What draws you back to "the Vice"?

Morgana

I am a huge fan of Miami Vice, period... but once in a while something draws me back into it almost obsessively. I am going through one of those periods now. I am reading loads of fan fic (including the slash works APiW and ASiL), I am listening to Jan Hammer every available moment I have (like now on the iPod at work!)...I have no idea why I do this, why I immerse myself in it completely... there doesn't seem to be a catalyst... does this happen with anyone else?Thanks:radio:

I am a huge fan of Miami Vice' date=' period... but once in a while something draws me back into it almost obsessively. I am going through one of those periods now. I am reading loads of fan fic (including the slash works APiW and ASiL), I am listening to Jan Hammer every available moment I have (like now on the iPod at work!)...I have no idea why I do this, why I immerse myself in it completely... there doesn't seem to be a catalyst... does this happen with anyone else?Thanks:radio:[/quote']Morgana....This is a condition of which most of us on the site suffer from:rolleyes:. And it is perfectly normal why this happens to you;).The condition is called Vice-Aholic-lism....I suffer from it....and PERSONALLY....I'm not interested in a cure;):):D.

Oh I'm not looking for a cure... just a reason why, periodically, it becomes my obsession.I can't get enough of all things original Vice related! My name's Morgana and I'm a Viceaholic!

I agree with Maria. I´m a Vice - aholic, too, and I feel great with it. I love listening to the songs, watching the series, and reading the books. I´m in a really good mood when doing these things. So, why should I ask for cure?

Morgana, I think you started a Vice-aholic confession thread…:DWith me it doesn’t come in periods, I got it all the time. I’m addicted to this site as well for some months now and I feel better than ever! :dance2:

I fully agree on the no cure thing... Maybe I will never get an answer, as it is a personal thing... I know that I first got drawn to Miami Vice when I was going through a difficult time in my life - it was my escape - and, although my life is going better than it has been in a long while, my "obsession" phase feels just like it did the first time I discovered "Vice"... it's like catching up with a very old friend.

Morgana, I really have to respond to this one because it is so recognizable for me! 2009 was a very difficult year for me and I decided to leave all the bad things in my life and (re)find myself. I tried to remember what made me happy before and I picked up some old hobbies. And that was how I ended up here!Going back to the 80’s always makes me happy, so after a hard day at work and my children are to bed I love to watch the 80’s hour at VH-1 classic or I watch an episode of MV. It has the perfect combination for a relaxing night; nice looking men, good music, funny dialogues and great 80’s stuff. On my mp3 I play vice-music every day. In some way it gives me a certain feeling of invincibility. I put my chin up, relax my shoulders and there I go!That catching up with an old friend, it makes you feel comfortable in some way, just like a real friend when you need a shoulder to cry on? For me it has a different meaning. That old friend is me, the old me, the REAL me. That will be it for now before I get too personal here…:p

My name's Morgana and I'm a Viceaholic!

My name is Maria714....and I AM also a Viceaholic/Miami-Vice.ws addict.:):happy::D:clap::p

Although I'm obsessed with it, and live it everyday, there are days where it is stronger than ever. Many times, it's right after I have seen an episode, I have a day off, and the weather is good, so I try to recapture the feelings I felt while watching the show, wear clothes similar to the episode, listen to the 80's songs or Jan Hammer songs from the episode, and feel like I'm taking part in the episode.

It will always be one of the most special times in my life - watching Miami Vice every Friday night for 5 years, and the 3 trips to Miami to watch filming and be where everything "Vice" was at that time. I'm so grateful for it all, and I love sharing it with Vice Fans now:dance2:

Living the fantasy give me some essence of calm. I can get away from the real world for a while and re-live better times.

Living the fantasy give me some essence of calm. I can get away from the real world for a while and re-live better times.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I so agree with you, Stinger.I enjoy dipping into the series on a fairly regular basis and watching the eps but when my dad was diagnosed with his final illness, I immersed myself in them, watching at least one a night. It was my way of coping. I turned to DJ instead of JD ...

Guest neworder

Re-watching a good episode after spending ages wading through Season 3/4 mediocre. As such, I desperately need to view a Season 1/2 episode very soon or accelerate my progress towards the Burnett trilogy.Generally though I do listen to a Vice song of sorts on a daily basis, either Jan Hammer or artists track.Payback is almost a daily listen for me.

The sort of freshness of the first season had when everything wasn't set in stone, it felt like it was real.(I miss the chris craft most of all, if the daytona had looked like it did in S2, S1 would have been perfect)Season 2 and some of S3's surrealnessseason 4's death and a lady5's lethal weapon the tv show style yeah it got silly at times with all the laws broken, the money and the flash but when done RIGHT it was and still is like nothing else.

Originally Posted by Kavinskyit was and still is like nothing else.

Originally Posted by Stinger390X Living the fantasy give me some essence of calm. I can get away from the real world for a while and re-live better times.

:cheers::cheers::clap::clap::thumbsup::thumbsup:Can't say it any better.

Speaking of music...I could not have been any prouder than the three nights when good old fasion Canadian Rockers were introduced on my favourite show. Especially when I was sitting on the couch watching MV one friday night and all of a sudden Honeymoon Suite Came on. This was a total appiphony for me as these are my hometown boys!!! The two songs that got aired on MV were "Bad Attitude" and "New Girl Now"Kim Mitchell is also a staple in my lifes music as I was a big fan when he was in Max Webster and I listen to him on the radio daily here in Toronto. His song "Go for a Soda" also made for good memories.Whenever I hear these songs it reminds me of MV.Remember to get a song played on MV you had to have GOOD LUCK I suppose? These were great tunes and fit the bill perfectly for the episodes that they played in. I was proud I had such a close connection to them as local heroes of mine.

Feeling a bit bereft today as I have finished the latest fan fic and forgot to bring the Archos into the office... guess the iPod is going to take a "Hammer-ing"!!!

Hi Morgana...I'm a frequent lurker here but don't usually post.I just wanted to mention that if you love reading the fan fiction, to check out the livejournal vice fan fiction site...There are a couple of writers over there who wrote some really great stuff.It's a very small fandom over there, but there are some really good stories.I'm bad at posting links, but if you google livejournal vice_fic, you should be able to find the site.

This is a great topic. I think I say for most people on here that we never really get away from Vice, but sometimes we get caught up in life that it isn't as strong. It is always there, of course, even then. I dress each day in a Vicelike way, not just because I am trying to imitate someone off the show, but I love the look, and to me, it is so comfortable. Some days I dress more like Sam off "Burn Notice" because I wear a lot of khaki pants to work and usually a very Miami looking button down shirt untucked by such brands as Havanera, Havana Shirt Company, or Havana Jack; these brands usually feature very Miami/Cuban/Hispanic looking embroidery. I also wear to work and out pastel colored tshirts and henleys under the one linen Andrew Fezza blazer that I have. Oh, and I always go sockless in my shoes, which are usually a Sperry of some sort. Regardless of the outfit for the day, I usually get a comment from someone who says something like "you look like you have been to Miami" or "I love the shirt". I even have had women say "I wish my boyfriend or husband would wear clothes like that". I always feel great when I hear comments like that, and I know that I could easily blend in to an episode of "Miami Vice".The music from the 80s is all around us, fortunately, and it always puts me into a deeper Vice mode when I hear it. Even songs that weren't featured on the show make me feel like I am back in the 80s like the guys. I heard a Prince song this morning, "Little Red Corvette", and it took me right back to the era. I have mentioned numerous times how I love playing "Vice City" and "Scarface" on the PS2. I hope they make a GTA set in Vice City for the PS3. You can't help but be transported when you play those games.There is a little Cuban restaurant that I love to visit. Everytime I go I feel like I am in a Vice episode.Oh yeah, I grow palm trees in my yard, and they always remind me of Vice.I have digressed a bit, but I think every single day is a MV day for me...to varying degrees.

I am wondering if the fact that I am also so caught up in the final season of Ashes to Ashes isn't making me devour all things 80's, especially Miami Vice.It's true, it does make you feel comfortable. It definitely is returning to an old friend, a friend that has seen you through the bad times, and will do it again in a heartbeat.It has been wonderful reading all of your posts, hearing about what Miami Vice means to you, and how it has (and still is) affecting your lives.Shoregirl - thanks for the heads up, I will definitely check it out.