Ep 16 "Rites of Passage"

Dadrian

So I took a look at it on Blu-ray* and came away with a few notes that may be obvious but sometimes it is good to put them out in writing to start a list of clues to share.

Not a highly built up area like South Beach or downtown because there are trees across the street. Not buildings. Though..

2) there appears to be the back corner of a store visible. Possibly a convenience store as there is a milk crate sitting on the ground by it.

3) Street sign is covered by leaf

4) Other sign (lower one) says ---  ---- only. Perhaps Miami Vice fans parking only, or err maybe something else that would be more helpful. This is where the * above comes in. I quickly watched this as I said I would tonight but did so in the bedroom and that tv is only 3d. I have new 4D+ in my den and will watch it again tomorrow night in there and maybe I can see more clearly then. 

5) Wooden utility pole not concrete which will help narrow down the location.

Will post more tomorrow.  Cheers

• Like 1

that tv is only 3d. I have new 4D+ in my den

Well now we know how CGlide is finding all these locations - his TV can travel through time!

• 1 year later...

The Palace Condominium @1541 on Brickell Avenue was used in this episode. I stayed here last year - here are some photos firstly of the lobby from the end of the episode. Also a bedroom in the condo similar to what we saw in the 1985 episode.

0A59DD8A-E0A4-46CC-A55A-171BDB7AC119.jpeg

A30836A1-41FA-4596-AF9E-E74B67BB2604.jpeg

6D0BA654-33A7-436F-813C-BE177C73CB65.jpeg

2DDDB37C-45D8-4AA3-B883-4156DDFAC541.jpeg

999060B4-33B7-4ED6-90BD-D17C5FA9B07F.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, airtommy said:

Same tapestry after all these years!

Actually yes ! The exit sign everything else is the same as early 1985.

Edited by Matt5

Some more from The Palace condo at 1541 Brickell of the forecourt which we see at the end of the episode. I took these photos when I stayed there in the Spring of 2017.

B4ACBA35-1526-4B4F-BD42-6677A372D7C2.jpeg

572A163E-A6A8-487E-A57C-20C58DD7B913.jpeg

D27372BC-4231-4E3A-95F5-574ABEB70572.jpeg

F145FF2D-B8B6-448B-8B2D-E9A08EF8DDC4.jpeg

888DE3D2-5F32-42D7-8D62-7BAEDF11CEF6.jpeg

Guys these Palace pics are really nice but .... we still have work to do!

as two major location are unidentified in this ep that has been bugging me for years: the party house where Switek and Zito make the bug sweep and the whole team gets Diane out by force and drive off in the van. The house resembles a bit the 1727 Sunset Island location by style but is different and has a circle shaped driveway. Any clues from anyone?

also the consulate is unidentified! We just know that it is most likely in the Coconut Grove/Miracle Mile area as we can see its reflection in a limo window in "rock and a hard place" when Caitlin's limo is surrounded by press.

So let's not get drowned in self appraisal of old found locations but tackle the few left....:)

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...

This consulate building is driving me nuts. I watched Rock and a Hard Place the other day where the consulate is seen in the reflection of the car window and briefly behind people surrounding Caitlin’s limo. The building seems to be at a corner of an intersection as there is a sharp edge in the reflection. And there seems to be a power line attached to the building at this corner. 

As this scene is so short and the background not shown prominently, I strongly believe this location is very close to the others, thus studied the whole area between the Hyatt Regency Hotel and the Miracle Mile but nothing. I even checked all consulates in the area as there are some and I had the feeling that the consulate sign might have been genuine.

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:33 AM, Tom said:

This consulate building is driving me nuts. I watched Rock and a Hard Place the other day where the consulate is seen in the reflection of the car window and briefly behind people surrounding Caitlin’s limo. The building seems to be at a corner of an intersection as there is a sharp edge in the reflection. And there seems to be a power line attached to the building at this corner. 

As this scene is so short and the background not shown prominently, I strongly believe this location is very close to the others, thus studied the whole area between the Hyatt Regency Hotel and the Miracle Mile but nothing. I even checked all consulates in the area as there are some and I had the feeling that the consulate sign might have been genuine.

vlcsnap-2020-02-20-21h17m23s647.png.d98882be3c8f852170dee768b49090ce.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crockettt said:

This building was built in 1987 so it's a possibility it was used in "Rock and a Hard Place".

Good research, but unfortauntely I can say for certain that "Rock and a Hard Place" was not that building.  I looked at it in person and I didn't see anything like the triangular shape you see in the clip above.

I wonder if the architect who designed this building designed a similar building somewhere else.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

NEW LOCATION FOUND - The Party house of Traynor and Lyle in RITES OF PASSAGE

This is for sure the earliest and longest overdue house mystery location in the whole series (season 1) and it´s finally solved!

I nearly gave up on it as I have been searching extensively over the last few weeks without any result and now I know why. I always thought this house must be on a small island at the bay, because the circled driveway (roundabout) when they left after abducting Diane drove me off, but the house is landlocked with lots of vegetation around and the L-shaped structure with the flat white roof gave it finally away. The circled driveway is there as well.

And again, it´s in Pinecrest (yes, I know, I can hear you @airtommy ....!)

6600 SW 98 Street, Pinecrest section of Miami

Luckily, there are beautiful pictures from real estate agents from this house for us to study and prove it´s the right location (https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/6600-SW-98th-St_Pinecrest_FL_33156_M58559-40957).

This one even has a Youtube video: 

Some nice pics you can see below. One shows the balcony at the party where C&T dragged Diane away. 

The house was built in 1982 and costs around 2,4 mill.

@C Glide I fear you are further falling behind in updating your location site...!

Enjoy!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 21.46.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 21.46.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 21.48.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 21.49.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 21.49.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 21.50.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 22.48.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-15 um 22.50.36.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

Amazing @Tom! Congrats!

I’ve always loved this house. Now I just gotta find $2.4M, and we can all get together and have a party there (sans hookers). :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Dadrian:

Amazing @Tom! Congrats!

I’ve always loved this house. Now I just gotta find $2.4M, and we can all get together and have a party there (sans hookers). :) 

Thanks! But a party without hookers, but with Larry and Stan bug-sweeping will be not my kind of entertainment :p

• Haha 3

Because I have a good energy flow tonight (and I love you guys so much and don´t want to keep you hangin´on:D), I also solved the eternal riddle with the unknown consulate location!

NEW LOCATION FOUND: The consulate (and the background in Rock and a hard place with the reporters bullying Crockett&Caitlin)

No wonder that we could not find the colored wall pattern, because it does not exist anymore. The facade belongs to an architecture company (Dennis Jenkins & Associates) and was changed several times. But, I have pictures from the original state as seen in VICE (with one exception: the doors have been changed as they had only half glass doors in the episode, thus my pictures have been taken after VICE filmed and the doors have changed to full glass doors)! The "Consulate" letters were fake.

In order not to torture you anymore (although these few seconds do not make a difference after 35 years of searching...):

Dennis Jenkins & Associates (website with some of the pictures and background information: https://www.altmanarchitects.com/dennis-jenkins-associates-south-miami-florida)

5813 SW 68th Street, Miami

In order to prove that it is the right location and not just another similar facade pattern, I encircled two areas on the location and on the screen caps from Rites of passage and Rock and a hard place. Please note specifically the order of colors on the last vertical row when Crockett&Tubbs enter the building and the diagonal structure in the reflection of the car window.

Below are 2 pictures of the original state like in the episode plus two how it looks today plus satellite pics. Enjoy! @C Glideyou need to catch up with my pace! :D 

Now we have all locations found in Rites of Passage! The only secret remains why the heck they filmed this short snippet from "Rock and a hard place" miles away from Miracle Mile where they filmed the rest of these scenes!?!

ENJOY!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 00.50.04.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 00.50.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 00.51.13.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 00.54.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 00.55.38.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 01.00.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 01.00.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-16 um 01.29.21.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

NEW LOCATION FOUND: The consulate (and the background in Rock and a hard place with the reporters bullying Crockett&Caitlin)

In order not to torture you anymore (although these few seconds do not make a difference after 35 years of searching...):

Now, hold on!  You still are torturing me because you haven't explained how you found this.  How did you do it?

I notice this same architecture firm designed the Love 94 studio building that we see in "Stone's War".

https://www.altmanarchitects.com/#/love94-radio-north-miami-florida/

• Like 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

Now, hold on!  You still are torturing me because you haven't explained how you found this.  How did you do it?

I notice this same architecture firm designed the Love 94 studio building that we see in "Stone's War".

https://www.altmanarchitects.com/#/love94-radio-north-miami-florida/

Yes, right, Altman architects also designed the "WLVE" studio as well as the "consulate which is in fact the headquarters of Jenkins & Associates.. 

And, like the US government with the JFK case, I will be happy to reveal my secret files about how I found that location ....in (another) 35 years :p

I can only say that much: the consulate was much faster to find than the party house. By factor of 100. Believe it or not. 

Edited by Tom

The "student parking only" sign makes sense, since this is around the corner from University of Miami student housing.

Gerade eben schrieb airtommy:

The "student parking only" sign makes sense, since this is around the corner from University of Miami student housing.

Yes. The street sign we saw in the reflection is not longer there. And it was next to the tree, at the ped walk of 68th street.