Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

13 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I have seen screen clips and pics of the Koch/Plaion set...and I’ve talked to others who do have it. I’m not making it up. But, those intensified colors may be what you like. 

The Fabulous & Elephant sets I have not seen or heard...I’m only going by what I’ve read from others in the past.

I’ve seen and know what Turbine can do with their products...so regardless of the other sets, I know “if” they would do an MV set, it would be the best out of anything so far.

But, I get it...you don’t want that to happen. It’s not a problem, because as I’ve stated it’s not something in the works (that I know of), and I don’t foresee it happening. Again, it was just a wish or cool “idea”...not something to cause upset or problems. 

So, we’ve both stated our opinions on the idea of a uncut/unedited Blu-ray set of the quality of a company like Turbine multiple times...and we’re starting to beat the proverbial dead horse. :p Let’s move on. :funky:

Thing is, you say that, but then you say I "don't want that to happen". I never said that. I was looking for a sound, objective reason for it ever to happen, and I never found one. And I can't see any evidence that Turbine would do anything with the picture that Plaion didn't and if they did, on what they would base it. I think you have a mythical idea of what you'd like to see with this series, whereas what I'm looking for is actual specific things and to see if it's enough. I don't think we differ on personally wanting the best for the show. I just think my realism is being misread by you as disinterest or negativity, when it's anything but :tasse_prost:

50 minutes ago, bodie said:

Thing is, you say that, but then you say I "don't want that to happen". I never said that. I was looking for a sound, objective reason for it ever to happen, and I never found one. And I can't see any evidence that Turbine would do anything with the picture that Plaion didn't and if they did, on what they would base it. I think you have a mythical idea of what you'd like to see with this series, whereas what I'm looking for is actual specific things and to see if it's enough. I don't think we differ on personally wanting the best for the show. I just think my realism is being misread by you as disinterest or negativity, when it's anything but :tasse_prost:

What I would like for the show, is to have it in an uncut/unedited set of the quality of Turbine...I’ve seen what they can do, and watched reviews/videos of their products & how they improve older things. That is not “mythical”.

But, MV will sadly probably never really get a “great” or “perfect” release (especially with only syndicated episodes used), and the sets out there are what-is. Again, we just keep saying the same things over and over...and it’s time to move on. :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

What I would like for the show, is to have it in an uncut/unedited set of the quality of Turbine...I’ve seen what they can do, and watched reviews/videos of their products & how they improve older things. That is not “mythical”.

But, MV will sadly probably never really get a “great” or “perfect” release (especially with only syndicated episodes used), and the sets out there are what-is. Again, we just keep saying the same things over and over...and it’s time to move on. :thumbsup: 

You're not making sense because you're basing it on stuff you've not seen. If you have seen the Plaion looking neon, that was the fault of the conditions of display. I own the Turbine KR, there is nothing about it that sets video treatment aside from Plaion. You are looking for something that doesn't exist because you don't want to shell out for what does. I get it and each to their own, but arguing it objectively doesn't stack up; Plaion = meh, mythical Turbine version = grail. I think that's nonsense.

8 minutes ago, bodie said:

You're not making sense because you're basing it on stuff you've not seen. If you have seen the Plaion looking neon, that was the fault of the conditions of display. I own the Turbine KR, there is nothing about it that sets video treatment aside from Plaion. You are looking for something that doesn't exist because you don't want to shell out for what does. I get it and each to their own, but arguing it objectively doesn't stack up; Plaion = meh, mythical Turbine version = grail. I think that's nonsense.

I’ve made sense...you just don’t like/agree with it. Do I consider Turbine to be a “grail” of sorts for Blu-ray releases...absolutely! But, I’ve seen what they can do...there’s nothing “mythical” about it.

I’m not shelling out the insane price Koch/Plaion is asking...for the same syndicated/cut episodes that every other company has put out (whereas Turbine used original uncut/unedited episodes of KR), and for what I do consider altered colors. However, if you like the Koch set...awesome, good for you. There are those I know that have stuck with the original season DVD sets...there’s nothing wrong with whatever set you want to get.

But, this has gotten very ridiculous, considering there is no other set of MV coming out (that I know of), so I don’t know why you care...and I only brought up the “wish” or “idea” of a Turbine quality set for fun, not to upset anyone. We both know what the other’s opinions are (multiple times over), so let’s let it go & move on. 

Not upset, but I appreciate the clarification. I've been playing the ball, not the man. I've said I believe we're coming from the same place - love for the show. But owning both German products in question and looking at your basis for comparison, you've got it all wrong if you think Turbine would magically be worth that kind of money and that Plaion isn't worth it because you've seen it incorrectly presented. But I'm not going to convince you, even though we've got screen caps that back me up. And I don't want to upset you when all I'm trying to do is say much of what you want already exists and you're ignoring it. But I won't go over why again, as you say, we've been there. Best wishes to you :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, bodie said:

Not upset, but I appreciate the clarification. I've been playing the ball, not the man. I've said I believe we're coming from the same place - love for the show. But owning both German products in question and looking at your basis for comparison, you've got it all wrong if you think Turbine would magically be worth that kind of money and that Plaion isn't worth it because you've seen it incorrectly presented. But I'm not going to convince you, even though we've got screen caps that back me up. And I don't want to upset you when all I'm trying to do is say much of what you want already exists and you're ignoring it. But I won't go over why again, as you say, we've been there. Best wishes to you :thumbsup:

If Turbine could get a hold of original uncut episodes of MV (as it did with KR), it would definitely be better than any other previous set. All the MV sets are syndicated/edited copies...and again, I consider Koch’s colors too neon/bright. I’ve seen screen caps & stills of scenes. So, no...what I want for MV doesn’t exist. 

What I want is Turbine quality original, uncut NBC airings complete with the original commercial-bumpers included. But, it doesn’t matter, as that’s probably never going to happen. What’s out there is out there. Get what you like.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 7:07 AM, bodie said:

this is the best Blu-ray version yet. But, as ever, do keep your DVDs for the little things that all of the Blu-rays have wrong, which are due to Universal's HD masters - that's not going to change. You want the best there is though and it's absolutely not worth ignoring the whole of the programme in lossless sound and HD picture for a few slips with these masters. And as we say, the Elephant release is the best there is :cool:

On 2/21/2023 at 5:42 PM, bodie said:

Elephant had no audio issues and is actually the highest spec audio of any of them.

@bodie This is long, but I’ve broken it up to where it’s hopefully easy to read. So...since you had mentioned before that one of the best Blu-ray sets was the Elephant Films one, l decided to look more into it (as I had with the Koch one in the past). Back when all the Blu-ray sets from different places & companies were being released, I’d looked into most and/or all of them, and as with the others I’d read some reviews/articles/thoughts on the Fabulous Films & Elephant Films sets.

I think I misunderstood that the audio & picture quality issues talked about were pretty much solely with the Fabulous Films set...and I thought it meant there were issues with both when they were comparing the two sets, when in fact it was just the FF’s one. Because I thought there were problems with both, I’d pretty much ignored both from then on.

Now that I’ve looked closer into the Elephant Films one, I’ve found it is probably the best set of the show (that’s commercially available ;))! :thumbsup: I’m sure he’s been doing it for a long time, but I’ve recently discovered a guy on YouTube that does really awesome reviews for all physical media sets (that he gets a hold of, or is sent by the companies). I think his YouTube channel is called “In Search of Physical Media”. He’s the one that did the review on the Turbine KR set, and was the “selling point” on it for me.

Anyway I looked it up, and he did a short but informative YouTube review on the Elephant Films MV Blu-ray set. He even said he thinks it’s better than the German ones (Koch/Plaion) with how it looks & sounds, and it’s one of his favorite sets he has! I know some will disagree with that part, but I found it interesting.

Now, he also said he thinks the Mill Creek set was really bad, and almost like a VHS transfer, lol :)...but I disagree with that. I know Mill Creek is known as a budget company, and because of that some don't like them...but, I still think their MV set is really good!

But, after seeing his review of the EF’s set, I decided to try and get it. You may know or even have this/these, but there’s 2 different versions...one is the big/huge set, with info booklet and maybe other memorabilia items. However, I think the info booklet is in French...and I don’t know much French, lol. :p Plus, I have tons of info, trivia, episode guides, photos, memorabilia, etc...that I’ve collected over the years. So I don’t have to have all that—as (like Koch/Plaion) it’s very insanely expensive! :eek: But, there’s a smaller box set as well, without the booklet, and I was able to find one not too terribly expensive.

As a collector I sometimes like having different versions of the same thing to compare for fun (although not always). However, if there’s issues with one set/company that I’ve seen or know of, I sometimes won’t get that.

With MV, since ALL the sets from everyone are syndicated/edited versions (Koch/Plaion’s “uncut” episodes are just the same U.S. cut ones we’ve always had, but they’re newer for the German audience—as they originally had even worse edited TV reruns than we did), I not only consider picture & audio quality, but price as well! I’ll pay higher prices for original/uncut episodes (such as Turbine’s KR set)...but syndicated versions are a different story.

But, after I looked more specifically into the EF’s MV set, it sounded awesome, compared to any of the others! That’s also somewhat ironic to me, as out of all the Blu-ray sets, the one I’ve heard the least about (until I really went digging) is the EF’s one.

Also, another aspect I really like about it is it’s region free, so it can be played anywhere & on any Blu-ray player (although I have region free players). The Fabulous Films set I believe is Region B locked, so might Plaion’s set-?, and of course anything from the U.S. is probably Region A locked (for those outside the U.S.). Including both the 2.0 lossless sound, plus the 5.1 Surround Sound for both the original English & the French audio (if I'm using the correct terminology) is a really cool feature as well!

Not gonna lie...I still wish Turbine could put out a set of MV (as the YouTube guy said the Turbine set of KR was way better than even the previous Elephant Films, Fabulous Films, and Mill Creek sets of it). Again, to me the ultimate set of MV would be original/uncut episodes (instead of the syndicated/edited ones), with the quality of a company like Turbine. However, I know that probably will never happen. But, I am really loving the Elephant Films set--the colors are perfect, and the sound & HD quality, etc...are amazing! :dance2: 

The only issue I really have (other than there's a couple intros/theme song scenes that still look to be almost old VHS quality...but I can live with that, as most seem to have been digitally restored in HD) is the cover art & colors of the box. The silhouette/caricature idea is kind of cool...but some are a little "off", and the colors should have been the trademark MV teal & pink, in my opinion. Instead they seem to have gone with what I call the faux-logo colors...the "fake" purple & green logo, reruns created later on for Seasons 3-5. But, that's not that big of a deal to me...I can live with the box art, as the episodes themselves are superb & definitely the best available! :clap: For those who haven't seen it before & are wondering, I included pictures of my EF's set with captions below: 

EF1.thumb.jpg.01518600705722f429c3736ea3dfabff.jpg

This is the front/top cover

EF2.thumb.jpg.3fd9b3f8efe189cfa27ca50ac71734cf.jpg

This is actually the side/spine cover art. I find it really interesting that they included some of the famous guest stars and/or recurring characters as well, besides just the main cast--such as Tony Amato (Bruce Willis), Valerie Gordon (Pam Grier), Caitlin Davies (Sheena Easton), and even Izzy Moreno (Martin Ferrero) & I think the guy with the goofy pink glasses might be Noogie (Charlie Barnett)? I think the guy up by Switek is supposed to be Lt. Lou Rodriguez (Gregory Sierra). But, interesting if not eclectic group of characters to include for the box art. :funky: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 6:14 AM, SwissTubbs said:

So Folks....

German Label Koch Media (now under the new Name Plaion Pictures) will after more than two years Re-Release their very popular Miami Vice Blu Ray Boxset!

As it seems at the moment It will be Shop Exclusive like the first release but at least available again!
It has the same Discs as in 2020 but in a new packaging with new design.

It will be available in December.
As soon as it have a pre-order Link and Pictures of the new Artwork i will post it here.

Can I confirm this is the official shop for Koch Media | Plaion for recently re- released MV high quality blu ray set? I think @Tommay know.

https://shop.plaionpictures.com/miami-vice-die-komplette-serie-in-hd-35-blu-rays-exkl-shop

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

Can I confirm this is the official shop for Koch Media | Plaion for recently re- released MV high quality blu ray set? I think @Tommay know.

https://shop.plaionpictures.com/miami-vice-die-komplette-serie-in-hd-35-blu-rays-exkl-shop

Yes that’s it. That‘s the second edition. The first, released in October 2020 and identical in content was quickly sold out. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry to jump in with a question that’s probably been covered and discussed at length somewhere along the way, but looking for a simple answer without having to trawl through this whole thread - what’s the best release of the show on Blu-ray?

I’m in the UK and I don’t currently have a multi-region player, so Region B would be best. If the packaging/liner notes/disc menus are in English as well that’d be preferable. But really I’m curious which edition has the best picture/audio quality and the fewest issues!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Sorry to jump in with a question that’s probably been covered and discussed at length somewhere along the way, but looking for a simple answer without having to trawl through this whole thread - what’s the best release of the show on Blu-ray?

I’m in the UK and I don’t currently have a multi-region player, so Region B would be best. If the packaging/liner notes/disc menus are in English as well that’d be preferable. But really I’m curious which edition has the best picture/audio quality and the fewest issues!

Lol, there is a ton of info and opinions throughout this entire thread, true! Some will disagree with me, but...after researching, acquiring myself, and ultimately watching—in my opinion the best or ultimate Blu-ray set is the French Elephant Films Complete Series set. :thumbsup: 

The colors are superb & definitely restored to how they originally looked & were meant to be—but in HD, and the picture quality & sound is amazing! 

I’m in the U.S., but, I have a region free Blu-ray player, so I can watch any DVD or Blu-ray from anywhere. However, the Elephant Films Blu-ray set is region free, so anyone can watch it anywhere worldwide! Others will also like the UK Fabulous Films or the German Koch/Plaion sets. I also think the U.S. Mill Creek Blu-ray set is pretty good as well. But, out of all of them I think the Elephant Films one is the best. 

I found it on Amazon...there’s 2 different sets, a deluxe one with a French show info booklet, or the regular set not quite as expensive that doesn’t include the booklet. I got that one, as I already have all the info on the series, and the deluxe set is pretty expensive. ;) 

Good luck, and hope you find a set that is best for you! :dance2: 

2F2B8C95-EDEA-40D0-BDD5-868496C78413.jpeg

This is a photo of the deluxe set.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Leigh Burne:

The best quality (fully re-scanned picture from original master, full English and German with subtitles) is Plaion (ex Koch company, Germany, thus region 2). https://shop.plaionpictures.com/miami-vice-die-komplette-serie-in-hd-35-blu-rays-exkl-shop

• Like 3

@Leigh Burne—A couple things to keep in mind when acquiring a set, is that most or all will include the original English audio, as well as other languages and/or subtitles too.

Also, regardless of what some sets claim...all home video DVD & Blu-ray sets by ALL companies & countries used syndicated reruns (aka cut/edited) for the episodes. Sadly these are what Universal themselves chose to use when releasing the original season DVD sets, and subsequently those are what they made available to everyone else as well.

However, originally other countries’ reruns (outside the U.S.) were even more edited/cut than the U.S. ones were. When the German set was created, for the first time they got access to the less edited U.S. rerun versions, that Universal made available. That is what their “uncut” original masters refers to, as they were more “complete” for the German audience, for the first time.

But, in reality they’re actually not true uncut/unedited original NBC airings. Sadly, no set is...true uncut episodes unfortunately are not commercially available. ;( But, for what is officially available...in all honesty, you can’t do better than Blu-ray, whichever set you choose! :funky:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Just now, pmconroy said:

Hey guys, is it worth picking up a Blu-Ray boxset and Blu-Ray player just to watch the series?

(I know the answer is YES, but I'm wondering if I should spend any cash on a Blu-Ray player mostly :)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb pmconroy:

(I know the answer is YES, but I'm wondering if I should spend any cash on a Blu-Ray player mostly :)

With blu ray players for much less than 100 bucks (at least where I live) that’s a no-brainer for me :)

Good BR sets of the series like Plaion one cost more than the player by the way :p

8 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Hey guys, is it worth picking up a Blu-Ray boxset and Blu-Ray player just to watch the series?

7 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Blu-ray players are not that expensive, even region free ones you can buy online. Sony is the brand I like to go with, but there are others. 

In my opinion the difference between the original season DVD sets, and Blu-ray, is definitely noticeable! With older TV shows or movies, it is definitely worth going with Blu-ray if it’s available.

In my opinion, the best Blu-ray set is definitely the French Elephant Films one. It’s region free, so it can be watched anywhere worldwide! It includes both the original English audio, as well as French, and it includes options for sound...the original 2.0 lossless & the 5.1 surround sound (some think the original sound is actually better for various reasons). I found it on Amazon, and there are two different sets. One is the big deluxe one, that includes a show info booklet and other memorabilia. The other is the regular set, that doesn’t include the show booklet (that is in French). That one is not as insanely expensive as the deluxe set, or the German sets. ;)

But, there are others, such as the UK Fabulous Films one, and the U.S. Mill Creek one. Whichever one you go with, with what is officially/commercially available, you can’t do better than Blu-ray! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

• 7 months later...

Does the Koch Blu-Ray set have lossless Stereo?

What Region is the Koch Blu-Ray set?  Will it play in US Blu-Ray players?

Edited by crowe-t

5 minutes ago, crowe-t said:

The Elephant Films Blu-ray set includes both the original lossless sound, and the 5.1 surround sound. It’s also region free…so it can be played anywhere worldwide. The German Koch/Plaion set is region locked for whatever Germany is.

In my opinion I also don’t care for what the German set did with the colors (compared to other sets), and their claim of uncut episodes is actually not true. Their “uncut” versions are just the same syndicated U.S. versions people in the U.S. already had/have.

But, in the past other countries, including Germany, had even worse edited/cut episodes than the U.S. ones. In recent years they finally were able to get a hold of the less edited U.S. versions…so that is their idea of “uncut”, when in reality they’re more “complete” than previous German episodes, but still syndicated/edited versions (as ALL home video & streaming versions are).

But, they are NOT true original NBC airing, uncut episodes. Sadly, there is no “official” original airing, uncut set out there. I’m 99% positive Universal chose to use TV Land’s syndicated reruns for the original season DVD sets. These versions are what they’ve made available to all the other companies & countries (including the German Koch/Plaion one), for their DVD & Blu-ray sets.

• Like 1

I thought the TV Land reruns were cut to like 45 mins each. I know the Spike ones were. Lots of parts missing on my old VHS recordings from those. 

This release is intended for the European market, so it is in region B

7 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Audio:

German: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

Koch Films release is intended for the European market, so it is in region B.
You won't be able to play this set on an US Blu-Ray player
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I thought the TV Land reruns were cut to like 45 mins each. I know the Spike ones were. Lots of parts missing on my old VHS recordings from those. 

I’ve heard Spike cut their shows really bad. All networks showing reruns edit episodes to make time for their commercials & advertisements.

I’m not exactly sure how much was cut out of each episode for any certain network…it could be as little as a few seconds here-and-there, or as much as a few minutes here-and-there. It depends on the episode & network, of how much is edited. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 9:17 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Blu-ray players are not that expensive, even region free ones you can buy online. Sony is the brand I like to go with, but there are others. 

In my opinion the difference between the original season DVD sets, and Blu-ray, is definitely noticeable! With older TV shows or movies, it is definitely worth going with Blu-ray if it’s available.

In my opinion, the best Blu-ray set is definitely the French Elephant Films one. It’s region free, so it can be watched anywhere worldwide! It includes both the original English audio, as well as French, and it includes options for sound...the original 2.0 lossless & the 5.1 surround sound (some think the original sound is actually better for various reasons). I found it on Amazon, and there are two different sets. One is the big deluxe one, that includes a show info booklet and other memorabilia. The other is the regular set, that doesn’t include the show booklet (that is in French). That one is not as insanely expensive as the deluxe set, or the German sets. ;)

But, there are others, such as the UK Fabulous Films one, and the U.S. Mill Creek one. Whichever one you go with, with what is officially/commercially available, you can’t do better than Blu-ray! :thumbsup:

Thanks for explaining this to me.  I'm leaning towards the Elephant Films Blu-Ray set.

The Elephant Films Blu-Ray set will play in U.S. Blu-Ray players? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crowe-t said:

Thanks for explaining this to me.  I'm leaning towards the Elephant Films Blu-Ray set.

The Elephant Films Blu-Ray set will play in U.S. Blu-Ray players? 

Yes…even though it’s made by a French company, it’s region free! So, it can be played anywhere worldwide. However, even if it wasn’t, getting a region free Blu-ray player is not that hard or expensive either.

I found the EF’s set on Amazon. There were actually two different sets…one a deluxe set that included a bunch of memorabilia as well & was pretty expensive. There’s also a “regular” set that doesn’t have the extra stuff, and isn’t as expensive.

The menus are in French, but in all honesty they’re actually not very hard to figure out or navigate. The set includes the original English audio track, as well as a French one, and for sound it includes both the original 2.0 lossless sound (which some prefer) & the 5.1 surround sound.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

Elephant films set has two problems that depends on your taste, the look of the set and the colors in the episodes, the deluxe edition is good but all of the extra stuff is written in French