Nobody Lives Forever

Joe

This is really funny! I have just checked the Polish subtitles on my 100% legal DVD (usually I prefer to watch MV without subtitles as I find it more challenging and I never download movies):- Chcesz iść na ryby?- Wolę się przejść.In English it goes like this:- Would you like to go fishing?- I'd rather go strolling. (!!!)
It IS funny.The discs I own' date=' look this way[img']http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/SSGAMES/671282_01.JPGThere are subtitles ONLY for the first season (and of course they are not Russian). When I was talking about translation, I was talking about the translation made on TV when the show was first shown in my country

I think that the second meaning' date=' I would rather go strolling makes more sense myself.[/quote'] I agree, but... aren't subtitles an official thing? :confused:

Now you got me puzzled, pals. I've always thought that final line was "strolling" and that would make sense to me but apparently it was "trolling". What is the meaning of that verbal exchange, then, where's the pun? Plain fishing compared to angling with a bait - and look who's talking, Rico, the vegetarian! I mentioned that my DVDs are legal to emphasize the fact that also the Polish subtitles (that's the only version I have) are supposed to be of a better quality than those you may often find in movies downloaded from the Internet. In general, I think the lady translator did a good job - I watched the entire show with subtitles first. I can't remember the Polish translation which was used in 1990 when the show was first aired on our TV (apparently only the 1st and 2nd series!) as living away from home, I didn't watch it on a regular basis then.

:DMaybe, Rico is rather bad in trolling and therefore, more fishes got the chance to escape. It could be the reason why Sonny finds it funny.

Now you got me puzzled' date=' pals ... and look who's talking, Rico, the vegetarian! [/quote']:thumbsup:
I mentioned that my DVDs are legal .
This is an idea! When I have time, I'll have a look at the menu to the DVD. There are 10 (may be more) languages avaliable (no Russian ;)) so I may have a look at subtitles too

• 4 years later...

Watched this episode once more yesterday night. Great stuff! It has also one of the IMHO best examples of Don Johnson's fine acting skills....that look on his face when he overslept and opens the door to find his beaten up partner standing there...shock confusion, guilt, shame, regret, apology - all in just one look!

you need to remind yourself that he probably wasn't looking at PMT at that moment but rather standing directly in front of the camera, delivering the emotions on command....

Nobody-Lives-Forever-miami-vice-28475170

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just watched this episode just now, after not seeing it for about 3 or 4 years. My take of the episode is just like the first time I saw it, is that I still don't like it. Here is why: the story is very weak. I don't care the least bit of the sub plot of the three wackos committing crime after crime. They are so sloppy with their crimes and they leave so much evidence behind, that the police, would be on them almost instantly and that would be the end of that. I think it would've been better if the wackos we're professional killers who leave very little evidence behind, than that would throw the Vice squad more of loop to try to solve this case and bring a little more realism into the episode. 

Second: I don't like the romantic plot behind Crockett and Brenda. It takes up way too much of the episode, because the second sub plot of the wackos is very weak. When I see romance in Vice I want to see it go somewhere. Crockett's romance with Brenda goes nowhere.

Third: Tubb's jealousy and constant poking around with Crockett's romance, makes Tubbs not only annoying, but insecure. Who is he to but in Crockett's affairs? Its none of his business. He should just be happy for Crockett and let things play out.