Where to stay in Miami?

MVfan

What hotels would anyone recommend in Miami, based on staying on the beach? I've never been to Miami, but would like to go see some of the landmarks from the show.Also, when is the best time of year (or worst)?

I would recommend the Royal Palm on Collins Avenue. A terrific hotel that's not too expensive and it has the best location, right beside Ocean Drive and in walking distance of Lincoln Road.If you're staying in South Beach I'd also recommend the Courtyard Marriott on Washington Avenue. A very nice hotel. It's not on the beach but it's only a very short walk away from it.South Beach is where the action is but up around the Fontainebleau is also a very nice area with a great beach. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott on Collins Avenue there last December and had a wonderful stay. But that area is more quiet than South Beach and there aren't any shops or restaurants nearby. You'd need to drive or get a cab down to South Beach.The best time to go is during the non-rainy season, from September to May.They get quite a lot of rain during the summertime and it's also very humid that time of the year too. I went to Miami twice in the past year, December '07 and May '08, and we got no rain at all on either trip, which was awesome.Going to Miami for the first time is a religious experience. I hugely recommend a trip there

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope I get to go sometime. I was reading reviews of various hotels on TripAdvisor, and was seeing so many mixed reviews that I was really unsure of where to stay.Are the hotels that you mentioned close to any MV landmarks?

i've stayed at Essex House at 10th and collins and The Wave at 5th and ocean. i'd never stay at The Wave again, but The Essex was really nice with good service. also the Essex hotel looks nearly identical to The Senator (which has been torn down from 12th and collins) that appears on the "milk run" episode from season one. i stayed in the room right over the front entrance, kind of like where crockett and tubbs waited for the deal to go down at the end of "milk run" at The Senator. also, crockett waits at the Essex House bar for jack in season 5 ep "jack of all trades".

any hotels close to MV landmarks.Yes. The Courtyard Marriott on Collins Avenue is very close to the Definitely Miami hotel.See this site's location map:http://www.miami-vice.ws/index.php?area=vbcmsarea_content&contentid=8I was a bit worried about staying at the Royal Palm at first because it has bad reviews on Tripadvisor but they were completely unfounded. I couldn't be happier with my stay there and I'd stay there again. It's a great hotel that I wholeheartedly recommend.

i've stayed at Essex House at 10th and collins and The Wave at 5th and ocean. i'd never stay at The Wave again' date=' but The Essex was really nice with good service. also the Essex hotel looks nearly identical to The Senator (which has been torn down from 12th and collins) that appears on the "milk run" episode from season one. i stayed in the room right over the front entrance, kind of like where crockett and tubbs waited for the deal to go down at the end of "milk run" at The Senator. also, crockett waits at the Essex House bar for jack in season 5 ep "jack of all trades".[/quote']actually, crockett waits across the street from the Essex at the Fairmont. when the bullets start flying, crockett and jack hit the deck next to the Essex. sorry to get off subject here, but i went home to watch the dvd last night and i had to correct myself :)

• 4 years later...

the clay hotelhello, it's an old thread but I want to write me own personal idea.I was in miami for two times, Like all of us i love miami vice and the location.I booked "the clay hotel" in washington avenue and espanola way, because it was used as location for so much episodes. Cool running, borrasca the pilot and so many others.It's a cheap hotel, with clean double room not far away from collins avenue and lincoln road mall.It's a piece of Miami vice history, and next time I'll go there for sure!

hello' date=' it's an old thread but I want to write me own personal idea.I was in miami for two times, Like all of us i love miami vice and the location.I booked "the clay hotel" in washington avenue and espanola way, because it was used as location for so much episodes. Cool running, borrasca the pilot and so many others.It's a cheap hotel, with clean double room not far away from collins avenue and lincoln road mall.It's a piece of Miami vice history, and next time I'll go there for sure![/quote']Glad you had a good experience at the Clay. Friends did not stay there because they thought it would be noisy with all the people and parties on Espanola Way. Was it noisy?

Glad you had a good experience at the Clay. Friends did not stay there because they thought it would be noisy with all the people and parties on Espanola Way. Was it noisy?

Not overly noisy - a lot of parties and bars with youngsters in but I stayed there a few times and slept well:D

I've mentioned it before, if I were to stay in a hotel in Miami, it would be the Clevelander, hands down. For starters, it's on Ocean Drive and right in the middle of everything. They recently (within the past few years) did some serious upgrades, so gone is the "cheap motel" stigma. And a few scenes of various episodes of Miami Vice were shot right here, including the famous "beach girls" from the opening sequence. It's a great vantage point for people watching. The main thing at this place is be careful tipping, as it is included in your bill when you get it...

I've mentioned it before' date=' if I were to stay in a hotel in Miami, it would be the Clevelander, hands down. For starters, it's on Ocean Drive and right in the middle of everything. They recently (within the past few years) did some serious upgrades, so gone is the "cheap motel" stigma. And a few scenes of various episodes of Miami Vice were shot right here, including the famous "beach girls" from the opening sequence. It's a great vantage point for people watching. The main thing at this place is be careful tipping, as it is included in your bill when you get it...[/quote']I wonder if there are any holiday apartments reasonable you could stay for a few weeks:D

The clay hotel was not noisy, one time we get the room inside the court on the building on Washington avenue, last time we had the room in the middle esapanola way, right on segafredo bar.Very good!Im looking to rent an apartment for apartament for two week, anybody knows something?Bye

• 4 months later...

Is there anywhere you go to swim / like a club by the Ocean for the day without staying in the hotel ?:D

Well, you can try doing it "on the sly", as they say, but it really depends. At the Clevelander (right on Ocean across from the ocean), you can park at the pool on the ground floor and order something from one of their bars, just pay in cash. The Ritz Carlton (on the other hand) has extensive security and would know if you are staying there or not, so chances of using their pool for the day are less likely. There are many hotels in Miami where people have lunch and end up by the pool, it really depends how crowded it gets, etc.

Well' date=' you can try doing it "on the sly", as they say, but it really depends. At the Clevelander (right on Ocean across from the ocean), you can park at the pool on the ground floor and order something from one of their bars, just pay in cash. The Ritz Carlton (on the other hand) has extensive security and would know if you are staying there or not, so chances of using their pool for the day are less likely. There are many hotels in Miami where people have lunch and end up by the pool, it really depends how crowded it gets, etc.[/quote']Thanks I meant like a club where you can pay a daily charge to use a pool and have lunch also:D

Thanks I meant like a club where you can pay a daily charge to use a pool and have lunch also:D

I've heard the David Barton Gym at the The Perry Hotel is nice (high end). It's in SoBe and you can use the hotel pools. Lunch' date=' I'm not sure but would imagine the hotel might have something.Check it out here: David Barton Gym MiamiThe Hotel where the gym is located: The Perry Hotel

Is there anywhere you go to swim / like a club by the Ocean for the day without staying in the hotel ?:D

It may be possible to use Nikki Beach during the week (not weekends when it is very busy) as one hotel I was going to book earlier this year advertised the fact that I would be able to use the Nikki pool on weekdays as part of the package.The pool I've still to use is the Venetian pool at Coral Gables which is awesome - sadly I couldn't use it when I was there in October as the day I was in that area, the pool was hosting its annual dog & owner swimming day! It's at a distance from the sea but worth seeing.So many of the older hotels in South Beach are being turned into condo blocks (Carlyle, Kent etc) that it is getting harder to find moderate-rated hotels which aren't hostels with sharing bathrooms. This October I stayed in the Island House on Collins between 14th & 15th, just down from Jerry's Deli. Its an older property but comfortable enough, in a good location and the staff were very helpful & friendly. As an extra, they ran a valet parking service for the same cost as the local parking garage. Breakfast was included in the room cost. It's worth a look for anyone wanting something pretty reasonable but who isn't expecting the Ritz

Good contribution Caroline - thankyou :D

You're welcome, Matt. I'm jealous of people going out to Miami especially in this freezing UK weather. Hope you have a great time & be sure to let us see the pics when you return

• Administrators
The pool I've still to use is the Venetian pool at Coral Gables which is awesome - sadly I couldn't use it when I was there in October as the day I was in that area' date=' the pool was hosting its annual dog & owner swimming day! It's at a distance from the sea but worth seeing.[/quote']Venetian Pools are very cool. We went there in 2006 and it was a great day. A little sandy "beach" and swimming in the old coral stone quarry with it's waterfalls was great. One thing if you're going there: they don't accept credit cards. Cash only!And it's close to the Biltmore Hotel so you can do a little MV-Sightseeing :)

Venetian Pools are very cool. We went there in 2006 and it was a great day. A little sandy "beach" and swimming in the old coral stone quarry with it's waterfalls was great. One thing if you're going there: they don't accept credit cards. Cash only!And it's close to the Biltmore Hotel so you can do a little MV-Sightseeing :)

I stopped by the Venetian pools and the Biltmore: I deliberately visited on a Sunday because there are three free tours of the hotel on a Sunday. It was an hour long tour with an interesting guide so I got some good pics. Sadly the Al Capone suite was occupied so we couldn't go up there. I also combined my day in Coral Gables/Coconut Grove with two and a half hours in Vizcaya and another trip to the Coconut Grove base of Burn Notice.

Off to Miami late Feb - after the Boat Show finishes on the 18th Feb and before Music conference starts 14th March there are some good deals on mid week :-):D

Off to Miami late Feb - after the Boat Show finishes on the 18th Feb and before Music conference starts 14th March there are some good deals on mid week :-):D

Matt,I'm always looking for good mid-week deals in Miami. I don't normally stay as long as you plan to stay but the deals might still be helpful. Please let me know what you have found. Send by PM if you like. Thanks,