Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Am 11.3.2020 um 22:04 schrieb airtommy:

https://www.miamiandbeaches.com/Miami/media/Guides/miami-heritage-guide.pdf

I can't think of which episode this might have been.  We haven't found Caroline's house in "To Have and To Hold" yet.

You can see photos here:  https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5928-NE-6th-Ct_Miami_FL_33137_M64482-27688

Haven’t seen this house in no episode either, it does not even look remotely similar to any unknown location. 
During my research I have also come across some books and articles with a house that allegedly „appeared in many episodes of Miami Vice“. I also remember articles saying that Mohammed Ali Has wrapped up filming as a guest star. That’s just bad journalism to bring some unconfirmed information just because something sounds or looks reasonable or simply wishful thinking.

• Like 1

I found this exact location a year ago opposite the Carriage House condo at 5401 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach. But now I cannot remember the episode we see it ? Anybody remember. :cheers:

710E7647-1FBC-4780-AF16-31C4BD399ED4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

This still comes from "Blood and Roses".

Oh wow. I was gonna guess that, but thought it was too obvious. 

• 1 month later...

Time to do a missing location status folks!

I counted still 30 unknown locations in all five season’s episodes, approx a dozen of which are major locations (eg houses that have significant scenes) like 

the party house in Rites of passage 

the racetrack in One way ticket

the Espinoza house in Duty and Honor

Crocketts /Caitlin’s new house in Rising sun of death

the Video dating club in Love at first sight

the Cook house in Blood and roses 

the teaser house in Deliver us from evil

Burnett’s house in Redemption in blood (a very mysterious one despite very unique clues like broad waterway and exterior spiral stairs!)

Ross home in Miami squeeze

Ritas house and Lombard home in World of Trouble

Yvonnes house in Too much too late

All of these are still unsolved and deserve a concentrated effort (I did a lot of searching the last few weeks but to no avail), don’t you think?

we had great success in tackling locations together years ago (I especially remember how many people helped to track down the Ramrod Motel in Streetwise!). Why not trying it again together in a systematic way (eg define a sketch what exactly we look for and split it up area- and detectivewise?)?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tom said:

Teasers for "Forgive Us Our Debts" and "Deliver Us From Evil" are the same, and that location has been identified by airtommy:

vor 1 Minute schrieb daytona365:

Teasers for "Forgive Us Our Debts" and "Deliver Us From Evil" are the same, and that location has been identified by airtommy:

Not the repetitive part of teaser with the old storyline to catch up, but the new storyline part of the DUFE teaser where the whole family is murdered and that´s a house still unknown...!

25 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not the repetitive part of teaser with the old storyline to catch up, but the new storyline part of the DUFE teaser where the whole family is murdered and that´s a house still unknown...!

thanks for the clarification!

vor 2 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

I am amazed that we haven't found Burnett's house.

I have done another scrutiny of the scene and a new search but nothing despite some unique clues (the staircase, a long parallel high greenery coast across an approx 200-400m wide canal or waterway, a pool, a jaded edge of the buildings corner, unique columns, ...). There are simply no areas in whole Greater Miami with such a canal ...

Am 12.5.2020 um 12:37 schrieb Tom:

I counted still 30 unknown locations in all five season’s episodes, approx a dozen of which are major locations (eg houses that have significant scenes) like 

the party house in Rites of passage FOUND

Crocketts /Caitlin’s new house in Rising sun of death

Burnett’s house in Redemption in blood (a very mysterious one despite very unique clues like broad waterway and exterior spiral stairs!)

All of these are still unsolved and deserve a concentrated effort (I did a lot of searching the last few weeks but to no avail), don’t you think?

we had great success in tackling locations together years ago (I especially remember how many people helped to track down the Ramrod Motel in Streetwise!). Why not trying it again together in a systematic way (eg define a sketch what exactly we look for and split it up area- and detectivewise?)?

Sorry to bother, but we can take the Party house from Rites of passage from our search list. I just found it. Details are in the respective episode location thread!

update: I found the consulate in Rites of passage as well. We are down from 32 to 30 unknown locations altogether if my count is correct.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Am 12.5.2020 um 12:37 schrieb Tom:

the party house in Rites of passage FOUND

Crocketts /Caitlin’s new house in Rising sun of death FOUND

I know it´s a bit embarassing as I just posted the missing locations list myself a few days ago, but another location is off the list - I found Crockett´s and Caitlin´s house in "Rising sun of death". Details is in the episode thread.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom is Faber’s horse farm still on the list from “One Way Ticket”?

Yes.

I have extensively searched for it last week from South Miami up to Palm Beach. All kinds of horse related spots I found and checked. Most of them are logically on the edge to the Everglades. One should assume that such a big area with practice track, stables and large vegetation around is easy to find but no luck. Meanwhile I suspect that this farm or equestrian club has been shut down and replaced.

This Sunrise Harbor house puzzles me. It has a couple of features which veeeery closely resemble Burnett's house in "Redemption In Blood"....it's on the water, it has tlayout, front windows etc.... So I thought, maybe it was remodelled, but the ad says it was built in 1991. I could imagine though that it's from the same designer as the house that we are looking for.   https://www.estately.com/listings/info/6946-sunrise-court

Sunset_1.thumb.jpg.af42a8882d9c570aa6b5a40358c2fb73.jpg

sunrise_3.thumb.jpg.4dce48ffe56e1f7bf0f5e8f670a9b3a5.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb daytona365:

This Sunrise Harbor house puzzles me. It has a couple of features which veeeery closely resemble Burnett's house in "Redemption In Blood"....it's on the water, it has tlayout, front windows etc.... So I thought, maybe it was remodelled, but the ad says it was built in 1991. I could imagine though that it's from the same designer as the house that we are looking for.   https://www.estately.com/listings/info/6946-sunrise-court

sunrise_3.thumb.jpg.4dce48ffe56e1f7bf0f5e8f670a9b3a5.jpg

That´s a really good contribution, but it is unfortunately a false positive find ....

Of course,  I have checked this house as well before and dumped it.

I agree that this house is similar in style (vertical standalone pillars, guiderails, white flat structure and waterfront) and might be from the same architect (thanks for the bull´s eye that even I did not recognize in the episode!) but it is not it and the 1991 build date is the least problem. First, the spiral staircase is at the wrong side (in RIB it is on the corner of the waterfront side) as are other details (the pool shape, the exact location of pool, the diagonal shape on one side of waterfront is missing) and much worse: The location is wrong or better said impossible to fit. The most decisive clue in the episode is the open view on green, uninterrupted land with high vegetation on the other side of the waterway and the width of the waterway. The first aspect might have changed (lot of property development) but not the latter. The waterway in the episode is hard to estimate (tricky thing with zoom angles and film lenses!) - I would say 100s of meters, maybe 300-400m - but it is for sure lot more than 70m (scale by Google) as the waterway of this house and therefore the land is much too close. In other words, there is not a single place in Greater Miami fulfilling this waterway width/long open view situation.

I am attaching my sketch of the house as I see it in RIB. Maybe that helps to clarify what I mean. Historic aerials proves that 1986 there was no house there.

At the far right end of the land we can see in this episode the green vegetation is unexplainably high and there seems to be a tower or antenna. 

I would be happy to find at first a place that fulfills all the surrounding criteria and if there is I haven´t found it yet. 

IMG_9186 2.JPG

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 16.43.28.png

Edited by Tom

1 hour ago, Tom said:

That´s a really good contribution, but it is unfortunately a false positive find ....

Of course,  I have checked this house as well before and dumped it.

I agree that this house is similar in style (vertical standalone pillars, guiderails, white flat structure and waterfront) and might be from the same architect (thanks for the bull´s eye that even I did not recognize in the episode!) but it is not it and the 1991 build date is the least problem. First, the spiral staircase is at the wrong side (in RIB it is on the corner of the waterfront side) as are other details (the pool shape, the exact location of pool, the diagonal shape on one side of waterfront is missing) and much worse: The location is wrong or better said impossible to fit. The most decisive clue in the episode is the open view on green, uninterrupted land with high vegetation on the other side of the waterway and the width of the waterway. The first aspect might have changed (lot of property development) but not the latter. The waterway in the episode is hard to estimate (tricky thing with zoom angles and film lenses!) - I would say 100s of meters, maybe 300-400m - but it is for sure lot more than 70m (scale by Google) as the waterway of this house and therefore the land is much too close. In other words, there is not a single place in Greater Miami fulfilling this waterway width/long open view situation.

I am attaching my sketch of the house as I see it in RIB. Maybe that helps to clarify what I mean. Historic aerials proves that 1986 there was no house there.

At the far right end of the land we can see in this episode the green vegetation is unexplainably high and there seems to be a tower or antenna. 

I would be happy to find at first a place that fulfills all the surrounding criteria and if there is I haven´t found it yet. 

IMG_9186 2.JPG

well, I didn't falsely identify it as the house, I said it has similarities....a few remarks to your sketch:

the stretch of land on the other side of the waterway is not uninterupted IMO. There are structures, the one to the right could be a marina:

RIB3.thumb.jpg.f9a41a906a498dd155351b63358e2745.jpg

The land on the other side does not extend much farther to the right, there is a tip of land and right behind El Gato it looks like open water. This could be a hint to the location.

RIB1.thumb.jpg.b061104900abd6e7e202ff142b167165.jpg

There is a balcony also on the other side of the house:

RIB2.thumb.jpg.47b4a1a768ba62682f0c4ebfc7c6920b.jpg

The pool is not rectancular, it's more of a trapezoid shape:

RIB4.jpg.5dd0fbefee3d4fe8db2b5dcfcb0358dc.jpg

Edited by daytona365

vor 4 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

well, I didn't falsely identify it as the house, I said it has similarities....a few remarks to your sketch:

the stretch of land on the other side of the waterway is not uninterupted IMO. There are structures, the one to the right could be a marina:

RIB3.thumb.jpg.f9a41a906a498dd155351b63358e2745.jpg

The land on the other side does not extend much farther to the right, there is a tip of land and behind El Gato it looks like open ocean. This could be a hint to the location.

RIB1.thumb.jpg.b061104900abd6e7e202ff142b167165.jpg

There is a balcony also on the other side of the house:

RIB2.thumb.jpg.47b4a1a768ba62682f0c4ebfc7c6920b.jpg

The pool is not rectancular, it's more of a trapezoid shape:

RIB4.jpg.5dd0fbefee3d4fe8db2b5dcfcb0358dc.jpg

Well, I said the house is a false positive which it is, not more and not less.

I was aware of the pool edges (there is an indication in my sketch), but I never saw the marina in the background and in your still the opposite land looks much closer, very interesting, thanks for the accurate stills (I did my sketch with my mobile, maybe that´s why i missed something). The tip of land is indeed an important clue.

This gives a bit of hope that we can find it. I´ll check into it once more. What is still mysterious - the opposite land is quite long and straight - interrupted or not - and this excludes most houses in Greater Miami where opposite land is either full of houses or very short and green but not both.

I think there are two more important clues:

the opposite land seems to be very long and there is a kind of tower in the scene with Celeste. She is standing in front of the open door which wee see in your first picture, which places this tower(?) most likely above or on the right side of the marina or these other houses visible (?) 

And I forgot to mention: on the other side of the house (in my sketch I have marked greenery, you have spotted the guiderail), there is definitely vegetation which means the house is most likely not on the tip of an island with waterfront on three sides of it, but rather neighboring houses or at least bushes in between.

But with this new clues and an updated sketch we might have more luck now...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 18.43.36.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 18.47.52.png

Edited by Tom

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 18.47.52.png

While I agree that there is greenery also on the sided of the house, I think what you have marked in the red rectangle is the opposite side of the waterway. the greenery next to the house appears half a second later to the left

RIB5.thumb.jpg.b1f5de0299c768e76f457888c3bbeeca.jpg

Edited by daytona365

vor 21 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

While I agree that there is greenery also on the sided of the house, I think what you have marked in the red rectangle is the opposite side of the waterway. the greenery next to the house appears half a second later to the left

RIB5.thumb.jpg.b1f5de0299c768e76f457888c3bbeeca.jpg

yes of course, in this picture with the rectangle only the land across is marked. The greenery next to the house is on the other picture that you posted with the guiderail.

This is a tough one though it seems it should not be. Spent an hour or so looking when I first did the episode on my site with clearly no luck. Just spent about 1.5 hours, still no luck. A mystery. Did have a close call, see attached photos but not it.

2020-05-20_0-05-12.png

2020-05-20_0-06-30.png