Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

26 minutes ago, Miami Beau said:

Yes the later. The editions put out by Image Entertainment were all on region 1 (not playable in the UK). The UK editions I have were put out by anchor bay entertainment and those are the ones I’m familiar with. There very well could have been a rights issue with the distribution in North America but until I purchase the one from Image, I would just be guessing. 

I know the crime series “Wise Guy” had song issues with there dvd releases in North America. Ultimately opting to remove large chunks of songs in the process, so the same may have happened with Crime Story. 

There may have been music rights issues with releasing the show with the original songs in the U.S. (if Image wasn’t willing to pay to do that), but if another company outside the U.S. did & they’ve created sets with the songs...you can probably find them online somewhere (eBay?). Even if it’s eBay or Amazon outside the U.S., if the purchase itself was done or made in that country (in person or online), then I would think it could be shipped anywhere. All you need is a region free DVD or Blu-ray player, and they’re not that much more than a region 1 or US./Canada player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beware of Crime Story The complete Works. It is anything but. A single DVD with a runtime of 98 mins. Hardly complete .

I have the old Anchor Bay season 1 and 2 DVD boxsets. They each contain 5 DVD's in poor quality dvd holders. The covers are nice enough though.

I got these so long ago I can't remember where they came from. All I do know is that they play just fine on my Australian DVD players. So maybe they're region free?

Music-wise I never noticed any substitutions of tracks. It has been so long, and I was always more a Vice guy, so my memory would only recall obvious omissions.

Edited by fakespyder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 7:01 PM, Miami Beau said:

No worries buddy. Yes the later. The editions put out by Image Entertainment were all on region 1 (not playable in the UK). The UK editions I have were put out by anchor bay entertainment and those are the ones I’m familiar with. There very well could have been a rights issue with the distribution in North America but until I purchase the one from Image, I would just be guessing. 

I know the crime series “Wise Guy” had song issues with there dvd releases in North America. Ultimately opting to remove large chunks of songs in the process, so the same may have happened with Crime Story. 

Cool. I have the Image version, but alas it's in storage at the moment so I can't grab it to check any particular tracks. When I can lay my hands on it again it might be fun to do some comparisons :radio:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

ViceFanMan made this interesting comment in another thread :

"Universal executives also stated that “for the movies & TV shows destroyed in that fire...they still had digital backups for everything stored at a different location, and that everything could be replaced if needed—nothing was lost forever” (and those were direct quotes)!

The 08 fire even has its own Wikipedia page concerning it. If you look at what was lost “permanently” in that fire, it’s all mostly music recordings & tapes from the original artists. So, I’m wondering if original airings of MV could very well possibly still exist?"

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

ViceFanMan made this interesting comment in another thread :

"Universal executives also stated that “for the movies & TV shows destroyed in that fire...they still had digital backups for everything stored at a different location, and that everything could be replaced if needed—nothing was lost forever” (and those were direct quotes)!

The 08 fire even has its own Wikipedia page concerning it. If you look at what was lost “permanently” in that fire, it’s all mostly music recordings & tapes from the original artists. So, I’m wondering if original airings of MV could very well possibly still exist?"

Yeah, this was regarding a new anniversary Blu-ray set of Knight Rider, that for the first time since the show originally aired, has uncut/unedited episodes with original music. Universal provided original airings to make this happen, and a YouTube video review of this set mentions the 08 fire briefly. The quotes I found when further researching the Universal 2008 fire. It’d be awesome if original airings of MV still exist (I pretty much think they do, it just comes down to whether Universal wants to do anything with them)! 

• Like 1

If only it were as simple as going to original airings and that being good enough. The original broadcast tapes are standard definition dupes done on ancient equipment from the original film - absolutely not good enough to release today in high definition.

So what Turbine (Germany) did with KR was to take the best elements they could find and combine them with the fullest audio they could to create the best set yet for fans - best picture, best audio.

That is, to an extent, what Koch/Plaion (also Germany) did with MV. Just that they all have to go with what actually exists as usable assets. Paying to have a single film newly scanned from the negative is one thing, but over 90 hours of footage for a series is just never going to be possible for independent labels to make money from.

So as we know, the first story of MV is a fresh remaster from the film and the rest are older masters. They're all HD and all look good compared to the DVDs.

But at this stage, unless vintage 4K television becomes the necessary norm, I cannot see all of MV being given the same treatment as the first story and freshly scanned.

It's time and money spent for what, now the physical market is pretty niche and already has premium MV product. Who is going to need and pay for it all over again to a higher standard?.. ok a few hands raised here among the faithful.

But as we've said before, just look at Star Trek... not all the shows were fully remastered for Blu-ray because of the price the Blu-ray sets were on release to pay for the restoration work. Only the original and The Next Generation were completed - and that's a huge show with a big following, but not enough people willing to pay the day one asking price to justify the shows after that.

MV doesn't have all that effects work that needs to be redone on Trek, but even so... when you can get MV for $40 on Blu-ray now, that kind of works against any market beyond the Koch/Plaion and Elephant three figure premium price products.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bodie said:

If only it were as simple as going to original airings and that being good enough. The original broadcast tapes are standard definition dupes done on ancient equipment from the original film - absolutely not good enough to release today in high definition.

So what Turbine (Germany) did with KR was to take the best elements they could find and combine them with the fullest audio they could to create the best set yet for fans - best picture, best audio.

That is, to an extent, what Koch/Plaion (also Germany) did with MV. Just that they all have to go with what actually exists as usable assets. Paying to have a single film newly scanned from the negative is one thing, but over 90 hours of footage for a series is just never going to be possible for independent labels to make money from.

So as we know, the first story of MV is a fresh remaster from the film and the rest are older masters. They're all HD and all look good compared to the DVDs.

But at this stage, unless vintage 4K television becomes the necessary norm, I cannot see all of MV being given the same treatment as the first story and freshly scanned.

It's time and money spent for what, now the physical market is pretty niche and already has premium MV product. Who is going to need and pay for it all over again to a higher standard?.. ok a few hands raised here among the faithful.

But as we've said before, just look at Star Trek... not all the shows were fully remastered for Blu-ray because of the price the Blu-ray sets were on release to pay for the restoration work. Only the original and The Next Generation were completed - and that's a huge show with a big following, but not enough people willing to pay the day one asking price to justify the shows after that.

MV doesn't have all that effects work that needs to be redone on Trek, but even so... when you can get MV for $40 on Blu-ray now, that kind of works against any market beyond the Koch/Plaion and Elephant three figure premium price products.

From what I’ve researched and read, Turbine was given original film elements of original broadcasts of KR...so that’s what they used to restore. There’s films from the 1920s-1990s being restored from their original film elements to Blu-ray and/or 4K all the time.

I’m sure it’s lots of money and time, but many of the older TV shows have huge/cult followings today (in some cases they’re more popular now than when they were first on)! There’s large enough fan bases out there for not only KR, but MV, “Magnum”, and others to get their money’s worth.

With MV, only syndicated versions have been used (even by Koch/Plaion) and other aspects, such as color and sound, have been messed with or not quite up to par. If original airings of MV still exist, and in my opinion I think there’s a good chance they do, Turbine could definitely give MV the same superb treatment it did for KR! :thumbsup: It would just come down to Turbine taking the interest in doing it, and getting Universal on board. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

It sounds like the MV blue ray version does not make justice of our beloved show. Hope they come up with something for next year 40th anniversary!

The sets out there aren’t terrible by any means, and the Blu-ray quality is still amazing compared to the original DVDs. But...you’re right, no company or country (including Universal itself) has done true justice for MV!

The biggest thing, in my opinion, is not using syndicated reruns...and using unedited/uncut original airings (if they still exist in some way...and I think there’s a good chance they do). All of the companies & countries that have released DVD or Blu-ray sets have used syndicated (aka cut/edited) episodes—Universal itself, Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, Koch/Plaion-(their version of uncut episodes are just the U.S. cut/edited ones), Elephant Films, etc...

The next thing is restore the color and sound properly & how the show was originally created & meant to look. With all the previous home video sets, the colors and/or audio have either been messed with or not restored properly (although in my opinion Mill Creek is fairly close). If Turbine could get a hold of original uncut NBC airings of MV, and give it the same treatment it did Knight Rider...it would be superb! :clap: It probably won’t happen...but, it would be perfect for the show & its 40th anniversary. :dance2: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

If Turbine could get a hold of original uncut NBC airings of MV, and give it the same treatment it did Knight Rider...it would be superb! :clap: It probably won’t happen...but, it would be perfect for the show & its 40th anniversary

Yeah, I heard the KR blue ray set is amazing! So MV definitely deserves nothing less if more for its 40th birthday!

• Like 1

I must admit that the Koch set comes pretty close though! The quality is great for what it is, and it looks amazing on a big screen. The colors are of course a topic of discussion, but I think it looks fantastic, especially when there is sunlight in certain scenes. But there is of course always room for improvement :cheers:

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paul K. said:

I must admit that the Koch set comes pretty close though! The quality is great for what it is, and it looks amazing on a big screen. The colors are of course a topic of discussion, but I think it looks fantastic, especially when there is sunlight in certain scenes. But there is of course always room for improvement :cheers:

I know that the colors were definitely intensified, and in some ways look very vivid. However, it has been a topic of discussion :p, and sometimes they seem a little too bright & neon, rather than pastel. But, it comes down to personal preference & what you’re looking for in a set. Whatever you like, get it. :D However, you’re right...there’s definite room for improvement! Turbine would be superb—and they would do it not only right, but as “perfect” as you could get! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Yeah, I heard the KR blue ray set is amazing! So MV definitely deserves nothing less if more for its 40th birthday!

It’s definitely amazing & the best Blu-ray set of a TV show I’ve seen so far! It probably won’t happen, but MV definitely deserves the same!! :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Paul K. said:

That's the thing isn't it. Turbine had some work they could do; restoring music, German language, adding printed stuff, putting sequels/spinoffs in there. With MV we've got music, Koch/Plaion did printed stuff and German language and there aren't any sequels/spinoffs.

So that leads back to my earlier thinking... what more is there people would actually pay for? Given we know MV had terrible presentation on DVD in Germany in terms of language, cuts and quality - that is the main market for people spending as much as they have on the Koch/Plaion set. If it relied on international sales to people who can get the same shows for $40 or stream them, they'd not have gone there.

3 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

It sounds like the MV blue ray version does not make justice of our beloved show. Hope they come up with something for next year 40th anniversary!

They do fine. If you want bad, stream them. Whoever had them in the US last year, after they came off Peacock... I forget, it was one of the biggies, they were using the same masters as on the Blu-ray, but the sound was worse than VHS. As ever, the streams try to reduce the server load by shaving quality off in ways they hope people will not notice. But if you know the show, you've likely never heard it sound as bad.

9 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I know that the colors were definitely intensified, and in some ways look very vivid. However, it has been a topic of discussion :p, and sometimes they seem a little too bright & neon, rather than pastel. But, it comes down to personal preference & what you’re looking for in a set. Whatever you like, get it. :D However, you’re right...there’s definite room for improvement! Turbine would be superb—and they would do it not only right, but as “perfect” as you could get! :thumbsup: 

I dunno. We've only got off-air VHS to give any indication as to what was originally shown. And as we all know, things were brightened for CRT screens back in the day or else you really could lose things in the dark. And that's before you get into your broadcast signal quality and the vagueries of taping.

And also, the shows and movies were not professionally reference graded to anything, so the same title sequence would vary massively according to the equipment used to transfer it and how the equipment happened to be set up and what the operator thought looked good.

If anything, we should see the DVD and Blu-ray colours as the reference, not any of that old stuff, as what went on there was both antiquated and largely uncontrolled. Only the shooting was under direct control, not the production of the broadcast master, beyond the required spec... like innovative use of stereo, which thankfully can be chosen on Blu-ray.

Of course as fans we want more, but I really am not sure there is anything commercially viable for this series on physical format going forward in the streaming age. Unless, as I say, we get a vinyl revival style interest in 4K vintage television, with day one full price buying habits :fireworks:

44 minutes ago, bodie said:

That's the thing isn't it. Turbine had some work they could do; restoring music, German language, adding printed stuff, putting sequels/spinoffs in there. With MV we've got music, Koch/Plaion did printed stuff and German language and there aren't any sequels/spinoffs.

So that leads back to my earlier thinking... what more is there people would actually pay for? Given we know MV had terrible presentation on DVD in Germany in terms of language, cuts and quality - that is the main market for people spending as much as they have on the Koch/Plaion set. If it relied on international sales to people who can get the same shows for $40 or stream them, they'd not have gone there.

They do fine. If you want bad, stream them. Whoever had them in the US last year, after they came off Peacock... I forget, it was one of the biggies, they were using the same masters as on the Blu-ray, but the sound was worse than VHS. As ever, the streams try to reduce the server load by shaving quality off in ways they hope people will not notice. But if you know the show, you've likely never heard it sound as bad.

I dunno. We've only got off-air VHS to give any indication as to what was originally shown. And as we all know, things were brightened for CRT screens back in the day or else you really could lose things in the dark. And that's before you get into your broadcast signal quality and the vagueries of taping.

And also, the shows and movies were not professionally reference graded to anything, so the same title sequence would vary massively according to the equipment used to transfer it and how the equipment happened to be set up and what the operator thought looked good.

If anything, we should see the DVD and Blu-ray colours as the reference, not any of that old stuff, as what went on there was both antiquated and largely uncontrolled. Only the shooting was under direct control, not the production of the broadcast master, beyond the required spec... like innovative use of stereo, which thankfully can be chosen on Blu-ray.

Of course as fans we want more, but I really am not sure there is anything commercially viable for this series on physical format going forward in the streaming age. Unless, as I say, we get a vinyl revival style interest in 4K vintage television, with day one full price buying habits :fireworks:

In my opinion (and I have a feeling there’s a lot of other fans who feel the same) there’s definitely a market out there for a special edition and/or anniversary edition (if one would be made, say for its 40th) of MV...especially if it was done by a company such as Turbine! If KR’s fanbase can get it...I know MV’s could too! :thumbsup:

Although there are original airings of MV out there from people who originally recorded them (I have some), from what I’ve found & researched before, I think Universal still has original airings of MV...according to executives, every TV show & movie of theirs that was lost in the 08 fire, could be replaced if needed, as they have backups of everything at a different location. It was only tapes & recordings of songs by artists, who owned their music but it was stored at Universal vaults—so copies or backups weren’t made by Universal, that were supposedly lost “permanently”. 

If Turbine can get original airings of KR, and do what they did with the amazing color, picture quality, and sound (which blows every past DVD & Blu-ray set out of the proverbial water)...I know they could do the same with MV! ;) Some German companies, including Turbine, don’t seem to have a problem keeping original music, either...so that probably wouldn’t be a problem. 

It would just come down to Turbine wanting to do it, as they did with KR, and getting Universal on board. It probably won’t happen...I just know it could be done, should be done, and it would be amazing if it would be done! :dance:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Do what though? That's what I'm getting at. KR was adding value in the areas I mentioned. MV has had much the same. What are we missing, where would it come from and who, at this stage in the game, is the market that's waiting to buy it day one price?.. I'm totally with you, for us fans, more is more. But I can't see any real world factors that could give us any hope of becoming a viable further product :rain:

2 hours ago, bodie said:

Do what though? That's what I'm getting at. KR was adding value in the areas I mentioned. MV has had much the same. What are we missing, where would it come from and who, at this stage in the game, is the market that's waiting to buy it day one price?.. I'm totally with you, for us fans, more is more. But I can't see any real world factors that could give us any hope of becoming a viable further product :rain:

What are we missing? Well, as I mentioned before, no set of MV has been great...with color & audio. Before, it was the same with KR. It had syndicated episodes used by Universal—which in turn is what Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, and Elephant Films used—until Turbine got original airings from Universal, to restore better than anything that had been done before!

If original NBC, uncut/unedited episodes of MV could be restored to the quality of Turbine, I know there’d be fans & a fanbase out there that would want & buy it! Again...if KR can have it, so can MV! Magnum p.i. is another one. 

But, as I’ve also said, it probably won’t happen...so for those that wouldn’t want or care for it to happen for whatever reasons, it’s probably okay. :p I just know that MV has not gotten its true “justice”...and it could & should be done by Turbine. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

What are we missing? Well, as I mentioned before, no set of MV has been great...with color & audio. Before, it was the same with KR. It had syndicated episodes used by Universal—which in turn is what Mill Creek, Fabulous Films, and Elephant Films used—until Turbine got original airings from Universal, to restore better than anything that had been done before!

If original NBC, uncut/unedited episodes of MV could be restored to the quality of Turbine, I know there’d be fans & a fanbase out there that would want & buy it! Again...if KR can have it, so can MV! Magnum p.i. is another one. 

But, as I’ve also said, it probably won’t happen...so for those that wouldn’t want or care for it to happen for whatever reasons, it’s probably okay. :p I just know that MV has not gotten its true “justice”...and it could & should be done by Turbine. 

I don't agree with colour and audio, but I've said why. Cuts, what is cut from the current HD masters on Blu-ray and streaming? :baby:

41 minutes ago, bodie said:

I don't agree with colour and audio, but I've said why. Cuts, what is cut from the current HD masters on Blu-ray and streaming? :baby:

The colors & audio have had some issues with the different DVD & Blu-ray sets. What is cut? The versions Universal has used & made available to everyone else (Mill Creek, Koch/Plaion, Fabulous Films, Elephant Films, etc...) are syndicated rerun copies...which means they are cut/edited to some degree from the original airings. Streaming would use the same copies, as that’s what’s been made available.

Again, the idea that MV could finally get its deserved release in uncut/unedited episodes, in the superb Blu-ray quality Turbine does is just a proverbial pipe-dream. I’m sure it won’t happen. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

28 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

The colors & audio have had some issues with the different DVD & Blu-ray sets. What is cut? The versions Universal has used & made available to everyone else (Mill Creek, Koch/Plaion, Fabulous Films, Elephant Films, etc...) are syndicated rerun copies...which means they are cut/edited to some degree from the original airings. Streaming would use the same copies, as that’s what’s been made available.

Again, the idea that MV could finally get its deserved release in uncut/unedited episodes, in the superb Blu-ray quality Turbine does is just a proverbial pipe-dream. I’m sure it won’t happen. 

Sorry, not being a dick. I am asking what has been cut? Not what are the reasons for them having been cut :radar:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bodie said:

Sorry, not being a dick. I am asking what has been cut? Not what are the reasons for them having been cut :radar:

There are usually scenes cut out altogether or shortened...one example is “By Hooker By Crook”. There are cut & shortened scenes compared to the original airing. But all episodes would be edited or “trimmed” in some way. Another example of altering or changing something is the show logo being altered for Seasons 3-5. For some reason the logo was changed to this purple & green thing for later reruns (after USA’s reruns)...when that was never part of the original show. Originally all the logos for all seasons were some variation of teal & pink.

Any syndicated reruns are cut/edited to some degree for whichever network airing the reruns...to make time for their commercials & the companies/products sponsoring that network. Several cable networks have aired MV reruns over the years (USA, TNN, FX, TVLand, etc...). I’m fairly positive that Universal chose TVLand’s reruns for the original DVD season sets...which in turn is what they have made available to everyone else for their DVD & Blu-ray sets.

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

There are usually scenes cut out altogether or shortened...one example is “By Hooker By Crook”. There are cut & shortened scenes compared to the original airing. But all episodes would be edited or “trimmed” in some way. Another example of altering or changing something is the show logo being altered for Seasons 3-5. For some reason the logo was changed to this purple & green thing for later reruns (after USA’s reruns)...when that was never part of the original show. Originally all the logos for all seasons were some variation of teal & pink.

Any syndicated reruns are cut/edited to some degree for whichever network airing the reruns...to make time for their commercials & the companies/products sponsoring that network. Several cable networks have aired MV reruns over the years (USA, TNN, FX, TVLand, etc...). I’m fairly positive that Universal chose TVLand’s reruns for the original DVD season sets...which in turn is what they have made available to everyone else for their DVD & Blu-ray sets.

Ok, thanks. Thing is, there was an opportunity with Koch/Plaion to address niggles and some were done. But there was not and from what you're saying, is not, a concrete list of serious issues that a company could tackle that would be equivalent to the KR changes and added value.

It's not that I dismiss the minutiae of MV, I'm totally there with you. But if you're not convincing me, a nerd, the need to pay over 200 Euro for a KR style set, it's in trouble.

How many of us here have even gone for the Koch/Plaion at 180 Euro? Heck, there will even be people here who've not paid 40 US for the Mill Creek, but still really love the show.

I just don't see the scope for it, having kicked it around as an idea. The colour I think is a unicorn, it will never satisfy the myth that has built up around it, no matter what anyone does. Sound is lossless remix or original stereo... we're not going to get Atmos. And the cuts, clearly aren't ruinous or urgent or they would have been addressed before now, even just as a deleted or alternate scenes package.

In an ideal world there would have been a list and Universal could have done a compilation extra of alternate titles, break bumpers, trailers and scene trims. But that's an extra for fans, not a thing affecting the fundamental presentation of every episode to the extent people would pay over 200 Euro imho :hippie:

1 hour ago, bodie said:

Ok, thanks. Thing is, there was an opportunity with Koch/Plaion to address niggles and some were done. But there was not and from what you're saying, is not, a concrete list of serious issues that a company could tackle that would be equivalent to the KR changes and added value.

It's not that I dismiss the minutiae of MV, I'm totally there with you. But if you're not convincing me, a nerd, the need to pay over 200 Euro for a KR style set, it's in trouble.

How many of us here have even gone for the Koch/Plaion at 180 Euro? Heck, there will even be people here who've not paid 40 US for the Mill Creek, but still really love the show.

I just don't see the scope for it, having kicked it around as an idea. The colour I think is a unicorn, it will never satisfy the myth that has built up around it, no matter what anyone does. Sound is lossless remix or original stereo... we're not going to get Atmos. And the cuts, clearly aren't ruinous or urgent or they would have been addressed before now, even just as a deleted or alternate scenes package.

In an ideal world there would have been a list and Universal could have done a compilation extra of alternate titles, break bumpers, trailers and scene trims. But that's an extra for fans, not a thing affecting the fundamental presentation of every episode to the extent people would pay over 200 Euro imho :hippie:

Being a “nerd” myself, I’m a stickler for wanting things to be as “perfect” as they can...especially as a collector as well.

From everything I have, have seen, and have read, there is not a “perfect” set of MV out there...including Koch/Plaion. The colors they created were not “bad”, they just went too far with them...to where it’s more neon & vibrant than pastel. Plus they are still the same syndicated/cut episodes like everyone else. So, in my opinion it’s way over-priced & isn’t worth it.

The audio issues I’ve read & heard about were more with the Fabulous and/or Elephant sets. Even though it’s sometimes known as more of a budget company, Mill Creek actually did do an awesome job with MV (and a few other older TV shows). For what is available & out there for MV, in my opinion it’s as close to a restoration job of how the show was & was meant to be as you can get.

But, from the comparisons I saw of the Mill Creek KR set to Turbine...there was definite improvement & it’s outstanding! I’m sorry, but like it or not the same could & should be done with MV. ;) Turbine could definitely improve the colors, picture quality, and sound compared to all the past sets (as it did with KR).

If and pretending Turbine got a hold of original uncut airings of MV (as it did with KR), and not use the same syndicated cut episodes as everyone else, and did the same outstanding job it did with KR, it would definitely be worth the price...especially for a collector & diehard fan! There would definitely be fans wanting & getting it. 

But, it’s not like anyone would be expected to or forced into getting it :p (if it was actually done). If someone didn’t want to have to pay for it, or for whatever reasons chose not to get it...it’s cool! To me, why any serious fan of MV wouldn’t at least want uncut, original airings in the quality of Turbine, is beyond me? ?( But, anyone could get or not get whatever they chose...to each his or her own. :funky:

I know there would be a fanbase for it, and it would be way better than anything else out there so far—but I’m not thinking it’ll actually happen. This whole idea of Turbine doing an MV set like KR, was just a “wish”...a dream of something for fun, that will probably not happen. It was supposed to be a fun and/or good thing to discuss, wish for, or think about...not upset anyone. :dance2: :hippie: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Being a “nerd” myself, I’m a stickler for wanting things to be as “perfect” as they can...especially as a collector as well.

From everything I have, have seen, and have read, there is not a “perfect” set of MV out there...including Koch/Plaion. The colors they created were not “bad”, they just went too far with them...to where it’s more neon & vibrant than pastel. Plus they are still the same syndicated/cut episodes like everyone else. So, in my opinion it’s way over-priced & isn’t worth it.

The audio issues I’ve read & heard about were more with the Fabulous and/or Elephant sets. Even though it’s sometimes known as more of a budget company, Mill Creek actually did do an awesome job with MV (and a few other older TV shows). For what is available & out there for MV, in my opinion it’s as close to a restoration job of how the show was & was meant to be as you can get.

But, from the comparisons I saw of the Mill Creek KR set to Turbine...there was definite improvement & it’s outstanding! I’m sorry, but like it or not the same could & should be done with MV. ;) Turbine could definitely improve the colors, picture quality, and sound compared to all the past sets (as it did with KR).

If and pretending Turbine got a hold of original uncut airings of MV (as it did with KR), and not use the same syndicated cut episodes as everyone else, and did the same outstanding job it did with KR, it would definitely be worth the price...especially for a collector & diehard fan! There would definitely be fans wanting & getting it. 

But, it’s not like anyone would be expected to or forced into getting it :p (if it was actually done). If someone didn’t want to have to pay for it, or for whatever reasons chose not to get it...it’s cool! To me, why any serious fan of MV wouldn’t at least want uncut, original airings in the quality of Turbine, is beyond me? ?( But, anyone could get or not get whatever they chose...to each his or her own. :funky:

I know there would be a fanbase for it, and it would be way better than anything else out there so far—but I’m not thinking it’ll actually happen. This whole idea of Turbine doing an MV set like KR, was just a “wish”...a dream of something for fun, that will probably not happen. It was supposed to be a fun and/or good thing to discuss, wish for, or think about...not upset anyone. :dance2: :hippie: 

I would strongly recommend you look at the Koch/Plaion set, which is currently in print again, it's not neon, we have screen grabs earlier in the thread. Elephant had no audio issues and is actually the highest spec audio of any of them, but the Plaion is only just below and has better picture encoding.

Those are the two most expensive and guess what, the two best. The differences are small, but you've been talking about such details, they clearly matter to you. I'd not go by what people have incorrectly said about these products and land yourself the best whilst it's back in print. If you regret it, it will make you your money back on eBay once it sells out. If we ever see a better one, that will be a nice problem to have :cheers:

19 minutes ago, bodie said:

I would strongly recommend you look at the Koch/Plaion set, which is currently in print again, it's not neon, we have screen grabs earlier in the thread. Elephant had no audio issues and is actually the highest spec audio of any of them, but the Plaion is only just below and has better picture encoding.

Those are the two most expensive and guess what, the two best. The differences are small, but you've been talking about such details, they clearly matter to you. I'd not go by what people have incorrectly said about these products and land yourself the best whilst it's back in print. If you regret it, it will make you your money back on eBay once it sells out. If we ever see a better one, that will be a nice problem to have :cheers:

I have seen screen clips and pics of the Koch/Plaion set...and I’ve talked to others who do have it. I’m not making it up. But, those intensified colors may be what you like. 

The Fabulous & Elephant sets I have not seen or heard...I’m only going by what I’ve read from others in the past.

I’ve seen and know what Turbine can do with their products...so regardless of the other sets, I know “if” they would do an MV set, it would be the best out of anything so far.

But, I get it...you don’t want that to happen. It’s not a problem, because as I’ve stated it’s not something in the works (that I know of), and I don’t foresee it happening. Again, it was just a wish or cool “idea”...not something to cause upset or problems. 

So, we’ve both stated our opinions on the idea of a uncut/unedited Blu-ray set of the quality of a company like Turbine multiple times...and we’re starting to beat the proverbial dead horse. :p Let’s move on. :funky: