Episode 1 Brother's Keeper

miamijimf

6 hours ago, Tom said:

You guys are incredible and should apply at Ft Meade Maryland! :clap:I am sure you’d also be able to suss out the clothes the cameraman wore on the day of filming. 

Agree.  Where do you think they work? 

On 1/12/2019 at 5:52 PM, Matt5 said:

And this must also be the Rickenbacker Cswy I would think looking towards the mainland (from the Pilot).

9D103D2A-1271-4AAF-8FDB-BCA5017280A9.jpeg

This will be the Rickenbacker Cswy too as it’s the same colored sunset seen in the two just identified Pilot opening montage locations. This will be, instead of looking west,  looking towards the mainland with the Rusty Pelican out of the picture to the east.

Edited by Matt5

25 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

This will be the Rickenbacker Cswy too as it’s the same colored sunset seen in the two just identified Pilot opening montage locations. This will be, instead of looking west,  looking towards the mainland with the Rusty Pelican out of the picture to the east.

I couldn't find this shot.  When in the episode is it seen?

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

I couldn't find this shot.  When in the episode is it seen?

From the few Miami shots just before the club scene (Sonny/ Tubbs/ Gina/Trudy/ Trinny) about an 55 minutes in I think.

7 hours ago, Matt5 said:

3DF5366D-34F3-4F68-88EA-04E820543A70.jpeg

2D12B0E1-B5F3-46EC-8AEE-75E1DE579D4A.jpeg

• Like 1

Is that Reb with his rifle through the trees on the right? :p:radar:

edit: I think that was closer to the mainland, beyond the causeway in this pic

Edited by Dadrian

11 hours ago, Matt5 said:

From the few Miami shots just before the club scene (Sonny/ Tubbs/ Gina/Trudy/ Trinny) about an 55 minutes in I think.

What episode?  Thanks.

21 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Thanks, I see it now.  It's around 57:17 on my DVD (episode "Brother's Keeper"). 

Your placement looks correct to me, not far from the Rusty Pelican.

The 2 opening montage clips have the same sailboat in the water, so they were filmed together.  The boat being towed by a car in this clip is also in the first opening montage clip, so those two shots were filmed together.  So we know all 3 clips were filmed together.

I've brightened this up but I still can't make out the sign.  I bet it was warning about the drawbridge which was in use back in 1984 when they filmed this.

pilotmontage7.png.dad60bb3222ebda6f93716cc019b25c4.png

Edited by airtommy

vor 8 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Thanks, I see it now.  It's around 57:17 on my DVD (episode "Brother's Keeper"). 

The 2 opening montage clips have the same sailboat in the water, so they were filmed together.  The boat being towed by a car in this clip is also in the first opening montage clip, so those two shots were filmed together.  So we know all 3 clips were filmed together.

I've brightened this up but I still can't make out the sign.  I bet it was warning about the drawbridge which was in use back in 1984 when they filmed this.

That pic is definitely from the Rickenbacker Causeway looking west towards mainland. It’s the last bend of the (old!) causeway road near Rusty Pelican. As this was filmed in 1984, we cannot see the highly elevated bridge part crossing the bay yet. The new bridge is much more elevated but was opened in early 1986 (we can see final construction of the new bridge in Definitely Miami during the Clemente exchange which was filmed in Dec 85). The old causeway bridge was much flatter and was torn off after that. As far as I remember the new bridge, built in parallel to the old one, came with a whole new road in this section accordingly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, airtommy said:

Yes airtommy pleased you agree, the first two clips I identified earlier were pretty much filmed in the same spot looking west of the causeway. This clip looking to the mainland. :cheers:

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

That pic is definitely from the Rickenbacker Causeway looking west towards mainland. It’s the last bend of the (old!) causeway road near Rusty Pelican. As this was filmed in 1984, we cannot see the highly elevated bridge part crossing the bay yet. The new bridge is much more elevated but was opened in early 1986 (we can see final construction of the new bridge in Definitely Miami during the Clemente exchange which was filmed in Dec 85). The old causeway bridge was much flatter and was torn off after that. As far as I remember the new bridge, built in parallel to the old one, came with a whole new road in this section accordingly.

So you agree with my picture with arrow of location Tom ?

21 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Is that Reb with his rifle through the trees on the right? :p:radar:

edit: I think that was closer to the mainland, beyond the causeway in this pic

Yes indeed aka as the birthday cake scene:cheers::)

• Haha 1

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

So you agree with my picture with arrow of location Tom ?

Yes of course. Location is right.

Road was shifted a bit in parallel around and due to the new elevated bridge.

14 hours ago, Tom said:

Yes of course. Location is right.

Road was shifted a bit in parallel around and due to the new elevated bridge.

Thanks Tom appreciate it :tasse_prost:

The next two locations from the Pilot episode which have not been confirmed are below:

(1) Miami River, looks like Conference Centre/ Hyatt.

(2) From later on during the same montage as the Rickenbacker Cswy (sunset shots) - this one is interesting looks like it’s from the water just off the Port of Miami looking east to the Dade Courthouse building and Freedom Tower (it looks to far to be on the Port of Miami we see in “Golden Triangle” Pt.2 and “Whatever Works”.

Any feedback will be good as in Miami and South Florida for 2 months.:cheers::funky:

77348792-D8FB-4567-8C8A-7ABE1878FA32.jpeg

6EA42294-041D-41F6-883C-B954A6348E20.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

The next two locations from the Pilot episode which have not been confirmed are below:

(2) From later on during the same montage as the Rickenbacker Cswy (sunset shots) - this one is interesting looks like it’s from the water just off the Port of Miami looking east to the Dade Courthouse building and Freedom Tower (it looks to far to be on the Port of Miami we see in “Golden Triangle” Pt.2 and “Whatever Works”.

Any feedback will be good as in Miami and South Florida for 2 months.:cheers::funky:

6EA42294-041D-41F6-883C-B954A6348E20.jpeg

(2) given the location of Freedom tower and the high rises to the left, I would assume this is a tele shot from Rickenbacker Causeway or nearby towards the Coconut Grove area (left) and the Biscayne Bvd Downtown section (right), i.e. looking from SE to N or NW. In my opinion Port of Miami is too close to Freedom Tower to result in this photo shot.

18 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Conference Center/Hyatt seems right, but I can't find any details to confirm it.  I can't figure out what those 3 horizontal dark lines on the face of the building are.

The second one is baffling. @C Glide  says it's from Watson Island.  That seems right but I can't get it matched up.

Am I right that pink is the Courthouse and blue is Freedom Tower?  That would mean the buildings on the left are downtown.  But the Qbert building (Southeast Financial Center) is missing and some other buildings as well.

vlcsnapb.png.15fe82770c2472d43a09499eede39211.png

I think yellow is the Hyatt, as we see in the famous skyline shot at the end of the opening montage of most episodes:

montagehyatt.png.537d577732edcfe089b4176f9dfb8d38.png

Now that I look at these pics, I'm convinced this was from the direction of Watson Island or thereabouts, but this shot was stock footage taken before the Qbert building was constructed.

Edited by airtommy

@Tom  Does anybody know when the production crew came to Miami and started filming footage for the show?  Was it earlier than the March 5, 1984 date for "Brother's Keeper" filming?

vor 13 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

@Tom  Does anybody know when the production crew came to Miami and started filming footage for the show?  Was it earlier than the March 5, 1984 date for "Brother's Keeper" filming?

Don’t know for sure for the pilot. Production is usually starting long before filming. But generally: such shots are done by the second unit director and his team and I have never heard that a 2nd unit was sent to film any panorama shots before main filming started. Usually it’s done while or mostly after filming with the cast. And: I doubt that this footage is Part of a third party Miami promotion either, given the fact that Miami was a “dead place“ in tourist terms before MV showed up.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 2:27 PM, airtommy said:

The second one is baffling. @C Glide  says it's from Watson Island.  That seems right but I can't get it matched up.

Am I right that pink is the Courthouse and blue is Freedom Tower?  That would mean the buildings on the left are downtown.  But the Qbert building (Southeast Financial Center) is missing and some other buildings as well.

vlcsnapb.png.15fe82770c2472d43a09499eede39211.png

I think yellow is the Hyatt, as we see in the famous skyline shot at the end of the opening montage of most episodes:

montagehyatt.png.537d577732edcfe089b4176f9dfb8d38.png

Now that I look at these pics, I'm convinced this was from the direction of Watson Island or thereabouts, but this shot was stock footage taken before the Qbert building was constructed.

Yes of course Watson Island looking to Downtown matches up what we see in the closing montage of every episode. That’s what threw me the absence of the Wachovia centre And Citi Centre so was pre 1983. 

This shot was never seen in the series again.

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes of course Watson Island looking to Downtown matches up what we see in the closing montage of every episode. That’s what threw me the absence of the Wachovia centre And Citi Centre so was pre 1983. 

This shot was never seen in the series again.

I have a question.  I always thought the famous closing shot of the opening montage was filmed from Watson Island.  I thought CGlide or DanJ had determined that many years ago.  I thought I remember them saying that the shot was taken before the taller bridge to the Port was constructed, which is why we don't see it.    But now I see on CGlide's site that it was filmed from Dodge Island/Port of Miami.   Am I wrong?  Was this always known?