Why Didn't J. Hammer make all the instrumentals in the series available for purchase?

allanwally

• Administrators

Now if I can find Last Call (original version)....like the one that ends in Prodigal son

Don't you mean "Candy"? "Last Call"was one of Dadrian's covers.

Don't you mean "Candy"? "Last Call"was one of Dadrian's covers.

Yup...I get Last Call and Candy mixed up. Isn't there another version of Last call out there (not season 3 version)?

Yup...I get Last Call and Candy mixed up. Isn't there another version of Last call out there (not season 3 version)?

Another version is from Yankee Dollar. :) Dadrian made covers both of them.

Another version is from Yankee Dollar. :) Dadrian made covers both of them.

Yankee Dollar.....isn't that Last Call? Are you talking about the song in the beginning when they were at the OCB?

• 2 months later...

reason for hope:Universal has a new regime which is friendly to the release of music from their tv and movie productions!The last year saw first time ever releases of music from BACK TO THE FUTURE, FAMILY PLOT, and other vintage film soundtracks.It might take a speciality label like Intrada or Film Score Monthly to pick up the ball and produce the cd's.Keep the faith!bruce marshallauthor, "Vice's Verses"

... he has also said that he isn't interested in having most of the music released as heard in MIAMI VICE' date=' but would rather re-do the music so it can be heard as one piece of music, and not in fragments. He wants it to have a more polished sound.-COOP[/quote'] This makes alot of sense because the music AS HEARD IN THE SHOWis often cut short, edited , and not presented in a manner that would make for great listening on cd. Jan did an incredible job of re-creating his sound and stretching the tracks out to a sensible length. The oofficial soundtrack albums contain tracks that are identical to the ones used in the episodes that featured them:"Evan" " being the best example.bruce

This makes alot of sense because the music AS HEARD IN THE SHOWis often cut short' date=' edited , and not presented in a manner that would make for great listening on cd. Jan did an incredible job of re-creating his sound and stretching the tracks out to a sensible length. The oofficial soundtrack albums contain tracks that are identical to the ones used in the episodes that featured them:"Evan" " being the best example.bruce[/quote'] Plus, some of the cues are so short, it'd be odd to devote an entire track to them. I think Noogie's Theme is only about 5 seconds long.

Plus' date=' some of the cues are so short, it'd be odd to devote an entire track to them. I think Noogie's Theme is only about 5 seconds long.[/quote']Personally, I don't care if the tracks are short. As a film music collector, I'l take it any way I can get it. Some have a bunch of charm, and would have loved to have had the music on the DVD's have an Isolated music track. It would stop people asking for the music, an give fans what they want, plus it would save money on the production of future redone CD's.

Isolated music track. It would stop people asking for the music, an give fans what they want, plus it would save money on the production of future redone CD's.

The process of creating an isolated music track from an existing source that has already been mixed down is rather complex, but it can be done...One product on the market that can simplify this is "DVD Audio Extractor", which is a software DVD audio extracting / ripping tool. It can extract sound tracks from DVDs and DVD-Audio discs and save them as OGG, MP3 or Wave files. It also demuxes audio streams directly to WAV, MPEG, AC3 or DTS files...and it's freeware...

The process of creating an isolated music track from an existing source that has already been mixed down is rather complex' date=' but it can be done...One product on the market that can simplify this is "DVD Audio Extractor", which is a software DVD audio extracting / ripping tool. It can extract sound tracks from DVDs and DVD-Audio discs and save them as OGG, MP3 or Wave files. It also demuxes audio streams directly to WAV, MPEG, AC3 or DTS files...and it's freeware...[/quote']True, but it works to uneven, and non perfect effect on many recordings. It's better than nothing, but it's not perfect. Sound effects, dialog, and unequal sound can happen. Also, many times it sounds "tinny", thus meaning it's not as expansive and crystal clear sounding as an isolated track.As I said before, it's better than nothing, and the sound varies from recording to recording. I don't know of anyone who has successfully ripped Jan Hammer's score to SECRET ADMIRER very well.I'd still prefer an isolated track. :thumbsup:

i would love iso music tracks.The new box sets of THRILLER have iso scores of Jerry Goldsmith and it sounds great.However, to create a music only track you have to go back to the ORIGINAL elements i.e. Hammer's stand alone music score.Otherwise the best that can be presented is a music and sound effects track with no dialog

i would love iso music tracks.The new box sets of THRILLER have iso scores of Jerry Goldsmith and it sounds great.However' date=' to create a music only track you have to go back to the ORIGINAL elements i.e. Hammer's stand alone music score.Otherwise the best that can be presented is a music and sound effects track with no dialog[/quote']Yes, but UNIVERSAL not Jan Hammer owns the music. A composer is a pen for hire. Once they write the music, the company that pays him owns the music. Universal has the music in their vaults. It can be done.P.S. JERRY GOLDSMITH IS A MASTER COMPOSER. I have virtually everything he's done. Lots of Limited Edition, and bootleg cds. Same goes for JOHN WILLIAMS. :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Yes' date=' but UNIVERSAL not Jan Hammer owns the music. A composer is a pen for hire. Once they write the music, the company that pays him owns the music. Universal has the music in their vaults. It can be done.P.S. JERRY GOLDSMITH IS A MASTER COMPOSER. I have virtually everything he's done. Lots of Limited Edition, and bootleg cds. Same goes for JOHN WILLIAMS. :thumbsup:[/quote']right.so an iso track can be created by Universal BUT i cant see them re-issuing the dvd's with them as an extra. Best hope is downloads (ugh!) or new cd's from the music in the vaults

right.so an iso track can be created by Universal BUT i cant see them re-issuing the dvd's with them as an extra. Best hope is downloads (ugh!) or new cd's from the music in the vaults

I can see them possibly (not really) issuing blue ray DVD's or Aniversary editions, but I also don't see them adding an isolated score to it.Oh well...I can DREAM can't I? :)

fyiI had an expert transfer the flexi-disc of SHADOWS to cd and it sounds great !!.the resulting cd alos contains additional songs and instrumentals that I chose and professional artwork.if you are interested in acquiring it pm me and i will forward your inquiry.he charges a very modest fee.bruce

reason for hope:Universal has a new regime which is friendly to the release of music from their tv and movie productions!The last year saw first time ever releases of music from BACK TO THE FUTURE' date=' FAMILY PLOT, and other vintage film soundtracks.It might take a speciality label like Intrada or Film Score Monthly to pick up the ball and produce the cd's.Keep the faith!bruce marshallauthor, "Vice's Verses"[/quote']
This makes alot of sense because the music AS HEARD IN THE SHOWis often cut short' date=' edited , and not presented in a manner that would make for great listening on cd. Jan did an incredible job of re-creating his sound and stretching the tracks out to a sensible length. The oofficial soundtrack albums contain tracks that are identical to the ones used in the episodes that featured them:"Evan" " being the best example.bruce[/quote']There was a TV show several years ago (about 1998) called, BABYLON 5 by Christopher Franke, that came out with a series of many cds that had the entire score of ONE EPISODE on each cd. Therefore, if tracks were fragmented, it would sound fine in a format such as that. I would work in the context of a episode cd. They brought out several of these short cds.I would think this could be a good idea.