Rodriguez vs Castillo

Shill

Trouble is' date=' without Castillo, Vice just ain't Vice, you know what I mean? [/quote']Well, we wouldn't even know that, IF they DIDN't get rid of Rodrigues at all. :D But I see your point.
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Per your request Shill. Poll added and I voted for Castillo. :thumbsup:I was afraid that if I didn't, he'd glare me to death. :D

It was still good to have Lou Rodriguez for those opening 4 episodes anyway - set a different kind of tone - before Castillo was introduced in Episode 6.

I agree 100%! :funky: And the introducing itself was very funny! :thumbsup:By the way... I guess I've asked it somewhere before, but since Castillo experts gather in this thread... :) In his interview from "E! Hollywood Story: Miami Vice" EJO described his fight with DJ over the door in Castillo's office when shooting a scene (EJO insisted that his door must be shut, and subordinates should knock). Then DJ got very angry and couldn't get off his own emotions when time came to shoot the scene, and he knocked at the door so hard that it just banged open very loudly, and then talked to Castillo very angrily... And Castillo started talking to Sonny without looking at him... and that continued for 8 SHOWS, according to EJO... :eek: (I guess by "shows" he meant "episodes", right?)All that sounded very funny... the problem is that I couldn't find these scene(s) in the show!!!! :confused::confused::confused: In fact I've never seen Castillo's door closed... Did I get something wrong? :confused:

In his interview from "E! Hollywood Story: Miami Vice" EJO described his fight with DJ over the door in Castillo's office when shooting a scene (EJO insisted that his door must be shut' date=' and subordinates should knock). Then DJ got very angry and couldn't get off his own emotions when time came to shoot the scene, and he knocked at the door so hard that it just banged open very loudly, and then talked to Castillo very angrily... And Castillo started talking to Sonny without looking at him... and that continued for 8 SHOWS, according to EJO... :eek: (I guess by "shows" he meant "episodes", right?)All that sounded very funny... the problem is that I couldn't find these scene(s) in the show!!!! :confused::confused::confused: In fact I've never seen Castillo's door closed... Did I get something wrong? :confused:[/quote']Great question, I'm very curious if anyone can answer it.

I'm the only one that prefers Lou..............

I don't understand why. Castillo is more reserved, but is still approachable and more importantly you can count on him. Lou was a nice guy but not as dependable.And in terms of making MV what it is, you need someone like Castillo to be the boss of Crockett & Tubbs - someone to put them straight, someone with a very strong personality. And the Castillo episodes were all very good. I don't think Lou-centered episodes would have been as good as Lou was a regular with a regular story -Castillo was someone different. And the acting by EJO was very good, right up there with DJ.

• Administrators

Rodriguez getting killed was one of the coolest things they ever did. Before Vice, every cop on every cop show eventually got shot and the whole episode hung on whether this person would live or die. Of course we knew they'd always pull through and be back on the job the very next week!Now along comes Vice, the boss gets shot, yada, yada, yada. But I swear when Rico looked at everyone and said "Rodriguez just died" I swear a chill came over me. Killing off a major character? They just didn't do that kind of stuff back then! That was when I said to myself "this show is definitely cool!"I do agree with others here that Lou gave Vice a kind of silly, average cop show feel. Castillo made Vice the gritty show we've come to know. If you want to see how much the show changed over that 1st season just watch "Heart of Darkness" and then watch ""Evan" Like day & night!

would castillo take a bullet for Sonny? Nope

Are you forgetting Castillo's rescue of Tubbs in Walk Alone? :pPutting himself in danger like that!

Now along comes Vice' date=' the boss gets shot, yada, yada, yada. But I swear when Rico looked at everyone and said "Rodriguez just died" I swear a chill came over me. Killing off a major character? They just didn't do that kind of stuff back then![/quote']Even more impressive is how early on they did it. It let anyone who hadn't figured it out yet that MV was a very different show.

would castillo take a bullet for Sonny? Nope

If given the oportunity he would.He got stabbed for trying to save a guy from getting assasinated in THE SAVAGE / DUTY AND HONOR. He got shot in WALK ALONE (thankfully a bullet proof vest) trying to rescue Tubbs. He was stabbed while trying to save his friend Jack's wife and child. Why would you think he wouldn't do it for Sonny? :confused:

castillo didn't show much remorse over the death of zito, and was willing to let it go down as an overdose though. Lou was genuinely concerned when Sonny's partner Eddie was killed in Brothers Keeper.

• Like 1

castillo didn't show much remorse over the death of zito' date=' and was willing to let it go down as an overdose though. Lou was genuinely concerned when Sonny's partner Eddie was killed in Brothers Keeper.[/quote']He knew the sorrow, although cold by our standards, would not solve the problems on the street. Bad guys don't stop being bad. Castillo knew that cloudy thinking would not help the dept.. Castillo sees things only in black and white (much like his clothes).Castillo would have let it go as an overdose due to lack of sufficient evidence to prove otherwise. Black and white.He himself knew zito didn't do drugs, but unless new evidence showed up, it would have to go down as that. How could it not?

he's a robot then? at least Lou had feelings. I'm just saying that it was a shame he was killed off so soon

C'mon.....:)Castillos not a robot, you know that. He's been married, has loyal friends, He can smile :), and has nothing but the best interests in his detectives, and the public in mind.He himself said he "applies the law evenly, no special cases". He was even getting ready to take his best friend JACK to jail for stealing the money he stole in the restroom, and for killing the dealer. He told Jack he couldn't let him walk. It's because that is the way it is. Right is right, wrong is wrong.Black and white.I'd want Castillo in my corner when it comes to the law, or in battle. He is a stand up guy, and would do whatever it took to do the right thing, putting his emotions aside.

fair enough.... i concede defeat

Your not defeated.This is just a discussion. Two friends chiming in about two tv characters.You are correct, it's a shame we didn't know Lou better. Crockett said he was one of the most rightious cops he knew.What would have been cool would be to have had Lou appear in other episodes, as a guest star, when they showed scenes from the pre vice days so we could learn more about him.I liked lou. I just think Castillo's character was much more interesting, and had more depth.Lou was a great husband, father, friend, and cop.