Is it just me or do you have no desire to watch the movie MV?

whitney88

I know the movie is a few years old now, but I came across it today on TV. I never and still have no desire to watch the movie. I can't imagine somebody esle play Sonny and Tubbs. I remember when I first heard about Mann making the movie, I was upset. I hate remakes, especially classics. I'm still hoping for the original cast to come together and make a movie! It would be nice to see DJ in his white jacket and Ray Bans again :happy:

When I´d heard that Mann wanted to do a remake I also hopd that he would do it with the same crew. As he hadn´t done it, I refused watching it for some years. I would never have paid money to watch it in the cinema. My oldest daughter had watched it and she told me that it, in her opinion, was nothing more than a thriller that, actually, had nothing to do with Vice, except of the names of the actors.Then, it appeared on tv and I thought, OK, watch it. My daughter was right.If someone is keen on watching just a thriller without thinking about Rico and Sonny as we know them, the movie might be OK, but I never watch it again.

Well... when the movie started in theatres I eagerly went to see it, but expecting not to like it. :rolleyes: It appeared that I actually liked it more than I expected - just like Christine said, the movie was ok, if you don't compare it to the show, to the original cast and stuff. I even liked the love story... coudn't help thinking how it would look like with DJ playing Sonny instead of C.Farrel, though. :o (Of course I still don't get why the hell the Cuban girl had to be played a Chinese actress... :confused: but that's another topic). Hard to believe, but I even bought it on DVD later (but it was a cheap DVD... :p), to see in English. So I've seen it two times in total. I still can't explain to myself why I was attracted to the movie in the first place... probably because anything concerning Miami Vice seem to have some magic in it to me... but of course it can't be compared with the show, and for me DJ and PMT are the only Crockett and Tubbs. I think Michael Mann might realize his idea in a more interesting way, making a connection to the original show, but not necessary with the original main characters... but I guess I said this somewhere already, so I'm not going to bore you folks with my ideas again. LOL

Michael Mann should have done the movie right after the series ended with Don, Philip, and EJO. Would have been amazing. Why didn't he do that?

• Administrators

How ironic this thread popped up today. I just turned on the TV and USA was playing MV the Movie and I watched parts of it on and off and I kept thinking how awful this movie really was.Mann did a disgrace to the TV series. :thumbsdown::evil:Remakes hardly ever turn out well and this one a prime example of why remakes should not be done!

Michael Mann should have done the movie right after the series ended with Don' date=' Philip, and EJO. Would have been amazing. Why didn't he do that?[/quote'] Because Mr. Mann is not soooooooooo genius as people use to say...Someone time ago said he did good movies, but he has a good score of bad movies too.Colin and Jammie had much more charisma when the were interviewed and talked about the movie than on the movie. You could even think they could be reasonable as Crockett and Tubbs in that crap. But Mann preferred to direct them as doors.I dont know why he decided to explode the franchise this way.When such post appears from time to time...its like a grenade temptation for me. I cant resist to pull the pin and bark about. But i wont repeat myself to much again.

I've never watched it. I recorded it off of HBO a few years ago, but never watched it.I even had a chance to get the DVD for $6.99 and bought something else instead.

I saw it at the movies when it first came out. It was terrible, too dark for one thing and I couldn't understand much of the dialogue. The best thing about it was the oriental actress, she was cute.

But Trudy´s role was played in an irritating way, I think. Most of the time, she only stood around, saying nothing. In the series, Trudy has never been a woman who kept quiet.

I believe the 2006 movie is a very good example how to mess up a remake.It had no magic like the original Miami Vice. And Collin Farrell as Sonny?He even isn't american! Question to our english-natives: Was his accent sounding like a southern U.S. type?As I said it in other Threads before:In my opinion no one but DJ can ever be Sonny Crockett, cause he IS Sonny Crockett.Other actors can just PLAY Sonny.Same one with PMT,EJO of course...

In my opinion no one but DJ can ever be Sonny Crockett' date=' cause he IS Sonny Crockett[/size'].Other actors can just PLAY Sonny.Same one with PMT,EJO of course...

Well...most remakes sux...but few ones saves the target...the new Star Trek is freaking amazing!Miami Vice wouldnt sux if they had used the old cast...But they tried to recreate the wheel...Let´s stop that bull**** saying they are older now. Ok, but if Frank Miller made Batman older in that great comic book series "The Dark Knight Returns", there is lots of space in creativity for Miami Vice...But personally i think, this movie exploded Miami Vice in such way, no one will try to reboot this series.

Far as visual style, it was signature Mann.Everything else was the problem, the main one being casting.Had no issue with actors other than DJ AND PMT playing the leads.Since this was a reboot, with the posibility of sequels.But Farrell and Jamie Foxx were terrible choices.The supporting crew were nothing more than human wallpaper.As for Castillo, Olmos was asked to reprise the role and said no.But there are several equally intense latin actors who could've stepped in and did it.Bubba Shenaka Henley was another WTF? choice by Mann. However I did like John Hawkes, Tom Towles and John Ortiz in their small roles.

Michael Mann should have done the movie right after the series ended with Don' date=' Philip, and EJO. Would have been amazing. Why didn't he do that?[/quote']That would have been incredible!!The X-files did it to some good success.

I have never seen, nor will I see the movie.The best thing that the movie brought, was bringing the interest in the TV SERIES of MIAMI VICE back into the public spotlight again, and making people aware of our favorite show!!!

• Administrators

That would have been incredible!!The X-files did it to some good success.

Yes but they used David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson which is why it worked. There is only one Mulder and Scully, just like Sonny and Rico, or Tomas Magnum.Other actors don't cut it from the original.

Yes but they used David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson which is why it worked. There is only one Mulder and Scully' date=' just like Sonny and Rico, or Tomas Magnum.Other actors don't cut it from the original.[/quote']That was exactly my point. It worked using the actors from the series, as they were loved by the x-files fans.Would have been cool to have VICE do that.

That would have been incredible!!The X-files did it to some good success.

The first X-Files film was good, 2nd one was awful.Like I previously stated, the 2006 film was an attempt to reboot the series. So different actors was expected, not a suprise.Dude should've asked me, I could've came with better choices for Crockett and Tubbs.Mann should've had the original cast to appear though, as a homage to the tv series.

The movie was terrible. The only good thing that came out of it was the music. I agree with what most have said. To dark, couldn't understand some of the cast, and the choice of actors was wrong. Just made me love the series even more.

I did see the trailers before I was first introduced to Miami Vice properly, and wrote it off.Saw Miami Vice, fell in love. As we all know.However, recently watched one of the trailers....I say watched...I had to switch it off half way through. I just couldn't see it. That sounds really bad, but I just saw two guys in costume pretending to be Crockett and Tubbs. I couldn't even say to myself, "That's Crockett and Tubbs." So no, I have no desire to watch the movie. I suppose it was a remake, so it couldn't have been the same people....BUT MAKE IT A REUNION INSTEAD! Like Dallas (or so I hear!) COME ON!!

Dude should've asked me' date=' I could've come with better choices for Crockett and Tubbs.[/quote']Who would you cast as C&T and the rest, then? :)I bought the movie a few years ago, it was an insert so I it was dirt cheap. Still, I don't have the courage to watch it and if I finally do, I won't think of the series at all, I'll treat it like a movie which isn't connected with the series at all.
Mann should've had the original cast to appear though' date=' as a homage to the tv series.[/quote']I just can't imagine anyone else playing our favorite characters, either DJ, PMT, EJO & the rest or nobody else! I don't think a reunion movie is possible - it would make me really happy but I can't imagine 60+ actors doing the same things they did in 1980s. It isn't ageism on my part, I just think some elements of the plot wouldn't be plausible anymore. I may be wrong - I wish I were!

I don't think a reunion movie is possible - it would make me really happy but I can't imagine 60+ actors doing the same things they did in 1980s. It isn't ageism on my part' date=' I just think some elements of the plot wouldn't be plausible anymore. I may be wrong - I wish I were![/quote'] Have to agree with on that part... my apologies to everyone, but I think it would be a bit weird to see Crockett and Tubbs in their 60s doing the same job, while they are rather likely to be retired. :rolleyes: (Of course I would watch it they made it, but...) I thought a remake with totally DIFFERENT main characters (a younger generation of Miami Vice department) and cameos of some (or all) actors from original show would have done much better, kind of addressing the show audience as well as the new audience not familiar with the show... though it's too late now anyway. (My most absurd and crazy fantasy about MV remake was DJ as a villain, instead of a cop... :eek::birdie::D ) Of course the show stars might refuse and stuff... but other characters would be more appropriate anyway, IMHO. (OK, I know, I'm a hell of a bore and wrote this before...:rolleyes::rain:)