Miami Vice: "The Complete Collection"

Ferrariman

2 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Wow that’s a huge drop- yikes.. hopefully we may see this on vinyl next :hippie:

Yeah, the CDs were going for ridiculous money just before the digital version cropped up. I manged to grab one for about £25 years back, so it had really shot up in price in the intervening period.

Edited by Leigh Burne

26 minutes ago, Leigh Burne said:

Yeah, the CDs were going for ridiculous money just before the digital version cropped up. I manged to grab one for about £25 years back, so it had really shot up in price in the intervening period.

So you had two copies one at £25 and then one at £200?!

:hippie:

16 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

So you had two copies one at £25 and then one at £200?!

:hippie:

No, just the one. But when I checked later on I saw them going for that much on Amazon and eBay and the like. They're not selling for anything like that much now the digital version is so easily available.

19 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

No, just the one. But when I checked later on I saw them going for that much on Amazon and eBay and the like. They're not selling for anything like that much now the digital version is so easily available.

Oh I see - yes the well priced digital release will keep those prices down. I remember I got mine in the Summer of 2002 from Amazon.com when it was released - that was a happy day :hippie:

16 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Hard to beat autographed liner notes though  :p

I wonder with the resurgence of vinyl - if we will see a vinyl release of this album.

I see on amazon.com the original Miami Vice soundtrack album released in the fall of 1985 has been rereleased in last few years on vinyl with slightly different artwork and cleaned up picture.:hippie:

29 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I wonder with the resurgence of vinyl - if we will see a vinyl release of this album.

I wouldn't have thought that likely. Given that the CD was obviously pressed in quite limited numbers and digital is now the only real way to get it, I'd suspect they've decided there wouldn't be a big enough market for a vinyl release, if they ever even considered it at all.

Probably the same reason we never got that Tim Truman release.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Leigh Burne said:

I was actually in contact with Tim Truman a few years back via e-mail. He kept promising that a release was in the works but nothing ever happened. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I was actually in contact with Tim Truman a few years back via e-mail. He kept promising that a release was in the works but nothing ever happened. 

Yeah, I followed the news about it on here, but looks like it all fell through.

Big shame. It's probably the rock kid in me, but I'm actually a massive fan of his season 5 work. Really gave the show a darker, grittier feel. The three songs he penned were pretty great too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I’ve recently rewatched season 5 with greater respect for his work. I would love to have a CD. 

Me too -I loved his work on Season 5 it fitted the burnt out - rougher image of Season 5 and our heros. There was nothing light and fluffy about Season 5 - the show went full circle that’s why I respect it and always will :hippie:

5 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I could drop him a message if you want, see if there is any updates:hippie:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

I wouldn't have thought that likely. Given that the CD was obviously pressed in quite limited numbers and digital is now the only real way to get it, I'd suspect they've decided there wouldn't be a big enough market for a vinyl release, if they ever even considered it at all.

I think you’re right about the JH vinyl release :hippie:

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

I think you’re right about the JH vinyl release :hippie:

I agree. Jan is not a nostalgic person, to say the least. However, that kind of “forward thinking” is what forged the soundtrack we all know and love. 

9 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I agree. Jan is not a nostalgic person, to say the least. However, that kind of “forward thinking” is what forged the soundtrack we all know and love. 

I think costs and revenue are a big factor - what some of profits would a vinyl release bring in ? I would think quite low if the Cd of "The Complete Collection" didn't sell well.

With a new Miami Vice series being made and rebooted next year - I wonder if JH and his manager have had a discussion about some of his Miami Vice work and a release of some kind?

11 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

7 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I’ve recently rewatched season 5 with greater respect for his work. I would love to have a CD. 

I would also love a Tim Truman release and one can only dream at this point to have some sort of collaboration between him and JH to make some sort of album containing the score soundtracks of all five seasons, including more unreleased scores from the first four seasons from JH, to have the "Ultimate MV Collection". :thumbsup:

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

With a new Miami Vice series being made and rebooted next year - I wonder if JH and his manager have had a discussion about some of his Miami Vice work and a release of some kind?

I've been wondering the same thing. The Complete Collection releasing around the time of the movie was no coincidence. My biggest fear is he would release something previously unreleased with new instruments added (like on some of the CC tracks). I’m sure that’s great for some, or even most, but try and imagine how I feel about it and why. :)

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

I seriously doubt we'll ever see a vinyl release. Jan's manager once told me that the "Complete Collection" was far from a financial success.  Not for lack of popularity, but because it catered to a very small fan base.  The project became even more difficult because the music is owned by Universal and to release these tracks Jan actually had to re-record many of them. You will notice that many of the tracks had subtle changes to them. This was necessary if they were to be released.  So we really have to thank Jan for going above and beyond for his fans!

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 4/19/2018 at 7:52 PM, Dadrian said:

My biggest fear is he would release something previously unreleased with new instruments added (like on some of the CC tracks). I’m sure that’s great for some, or even most, but try and imagine how I feel about it and why. :)

I personally hate the fact that he released "Theresa" which is just the score from "Nobody Lives Forever" with added keyboards.   This is also why I'm so thankful that you covered "Brenda"!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I personally hate the fact that he released "Theresa" which is just the score from "Nobody Lives Forever" with added keyboards.   This is also why I'm so thankful that you covered "Brenda"!

“Brenda” is great! :hippie:

Edited by Matt5

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, Dadrian said:

I've been wondering the same thing. The Complete Collection releasing around the time of the movie was no coincidence. My biggest fear is he would release something previously unreleased with new instruments added (like on some of the CC tracks). I’m sure that’s great for some, or even most, but try and imagine how I feel about it and why. :)

18 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I agree. JH should re-record and release the track(s) just like they were before in the 80s, same instrumentals and all. If not, then what is he doing for? ?( :thumbsdown: I mean I don't mind him experimenting with the tracks, but still he should make and release them the same way they were before, at least for us fans.

Edited by Retro80sfan

I read on wikipedia ( I know far from the gospel) that in a 2012 interview Jan Hammer stated he was working on an unreleased collection of music? 

It also states on wikipedia ( and this is correct, as Ive seen in multiple sources) than JH was not approached at all by Michael Mann when they did the big screen 2006 Miami Vice movie.

My real hope is someone like Intrada or La-La Land Records can convince Universal to give them the score music rights, as their soundtrack releases are never anything less than stellar and highly exhaustive.

La-La Land in particular has a good track record with doing TV scores.

On 22/04/2018 at 11:06 AM, Matt5 said:

It also states on wikipedia ( and this is correct, as Ive seen in multiple sources) than JH was not approached at all by Michael Mann when they did the big screen 2006 Miami Vice movie.

No, he wasn't. I imagine that might be whey he did that updated version of "Crockett's Theme" with TQ around the time the film was being made, as a kind of protest. It even used the same logo style for the song title on the artwork as the film did :D

album21.jpg

Edited by Leigh Burne