Episode #23 "The Prodigal Son"

Ferrariman

Trudy's BIG booty is perfectly (intentionally no doubt in my mind) displayed as C&T enter the DEA party venue.  Its actually jaw dropping.  The sista is shaking it too.  I can just hear Micheal Mann or Anthony Yerkovich instruct her to "shake your butt some as you saunter in the doorway.  I wish I would have have been twenty yrs older in 1985.  Id've moved down to Miami.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 3

On 6/28/2018 at 5:06 PM, S.FL84 said:

Trudy's BIG booty is perfectly (intentionally no doubt in my mind) displayed as C&T enter the DEA party venue.  Its actually jaw dropping.  The sista is shaking it too.  I can just hear Micheal Mann or Anthony Yerkovich instruct her to "shake your butt some as you saunter in the doorway.  I wish I would have have been twenty yrs older in 1985.  Id've moved down to Miami.

Great scene - Trudy is fine and she got finer as the show progressed!

• 2 months later...

Google the biblical reference. It’s about Tubbs going home. Also parallels with the pilot title being a biblical reference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Google the biblical reference. It’s about Tubbs going home. Also parallels with the pilot title being a biblical reference. 

Yes definately - the only one I didn’t get was “Dutch Oven” Season 2?:hippie:

22 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Yes definately - the only one I didn’t get was “Dutch Oven” Season 2?:hippie:

Trudy was in a pressure cooker, you might say. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/6/2018 at 9:35 AM, Dadrian said:

"Pressure Cooker"/Dutch Oven! That's a good one! :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gina is doing a great performance, when she simulates agony. we really have the feeling she hurts badly

in NY, when C & T met with the NY police chief. there's a girl talking behind with another woman. it's Annie Golden (Tommy, the auto mechanics)

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

Gina is doing a great performance, when she simulates agony. we really have the feeling she hurts badly

in NY, when C & T met with the NY police chief. there's a girl talking behind with another woman. it's Annie Golden (Tommy, the auto mechanics)

"I'm cold..." That really got to me when she said that. And then, Crockett covering her with his jacket! Yikes....

• Like 4

On 9/6/2018 at 7:35 AM, Dadrian said:

Except a Dutch Oven isn't a pressure cooker.:p

This was a decent episode. Another of Vice's excursions into political commentary, and one of the few where we really get a whiff of the nasty side of the narcotics trade (the Revillas were really proto-narcos in how they ran their business, and the opening in Columbia shows how compromised the DEA has to be to conduct investigations in the Vice universe (and maybe a window into why Castillo left the agency). I did rather like Margaret...if for no other reason than it shows Sonny's capacity for falling for what he believes are 'damaged' women (something we see over and over with him). Valerie...well...we also get to see Tubbs' obsession with things that are done and buried (a reverse Crockett and Gina...sorry to all the C-G fans out there). I was always surprised at the limited number of contacts Tubbs had in NCY, considering he and his brother were both NYPD.

Great visuals. but it was almost too ambitious.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Except a Dutch Oven isn't a pressure cooker.:p

Who said it was? :p

20 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Who said it was? :p

You implied it was...:p Personally I think the title had more to do with how dutch ovens were often used in the US (at least): you bury them in the fire's embers overnight and dig out the cooked food in the morning. It could have been a metaphor for Trudy's maturation process in this episode...how she grows from a decoy hooker into a solid detective. Or maybe they just like the sound of the name.:cheers:

• Like 2

Yeah that was a little misleading on my part :) 

Good ideas about the title there, and great thoughts on Prodigal Son. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. It's an odd episode title, and that's what quickly came to mind. I like the episode (because Trudy), but always felt the title didn't quite work unless you looked at it in a very abstract way.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:35 AM, Dadrian said:

“Dutch oven” used to be moron-slang for on a honeymoon moon night a husband would fart in bed and then pull the sheet over both to make the wife have to smell it too. :) Doubt anyone really did this, nor was that what the writers were thinking when coming up with the title. :p But, just sayin’. 

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Valerie...well...we also get to see Tubbs' obsession with things that are done and buried (a reverse Crockett and Gina...sorry to all the C-G fans out there). I was always surprised at the limited number of contacts Tubbs had in NCY, considering he and his brother were both NYPD.

Great visuals. but it was almost too ambitious.

You are correct with Tubbs...he was obsessed with Valerie. She was toxic, a femme-fatale, that he couldn’t get past. But Crockett and Gina didn’t have an “obsession”...they truly had a connection and a relationship that went much deeper & further than sex. It was much more “real” than anything Tubbs and Valerie had. Crockett and Gina were never dead-n-buried either. Throughout the entire show they always had that connection and “spark”—even when Crockett was with Caitlin. ;)  Whether it was intentional by the actors, producers, or whoever, or not...it was always there. 

Ive never cared for Prodigal Son...not worthy of a 2-hr episode, it supposedly had Crockett and Tubbs doing really stupid things they would not normally do, and there were parts that were just kind of weird. But, superb musical score! I’ll give it that! :thumbsup::radio: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

“Dutch oven” used to be moron-slang for on a honeymoon moon night a husband would fart in bed and then pull the sheet over both to make the wife have to smell it too. :) Doubt anyone really did this, nor was that what the writers were thinking when coming up with the title. :p But, just sayin’. 

You are correct with Tubbs...he was obsessed with Valerie. She was toxic, a femme-fatale, that he couldn’t get past. But Crockett and Gina didn’t have an “obsession”...they truly had a connection and a relationship that went much deeper & further than sex. It was much more “real” than anything Tubbs and Valerie had. Crockett and Gina were never dead-n-buried either. Throughout the entire show they always had that connection and “spark”—even when Crockett was with Caitlin. ;)  Whether it was intentional by the actors, producers, or whoever, or not...it was always there. 

Ive never cared for Prodigal Son...not worthy of a 2-hr episode, it supposedly had Crockett and Tubbs doing really stupid things they would not normally do, and there were parts that were just kind of weird. But, superb musical score! I’ll give it that! :thumbsup::radio: 

I get that you're a G-C fan, but I really don't buy the total connection thing. Sorry. I never saw the spark. It was more a reverse of Tubbs and Valerie to me...she might have had the spark but he'd moved past that some time back. I think by the end of season three Crockett had transitioned to being good friends with Gina, while she still clung to her dream. We can, of course, agree to disagree about that, though.:cool:

I don't think that's the dutch oven they were thinking of, though...:wuerg:

Just now, Robbie C. said:

I get that you're a G-C fan, but I really don't buy the total connection thing. Sorry. I never saw the spark. It was more a reverse of Tubbs and Valerie to me...she might have had the spark but he'd moved past that some time back. I think by the end of season three Crockett had transitioned to being good friends with Gina, while she still clung to her dream. We can, of course, agree to disagree about that, though.:cool:

I don't think that's the dutch oven they were thinking of, though...:wuerg:

We’ll have to agree to disagree...Crockett attempted to move on for various reasons, but never really could. The looks they both would exchange and/or the looks in their eyes when looking at the other, things they’d say or do for the other, the actual love & respect they had for each other...like it or not, the spark was definitely there. :fireworks: Their relationship was much deeper & real than Tubbs & Valerie. Tubbs was obsessed with Valerie...but she was a user, a fake, and only thought of herself. It was toxic. Although they were not “together” when the show was cancelled, Crockett and Gina were not toxic or poisonous for each other...they both cared for and loved the other. 

As for Dutch Oven...I would seriously hope my slang version was not what they were thinking of, lol :)...however, Trudy’s guy was a total fart!! He was her “Valerie” (referring back to Tubbs’ ridiculousness). 

• Like 2

I have a Dutch Oven. The special thing about it is that you not only put coal under the pot, but also on the lid, which is totally flat, so that the coal stays on it. When cooking, the heat comes from the top and bottom at the same time. (This is different to the pictures in the link.)
The same way Trudy feels pressure from her boyfriend and her colleagues/duty, I think.

• Like 2