Episode #23 "The Prodigal Son"

Ferrariman

10 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Well said, @wolfie1996! This is what I liked about her. :fireworks:

Forgot to mention, she also took his gun, and later asked him "if he'd felt emasculated without it"! Ooooh!

Edited by wolfie1996
correcting a typo..
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Forgot to mention, she also took his gun, and later asked him "if he'd felt emasculated without it"! Ooooh!

Yep. She was one of the few things I really liked about this episode. It's a shame she never appeared again (note to self...possible story line).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Yep. She was one of the few things I really liked about this episode. It's a shame she never appeared again (note to self...possible story line).

I liked her being different from his usual females! It gave some interest and spice to their relationship, and he DID seem to like it. Note: she said later when returning it "I like guns" and HE said "I don't.) Females can have elements of masculinity in their make up and males can have elements of femininity (without being lesbian or gay) and to me that makes them more complex and interesting. Definitely story line material and let me know when you write it ;)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

I liked her being different from his usual females! It gave some interest and spice to their relationship, and he DID seem to like it. Note: she said later when returning it "I like guns" and HE said "I don't.) Females can have elements of masculinity in their make up and males can have elements of femininity (without being lesbian or gay) and to me that makes them more complex and interesting. Definitely story line material and let me know when you write it ;)

It'll post here and end up on the fanfic guide if I do. No worries.

• Like 1

One more comment.....must be true what DJ said re dispensing with his underwear! I'll swear he never had a stitch on under those pants when he shot down the helicopter ;)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

“The Prodigal Son”: Aired originally as 2nd season’s 2hr premiere on 9/27/85. It was later re-aired as a special NBC Sunday night TV movie on 3/23/86 (original NBC promos for both below)! 

I love the second season even more than the first...but surprisingly enough this 2hr. season premiere was probably my least favorite of the season. :o

I know I’m probably in the minority with my thoughts and opinions on this episode...but, "The Prodigal Son" was just weird and bizarre, and I thought Crockett and Tubbs did some really stupid things that normally they wouldn't have. :evil:

I liked the idea that they had to go to Tubbs' old stomping grounds of New York--and I love Jan Hammer's "MV" New York theme! :radio: But, I did not want practically the whole episode to take place there! :rolleyes: This is my opinion, but New York is crowded, dirty, crammed together, and with no color--and tons of TV shows have used that city as the setting. A part at the beginning would have been enough and then they could've returned to Miami.

Also, the part where they discover Gina and other officers shot--I thought it was really goofy and very Charlie's Angels-like when Trudy got her gun out but continued to hold onto her fancy teal purse! :) In reality she'd of dropped that thing immediately and wouldn't have thought twice about it. Then half the time in New York you couldn't quite tell what was going on and to whom it was coming from or intended for?? It was confusing a lot of the time. ?( 

Then Crockett decides to "solo" it all over a strange city he doesn't know at all (yet he of course finds his way around with no problem) and ends up at some party where he meets some strange lady--that he lets take advantage of him and she steals his gun, no less! :eek: That was stupid and just didn't seem like Crockett--not that he didn't like the ladies...but putting himself in that situation in a strange place where he didn't know anyone or anything was just dumb!

Tubbs runs around whining about, and chasing after his whacked-out, old femme fatale, toxic girlfriend Valerie--who seems to have gone off the deep end. Then enter the scary-as-he** looking, evil ghost-minister from Poltergeist II bank manager (Julian Beck)--what was up with that..."troll" and his water?? He practically looked like he might get-it-on with his little glass of water while babbling about some figures and drug lords to Crockett and Tubbs. :p Whatever!! :sick: I think he thought he was still on the Poltergeist set...as he should have probably guest-starred in "Tale of the Goat" instead! ;) He would have fit in much better in that episode. 

Overall I just thought for a 2hr premiere it should have been better...it was just too weird and bizarre. Most of it left me asking...huh?? :radar: In my opinion it was not worthy of a 2hr episode...and could have been used later on as a regular 1hr “filler”. However, the beginning was really good, Gene Simmons’ character was cool & should have been brought back later in another/other episode/s, and the music was really awesome! 

Maybe I was too harsh originally, as I gave it a 4...but it could probably warrant a 5. Below are the original NBC promos for this episode...first is the season premiere for the fall of 85, then is the one for the NBC TV movie in the spring of 86.

10 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

(snipped) Then Crockett decides to "solo" it all over a strange city he doesn't know at all (yet he of course finds his way around with no problem) and ends up at some party where he meets some strange lady--that he lets take advantage of him and she steals his gun, no less! :eek: That was stupid and just didn't seem like Crockett--not that he didn't like the ladies...but putting himself in that situation in a strange place where he didn't know anyone or anything was just dumb!

Tubbs runs around whining about, and chasing after his whacked-out, old femme fatale, toxic girlfriend Valerie--who seems to have gone off the deep end. (snipped)

Yes, it was a very stylish episode and I still enjoy watching it, but you made some good points, especially both of the above!

My favorite part was the morning when Crockett is alone in the hotel room getting ready to head for the airport, not knowing if Tubbs was going to go back to Miami or not--but he himself is definitely ready.  He is so neat and organized--not really the way he usually appears.  Take me home!

Then, when Tubbs, looking unusually disheveled, runs all the way through the airport to the ticket counter and Crockett just looks at him, smiles and hands him his ticket.  :happy: 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vicegirl85 said:

Yes, it was a very stylish episode and I still enjoy watching it, but you made some good points, especially both of the above!

My favorite part was the morning when Crockett is alone in the hotel room getting ready to head for the airport, not knowing if Tubbs was going to go back to Miami or not--but he himself is definitely ready.  He is so neat and organized--not really the way he usually appears.  Take me home!

Then, when Tubbs, looking unusually disheveled, runs all the way through the airport to the ticket counter and Crockett just looks at him, smiles and hands him his ticket.  :happy: 

Very true...the end is really good, too. It’s like, ok...now we’re past all that & it’s back to Miami...with palm trees, pastels, art decos, Elvis, and Ferraris! :dance2: 

• Haha 2

(This post was incorrect of Jimmy’s car...corrected info in next post)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

Earlier above, I was incorrect about the pic I posted of one like Jimmy’s car...found a pic of the correct model...so reposting with accurate info, along with most of original post: Saw this on FB earlier...just like Jimmy’s car in this episode, that C&T drove while tailing the drug dealers around New York. Yellow 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible (not a Deville as originally posted).

Pretty “noticeable” car, even at night...probably not what you’d want to do surveillance in, in reality. But, it’s MV!! :dance2: 

03BB2255-8C39-4415-B9A6-92DC9D172554.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 5:25 PM, ViceFanMan said:

As for Dutch Oven...I would seriously hope my slang version was not what they were thinking of, lol :)...however, Trudy’s guy was a total fart!! He was her “Valerie” (referring back to Tubbs’ ridiculousness)

I think Trudy must have ended the relationship with her old boyfriend because of that 'dutch oven' :)

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I think Trudy must have ended the relationship with her old boyfriend because of that 'dutch oven' :)

Well, like I said...David was a total “fart”! :p

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Well, like I said...David was a total “fart”! :p

Hence, the episode title :) 

• Haha 1

This episode is a masterpiece imo. It's epic!

The reason I think some think that C&T are out of synch with their characters is because they are a fish out of water in this, they are totally out of their depth, out of their own field. Risks are what they survive on in this and they don't have Castillo to hold their hand or ask for advice. 

They went to NY trying their own luck and got lucky. 

This one is so good and the vibe is so unique and the music is sublime. 

My favourite episode. 11/10:)

• Like 4

On 3/17/2021 at 7:33 AM, wolfie1996 said:

Note: she said later when returning it "I like guns" and HE said "I don't.)

I think that, with that statement, she (Margaret) metaphorically implied she likes to emasculate male 'targets' like Sonny.  And the latter replying 'i don't' means he does not certainly like being emasculated or being in that predicament.

2 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

The reason I think some think that C&T are out of synch with their characters is because they are a fish out of water in this, they are totally out of their depth, out of their own field.

One would expect Tubbs knew his way in NY better....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

The reason I think some think that C&T are out of synch with their characters is because they are a fish out of water in this, they are totally out of their depth, out of their own field. Risks are what they survive on in this and they don't have Castillo to hold their hand or ask for advice. 

Tubbs shouldn't have been out of his depth, though. This was his town. He's from NYC, got his cop start here...you name it. Crockett, sure. But not Tubbs. I think they forgot that when they wrote parts of this. He may have been armed robbery from the Bronx, but his brother was narcotics and he'd still know one or two people, even if his antics had rendered him PNG with the NYPD.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

One would expect Tubbs knew his way in NY better....

I think it is mainly Sonny who acts out of character while Tubb's is to busy chasing Valerie.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Tubbs shouldn't have been out of his depth, though. This was his town. He's from NYC, got his cop start here...you name it. Crockett, sure. But not Tubbs. I think they forgot that when they wrote parts of this. He may have been armed robbery from the Bronx, but his brother was narcotics and he'd still know one or two people, even if his antics had rendered him PNG with the NYPD.

But do you think Rico got distracted by the fact that Valerie was involved? like he was conflicted. She threw the spanner in the works on him I think.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, Robbie C. said:

I guess my complaint was never really about Pam. It was more the character herself. Any time Valerie showed up I cringed. Tubbs deserved better.

You're right, of course. I wasn't complaining about Pam, the actress, I was just saying she was convincing in the part.

Valerie's callousness towards Tubbs was painful to watch. And yes, he certainly deserved better! 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 6:31 PM, wolfie1996 said:

The interesting thing about Margaret is that she takes the sort of masculine role with Crockett (as opposed to all his other female conquests). She's the one giving him the eye when they first meet, then claims the taxi under his nose and ends up pulling him into it for a kiss and you only have to look at a dishevelled Crockett standing artistically framed in the archway by the  bed , looking very fetching and implying they'd enjoyed a rough session (after which Margaret has sneaked way to make a secret phone call) see that for once he's been cast in the "feminine " role! Unusual and maybe even unique for him though he seems to enjoy it! It was  certainly different and a new slant on his tastes...

Wow, I never thought of this, wolfie! Interesting perspective! Margaret's one of my favorite characters in MV!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, wolfie1996 said:

One more comment.....must be true what DJ said re dispensing with his underwear! I'll swear he never had a stitch on under those pants when he shot down the helicopter ;)

True...  :clap:

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

But do you think Rico got distracted by the fact that Valerie was involved? like he was conflicted. She threw the spanner in the works on him I think.

Not totally. And it was, after all, his home turf. I think the production types just lost track of that. Already the focus was shifting to Sonny and we were dealing more with how HE saw New York than anything Tubbs might have brought to the table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Love what you said here, RedDragon! I've often said this was my favorite episode, along with OWTBDR and Evan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Not totally. And it was, after all, his home turf. I think the production types just lost track of that. Already the focus was shifting to Sonny and we were dealing more with how HE saw New York than anything Tubbs might have brought to the table.

Yes, by Season 2, Crockett was the focus. I'm sure the writers counted on the fans forgetting about Tubbs' origins. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1