Episode 1 Brother's Keeper

miamijimf

@ZAQ 178 I’ve stayed at two different Art Deco hotels on South Beach. They were really cool, but the accommodations and service were horrible at both. How was it at The Carlyle?

15 hours ago, Dadrian said:

@ZAQ 178 I’ve stayed at two different Art Deco hotels on South Beach. They were really cool, but the accommodations and service were horrible at both. How was it at The Carlyle?

Which two Dadrian?- I remember one further up on Collins.

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Which two Dadrian?- I remember one further up on Collins.

Essex House in 2003 and Wave in 2006, the latter being so bad we weren’t even upset—it became a comedy from which we still have a laugh from time to time. 

48 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Essex House in 2003 and Wave in 2006, the latter being so bad we weren’t even upset—it became a comedy from which we still have a laugh from time to time. 

Didn’t you stay at The Castle Apartments up on Collins/ at 5445 a few years ago ? And that was good?. I remember some of your pictures from that trip.

Edited by Matt5

55 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Didn’t you stay at The Castle Apartments up on Collins/ at 5445 a few years ago ? And that was good?. I remember some of your pictures from that trip.

I stayed at that address, but I don’t remember that name. Regardless, it was way better than the first two places, but I wouldn’t stay there again. I think we will look for a resort on Key Biscayne next time. 

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I stayed at that address, but I don’t remember that name. Regardless, it was way better than the first two places, but I wouldn’t stay there again. I think we will look for a resort on Key Biscayne next time. 

Great location. Maybe “Great McCarthy” hotel?!:dance2:

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, Dadrian said:

That’s the name that came up at 5445 Collins - I thought back in 2016 you said Castle Apartments but I might be wrong?

56 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

That’s the name that came up at 5445 Collins - I thought back in 2016 you said Castle Apartments but I might be wrong?

Who knows? :) 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I Watched the Pilot last night - and wanted to post these from the bridge underpass explosion scene I took in 2014, 30 years after Miami Vice filmed here.

We also see these buildings on NW1st Avenue in Season 4s "Child's Play" during Crockett and Tubbs drive.

Miami, Florida  2014 ( 1 ) 539.JPG

Miami, Florida  2014 ( 1 ) 540.JPG

Miami, Florida  2014 ( 1 ) 538.JPG

Miami, Florida  2014 ( 1 ) 541.JPG

Edited by Matt5

• 4 weeks later...

These locations from the Pilot’s opening credits ( and seen later in the episode) haven’t been found - two shots both with the same buildings. (from the blu-ray release).

97C59A53-362C-48D3-BE55-1C8A1577BD16.jpeg

2AC0A99C-5FD4-42AA-AB7E-25EF486EE4F4.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Leon Courthouse steps, as seen in 2017, exact scenes. These are the North Steps also seen in “Contempt of Court”, South steps were seen in “Lombard”, “No Exit” (“Three Eyed Turtle”) and “Hit List”.

The second photo is NW1st St from NW Miami court we see as Leon steps out.

9DB81075-1B00-4C20-9A40-7F98E69CEFF7.jpeg

FCB6921C-74B0-40EA-A390-DF253C8ECA55.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:40 PM, Matt5 said:

These locations from the Pilot’s opening credits ( and seen later in the episode) haven’t been found - two shots both with the same buildings. (from the blu-ray release).

97C59A53-362C-48D3-BE55-1C8A1577BD16.jpeg

2AC0A99C-5FD4-42AA-AB7E-25EF486EE4F4.jpeg

Looking at this it must be the MacArthur Cswy ? It’s not been confirmed as location - the key is the background distinctive buildings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Looking at this it must be the MacArthur Cswy ? It’s not been confirmed as location - the key is the background distinctive buildings.

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page73.html   "Sunset pictures most likely from the MacArthur Causeway."

Sunset would mean looking west.   I'm having trouble seeing how we could look west from MacArthur and see vegetation at the shore.

[edit] It could be the stretch of MacArthur near Terminal Isle/Coast Guard Station.  In the early 1980s, Lummus Island (which is now the eastern end of Dodge Island) was totally covered with vegetation.

Do we know this is sunset rather than sunrise?

Edited by airtommy

I've brightened up the buildings on the far left.

pilotmontage3.png.8cf6f59435ebf53c5b5174ad4486e755.png

Could be looking west from the Rickenbacker Causeway.

Edited by airtommy

12 hours ago, airtommy said:

I've brightened up the buildings on the far left.

pilotmontage3.png.8cf6f59435ebf53c5b5174ad4486e755.png

Could be looking west from the Rickenbacker Causeway.

It could be Mercy hospital in Coconut Grove or if you look to Key Biscayne these buildings below? They look similar ?

8D13FD5C-9504-4825-88AF-0490A89433E8.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

It could be Mercy hospital in Coconut Grove or if you look to Key Biscayne these buildings below? They look similar ?

Yes, that's a good match.  That would mean the building on the far right should be Villa Vizcaya and it looks like it is:

pilotmontage2.thumb.png.1d65ed09d4fefc9ff4a50fcee1f3969d.png

I'd like the hear what @C Glide thinks of our theory.

Edited by airtommy

7 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Yes, that's a good match.  That would mean the building on the far right should be Villa Vizcaya and it looks like it is:

pilotmontage2.thumb.png.1d65ed09d4fefc9ff4a50fcee1f3969d.png

Fantastic joint effort airtommy found - both of those shots from the Rickenbacker Cswy looking to Mercy Hospital ( which ironically never appeared in a Miami Vice episode).

And this must also be the Rickenbacker Cswy I would think looking towards the mainland (from the Pilot).

9D103D2A-1271-4AAF-8FDB-BCA5017280A9.jpeg

Edited by Matt5

@C Glide

OK, now I'm 110% sure those two clips were on the Rickenbacker Causeway looking west at the mainland.  There is no doubt that we see Vizcaya on the far right.  Nice teamwork @Matt5 and thanks for getting the old juices flowing!  :thumbsup:

• yellow = Tea House (gazebo where Castillo meets with Mirandez in "Whatever Works")
  • red = Villa Vizcaya Main House
  • green  = notice the same dip in the tree line

episode screen capture:

pilotmontage5.thumb.png.3fa1d27412def0ebb0d11491d89912ac.png

Google Street View:

pilotmontage4.thumb.png.284ee1a28d369aa1e7be63b58a4dd8f9.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice find guys.  :thumbsup:  With new finds I may never have a final/final version of my book.  Seriously, that's OK, keeps me off the streets.

Edited by miamijimf

vor 9 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

@C Glide

OK, now I'm 110% sure those two clips were on the Rickenbacker Causeway looking west at the mainland.  There is no doubt that we see Vizcaya on the far left.  Nice teamwork @Matt5 and thanks for getting the old juices flowing!  :thumbsup:

• yellow = Tea House (gazebo where Castillo meets with Mirandez in "Whatever Works")
  • red = Villa Vizcaya Main House
  • green  = notice the same dip in the tree line

episode screen capture:

pilotmontage5.thumb.png.3fa1d27412def0ebb0d11491d89912ac.png

Google Street View:

pilotmontage4.thumb.png.284ee1a28d369aa1e7be63b58a4dd8f9.png

You guys are incredible and should apply at Ft Meade Maryland! :clap:I am sure you’d also be able to suss out the clothes the cameraman wore on the day of filming.