supposed to showcase the finest parts of the society. We had the hoods and redneck wasteland in GTA V which worked just fine without everybody thinking, I'd guess, that that's all LA area has to offer. And GTA Vice City had bunch of Cuban and Haitian gang activity for which it probably got its share of flack from the respective communities just like some backlash now for the GTA 6 trailer which shows others in a bad light. We can always go drive around the Arsht Center in GTA 6 to get some culture before going back to some mission killing spree :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BunMVO said:

Yeah I am really hoping for an overhaul to some core gameplay elements. And Rockstar is well-known for social commentary and satire, which is fine with me. I believe this trailer has a touch of that. My point being that Rockstar has some massive shoes to fill with this entry and not everyone will be pleased no matter what they do.

Of course not everyone will be pleased. If they were, I'd think Rockstar had lost their touch. I'm not too concerned about anything at this point, as it's the first trailer and so many things will change before release. I'm more interested in what they did with the garbage combat mechanics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Marc said:

this got uploaded 3 weeks ago, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Saving it for the Christmas break.

It's an awesome documentary! I didn't post it in this thread because it's not focused on Grand Theft Auto, but rather on Miami Vice, so I posted it in Miami Miscellaneous, about a week ago: 

• Like 2