Rodriguez vs Castillo

Shill

Different styles and management' date=' but who was better? I always thought Lou ran a more chaotic OCB[/quote']I fully agree with you Shill. I like Castillo better. He ran a tighter OCB than Rodriguez did. Not that I have anything against Gregory Sierra, but some actors are better cut out for the part than others. Just my opinion though.

Lou was more like Crockett's friend. Crockett liked, and respected him, as did the team, however, Castillo brought what Lou lacked. Discipline.Martin IMMEDIATELY brought repect, and toughness. Like it's been said before, he was the glue that held them together.Martin thought through things clearly, when others emotions got the best of them.Martin had patience. He rarely flew off the handle.Lou would yell quite often. Martin just had to glare without raising his voice. You got the message.He wasn't afraid to discipline someone, or take them off a case if the person was not thinking straight, or needed a break.I think between Lou and Martin, Martin had more authority, even though they were both LT.s.Who added more weight if they said they would back you up?Martin had connections and experiences Lou never had.Martin knew more international info as well.Martin brought out the best in you, and you worked hard to gain his respect. It made you a better detective, cop, and person.LT. MARTIN CASTILLO was the finer of the two.

Hope it will make sense, but in my opinion Rodrigez made Vice have a kind of Hill Street Blues feel. Castillo is what made Vice just that. Vice.

I think Rodrigues was all right. And it was funny to watch like him and Crockett screaming at each other... "Shut up, Crockett, and I'll explain!" :D Just hillarious.But I prefer Castillo - not even because he is a "better boss" or something, this is all very relative... Just because he made a more unusual character and also presented a contrast to Crockett's wild temper, which was very interesting.

Hope it will make sense' date=' but in my opinion Rodrigez made Vice have a kind of Hill Street Blues feel. [/quote']That's very true Rodriguez did have a very "Hill Street Blues" feel - did Gregory Sierra quit or was he simply brought in for those first 4 episodes?I liked Lou Rodriguez, and as our Glossary here states he had a 1970s feel about him.!

That's very true Rodriguez did have a very "Hill Street Blues" feel - did Gregory Sierra quit or was he simply brought in for those first 4 episodes?

I've read somewhere that he had quit, but I don't remember why, perhaps because of some personal reasons.

After MV - Gregory Sierra made a career out of guest-starting in other tv shows as a Police Lieutenant in huge 80s show "Cagney and Lacey" as well as other shows as "Murder She Wrote".

For me, it´s difficult to compare Rodriguez and Castillo because Rodriguez left MV after a very short time. We didn´t get time to get to know him and his character better. But with Castillo you´re all right. He had authority and everybody respected him. It wasn´t necessary for him to shout. He spoke quietly and everybody had to listen if he didn´t want to dismiss an order.Castillo was a good boss, but so was Rodriguez. He was always worried about his employees and I think he shouted at Sony because they both had a similar temper. But it was Rodriguez who helped Rico when he wanted to stay and work in Miami as a policeman.

After MV - Gregory Sierra made a career out of guest-starting in other tv shows as a Police Lieutenant in huge 80s show "Cagney and Lacey" as well as other shows as "Murder She Wrote".

He was also a cop in "BARNEY MILLER".

Christine beat me to saying that we didn't see enough of Rodriquez. Rodriquez was 'old school' where Castillo was completely different than what we saw in the past. EJO tailored the roll to his personality. Which really worked!

Sonny actually suspected Lou of being a bent cop in Brothers Keeper. That is something nobody would have accused Castillo of.

By the way, does anyone remember any explanation about how Lou got the money for that expensive school? :confused:It was rather obvious that he wasn't a bad cop after all, and Sonny's suspections were wrong... but no explanation, this topic kind of stayed hanging in the air.Maybe I've just forgotten somehing, then remind me, please...:)

Boy was I glad when Rodriguez died... ... but I guess you figured that one out already ! :eek:

Well, in fact I didn't... :o I thought maybe you meant some other Rodriguez. Do you really dislike him so badly?

castillo's acting is rather automated though. Lou was more of a method actor i think' date=' someone who could improvise.[/quote']Well, of course I'm not really an expert... But I've read somewhere (most probably on this forum) about a funny episode, when EJO said something that wasn't in the script, and PMT was totally confused and didn't know what to say. Then DJ had to improvise too to save the scene. If I'm not mistaken it was one of Castillo's famous phrases, somethink like "Never come to my face like this again, detective..." So I guess he was capable of improvisation, LOL...

By the way' date=' does anyone remember any explanation about how Lou got the money for that expensive school? :confused:It was rather obvious that he wasn't a bad cop after all, and Sonny's suspections were wrong... but no explanation, this topic kind of stayed hanging in the air.Maybe I've just forgotten somehing, then remind me, please...:)[/quote']I think it was his wife who took a loan, but I could be wrong.

It was still good to have Lou Rodriguez for those opening 4 episodes anyway - set a different kind of tone - before Castillo was introduced in Episode 6.

Well' date=' in fact I didn't... :o I thought maybe you meant some other Rodriguez. Do you really dislike him so badly?[/quote'] Trouble is, without Castillo, Vice just ain't Vice, you know what I mean? So the quicker they got rid of Rodriguez the better.