Why Didn't J. Hammer make all the instrumentals in the series available for purchase?

allanwally

There are about twenty tracks that you cannot find anywhere.So many people would love to hear that stuff, and it seems like he just turned the page on his Miami Vice work before it was done.

• Administrators

That's the 64,000 dollar question! Seriously though, the main reason Jan hasn't released more than he has is because the music he created for Vice is owned by Universal. It was quite a challenge for Jan to get "The Complete Collection" album released and it's the same reason why Tim Truman is having trouble doing the same with his season 5 music scores.

It's really a shame, love to get a compilation CD set, that includes great tracks like "Rain" and the instrumental score from the episode Buddies.

I don't understand why Universal is so territorial when it comes to music from a show known for it's music :D. It is the day of the itunes store though and maybe Truman and Hammer will get to distribute their music this way someday. I brought this up in a thread with Truman a while back on the .org forum and mentioned that Mark Snow, among a lot of others, have done for this for their scores.

Maybe a 4chan-like raid to Universal's website would help in allowing Hammer and Truman to release more of their tracks.

Jan has mentioned that he has considered having some of the music available for downloads, but then again, he has also said that he isn't interested in having most of the music released as heard in MIAMI VICE, but would rather re-do the music so it can be heard as one piece of music, and not in fragments. He wants it to have a more polished sound.-COOP

Jan has mentioned that he has considered having some of the music available for downloads' date=' but then again, he has also said that he isn't interested in having most of the music released as heard in MIAMI VICE, but would rather re-do the music so it can be heard as one piece of music, and not in fragments. He wants it to have a more polished sound.-COOP[/quote']he has to re-record it if he wants to issue it without Universal´s approval. That´s what he did with the Complete Collection, otherwise we would not even have this CD in our lifetime (it takes some decades for Universal to take a decision you know). If he wanted to release his scores as heard on TV, then you will not live long enough until Universal approves.

• 2 months later...
he has to re-record it if he wants to issue it without Universal´s approval. That´s what he did with the Complete Collection' date=' otherwise we would not even have this CD in our lifetime (it takes some decades for Universal to take a decision you know). If he wanted to release his scores as heard on TV, then you will not live long enough until Universal approves.[/quote'] That's why Jan Hammer's "Marina" theme on the complete collection CD is a little different (as compared to the original on the actual MV episode) I guess...I take it Jan re-done that track, for the CD complete collection? I would LOVE to hear Jan Hammer do EVERY SINGLE TRACK that was used in MV also!!! Unlike a singer (who's voice will differ from age), instrumentals are always the same with time. I wish Jan does another complete collection CD.... with ALL the songs!That would be killer!

• Administrators

Yes "Marina" was redone. Check out Dadrian's cover if you like the original version! We would all love to have Jan release every one of his cues but as long as Universal owns them it's not gonna happen and if Jan has to re-record them with changes I'd just as soon wait for Dadrian's covers.

Yes "Marina" was redone. Check out Dadrian's cover if you like the original version! We would all love to have Jan release every one of his cues but as long as Universal owns them it's not gonna happen and if Jan has to re-record them with changes I'd just as soon wait for Dadrian's covers.

There have been exceptions, like the actual, original tracks that were made available on the flexi discs in KEYBOARD MAGAZINE. Those are original, and untouched.

There have been exceptions' date=' like the actual, original tracks that were made available on the flexi discs in KEYBOARD MAGAZINE. Those are original, and untouched.[/quote'] Forgot about those, that's right!

• Administrators

Yes you're right of course. Unfortunately there are way too few originals. I'm grateful for the (In)"Complete Collection" but I don't like the changes Jan made to "Angelina Flashback", "Candy", "Rico's Blues" etc.

There have been exceptions' date=' like the actual, original tracks that were made available on the flexi discs in KEYBOARD MAGAZINE. Those are original, and untouched.[/quote'] Could you write names of those tracks, please ? :)

Could you write names of those tracks' date=' please ? :)[/quote']Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildBoth records have three tracks on them. All of them are have some differences from those that made it to the COMPLETE COLLECTION cd (Some have minor changes, some major changes, and some completely different than were on the COMPLETE COLLECTION, or not even heard on the cd because these were the ACTUAL tracks used in MIAMI VICE!)-COOP

Thanks so much @COOPER&BURNETT! :)What a shame, that Jan didn't share more unreleased tracks from MV to Keyboard Magazine. Cues from "Shadow In The Dark" sound great!

Thanks so much @COOPER&BURNETT! :)What a shame' date=' that Jan didn't share more unreleased tracks from MV to Keyboard Magazine. Cues from "Shadow In The Dark" sound great![/quote']He should have released more of the original cues - not the reworked 2002 versions he did the quality was just not there:D

I really want the song from the beginning (end the end) of Son's and Lovers....I think it's in Home invaders as well. I also really want Last talk (the original version)...Can't find them...