Most expensive episode of Vice made?

JonnyDaytona

• Administrators

I would think that any of the two parters would be expensive.Of course destroying the Daytona couldn't have been cheap. :p

My guess would be The Prodigal Son, but I really have no idea.Now if they would have done the original plan for S3: Have the season premiere be a two-parter set in Ireland, THAT wouldn't have been cheap!

• Administrators

I'd guess "The Prodigal Son" too. Filming in New York City is not cheap!Not to mention travel expenses for the crew.

I would think that any of the two parters would be expensive.Of course destroying the Daytona couldn't have been cheap. :p

I heard that it was actually a chev impala that was blown up (camera trick) I don't think they would blow up the Daytona?I remember reading about it somewhere...I wonder if anyone else can verify my rumour? Please "Chime in"

Oh Shill.........have you no love for retro?Although the Testorosa was a beautiful car, the lines and black magic of the Daytona was par none the best! It was also a "CONVERTABLE" so it fit in better with Miami I think. The hardtop on the "Testa" made it harder to film and in reality it would have been a hot car inside!?!Think about it...would the scene in the opener with them driving to the docks and Phil Collins in the background "In the Air Tonight"...would it work as well using the Testarosa? I think not! Their hair blowing in the wind with the top down in the Dayton is captivating and it just wouldn't be the same in the other car.

Oh Shill.........have you no love for retro?Although the Testorosa was a beautiful car' date=' the lines and black magic of the Daytona was par none the best! It was also a "CONVERTABLE" so it fit in better with Miami I think. The hardtop on the "Testa" made it harder to film and in reality it would have been a hot car inside!?!Think about it...would the scene in the opener with them driving to the docks and Phil Collins in the background "In the Air Tonight"...would it work as well using the Testarosa? I think not! Their hair blowing in the wind with the top down in the Dayton is captivating and it just wouldn't be the same in the other car.[/quote']Agreed. The convertable just sums up the atmosphere so well. Top down, cruising, wind in your hair, it's the kind of thing that screams "Miami".Though I do love the testa, too. Kind of wish that would have been a convertable.

You know I wonder now if they ever did make a convertable in the Testarosa? I can't seem to find one on the internet.Anyone got a pic of a ragtop Testa?Bu the way Shill that is a great picture. Have you ever driven one though? I have, along with a 308 and both cars are very small inside. I am a rather large male and I can't fit into it very well. These cars were definitely designed for short Italian guys! My head hits the roof liner on both the Testerosa and the 308. The Daytona is a bit more roomy for me, especially for my long legs and shifting of the clutch. When I drove the other two cars (they weren't mine by the way, I just repaired them) I had to sit sideways in the seat at bit to properly shift the clutch. My size 12 workboots also hit the clutch and brake simultaniously :) Great if you want to do smokey burnouts!!!

My guess would be The Prodigal Son' date=' but I really have no idea.Now if they would have done the original plan for S3: Have the season premiere be a two-parter set in Ireland, THAT wouldn't have been cheap![/quote']Lar, they were going to make Irish eyes a two parter? How would they start in Ireland? Did they have any idea? I've never heard this and it's interesting. I thought the beginning with the song Imagine and the film of the voilence was good. But this is very interesting. I'd also have to say Prodical son for the same reasons F-man said. New York is so expensive and the travel. I wonder if they bought the whole crew up from Florida or hired a filming crew up here? That would be very expensive to ship all those people from the cast and crew and have them in hotels etc.

Guest MetroVice

Definitely a ConvertableHere in south Florida it's got to be a convertable. Anyone who's spent any length of time in the deep south knows a hard-top just doesn't get it down here! :cool:Randy

I think "Prodigal Son" was the most expensive episode too. I think it was just this one episode which was shoot in another city or country than Florida, or ?I don´t think, that "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" was the most expensive episode, because the Daytona was only a replica of a Ferrari Spider.

Lar' date=' they were going to make Irish eyes a two parter? How would they start in Ireland? Did they have any idea? I've never heard this and it's interesting. I thought the beginning with the song Imagine and the film of the voilence was good. But this is very interesting. [/quote']It's just a rumor I've heard (more than once), but since the previous two seasons opened with double-length eps, and MV was set to take on Dallas (a battle the show eventually lost), as well as it still being one of the hottest shows on TV, a double-length Ireland adventure isn't too farfetched. Unfortunately, I don't know how they would've worked the plot out, or if they even got that far along. I believe it was cancelled because it would've been (here's the kicker) too expensive!Of course that leaves open the whole question of the original order of eps; as we all know When Irish Eyes Are Crying was switched with El Viejo as the season opener, so when this decision was made, I couldn't say.

The show used what looks like a hull of a daytona for the scene where the car is destroyed in When Irish Eyes are Crying. Both of the Daytonas ended up in Kingsport Tennessee at Carl Robert's shop. One was sold privately, the other has since become unaccounted for. For more information go to :http://www.priceofaddiction.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=44

• Administrators

Here in south Florida it's got to be a convertible. Anyone who's spent any length of time in the deep south knows a hard-top just doesn't get it down here! :cool:Randy

I don't know. I'm in central Florida and the AC is always on. Too hot for a convertible. Especially in the August and September months.

too expensive!Of course that leaves open the whole question of the original order of eps; as we all know When Irish Eyes Are Crying was switched with El Viejo as the season opener, so when this decision was made, I couldn't say.

I still don't see how they would have done the first part in Ireland but they did do shows in the states saying it was Costa Morda.....so who knows.,..I also wonder why the switched like that with the show openers. I mean they didn't think anyone would realize the Daytona was back from the grave one last time and then it turned into a truck and then to a Testerossa?

I know the Pilot cost $5 million to produce and that was 24 years ago in 1984 - which was a huge amount. "Prodigal Son" must have been very expensive also with 2/3 of that episode shot in Nyc.

• 9 months later...

The PRODIGAL SON and the PILOT are both about two hours long.For the single, one hour episode, it COULD be "BACK IN THE WORLD", which DON JOHNSON had his directing debut, ...and went $500,000 over budget.

• Administrators

I would guess "Prodigal Son" because of the filming in New York.If you remember the movie "Back to School" Rodney Dangerfield had quite a lesson on doing business in the real world. :)"What's a widget?" :D

I think we're all forgetting the great Freefall which couldn't have been cheap either.Inflation from 1984-to-1989, coupled with escalating production costs at that time...I wouldn't be shocked if Freefall surpassed Prodigal Son in budget. I certaintly think both PS & FF are higher budgeted than the Pilot.

• Administrators

Another though I just had was a regular one hour ep. that had a high priced guest star. Don't know what that would be, but a known actor/actress may have stressed the budget if they wanted him/her for that ep.Just a thought.