Rodriguez vs Castillo

Shill

Guest neworder

As a young vicer, i.e didn't see the first run as simply I had not been conceived yet, one of the things I didn't like about Lou is that he seemed like an out dated character, the rest of the cast didn't seem to me like a cast of a show that was 20 years old when I first viewed it. Each had a distinguishing feature; Crockett a bit rough around the edges but super cool, Tubbs smooth as with his suites and charm, Switek large and funny, Zito kinda a bit of slacker but also a laugh, Gina and Trudy are ladies so they don't need a distinguishing feature because the sex they are is interesting enough for me lol.Lou however didn't have an distinguishing features, he seemed too old for the show, his character wasn't new and interesting, I think he is a fairly decent character however but against Castillo, it's a no win battle. Castillo had character and I know Lou wasn't in enough to have time to develop his character, but Castillo hit the nail on the head in the first episode he was in. I agree with COOP, Castillo had more depth. But it's nice to have Lou in there as a breakwater, we would never have had such a deep character as Castillo if it hadn't have been for Lou being there in the first place. I mean seriously, if Castillo had found about Tubbs stupid antics in the pilot would he really have let him work at OCB? Castillo would have sent him straight out the door!

Guest The Talk
That's very true Rodriguez did have a very "Hill Street Blues" feel - did Gregory Sierra quit or was he simply brought in for those first 4 episodes?I liked Lou Rodriguez' date=' and as our Glossary here states he had a 1970s feel about him.![/quote']The glossary says that he left the show by his own request. But unfortunately it doesn't say the reason why.LINKSo maybe 'Scot from S.C.' is right.@ Scot from S.C.Do you remeber where you read or heard this information? Would be very interesting.
By the way' date=' does anyone remember any explanation about how Lou got the money for that expensive school?[/b'] :confused:It was rather obvious that he wasn't a bad cop after all, and Sonny's suspections were wrong... but no explanation, this topic kind of stayed hanging in the air.Maybe I've just forgotten somehing, then remind me, please...:)
It was never meant in the show. But in Lou Rodriguez' biography Ell.a cited a passage from Stephen Grave's novel "The Florida Burn". In this story he writes that the lieutenant won $18,000 betting on horses.

• 1 month later...

Why are the Lieutenants handled differently in credits?A related query - why in the opening credits does it read "as Lieutenant Castillo" or "as Liutenant Rodriguez" after the actors' names, whereas all the other characters just get an name credit with no further identification?Plus, not quite so related...why was OCB full of other cops working alongside C&T, Gina, Trudi, Stan, Larry etc. in the first season, but as time goes on it seems as if the only cops employed by OCB are the main characters (except when there needs to be a specific "crowded office sequence" such as when there's an office party)?And to answer the opening question - Castillo all the way. In fact I would select Castillo over Crockett and Tubbs even. He is the main man. If the season 5 "Bad Crockett" storyline had run all the way to a showdown, my money is on Castillo taking Sonny down. He wouldn't even blink.

Hope it will make sense' date=' but in my opinion Rodrigez made Vice have a kind of Hill Street Blues feel. Castillo is what made Vice just that. Vice.[/quote']Agreed. The show was meant to be (and succeeded) a much darker show than had been the case in earlier, campy cop shows like HSB. I think Castillo clearly brought more of that flavor into the show whereas LR was more 70's TV--can't get his Barney Miller roll out of my head either.