Episode #25 "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"

Ferrariman

I give this episode a 7. I just found the storyline not very emotionally gripping or compelling. It had more of a silly theme all through.

• 1 month later...

One of the few episodes which saved the Season 2.Unhopefully my original DVD has a bad quality imagem (shame on you Universal!)

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the episodes that grew on me. 10/10. I think CandT start calling Weldon crazy a little too early, but that's one hour tv show for you. It's a pretty well written episode, and i notice the story was by Joel Surnow. As usual, Hammer's music really is a strong accompaniment, and individual scenes are really fleshed out by it.

Perfect episode, definitely one of my most favorite. I only can't agree that the scene in the room with Castillo when they were trying to decide if they could work with Weldon, was slow. Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't see it being slow, it is rather intense, and I love this scene! In the empty office, in the dark... but the best thing about it is how Crockett weighs his words saying his line and weighs carefully his feelings about Weldon to come to this final decision. I give this episode 10, I wish I could give it more

if it wasn't for the obivious dubing of the daytona at the end I'd had gone along with that and given it a 10, after all the shifting of the ferrari is out of sync with the scene and the daytona sounds nice enough as it was.V12's are actually strangely quiet, the 350 ci in vette however isn't (just listen to it purr of it in the last scene of Whatever Works and compare it to the testarosa's engine note in Stone's War and you'll see what I mean) and should have been left alone, other than that one annoying little thing I'd give this episode a 9.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it strange that this ep currently rates higher in the ep voting than even Prodigal Son or Lombard. Not by much admittedly, but I would've thought there should be no contest here. Has the undeniably great ending to this ep made people overscore it a little? I mean I'm not a huge fan of Prodigal Son myself, but I'd still say according to the popular vote that overall as episodes go both Lombard and Prodigal Son are better eps than OWTBDR. Agree/disagree?

Guest neworder

Its not just the ending though, the awesome scarab scene (admittedly takes a while to get to it), top notch intro. The episode is mostly light hearted too and it keeps me interested, I wanted to know what Weldon was all about and then fantastic finale tells us. Awesome style too. Very good story aswell. It betters Prodigal son in my book because PS has storyline issues and betters Lombard because the ending is simply superb and better than any scene in Lombard. RID, It's a shame you sort of knew the ending before you watched it, I was lucky and didn't read into this ep much at all and didn't see it until I got the DVD's and I loved it and still do. The ending still gives me a few shivers.

Its not just the ending though' date=' the awesome scarab scene (admittedly takes a while to get to it), top notch intro. The episode is mostly light hearted too and it keeps me interested, I wanted to know what Weldon was all about and then fantastic finale tells us. Awesome style too. Very good story aswell. It betters Prodigal son in my book because PS has storyline issues and betters Lombard because the ending is simply superb and better than any scene in Lombard. RID, It's a shame you sort of knew the ending before you watched it, I was lucky and didn't read into this ep much at all and didn't see it until I got the DVD's and I loved it and still do. The ending still gives me a few shivers.[/quote'] Maybe you're right mate - the trouble is not only did I know the ending but I also found quite a bit of the ep too slow and I'm not passionate about the scarab side of MV either, so it leaves little to be enamoured with for me - whereas at least I don't have similar gripes with PS or Lombard - in my book Lombard's the pick of the bunch, but I was less concerned with my opinion and more with the voting opinion. Look at the voting on the 'old ' site for example - OWTBDR actually scored less than both Lombard & PS there - and generally speaking there is a lot of correlation between the voting last time and this time - so the differences do tend to stick out a bit.

I liked the out-of-sync engine audio, and I don't think it was accidental. It added to the dreamy quality of the scene (along with the slightly blurred lights). The transition from comedy to tragedy in this episode, fully foreshadowed, is brilliantly executed.

• 8 months later...

Just watched this episode for the first time in a couple of years. Forgot how good it was. The ending with "brothers in arms" playing, and the car scenes, was classic Miami Vice as far as I'm concerned. 10.

• 3 weeks later...
Just watched this episode for the first time in a couple of years. Forgot how good it was. The ending with "brothers in arms" playing' date=' and the car scenes, was classic Miami Vice as far as I'm concerned. 10.[/quote']10 as well if i could of voted lol but as you say the end car scene is 10x better than any of these new movies coming out know espeicaly as he drives up the on ramp. reminds me of heat as neal drives to the hotel to kill wayne grow

• 2 weeks later...

I for one wasn't bothered with the out-of-syncness or peculiar lighting of the ending scene. Actually I didn't even notice any of that (which I usually do). The ending was just so powerful for some reason I was just sucked in. I know it seems cheesy to repeat what most of you have said but I really like the ending.In addition (again been mentioned here) I liked Bruce McGill's crazy portrayal, I wasn't annoyed by it at all. The comedy and drama really work well together in this episode.What else can I say about the episode? It seems it all has been mention already. It looks like the poll has been closed, but my rating would be 9/10. It being as good as it is, I don't think I can give it a perfect score, but this episode is as good as Brother's Keeper, Prodigal Son and Payback to name just a few of my favourites.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...for whatever reason I can't vote and the poll is closed?? What the heck...this is one of my all-time favorites of not only the second season but of the series! I definitely would give this a 10 if I was allowed! :(Anyway--this is just an episode that captivates me everytime...no matter how many times I've seen it! The plot (which I've read was one, like "Shadow In the Dark", that was based on an actual case) was superb...and everyone gives superb performances!! :thumbsup: I especially love Bruce McGill's performance and his definite mental issues--but still intelligent at the same time! I love when he tries to first shake Castillo's hand and does that shaking of his head and cartoon-like noises of "shaking it off" or "waking up." :)The music was awesome too--especially at the end and the action was superb! I also like the song by The Who at the beginning with Little Richard--and that's now the starting theme song to "CSI: NY." The first time I saw this episode I actually did think you were supposed to think Acaro was dead and Marty Lang was just a nut-job---while in reality Marty was right and at the end Acaro would "pop" out of the woodwork (oops...pun intended! :p) and really would be alive. But, it turns out he was really a mummy in an old abandoned building! It was just something different and I loved it! "Out Where the Buses Don't Run", "Tale of the Goat", "Definitely Miami", and "Little Miss Dangerous" are my most favorite episodes of 2nd season--and some of my most favorite of the series. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Ummmmmmmmmmmm why is the poll for this one closed?Oh well, here's my review.As I stated in another thread here, this runs a very close 2nd to Evan for all time best MV episode. Bruce McGill was in charge, all the viewer and his co-stars can do in strap in for the ride.And what a RIDE it is, concluding with one the greatest and haunting endings to a MV episode. Tv drama at it's absolute best, plain and simple.10/10

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I love this episode for it's overall creepiness and weirdness. The first time I saw the ending, how do you say, shocked but not surprised? I loved it.

I love this episode for it's overall creepiness and weirdness. The first time I saw the ending' date=' how do you say, shocked but not surprised? I loved it.[/quote']Totally agree!! Here's what I said earlier concerning this episode:Okay...for whatever reason I can't vote and the poll is closed?? What the heck...this is one of my all-time favorites of not only the second season but of the series! I definitely would give this a 10 if I was allowed! :(Anyway--this is just an episode that captivates me everytime...no matter how many times I've seen it! The plot (which I've read was one, like "Shadow In the Dark", that was based on an actual case) was superb...and everyone gives superb performances!! :thumbsup: I especially love Bruce McGill's performance and his definite mental issues--but still intelligent at the same time! I love when he tries to first shake Castillo's hand and does that shaking of his head and cartoon-like noises of "shaking it off" or "waking up." :)The music was awesome too--especially at the end and the action was superb! I also like the song by The Who at the beginning with Little Richard--and that's now the starting theme song to "CSI: NY." The first time I saw this episode I actually did think you were supposed to think Acaro was dead and Marty Lang was just a nut-job---while in reality Marty was right and at the end Acaro would "pop" out of the woodwork (oops...pun intended! :p) and really would be alive. But, it turns out he was really a mummy in an old abandoned building! It was just something different and I loved it! "Out Where the Buses Don't Run", "Tale of the Goat", "Definitely Miami", and "Little Miss Dangerous" are my most favorite episodes of 2nd season--and some of my most favorite of the series. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Perfect and brilliant episode!:clap::happy::happy:All elements which we love are existent: unforeseeable and therefore excellent plot, awesome performance of actors, wonderful locations and style as well as totally fantastic music!!!:glossy:The Teaser with Baba O'Riley by The Who already promises a first-class episode. It's very funny when Sonny (dressed in cool white!) and Rico arrest the dealer in the middle of a religious community.:)After the teaser, the first minutes are absolutely great: Hank Weldon just strolls through the OCB, straight to Castillo's office - though he isn't a cop!!!The viewers are confused: is this guy a cop or not???:confused:Castillo, Sonny and Rico also don't know how they should deal with this "guest". But they don't get a word in edgeways because Weldon blindsides them with his adventurous story about Tony Arcaro, Constanza and Pinchada :o - and he manages to convince them that this story is believeable.In this way one of the best episodes of VICE begins...The whole story is leaded by the fantastic performance of Hank Weldon who plays the insane cop perfectly. The Interplay between Sonny, Rico, Castillo and Weldon is excellent.:clap:You don't exactly know whether Weldon is crazy or a good cop with a good nose. Finally it's clear that Weldon killed Arcaro and the whole time he messed the OCB about.:oOne of the best scenes of the episode is at Stiltsville when Sonny, Rico and Weldon are talking. Sonny is loading his Steyr AUG, smoking and wearing his Wayfarer.:cool::clap:After the shootout and Weldon's desperate search, the BEST scenes of the episode follows: Weldon calls Castillo and later Sonny that he has arrested Arcaro.Immediately they rage to the adress - and Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits is played - one of the best songs of the complete series!!!:radio::radio::glossy:Each note fits to each scene, it describes the atmosphere perfectly!:thumbsup:We are at the top of VICE's popularity and we notice that!10 of 10 points!!!

• 5 months later...

SPOLIER - OTWTBDR explainedI've watched this episode 3 times now. Can I just clarify the plot here. Please correct me where I'm wrong:C&T arrest Skates in the hope it'll get them close to the big boss called Constanza. Weldon appears and tells them Constanza's former boss, Acaro, is actually alive and planning to hit Constanza through a rival gang (can't remember the name of the leader) who Arcaro now controls. When this comes true Weldon is arrested and then released. He then says Arcaro's new gang will be making a drug deal. They all go there, arrest everyone but arcaro isn't there.We then come on to the great final scene where Arcaro's fate is revealed.Is that about the size of it?Anyone know how Weldon gets hold of his info? And why does he decide to reveal Arcaro's fate after all those year's of silence? Has he only just been released from the mental hospital?Thanks

• 3 months later...

There's definitely some great moments here and it's a good episode. But one of the best? I don't think so. Or actually I'm on the fence here. Because if I watch this episode alone it seems a much better, but if I watch it on a same day as The Prodigal Son it doesn't work so well. I mean compared to Whatever Works this is a great one, but it still just doesn't move me as much as some of you. Also I think that Brothers in Arms could have been used in a different episode in a different way and it would've been even better (or not).Funny thing is that I liked this one more when I saw it the first time. Maybe I have to watch this one alone one more time in a near future and then decide if I really like it or not.However, it's still 9/10

hallo friends, my absolut favorit epispde, i find all in the episode good:thumbsup:, from music :thumbsup: inchoate ,as far as in the minutest details :thumbsup::cool::clap:.i give 10 points.

:thumbsup::cool::clap::radio::eek:

• 1 month later...

I just love this episode it's classic vice.Its a funny episode and a serious one also.When I first saw this episode in the 80"s and the body was shown behind the wall that :eek: for sure.I like when Marty said He was my partner, you understand? You understand?!" that was such an early episode of vice at the time.I wondered if Sonny&Rico would have known they were going to face something similar with them in the Burnett Trilogy you would do anything for your partner even with one who would not know who the hell you were.I do like the scene towards the end when they arrive where Hank is they get out of the daytona and the song is playing Brothers in arms and you hear thunder I found that so :cool: I think mother nature decided to put her effects in unless that was not mother nature who did that.Does anybody know?just curiousLove,Love that episode.:thumbsup:

actually regarding this episode I did find this a few weeks ago, wasnt sure where to put it though:

and personally I think its a good solid episode, better than buddies for sure and a few of the other season 2 episodes, not evan great but a good solid episode nontheless. I'd say 7.5.hell my only nitpick is in regards to the last scene with the daytona there and the ferrari noises, as well it means the daytona is a 15 gear monster from the sound of it, remove those and keep the normal V8 noises like they did with this S1 episode

and I'd say 8

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1JzN5THOw and personally I think its a good solid episode, better than buddies for sure and a few of the other season 2 episodes, not evan great but a good solid episode nontheless. I'd say 7.5.hell my only nitpick is in regards to the last scene with the daytona there and the ferrari noises, as well it means the daytona is a 15 gear monster from the sound of it, remove those and keep the normal V8 noises like they did with this S1 episode

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3hrvpxsRKo&feature=plcp

and I'd say 8
Love these both videos.The second one you could hear the daytona.Well,I hope it was the daytona.The brother's in Arms sounded like a souped up engine sound made up.