Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

14 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

For me it would just be so convenient to have a dedicated “box” with the Koch Blu Rays data loaded into organized folders. I’d have to buy the set and the device though—very expensive. :) 

I really meant for all this the be via PM everyone. My apologies for hijacking the thread. 

I don't think it's hijacking, might be useful to others.

Your perfect solution exists but it's expensive. Buy a fast 2 Tb SSD external hard drive (probably $200), so it can fit the whole show in lossless rips from your discs. It's gonna be your designated MV drive always plugged into your smart Android TV (prob $1000). On the TV, download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.courville.nova

You can use your regular tv remote to browse folders and pick episodes etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paul Veres said:

I don't think it's hijacking, might be useful to others.

Your perfect solution exists but it's expensive. Buy a fast 2 Tb SSD external hard drive (probably $200), so it can fit the whole show in lossless rips from your discs. It's gonna be your designated MV drive always plugged into your smart Android TV (prob $1000). On the TV, download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.courville.nova

You can use your regular tv remote to browse folders and pick episodes etc.

I have a great smart tv. I will look into the drive. Thank you! 

• Like 1

Some time around the start of COVID one of our Free-to-air channels ran the entire series of Miami Vice. Even though I own the DVDs and Blu rays, I still recorded every last episode again onto my panasonic dvr.

The quality was reliant on the broadcasting channel. In this case they ran it on one of their standard definition channels;(. It is frustrating because they have HD channels available airing crap infomercials at the time of night the show was broadcast.

20240510_165406.thumb.jpg.1c0936e466414ed9e7d8f4a4057aec5c.jpg

Anyway, I'm glad to have the series on DVR. I'm lazy so I tend to go to that medium first for my casual MV episode fix. Each episode has it's own thumbnail I can select and I've edited out the ad breaks.

• Like 3

It's possible to handle all the data of the blu-ray but it will take time since you basically have to rip the numbers of blu-ray you have, with some dedication it is possible but you'll encounter the issue that a blu-ray is either 25GB or 50GB so depending on how many you have you can clearly see that stockage is the issue. If you have 25BR 50GB each then it's maximum 1250GB.

Then there's the other issue that you need to have the hardware to read and decode the blu-ray structure efficiently

So unless you have a PC with all the lossless RIPS on it always plugged to a TV with a special tool to transform it into a TV like interface with remote control, you'll need to think about your whole installation and needs but you can be sure that what will take the most time is ripping all of the discs

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrQuiche said:

It's possible to handle all the data of the blu-ray but it will take time since you basically have to rip the numbers of blu-ray you have, with some dedication it is possible but you'll encounter the issue that a blu-ray is either 25GB or 50GB so depending on how many you have you can clearly see that stockage is the issue. If you have 25BR 50GB each then it's maximum 1250GB.

Then there's the other issue that you need to have the hardware to read and decode the blu-ray structure efficiently

So unless you have a PC with all the lossless RIPS on it always plugged to a TV with a special tool to transform it into a TV like interface with remote control, you'll need to think about your whole installation and needs but you can be sure that what will take the most time is ripping all of the discs

When I was a kid I longed for some kind of lossless media on which I could watch all episodes on demand. Technology caught up, and that day came. Maybe it will happen again. :) 

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

When I was a kid I longed for some kind of lossless media on which I could watch all episodes on demand. Technology caught up, and that day came. Maybe it will happen again. :) 

Don't thank me

• Thanks 1

As I was ripping all the 35 Koch discs over the weekend, I had a chance to take nice photos of all the boxes, here are they are!

Outside.thumb.jpg.d784fbb75c4f4fa8d3ec68c1e4a38626.jpg

Inside.thumb.jpg.a03c3a62a89c57e639a8348a9ba92c58.jpg

I can't say if there was an attempt to match the inside with the outside. While some match:

• Disc 1 has a gator on the outside, so presuming it's Elvis, St. Vitus Dance on the inside makes a lot of sense
  • Disc 2 has Testarossa (exterior) on the outside, and Daytona (more of an interior) on the inside
  • Disc 5 has palm tress on the outside, and C&T among palm tress on the inside

The others don't:

• Disc 3 has flamingos on the outside, which is hardly matched by a cityscape shootout on the inside
  • Disc 4 with the Scarab on the outside seems to be a missed opportunity to depict C&T inside the boat on the inside - instead the inside visual is a shot similar to that of Disc 3

Other than that slight incongruence the art is exceptional.

As a side note, ripping one regular episode took on average 10 minutes. With 3-4 episodes per disc, I just had to check my PC every half an hour or so to replace the disc.

• Like 4

On 5/8/2024 at 5:07 AM, ViceFanMan said:

In all the syndicated reruns over the years, the USA network ones were probably still the most complete. But, for the syndicated versions Universal chose to use for the home video sets…I am not 100% positive, but I’m fairly certain they used the newest reruns at the time.

Those would have already been digitally remastered to an extent (Universal probably did a little more), easily readily available, and therefore cheaper than digging into the vaults & getting out original NBC airings to restore. Plus, Universal was probably already paying a butt-load to keep all the original music. These are the TV Land reruns (aired around 2004-2006).

I taped the TV Land reruns (still have them) before the show started to be released to DVD, and the versions seem to match.

On 5/8/2024 at 5:07 AM, ViceFanMan said:

In all the syndicated reruns over the years, the USA network ones were probably still the most complete. But, for the syndicated versions Universal chose to use for the home video sets…I am not 100% positive, but I’m fairly certain they used the newest reruns at the time.

Those would have already been digitally remastered to an extent (Universal probably did a little more), easily readily available, and therefore cheaper than digging into the vaults & getting out original NBC airings to restore. Plus, Universal was probably already paying a butt-load to keep all the original music. These are the TV Land reruns (aired around 2004-2006).

I taped the TV Land reruns (still have them) before the show started to be released to DVD, and the versions seem to match.

Good points all and @ViceFanMan

Good to read all viewpoints here.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1