Don for CSI Miami

widereceiver 88

I read somewhere that Don was considered the lead role of Horatio Cane in CSI Miami.If this is true,it would have boost his acting career even more, seeing that they are in there 8th season already.Maybe Don was committed at the time when they started the program, I don't know.Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

• 4 weeks later...

Don Johnson and Jimmy Smits were the top choices for the lead in CSI:Miami. Smits turned it down, don't know what happened with DJ.

I always wondered which idiot casted David Caruso for this role. Caruso has a variety of one and a half face expressions and has the charisma of a hydrant.IMHO, was Caruso the worst choice of all. But 8 years ago, it was not cool for most screen actors to lead in a TV series and many respected actors turned down these kind of offers. I guess DJ di not want to make a long running third series after MV and NB anyway. Caruso who quit NYPD Blue because he thought he would become a big movie star had nothing else to do and found a crazy casting agent to accept him.Now, the situation´s totally different. There is a vast choice of movie stars who would accept to do a few years in a TV series and C-class actors like Caruso would not even get a guest starring part.

Don Johnson and Jimmy Smits were the top choices for the lead in CSI:Miami. Smits turned it down' date=' don't know what happened with DJ.[/quote'] Just think, it could have turned out just like Brother's Keeper (only without the car bomb)!

I always wondered which idiot casted David Caruso for this role. Caruso has a variety of one and a half face expressions and has the charisma of a hydrant.IMHO' date=' was Caruso the worst choice of all. But 8 years ago, it was not cool for most screen actors to lead in a TV series and many respected actors turned down these kind of offers. I guess DJ di not want to make a long running third series after MV and NB anyway. Caruso who quit NYPD Blue because he thought he would become a big movie star had nothing else to do and found a crazy casting agent to accept him.Now, the situation´s totally different. There is a vast choice of movie stars who would accept to do a few years in a TV series and C-class actors like Caruso would not even get a guest starring part.[/quote'] Caruso is an EGOtistical A$$clown of EPIC proportions.His antics behind the scenes on NYPD Blue range from tossing a trashcan during a hissy fit to causing David Milch to suffer a heart attack.Also was rumored that he was why Sherry Stringfield left the show.So watching him be a big bucket of F-A-I-L in feature films was awesome. Now one would think hard lessons would be learned, then RED MESS would do things differently this time.Sadly that wasn't the case, a BRAIN would be needed for that.Caruso ran poor Kim Delaney off the show, during one of the earlier seasons.Whined until they moved the production from Florida to California to suit him. Make the writers indulge his dopey zingers and creepy obsession with his sunglasses.:thumbsdown:

I do not know what happened but I cannot see DJ playing the role of LT caine if there was not a change of this character in the script to someone with more depth. And I think DJ would have never done the sunglasses and one liner thing.

I could imagine that DJ turned off the role because he was even married that time. Maybe, his wife didn´t want to leave San Francisco and DJ knew what could happen if they´re living so wide apart for many months a year.On the other hand, I think that David Caruso played Caine that way because he wanted to look as cool as his collleague of CSI Las Vegas. But for me, he´s not cool he´s deep frozen! Absolutely motionless.His behavior was the reason why I stopped watching the series.

Caruso is an EGOtistical A$$clown of EPIC proportions.His antics behind the scenes on NYPD Blue range from tossing a trashcan during a hissy fit to causing David Milch to suffer a heart attack.Also was rumored that he was why Sherry Stringfield left the show.Caruso ran poor Kim Delaney off the show' date=' during one of the earlier seasons.Whined until they moved the production from Florida to California to suit him. Make the writers indulge his dopey zingers and creepy obsession with his sunglasses.:thumbsdown:[/quote'] Well... at first I must say I'm NOT David Caruso's fan too (in fact, I don't know much about him at all, cause I just don't watch CSI), but are you sure all the rumours are true? ?( Like we all know, they say a lot of nasty things about DJ too, but we don't love him less for that. LOL IMHO, in most cases personal qualities (not to mention rumors) have nothing to do with acting talent.

You like to get an example for his unbelievable coolness? Here´s the key scene that let me stop watching the series.Horatio Cane had married a young woman, sister of one of his employees. He knew that she, probably, wouldn´t have to live that long becaus she was suffered with a cancer. But then she got killed right in front of him. In fact, the bullet shold have hit him not her.He wasn´t desperate nd didn´t even show with batting an eyelid that he was effected by her death.

Thanks for the lively explanation, Christine! :)You have no need to convince me - I can easily believe that D.Caruso is a "wooden" actor... maybe I've seen a couple of scenes from CSI with him, I'm just not sure... but if I have I most probably didn't like them. In fact, I don't really care about Mr Caruso, I just meant to say was that personal qualities and acting talent are two different things in general. Speaking of scene you mentioned... just imagine what we would see in DJ's eyes if he played that! :cool:

I've only seen parts of CSI Miami & I found Caruso to be a real stiff. The show doesn't have any action either. I'd want to see DJ in something more exciting! :fireworks:

Guest neworder

Whined until they moved the production from Florida to California to suit him. Make the writers indulge his dopey zingers and creepy obsession with his sunglasses.:thumbsdown:

Doubt this is true as David Caruso is a resident of both Miami and Los Angeles so wouldn't make a difference to him ...Production was always planned to be both in Miami and L.A with roughly 2 episodes filmed in Miami at the start and end of a season. Since the start of Season 7 they film it all in L.A, disappointingly. It's to do with budget constraints rather than Caruso's bossiness. Plus Season 1 character Megan Donner was removed due to poor screen chemistry rather than David Caruso requesting her removal. Tony D, there's enough action in there to keep the pace up.There's a lot of CSI Miami bashing on this forum lol, I mean sure it's nowhere near as good as Miami Vice but unfortunately everyone needs to accept the harsh reality, CSI Miami has remained on TV for longer than Miami Vice and in ratings terms, has sustained popularity for much longer than Vice did, so it mustn't be all that crap.

Well... at first I must say I'm NOT David Caruso's fan too (in fact' date=' I don't know much about him at all, cause I just don't watch CSI), but are you sure all the rumours are true? ?( Like we all know, they say a lot of nasty things about DJ too, but we don't love him less for that. LOL IMHO, in most cases personal qualities (not to mention rumors) have nothing to do with acting talent.[/quote']David Milch talked about Caruso's behavior on IFC's Dinner for Five a few yrs back. There were numerous reports that Delaney asked to leave, due to issues with him. As I recall, she was supposed to be co-lead, like Melina K was with Sinise on the other spin off.If I'm wrong, by all means correct me.Ditto for him wanting the production moved to California.Only one that hasn't ever been confirmed is about Sherry Stringfield.All I ever read/heard about DJ was how(in later seasons) he would show up on set whenever he pleased. And was rude and verbally abrasive with his fellow actors and crew sometimes.With that said, I'd take him over Captain Raybans anyday of the week.

New Order is right though, CSI: MTV is about to begin it's eighth season on the air. For better or worse, there is a fanbase that keeps the ratings up.My sister loves the show, it's a guilty pleasure of hers.She keeps tryin to get me to watch, used to occasionally watch for Speedle.Always liked Rory Cochrane.Once he left, I went with him.

Tastes differ. CSI must be a decent show if it has such high ratings... May be I would like it if I started watching - I just don't want to get absorbed by too many shows, that's why I don't even start. :) If DJ was there I wouldn't be able to resist, but otherwise it is no problem. :)

Speaking of scene you mentioned... just imagine what we would see in DJ's eyes if he played that! :cool:

I think, DJ and PMT would have reacted completely different. Please, remind the scene after Angelina got killed. Even though, PMT seemed to be startled, his expressions showed us that he was very effected by Angelina´s dead. He had worn the sunglasses to hide his, probably, swollen eyes.

Never saw when REDhead Raybans wife took a bullet for him.But if it was as bad as Speedle dying in his arms, I get the picture.

I I think' date=' DJ and PMT would have reacted completely different. Please, remind the scene after Angelina got killed. Even though, PMT seemed to be startled, his expressions showed us that he was very effected by Angelina´s dead. He had worn the sunglasses to hide his, probably, swollen eyes.[/quote'] Guess you're right, they are too different actors. But they also played too different characters, so maybe in another movie PMT would "react" differently from Tubbs, because it would be another character. (I've never actually seen any of his other works, besides his part in "Nash Bridges" - but there he was much like Tubbs, and that's completely understandable). But at least he would REACT somehow anyway, I suppose. :D

I didn´t want to convince you' date=' cheetah, just wanted to give you an example for Cane´s behavior.[/quote'] My apologies if I misunderstood you. :)

Guess you're right' date=' they are too different actors. But they also played too different characters, so maybe in another movie PMT would "react" differently from Tubbs, because it would be another character. (I've never actually seen any of his other works, besides his part in "Nash Bridges" - but there he was much like Tubbs, and that's completely understandable). But at least he would REACT somehow anyway, I suppose. :D[/quote'] I love PMT, but he has stunk up the joint on occasion as well.There was a little known film from the 70's called Death Drug he was in. There really isn't any words that I could use to describe how bad he was.So have a look....
But I'm willing to give PMT a free pass, since he did go on to be one half of the coolest Cop Duo in tv history.

Guest neworder
She keeps tryin to get me to watch' date=' used to occasionally watch for Speedle.Always liked Rory Cochrane.Once he left, I went with him.[/quote']Speedle was easily the strongest supporting character on CSI Miami before he left, decent character, sarcastic, witty and didn't take things too seriously, the best character after H. So I can fully understand your view there, Ryan Wolfe is crap in comparison.