Miami Vice: "The Complete Collection"

Ferrariman

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Not Vice music though :(

I'll take anything the man gives us!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Yes! "Miami Nights"   I've read that the song was inspired by the way the streets were wet down for night filming.

3 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Yes! "Miami Nights"   I've read that the song was inspired by the way the streets were wet down for night filming.

Yes that’s what it said. It made me think of when they talk to Hector in the street on “Free Verse” (same alley as Testarossa under the tractor trailer haha). 

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Yes that’s what it said. It made me think of when they talk to Hector in the street on “Free Verse” (same alley as Testarossa under the tractor trailer haha). 

Love it - of course filmed at the rear of Lincoln Road, Miami Beach in the 600 block just off Meridian Crt.

Edited by Matt5

• 3 weeks later...

A new version of this collection is on Spotify. It has tracks on it that are not on the original, like South Beach, Little Havana, The Kick. But also loads that was on the two disc 42 track original that is not on this 32 track release. Check it out here. No sign of a physical release that I can see.

Interesting.

Are the new tracks actually from Vice? "South Beach" was an exclusive bonus track on the previous digital release, but it was never actually used in the show, as far as I'm aware.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Leigh Burne said:

"South Beach" was an exclusive bonus track on the previous digital release, but it was never actually used in the show, as far as I'm aware.

You are correct!  Neither was "Little Havana" or "The Kick"

• 3 months later...

Question time! 

If Jan re-recorded some of the songs for the complete collection or added stuff to it doesn't that mean he had to use all the original instruments and gear? Rockman and all? Or did he just mix around with his original multitracks?

In the linked interview Jan says about the new album and his MV music: “I really had these residual feelings of unfinished business”". How so? I mean it was his choice to pretty much quit after Season 3, was it not? And it's been mentioned on the forum numerous times that Jan isn't nostalgic. So this seems like a contradiction.

Last but not least: Was that TQ realease of Crockett's Theme actually a hit? How high did it chart?

4 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

If Jan re-recorded some of the songs for the complete collection or added stuff to it doesn't that mean he had to use all the original instruments and gear? Rockman and all? Or did he just mix around with his original multitracks?

I know in one interview at the release of the CC he said something about firing the Memorymoog back up, and how it still had all the same woes. So I guess there was some re-recording on something. He said he used Line 6 PODs (or amp farm?) and his Triton with MOSS on some songs. It’s very obvious where this is going on (like on Candy for example) because it totally ruins the the feel of the songs on which they are featured (for me). 

There were a few previously unreleased  tunes on the CC he didn’t add new sounds to (like El Viejo cues and Russian Story) that I have always enjoyed. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I know in one interview at the release of the CC he said something about firing the Memorymoog back up, and how it still had all the same woes. So I guess there was some re-recording on something. He said he used Line 6 PODs (or amp farm?) and his Triton with MOSS on some songs. It’s very obvious where this is going on (like on Candy for example) because it totally ruins the the feel of the songs on which they are featured (for me). 

There were a few previously unreleased  tunes on the CC he didn’t add new sounds to (like El Viejo cues and Russian Story) that I have always enjoyed. 

Interesting Dadrian thankyou

42 minutes ago, Leigh Burne said:

Why exactly were so many of the tracks altered from their original recordings? It was a legal thing, wasn't it?

I think if it was a legal thing, all of the tracks would have to be altered, right?

According to Jan, all of the cues belong to Universal, so he has to have their blessing to do anything with any of them. I think he just added things where he thought there needed to be something else. Plus, he wanted to use his (then) new to him gear. 

• Administrators

As far as I know all of the tracks had to be re-recorded to avoid any problems with Universal (who does own the music)  Why some sound slightly different and others sound exactly the same is beyond me. 

• Like 1

Maybe it could be that those tracks encountered the same problems as the theme in the first few S1 episodes. Of how it was not how JH originally recorded it and/or intended for it to be heard. Probably some of the tracks simply got the "Calderone's Return (Part 2) treatment". :p

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 22.9.2018 um 15:30 schrieb Matt5:

Interesting Dadrian thankyou

Very interesting indeed. I never noticed that about Candy or any of the other songs. I will pay closer attention next time I listen. Dadrian, do you know if Jan's 80s synths still work nowadays? I know a used MemoryMoog or Jupiter 8 goes for like 10 - 15.000 on eBay. But that's probably only if they had a lot of good maintenance.
On that note - does your Rockman still work well, Dadrian? I'm asking because it is said that they usually stop working or lose something after 25-30 years or so. At least the capacitors supposedely do and need replacement. There's even a repair guy with a website that offers that service. But if it is not the original capacitors the sound may become slightly different. (But still good!) Not sure if that's true so generally speaking, I bet a lot depends on what room conditions the Rockman is stored in (humidity, temperature, light etc). And how often it was used of course. 

Probably some of the tracks simply got the "Calderone's Return (Part 2) treatment". :p

What exactly do you mean by that, Retro80sfan?

59 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

What exactly do you mean by that, Retro80sfan?

I was just simply referring to that episode marking the major permanent change in how the theme sounds and that the same thing must have happened again with the other JH scores.

2 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

Dadrian, do you know if Jan's 80s synths still work nowadays? I know a used MemoryMoog or Jupiter 8 goes for like 10 - 15.000 on eBay. But that's probably only if they had a lot of good maintenance.
On that note - does your Rockman still work well, Dadrian? I'm asking because it is said that they usually stop working or lose something after 25-30 years or so. At least the capacitors supposedely do and need replacement. There's even a repair guy with a website that offers that service. But if it is not the original capacitors the sound may become slightly different. (But still good!) Not sure if that's true so generally speaking, I bet a lot depends on what room conditions the Rockman is stored in (humidity, temperature, light etc). And how often it was used of course. 

I know one of Jan’s Memorymoogs doesn’t work anymore. He has two. I’m sure both of them need service, as does mine, but it still sounds great to me. :p

As for the Rockman stuff, I’ve had a Distortion Generator, a Stereo Echo, and I now own a Sustainor, Stereo Chorus/Delay, and an X100 with the Rockmount. 

*knock on wood

None of them have ever given me any issues, so I can’t say about before-and-after sounds on repairs. I can get you in contact with the person that Boston actually gets their Rockman parts and service from if you need something, though. He’s really incredible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retro80sfan said:

I was just simply referring to that episode marking the major permanent change in how the theme sounds and that the same thing must have happened again with the other JH scores.

Wasn't it said somewhere that the previous version of the theme (used in the first few episodes) was simply mixed incorrectly, hence why it's missing the synth guitar hook?