Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Your posting tone has nothing to do with respect as I know what I read.

No, sorry, you don't get out of it by being rude. You've yet to produce proof. So, as I say, respectfully, I don't accept it as fact.

There’s a good chance the fire destroyed it all...but, if duplicates of originals do exist somewhere else, one main reason they don’t want to make any new masters or copies from that is money. It would probably cost a lot, and they already have the syndicated rerun versions...and it was cheaper to use those for home video releases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb bodie:

No, sorry, you don't get out of it by being rude. You've yet to produce proof. So, as I say, respectfully, I don't accept it as fact.

I was not rude, you were, by insinuating I am just making it up. And the article you just posted is as good or reliable as mine. So get some manners!

Just now, Tom said:

I was not rude, you were, by insinuating I am just making it up. And the article you just posted is as good or reliable as mine. So get some manners!

Sorry, no. And this isn't the first time and it's not only me you're like this with. If you can't read tone in plain text or follow a civil, logical argument, maybe online conversation is not for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

There’s a good chance the fire destroyed it all...but, if duplicates of originals do exist somewhere else, one main reason they don’t want to make any new masters or copies from that is money. It would probably cost a lot, and they already have the syndicated rerun versions...and it was cheaper to use those for home video releases. 

Of course, but you're speculating... which is fine, you know you are and say so; "chance". And we all hope it ain't so :)

• Like 1

Just now, bodie said:

Of course, but you're speculating... which is fine, you know you are and say so; "chance". And we all hope it ain't so :)

Very much so speculating...and I hope there are duplicates somewhere! :dance2: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Very much so speculating...and I hope there are duplicates somewhere! :dance2: 

Yes and the word "footage" in the quote I linked could mean anything from MV and it feels like it's still talking videos... wishful thinking on my part and only from an online article. But I don't think I can be blamed for not wanting MV to have gone up in smoke ;(

• Like 1

Just now, bodie said:

Yes and the word "footage" in the quote I linked could mean anything from MV and it feels like it's still talking videos... wishful thinking on my part and only from an online article. But I don't think I can be blamed for not wanting MV to have gone up in smoke ;(

Definitely not blamed as I would hope all fans would want there to still be original masters/duplicates somewhere! :D

If there is...the main issue Universal would have for not doing anything with them is sadly money. Locating them, getting them out of the vaults, going through a big restoration process, probably renewing the music rights again, etc...it would be very expensive! 

Of course we all know it’s worth it, but sadly since the edited syndicated versions have already been used & are currently available for use, I doubt the studio would go for it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Definitely not blamed as I would hope all fans would want there to still be original masters/duplicates somewhere! :D

If there is...the main issue Universal would have for not doing anything with them is sadly money. Locating them, getting them out of the vaults, going through a big restoration process, probably renewing the music rights again, etc...it would be very expensive! 

Of course we all know it’s worth it, but sadly since the edited syndicated versions have already been used & are currently available for use, I doubt the studio would go for it. 

Absolutely, but as the saying goes; while there's life there's hope.

Just because they haven't done it, doesn't mean they never will. Who knows, in years to come, 4K and higher may be the norm as HD is now - once was a big novelty.

In order to keep getting revenue from these properties they may feel they simply have to be upgraded beyond the masters we currently have, to still be usable for repeats and digital/physical retail.

• Like 2

vor 18 Minuten schrieb bodie:

Sorry, no. And this isn't the first time and it's not only me you're like this with. If you can't read tone in plain text or follow a civil, logical argument, maybe online conversation is not for you.

That’s a self conversation by you in your own reality. You could have simply asked for a source but you wrote what you wrote and that was rude. Now you cannot rewrite reality just to get out of this. So if someone is lacking civility and logic in this conversation it’s only you.

1 minute ago, bodie said:

Absolutely, but as the saying goes; while there's life there's hope.

Just because they haven't done it, doesn't mean they never will. Who knows, in years to come, 4K and higher may be the norm as HD is now - once was a big novelty.

In order to keep getting revenue from these properties they may feel they simply have to be upgraded beyond the masters we currently have, to still be usable for repeats and digital/physical retail.

Yeah, but our “technology” is starting to be too fast too soon, if that makes sense. ;)They’re not going to spend the money to put out new sets every time we come up with a new format. 

All these new formats are cool, but soon the studios are probably going to be like...what’s out is out. We’ll see what happens and we can hope! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tom said:

That’s a self conversation by you in your own reality. You could have simply asked for a source but you wrote what you wrote and that was rude. Now you cannot rewrite reality just to get out of this. So if someone is lacking civility and logic in this conversation it’s only you.

I did ask for a source. You're an attention seeker. We're now talking about you, again. That's what you're after. It's called trolling.

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, but our “technology” is starting to be too fast too soon, if that makes sense. ;)They’re not going to spend the money to put out new sets every time we come up with a new format. 

All these new formats are cool, but soon the studios are probably going to be like...what’s out is out. We’ll see what happens and we can hope! :thumbsup:

They never tire of making money. So never say die. So long as there is any interest, these owners will find a way to make their properties appear on that market. Once there were no tapes, no discs, no streaming and yet MV has made it to every one as they've come along. If the show never comes out on UHD 4K Blu-ray, and the film exists, that will be due to the market for TV on disc generally, not the lack of commercial attraction of this programme... it's a modern classic :cheers:

• Like 2

vor 4 Minuten schrieb bodie:

I did ask for a source. You're an attention seeker. We're now talking about you, again. That's what you're after. It's called trolling.

Talking about yourself again and no, you did not ask for a source in normal terms. But I have no time now for your negative attitude anymore. That’s a fan forum and not a shrink practice.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Talking about yourself again and no, you did not ask for a source in normal terms. But I have no time now for your negative attitude anymore. That’s a fan forum and not a shrink practice.

It's not up to you to decide if it was "normal terms". And I am the one saying the show still exists until we know for sure otherwise, that's not negative.

• Like 1

vor 7 Minuten schrieb bodie:

It's not up to you to decide if it was "normal terms". And I am the one saying the show still exists until we know for sure otherwise, that's not negative.

And I am just saying given the other unique originals confirmed as lost (Universal Music archives) there, the nature of the material described in the fire and what we discussed (35mm original film for a 4k master) and the fact that since 2008 no new master has been done by Universal (that I have from Koch Media as they tried) it’s likely that there will be none. That’s realistic although I don’t like it either.

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

And I am just saying given the other unique originals confirmed as lost (Universal Music archives) there, the nature of the material described in the fire and what we discussed (35mm original film for a 4k master) and the fact that since 2008 no new master has been done by Universal (that I have from Koch Media as they tried) it’s likely that there will be none. That’s realistic although I don’t like it either.

"likely" now go back and see where you went wrong arguing your suspicions as fact.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb bodie:

"likely" now go back and see where you went wrong arguing your suspicions as fact.

now you go back („you are an attention seeker“) and check the mirror…

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Tom said:

Can we please take this down a notch?!   Now we're actually arguing about the possible existence of films lost in a fire?   Fact is, they either burned up or they didn't. We may never know.  (and I don't care about any links proving this one way or another)   There are reasonable opinions by everyone involved but no reason to get nasty about it.  

This isn't the 1st time there have been arguments in this topic.  Try respecting each others opinions or this topic is done!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bodie said:

They never tire of making money. So never say die. So long as there is any interest, these owners will find a way to make their properties appear on that market. Once there were no tapes, no discs, no streaming and yet MV has made it to every one as they've come along. If the show never comes out on UHD 4K Blu-ray, and the film exists, that will be due to the market for TV on disc generally, not the lack of commercial attraction of this programme... it's a modern classic :cheers:

This is true...if Universal could make more money off new sets with new formats, I’m sure they’d go for it! But, as for supposedly the only episode versions available, about every format has been done. 

At least 3 different companies/countries have put out a digitally remastered Blu-Ray set of some kind. All seem to have had some problems or issues...from sound problems, defective discs that had to require replacements, to even the newest one—where issues have been noticed or raised with the harsh/bright neon colors & lighting that also causes strange/bizarre skin tone or color in scenes.

I’m sure there are those that loved each of the sets as they got them, and that is awesome for them! :thumbsup: But I’m “picky” and a “stickler” when it comes to MV! I don’t want to pay expensive or high prices for something that is going to have possible playback or sound problems, or something that (as newly digitally remastered as it might be) has altered the colors to where it’s not MV anymore...plus, they’re all the same edited syndicated versions anyway. But, that’s just me. :D 

Most of this is wishful thinking, opinions, and hopes (that may not be possible);)...but worst case scenario, let’s say whatever fire destroyed original versions & all that’s out there is the U.S. edited syndicated ones.

To me the ultimate MV-gold would be the entire series, original uncut/unedited NBC airings, released digitally remastered/HD/whatever format is the newest one at the time (but try and keep the colors and pastels as they were originally—not making them brighter or as neon as we can)...complete with the original commercial bumpers for nostalgia and as a cool bonus! However, that probably isn’t ever going to happen. 

But, rare as they are, there are some sets/episodes of original NBC airings out there. If someone ever got Universal copies of those...would it be possible to remaster those into a set some way? I’m not a “techie” at all, lol, so I’m probably asking a dumb question to some...but just an idea/brain-fart to throw out there. :p 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Can we please take this down a notch?!   Now we're actually arguing about the possible existence of films lost in a fire?   Fact is, they either burned up or they didn't. We may never know.  (and I don't care about any links proving this one way or another)   There are reasonable opinions by everyone involved but no reason to get nasty about it.  

This isn't the 1st time there have been arguments in this topic.  Try respecting each others opinions or this topic is done!

My apologies, it takes two to tango and I know better than to take the bait. It's not the first time with this user, but it is the last, I shan't be drawn into it again. Sorry for the derail :flowers:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

This is true...if Universal could make more money off new sets with new formats, I’m sure they’d go for it! But, as for supposedly the only episode versions available, about every format has been done. 

At least 3 different companies/countries have put out a digitally remastered Blu-Ray set of some kind. All seem to have had some problems or issues...from sound problems, defective discs that had to require replacements, to even the newest one—where issues have been noticed or raised with the harsh/bright neon colors & lighting that also causes strange/bizarre skin tone or color in scenes.

I’m sure there are those that loved each of the sets as they got them, and that is awesome for them! :thumbsup: But I’m “picky” and a “stickler” when it comes to MV! I don’t want to pay expensive or high prices for something that is going to have possible playback or sound problems, or something that (as newly digitally remastered as it might be) has altered the colors to where it’s not MV anymore...plus, they’re all the same edited syndicated versions anyway. But, that’s just me. :D 

Most of this is wishful thinking, opinions, and hopes (that may not be possible);)...but worst case scenario, let’s say whatever fire destroyed original versions & all that’s out there is the U.S. edited syndicated ones.

To me the ultimate MV-gold would be the entire series, original uncut/unedited NBC airings, released digitally remastered/HD/whatever format is the newest one at the time (but try and keep the colors and pastels as they were originally—not making them brighter or as neon as we can)...complete with the original commercial bumpers for nostalgia and as a cool bonus! However, that probably isn’t ever going to happen. 

But, rare as they are, there are some sets/episodes of original NBC airings out there. If someone ever got Universal copies of those...would it be possible to remaster those into a set some way? I’m not a “techie” at all, lol, so I’m probably asking a dumb question to some...but just an idea/brain-fart to throw out there. :p 

Yeah the broadcast tapes would be completely unsuitable now - they were standard definition NTSC and boosted on broadcast to ensure that dark areas remained visible on the CRT screens of the day.

What they would represent is an invaluable reference for what you are suggesting; an archival standard, curated release of the series as a vintage property.

So far, everything that has come out has been interested in the show as still being a current, 'hot', 'hip' show people enjoy like they do current ones.

There's only been fleeting extras that barely touch the extent of the history and interest fans have in the show.

The problem is that the streaming culture now is really moving away from that notion of the curated release, with extras, documentaries, commentaries etc.

Physical media is holding on, but it's becoming like vinyl is for music; a thing some really love and care about, but that most don't use as their primary way to access music.

What is useful about current interest, is that things like High Definition have introduced video and sound quality that completely surpasses even what the television channel masters were in the 1980's, let alone any domestic copies thereof.

So an untapped and potentially exciting aspect of this for MV would be High Dynamic Range, which UHD 4K Blu-ray uses. What we have with the HD masters on Blu-ray is far greater detail and highs and lows than NTSC broadcast. But there is further to go, from original film elements, with HDR; to get even higher highs and deeper lows - to just make it even more luscious than anyone has ever seen those original films be.

If it were me, I would do that and also spend money on all the archive attention that was possible within budget. The problem is, people can buy the series in HD right now for $40.

In territories where they want a local language on there (France, Germany) they can charge a much higher price, but that is to cover the work with that audio, not because they have paid for extensive extras or dug out archive treats like trailers or contemporary interviews. Let alone remastered from scratch.

I think the glass is way more than half full though. We haven't got a holy grail fan release, you are quite right. But there are many shows that have not been presented in HD at all which would kill to be in the position MV is in now, with all original music in place. Just look at Nash Bridges and we can think ourselves very lucky indeed as fans of this show to have what we have :thumbsup:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bodie said:

Yeah the broadcast tapes would be completely unsuitable now - they were standard definition NTSC and boosted on broadcast to ensure that dark areas remained visible on the CRT screens of the day.

What they would represent is an invaluable reference for what you are suggesting; an archival standard, curated release of the series as a vintage property.

So far, everything that has come out has been interested in the show as still being a current, 'hot', 'hip' show people enjoy like they do current ones.

There's only been fleeting extras that barely touch the extent of the history and interest fans have in the show.

The problem is that the streaming culture now is really moving away from that notion of the curated release, with extras, documentaries, commentaries etc.

Physical media is holding on, but it's becoming like vinyl is for music; a thing some really love and care about, but that most don't use as their primary way to access music.

What is useful about current interest, is that things like High Definition have introduced video and sound quality that completely surpasses even what the television channel masters were in the 1980's, let alone any domestic copies thereof.

So an untapped and potentially exciting aspect of this for MV would be High Dynamic Range, which UHD 4K Blu-ray uses. What we have with the HD masters on Blu-ray is far greater detail and highs and lows than NTSC broadcast. But there is further to go, from original film elements, with HDR; to get even higher highs and deeper lows - to just make it even more luscious than anyone has ever seen those original films be.

If it were me, I would do that and also spend money on all the archive attention that was possible within budget. The problem is, people can buy the series in HD right now for $40.

In territories where they want a local language on there (France, Germany) they can charge a much higher price, but that is to cover the work with that audio, not because they have paid for extensive extras or dug out archive treats like trailers or contemporary interviews. Let alone remastered from scratch.

I think the glass is way more than half full though. We haven't got a holy grail fan release, you are quite right. But there are many shows that have not been presented in HD at all which would kill to be in the position MV is in now, with all original music in place. Just look at Nash Bridges and we can think ourselves very lucky indeed as fans of this show to have what we have :thumbsup:

I figured...but thought I’d ask. MV has had several different releases and probably better ones than some other shows. Streaming to me is not that amazing as it’s made to look...some quality isn’t that great, some streaming services “filter” out shows after a certain amount of time, networks are starting to have their shows only on their streaming service...and you have to pay a monthly fee for them. So pretty soon you’re going to be paying all these monthly fees for all these different streaming services so you can watch different shows you like—whether current ones or older. That adds up. Plus...what if your internet goes out? 

At this point I’m satisfied with what I have. I have the DVD sets that I got as each was released. But, I am lucky and am grateful/blessed to (by chance) have gotten a hold of a set of original uncut/unedited NBC airings, about 10-12 years ago. They’re not digitally remastered, true, but the quality is amazing! In my opinion that’s MV-gold, and “real” MV that I wish all fans could have/enjoy. I would never trade them for any Blu-Ray set (unless somehow they were the versions)! But, we should probably be grateful for what we do have regarding the show. :funky: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I figured...but thought I’d ask. MV has had several different releases and probably better ones than some other shows. Streaming to me is not that amazing as it’s made to look...some quality isn’t that great, some streaming services “filter” out shows after a certain amount of time, networks are starting to have their shows only on their streaming service...and you have to pay a monthly fee for them. So pretty soon you’re going to be paying all these monthly fees for all these different streaming services so you can watch different shows you like—whether current ones or older. That adds up. Plus...what if your internet goes out? 

At this point I’m satisfied with what I have. I have the DVD sets that I got as each was released. But, I am lucky and am grateful/blessed to (by chance) have gotten a hold of a set of original uncut/unedited NBC airings, about 10-12 years ago. They’re not digitally remastered, true, but the quality is amazing! In my opinion that’s MV-gold, and “real” MV that I wish all fans could have/enjoy. I would never trade them for any Blu-Ray set (unless somehow they were the versions)! But, we should probably be grateful for what we do have regarding the show. :funky: 

Totally with you on streaming; everything these days wants a subscription. And all the other factors you mention.

If you have a good HD screen, then feed it good HD Miami Vice with the Mill Creek Blu-ray set. It looks and sounds better than off-air and DVD.

But that doesn't mean you have to get rid of or never watch any other version. Part of being a fan is the more the merrier, but if you have the screen for 1080 HD or higher, you owe it to your interest in MV to spend $50* imho :cheers:

*or wait for amazon to get it in again for a couple of bucks nearer $40

• Like 1