Am I the only one who didn't like Castillo much?

Canes n' Pain

For some reason I've never really cared for the Lt. Castillo character. I was fine with Trudy, Gina, and Zito, but Castillo just kind of got on my nerves! It's hard to explain. I'm not trying to piss anyone off or troll or anything, but Castillo was definitely my least favorite. I'm curious, does anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?

Yes. You are the absolute only one in the world.Seriously though, I can easily see how one would not like him. I actually had no idea he was this popular before I visited some MV boards.

Me either! You know, EJO was in Houston last week signing autographs at the "Houston Comicpalooza", but he was charging $60 dollars! I kind of regret not getting a Castillo picture signed, but I usually just send actors letters and get autographs for free anyway.

I loved the Castillo character. I can see why people would not like him, but his personality and character added a lot to the show, IMO.

• Administrators

I always loved the Castillo character but charging $60 for an autograph lowers his stock a bit in my eyes. :thumbsdown:

Please don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Castillo, he's just my least favorite. I'm not trying to piss anybody off...

He wasn't my fave character, but I didn't dislike him. He's just very understated, but he's methodical and thorough with his job. And there was this mystery, almost 'weirdness' about his past. Some people might not have warmed to his characteristics & that's not surprising.I think that EJO did a great job with portraying the character though.

Please don't get me wrong' date=' I don't HATE Castillo, he's just my least favorite. I'm not trying to piss anybody off...[/quote']I hope nobody would be mean to you for just saying what you feel. You have every right to your opinion. We have class here, I'm sure things will be cool.I liked the character, as he was mysterious, and just like his clothes, he only saw things in black and white. He kept order within the group, and kept them focused on what needed to be done, even though it seemed cold hearted at times. He was not an equal, but rather a father figure who did things by the book, and wouldn't do it any other way. If you needed him, he'd back you up, and be in your corner.He certainly wasn't exciting, but his character never was intended to be. ,,,He was the voice of reason who followed the law word for word. MIAMI VICE RULES!

I´m not a big Castillo fan either, but I think he´d done a good job. His employees always knew that they could count on him. For me, he seemed to be a thoughtful man and nobody ever knew what was going on behind his poker face.As for his past, it was the same as with Rico. Until the end we had only gotten very little information about it.

I wasn't a big Castillo fan first time around either but with the evolution of dvds, he has grown in my estimation & I enjoy the cases that focus on him as I now think EJO is a good actor. It's not good how much he charges for autographs however I saw an advertisement in California for another Vice actor attending a fan get-together (not exclusive to MV, just a TV/film fan day) & they were charging enough for theirs! This isn't a new thing as Cary Grant charged all that time ago, but for me it's meanness because surely if it weren't for the fans ..... ???

Yes, Sue, I agree. Who were the actors without their fans? I think it would be something different if an actors tells that he gives the money one pays for the autographs to a care organisation.

I liked the Castillo character. Think he was the perfect counterbalance to the flamboyancy of the C&T characters. He added an element of law and order to the OCB, and brought reason to situations that were highly charged. His mystique working with the DEA in the Golden Triangle, familiarity with martial arts and the Asian culture, and his past marriage just added to the brooding nature of his character. Think the show would not have been as successful with Rodriguez or a character like him in the Lt role.

Guest myonlyvice
I liked the Castillo character. Think he was the perfect counterbalance to the flamboyancy of the C&T characters. He added an element of law and order to the OCB' date=' and brought reason to situations that were highly charged. His mystique working with the DEA in the Golden Triangle, familiarity with martial arts and the Asian culture, and his past marriage just added to the brooding nature of his character. Think the show would not have been as successful with Rodriguez or a character like him in the Lt role.[/quote'] Amen to this above. You get it. And I hope no offense was taken by my post before. In retrospect maybe it could be misinterpreted. Peace.

Amen to this above. You get it. And I hope no offense was taken by my post before. In retrospect maybe it could be misinterpreted. Peace.

All is cool and no offense is taken...think discussions and differences of opinion are good and even encouraged on this site. Not a problem at all. :cool:;)

• 4 weeks later...

Loved Castillo. Always think of his wardrobe. A rack of black suits. A rack of white shirts and a few dozen black ties. Never had to worry about colour cordination.

I think Edward J. Olmos was an excellent choice for the role of Lieutenant Martin Castillo. It doesn't take much to imagine the kind of past he endured from 3 years in the DEA as a undercover agent in the 'by that time' worst part of the world - he was so severely ravaged that it showed on his face. His enigmatic calm collectedness could only be the result of spending to many years around psychopathic personas (I remember his answer to Tubbs question in Golden Triangle about how these 3 years had been: 'it was like a lifetime'). He also mentioned that his working by the book was the only thing he had left.I can understand you don't like the Castillo character, and I respect that.:thumbsup:Meanwhile as a Miami Vice cop I would trust Castillo much more than the Rodriguez Character (especially when you remember his answer to Crockett's question about how he could afford an expensive school for his daughter, while having a Police Lieutenant payroll: 'That's none of your business'). Castillo on the other hand even while being a introvert person would always give a straight answer to questions regarding his persona. That for me makes a world of difference, so if you ask me; Rodriguez or Castillo - I choose Castillo any time for one single reason: trustworthiness. This might even be a little poll: Who would you choose? Rodriguez or Castillo?Who would you choose Canes n' Pain?And about asking money for signatures, do a little search on ebay and you'll find out it's a serious business. I can imagine that they get overhauled by people asking for signatures. Unfortunately, not only by fans but also by people that made a business out of selling this autographed items. So yes, I can understand that an artist get fed up by being asked a autograph today just to find it in a selling list the next day on ebay for hard cash.And since 50$ is mostly the selling price, they try to discourage the non-fans by asking money for it.

but I usually just send actors letters and get autographs for free anyway.

I'm afraid most of them are done with a machine called a autopen (I happened to work somewhere where such a machine was used, every once and while we needed to give it a new pen as a form of maintenance - and yes, it looks like the real deal).

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_0g3iL7WZc

• Administrators

This might even be a little poll: Who would you choose? Rodriguez or Castillo?

Ask and ye shall receive! You can now officially vote for your favorite!

I was shocked when Rodriguez was killed off Vice ,was getting use to him in the few episodes.At that time Vice was brand new and you were feeling out the characters.When they brought Castillo in. Me and my dad did find him cold and tough.But when you look at the whole series he Played a big part in vice and fit in perfectly.Everybody when to him for advice at good time and bad times and he was a man of reason.I like in the Evan episode when Sonny talks to Castillo says he wants off the case and gives a bit of attitude to Castillo and Castillo says the job gets done forget about the feeling you have against Evan just get the job done,point.I also like the talk Sonny has with Castillo after the kid is shot in Child's play.I think Castillo had a way to calm Sonny down.

Me either! You know' date=' EJO was in Houston last week signing autographs at the "Houston Comicpalooza", but he was charging $60 dollars! I kind of regret not getting a Castillo picture signed, but I usually just send actors letters and get autographs for free anyway.[/quote'] 60 bucks? This explains some bad feelings towards Castillo LOLWell, i personally think if you are a fan, its kinda weird your favourite actor asks money for an autograph. Was it for charity or something like? If so its okay, if its just for sale it sux.

Who could imagine: most Don Johnson´s autographs from Cooper´s collection were made by a robot LOLOL....

enigmatic calm collectedness could only be the result of spending to many years around psychopathic personas (I remember his answer to Tubbs question in Golden Triangle about how these 3 years had been: 'it was like a lifetime'). He also mentioned that his working by the book was the only thing he had left.I can understand you don't like the Castillo character" data-date=" and I respect that.:thumbsup:Meanwhile as a Miami Vice cop I would trust Castillo much more than the Rodriguez Character (especially when you remember his answer to Crockett">

Who would you choose? Rodriguez or Castillo?Who would you choose Canes n' Pain?And about asking money for signatures, do a little search on ebay and you'll find out it's a serious business. I can imagine that they get overhauled by people asking for signatures. Unfortunately, not only by fans but also by people that made a business out of selling this autographed items. So yes, I can understand that an artist get fed up by being asked a autograph today just to find it in a selling list the next day on ebay for hard cash.And since 50$ is mostly the selling price, they try to discourage the non-fans by asking money for it.I'm afraid most of them are done with a machine called a autopen (I happened to work somewhere where such a machine was used, every once and while we needed to give it a new pen as a form of maintenance - and yes, it looks like the real deal).

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_0g3iL7WZc

The Tv Police Comander Cliche 101 book was tossed out, with EJ0's portrayal of Marty Castillo.Which tells me that the actor had plenty of imput on the devlopment/concept of the character.Nearly 30 yrs later, there hasn't been another one even close on tv.But two with the brooding intensity, played by alumns of Michael Mann's universe.William Petersen and Gary Sinise.

Who could imagine: most Don Johnson´s autographs from Cooper´s collection were made by a robot LOLOL....

No way jose! :DThese machines didn't exist in the early 80's.Mine are the real deal! :thumbsup:

No way jose! :DThese machines didn't exist in the early 80's.

They said that about a certain terminator too...:) But wait a minute, perhaps Don Johnson is perhaps a robot send from the future to sign Coop's photographs...:D Nah, I bet ya Coop has a time machine there somewhere in order to travel back to the 80's and buy all this wonderful Miami Vice merchandise and stuff we will never get our hands on.:p;):cool:

They said that about a certain terminator too...:) But wait a minute' date=' perhaps Don Johnson is perhaps a robot send from the future to sign Coop's photographs...:D Nah, I bet ya Coop has a time machine there somewhere in order to travel back to the 80's and buy all this wonderful Miami Vice merchandise and stuff we will never get our hands on.:p;):cool:[/quote']Ahhhh......you figured out how I do it. Good job, your correct Philippe, I do travel back to the past to get these wonderful goodies to share with you all. :clap: