How I'm feeling.. Aw man....

Icemanmike

I've been here awhile and some know me and some or most don't. Well, something has come to light concerning my health and I'd thought I'd share. I haven't been feeling well for some time. Moved back to Michigan last Feb from Tennessee (U-turn after 5 months) and since about May or so I've been feeling like I have a cross between a head cold and a hangover. All the time. Finally went to the Doc in July and early August I have been diagnosed with Cancer. Leukemia, actually. Been trying to deal with it and I have good days and not so good days and over all I just plain feel like crap for just trying to work and get stuff done and the couch/bed calls most of the time. Naw, it's not a bucket list thing I'm gonna go thru, just when I want to go do something and hit the streets cruising,(I'm a muscle car guy) I just plain feel like crap. My condition as how I feel, my cancer doc says has nothing to do with cancer. My family doc says I'm in perfect health other than the leukemia. I guess that makes me special. Great. I feel lousy and the docs can't really do anything until the condition starts eating away at me and then it's kemo. Oh yeah. I have Priority One health care and you would have no idea that it costs over 2 grand of outta pocket(deductible) costs to tell me all this plus the time missed(average 2 hrs an appointment) of over time pay. They even tell me that I have a 'mild' case and may live well into my 80's. I can't imagine how folks who really have it bad must feel. I didn't want this to sound like a rant it's just when frustration runs deep, well whatareyagonndo?.If you have good or great health, cherish it and be thankful. I always did.....Mike

We may not know each other Mike, but know that I feel for you. I lost a niece that had leukemia, she was twelve and we where very close as the young children that we where.:cry:

Hello, fellow MI native. It can be tough to break the ice and know what to say. That is some news, all right. Why do they say you have to wait? Couldn't they just start now? I'm hoping it's ok to say 'Good that they caught it early', right? You are so right about health being precious. Life is precious. It is good we are living in the age of medicine where there are more options and they can treat things with more precision. Are they at least answering your questions, or like a support group?

I've been here awhile and some know me and some or most don't. Well' date=' something has come to light concerning my health and I'd thought I'd share. I haven't been feeling well for some time. Moved back to Michigan last Feb from Tennessee (U-turn after 5 months) and since about May or so I've been feeling like I have a cross between a head cold and a hangover. All the time. Finally went to the Doc in July and early August I have been diagnosed with Cancer. Leukemia, actually. Been trying to deal with it and I have good days and not so good days and over all I just plain feel like crap for just trying to work and get stuff done and the couch/bed calls most of the time. Naw, it's not a bucket list thing I'm gonna go thru, just when I want to go do something and hit the streets cruising,(I'm a muscle car guy) I just plain feel like crap. My condition as how I feel, my cancer doc says has nothing to do with cancer. My family doc says I'm in perfect health other than the leukemia. I guess that makes me special. Great. I feel lousy and the docs can't really do anything until the condition starts eating away at me and then it's kemo. Oh yeah. I have Priority One health care and you would have no idea that it costs over 2 grand of outta pocket(deductible) costs to tell me all this plus the time missed(average 2 hrs an appointment) of over time pay. They even tell me that I have a 'mild' case and may live well into my 80's. I can't imagine how folks who really have it bad must feel. I didn't want this to sound like a rant it's just when frustration runs deep, well whatareyagonndo?.If you have good or great health, cherish it and be thankful. I always did.....Mike[/quote']Mike. I may, or may not be your closest pal on this site (Just depends if your closer to someone else on this site). I'm saddened by this news. I've heard of Leukemia, but really don't know anything about it, or it's symptoms, I just know I don't want you to have this.It's uplifting that they say that you may live into your 80's.My kidneys aren't working at 100% (most likely due to taking Ibuprophen on a regular basis, and high does of it.). 40% is not working.Also, I have a very, very mild case of Crohn's disease. I'm one of the real lucky ones who doesn't have it too bad. When I had a bout with Crohn's disease, my white blood cell count was extremely high, and I was too weak to do anything. Couldn't even get the strength to be on this site. I'd literally take two steps up the stairs, and I was completely out of breath and strength.Didn't the doctors explain that with high blood cell counts, you will be weak? That's why your weak. I feel for ya buddy. Although I don't know what your going through, I kind of have somewhat of an idea. My tests also cost me several thousand dollars out of pocket.I'm just hoping that you will be able to be here with us as much as you can, because you bring happiness to this site. You sure have a way of writing such nice things about my posts. I'd like to thank you. You make me feel important.Hopefully, you can beat this, and beat it soon. I don't want anything bad to happen to you. Your really one of the good guys. :thumbsup:Thank you again for having the courage to post this information to us, and sharing it.Your Pal forever,COOP

Thank you for the kind words and support. I know I come and go as we would say in waves and I do lurk alot without signing in. I just felt like sharing instead of not. This is a great place with great people who have made it this way. Yep, the doc said I have an extemely high white blood cell count as my body seems to be fighting something off and I have cancerous blood cells. When you're told this for the first time and while your trying to make sence of all this in the first minute or two, you should be glad your sitting down. The room will spin. The thoughts that run thru you head from that moment on is unbelievable. I now take nothing for granted or waste time like I used to. You never think this will happen to someone you know let alone you. I remember COOP, when you were'nt feeling well and I'm glad your doing better and I believe catching anything early is key. My cancer doc is going to do another blood test in a few weeks to see if I'm stable and if not chemo begins. I can say how I'm so not looking forward to that yet I'm at the point I would like nothing but to feel less tired as I also am all the time and for the dizzyness, nausia and headaches to end. Not to mention sweating. Seems like it's all I do and if the temp goes above 80, oh man, I'm a mess. It's also recommended I rest like all the time. I'm a bit too active to oblige to that yet I've been doing more that I'm accustomed to. Been a unusual summer for sure yet I know I have a long run on this earth. I realize God only gives us so much that we can handle. I take it day by day and smile and enjoy as we all should. I have been blessed with great health up to this point and as you can imagine, this came as a blow. Life goes on and I will too and enjoy every minute for many, many years to come. This hasn't gotten me down to bad, just made me realize what I'm up against and I will beat this. Time for more good times. Thank you again and listening. Ya'll make it so great here and I'm happy to be part of it, Mike

Look at the things that are good in your life and treasure those. That makes the fight easier,I wish you all the best and don't give up Life is worth living!You are in my thought and prayers.

absolutely stopping, and completely speechless. it's never easy to talk about cancer. it's like a curse word, no one wants to talk about it. the words really fail me, too. although we haven't talked all that much, I just want to say i wish all the best to you. We are always here for you, buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

as it has been said before , we aren't close here but i had the opportunity to cross you several times on the forums . hard to say but nowadays almost everybody has or did have a cancer . the guilty feeling linked to that disease is also diminishing a lot , i think it's important . i had a polyp myself , i was lucky it wasn't cancerous in my situation but it could have been (i had to be followed by a doctor during 10 years) . i think i know what caused that thing , and one day (later then) i realized that i had that thing because i was completly wrong (i just was on the wrong planet) . you did right by sharing with us . i talked with someone that had a cancer one day , and who survived . he told me it was very important for him to talk . i agree with what have been said , your doctors told you , you could go on your 80s , i think it's pretty good news . the stress you're talking about is normal , i mean who in your case wouldn't be at least a little bit anxious , but i think it will go on reducing with time . see you soon : )

So sorry to hear about your situation Mike.I can only wish you the very best and hope you can tuff it throught the next few months of doctors prodding and poking etc.I have lost far too many friends lately from Cancer, the latest was a dear friend who passed at 39 from breast cancer last year.What angers me is that a scientist from the University of Calgary Canada claimed to have found a cure for cancer DEFINITIVELY!!! back in June of this year. It was on the news in Canada for a day or tow, and then it dissapeared?????????Apparently from what I heard it is a generic over the counter drug available to anyone without a prescription, so I guess the drug companies got a word in and silenced this scientist but good?Far too many people are suffering from this afliction and I'm so sorry to hear that you too are suffering. I wish that peoples health came before corporate profits.May you get well with some kemo or some drugs and I hope thay caught it at an early stage in your case.Remember my friend...if you die...I'll kill ya! Hang around a bit longer with all of us here please....

• Administrators

Mike. It's not always easy to know what to say in a situation like this. All I can think of right now, from one muscle car guy to another, is don't take this sitting down. Do whatever you need to do to kick this thing in the ass! The sooner you beat it, the sooner you can enjoy cruising again. Hang in there buddy!

Thank you so much to you all for the kind words and support. It means more to me than you realize. Yes, this has changed me in way for the better. The little things in life matter and do get noticed. Sun rises and sunsets. No matter where I am the color of the sky gives me a Miami feeling. Pretty cool. Lately I've been dealing with my conditions which seem to fluctuate day to day. It seems like every three days I feel like coming down with a cold then the next day I feel better. Makes it hard to go to the gym and be active, yet I find ways to work it out. Hard to plan yet I will not sit around with the "poor old me" syndrome! About 15 minute from where I live there is an excellent cancer clinic and my doctor is the head of about 3/4's of the state of Michigan and this clinic is better than the one at U of M, so that helps me feel better on what this doc says. I can bank on and it seems to be better than expected. I have an appointment on the 15th of this month for more blood tests(story of my life) and go from there. Needles dont phaze me much anymore. LOL. This may slow me down a little yet there is so much I'm doing and getting done for the next summer. I do plan on some top down cruising and getting the cars in the stable closer to where I want them and some much needed time off as some job jumping over the last year has nullified vacation time to zero. I will keep ya posted as things go and I don't mind telling ya that I'm gonne be around here for some time. Thank you once again for all your support, caring and feeling of family. It means alot to me, Mike

Thank you so much to you all for the kind words and support. It means more to me than you realize. Yes' date=' this has changed me in way for the better. The little things in life matter and do get noticed. Sun rises and sunsets. No matter where I am the color of the sky gives me a Miami feeling. Pretty cool. Lately I've been dealing with my conditions which seem to fluctuate day to day. It seems like every three days I feel like coming down with a cold then the next day I feel better. Makes it hard to go to the gym and be active, yet I find ways to work it out. Hard to plan yet I will not sit around with the "poor old me" syndrome! About 15 minute from where I live there is an excellent cancer clinic and my doctor is the head of about 3/4's of the state of Michigan and this clinic is better than the one at U of M, so that helps me feel better on what this doc says. I can bank on and it seems to be better than expected. I have an appointment on the 15th of this month for more blood tests(story of my life) and go from there. Needles dont phaze me much anymore. LOL. This may slow me down a little yet there is so much I'm doing and getting done for the next summer. I do plan on some top down cruising and getting the cars in the stable closer to where I want them and some much needed time off as some job jumping over the last year has nullified vacation time to zero. I will keep ya posted as things go and I don't mind telling ya that I'm gonne be around here for some time. Thank you once again for all your support, caring and feeling of family. It means alot to me, Mike[/quote']Icemanmike, you sound like such a nice person. You have a girlfriend right? Has she been supportive? Top down driving is incredible, and makes all of life's problems seem to disapear for a while.I've been getting blood tests about 3 times a year (three vials at a time) for my kidney disease. I've been bitch'in about it lately, as I just had another one last week, and I'm sick of them, but I know compared to you...mine is a walk in the park. The cool thing about this thread is you can update us, and or vent if you need to.ICEMANMIKE!!:thumbsup:

Hey Mike, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'll be keeping you in my prayers and hoping that the doctors are right & you live well into your 80's......in good health! :thumbsup:

Look at the things that are good in your life and treasure those. That makes the fight easier' date='I wish you all the best and don't give up Life is worth living!You are in my thought and prayers.[/quote']I completely agree. Positive thoughs, positive beat and positive people in our life makes life worth living. I'm only 18 years old and having to sometimes battle daily with depression and dark thoughts. But i live day by day. I know it can't be compared to your situation, but you're not alone there man. We need to cherish the special moments and memories in our life to keep going on and to believe in a better tomorrow, but trying to make out the most of this day.Stay strong Mike.

Thank you for the kind words once again, COOP, I appreciate it. Yes, I have a wonderful lady in my life. Her name is Susan. Funny. She was the first girl I ever kissed at the ripe 'ol age of 14. Our parents had mutual interests(boating in Saugatuck, Michigan)where I spent all my summers growing up on in and around water. This is where I have obtained all my boating knowledge. Anyway, I found Susan on Facebook a year and a half ago and found she was single and very close to me. I contacted her and the rest has been history. She is my pillar of strength, world, and anything that has meaning to life. So very supportive and up for anything. She's truely a gift from God and I truely would have no idea what to do without her. I never knew you could feel like this about another person and I hope we all here on this site have that special someone and if not he/she should be right around the corner. Yes, I remember driving my current convertible around and what you say is very true. They simply take your troubles away with a simple drive with no destination in mind. I so look forward to getting mine painted and ready to go for the 2012 season. Coop, the blood test are no big deal. I've learned to live with them and having a high tolerence of pain helps yet I know it gets old quick, it's just one of those things we have to do to maintain feeling well. Don't get down on it.... It's just a few times a year buddy... If I can do it, so can you. Be with me on this COOP... I'm here for ya. ... Mike

Thank you Tony, I appreciate it. I'd love to hear your band jam sometime as Susan and I have talked about a Florida get away and since her folks live by Lauderdale, it very may well happen. We can stay at a neighbor's house that they sit for right on the ocean...:happy:...Markwey: Thanx for the support, I appreciate it... Hope you can overcome what's been on your mind and have some great days. You're young. Have fun and please don't take life too seriously just yet. Save that for later. Be yourself and take a portion of a Vice episode and apply it to your day and it just gets that much better. I only know to have good and great days, I can't do much for how I feel, I just make the best of every situation and with God's will is all I can do. I hope it works itself out and you can look further down the road than day by day. Thinking of you also, Thank you everyone for the kind words again, I have another appointment on the 15th of this month and we'll see how it goes...:thumbsup:....Mike

Iceman if you get a chance next summer to visit Niagara, I want you to come down for a ride on the boat. I haven't forgotten your kindness to me from a couple of years ago, and I would like to repay it with a day on the water.Let me know if you can pop down for a visit.

Thank you so much for such an opportunity and we would be honored to do so. Next year is so open we may actually be able to do just that. If it looks like it can happen we would be delighted and will be in touch. I can't find words right now to be able to let you know what this means to me. I so appreciate it and all who have had such nice, supportive words and feelings to share. Thank you, Mike:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Iceman: You're gonna beat this. I just know it! Hang in the and think positive (I know that sounds like a cheap cliche, but I firmly believe having a good attitude is necessary).My wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor three years ago and she is thriving today. She still has some of the tumor left and it's too difficult to operate on, but you'd never know it. Part of her success is 1. good doctors and 2. having a good attitude.Oh yeah...it also helps to watch lots of Miami Vice. Especially season 2.Best of luck to you. You'll win this fight!

Guest MetroVice

LIFEI know somewhat how you feel my friend. Getting news like that is never a good thing. When we're young and healthy we could never imagine what some people go through who have these crazy ailments in life. Hopefully most people will never have to experience things like this, but life throws many of us a real curve when we least expect it. We always hear of folks getting a disease but we hope it will never happen to us, although we know it *could*.I was always in great health and enjoyed a pretty good life here in south Florida. Born and raised in south FL, my family and I have always had a fairly decent life here. I was diagnosed with a rare progressive brain disorder similar to Parkinson's Disease the beginning of this year but had been having worsening symptoms the prior 6 months. I'm only in my late forties and a very tall, well built man but it's hard for me to even get around any longer and I can't do many of the things I used to. I was a body guard for the Trump Organization for years back in the Ivana Trump/Marla Maples days and never needed anybody for *anything* because I was always so independent and healthy. And because the disease is progressive the symptoms will only worsen over time. There is no cure.I say that to let you know there are a LOT of us who have gotten no-so-great news in our lives. The kind of news that changes everything for you. It's damn hard for me to think back on all the great things I used to be able to do but now can't do half what I used to nor can I work at all any longer. I too have good days and some that are just plain bad. Believe me, it sucks. But there's always a little good even in the bad. As hard as it is, you have to find a way to make your life work despite the hand we are dealt.I'm sure sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Hell, I hate to hear of anyone having to live in pain or discomfort and the financial suffering that typically goes along with it. I wish there was something any one of us could do. But you clearly DO have good friends here. We all share our love of Miami Vice and/or the 80's in general, and we can even talk about issues such as this here. Can't tell you how many times I've wished I could somehow go back to the 1980's and live it all over again because for me it was truly among the best times of my life. I was young(er) and things were happening for me during that time (the 90's were pretty good as well).Just remember you have friends and family who care very much for you, and as hard as it is to get that kind of news, you do have the rest of your life ahead of you. As difficult as it sometimes can be there are always people to help you along the way.Good fortune to you my friend, and I hope you DO get better and feel better too :thumbsup:

I know somewhat how you feel my friend. Getting news like that is never a good thing. When we're young and healthy we could never imagine what some people go through who have these crazy ailments in life. Hopefully most people will never have to experience things like this' date=' but life throws many of us a real curve when we least expect it. We always hear of folks getting a disease but we hope it will never happen to us, although we know it *could*.I was always in great health and enjoyed a pretty good life here in south Florida. Born and raised in south FL, my family and I have always had a fairly decent life here. I was diagnosed with a rare progressive brain disorder similar to Parkinson's Disease the beginning of this year but had been having worsening symptoms the prior 6 months. I'm only in my late forties and a very tall, well built man but it's hard for me to even get around any longer and I can't do many of the things I used to. I was a body guard for the Trump Organization for years back in the Ivana Trump/Marla Maples days and never needed anybody for *anything* because I was always so independent and healthy. And because the disease is progressive the symptoms will only worsen over time. There is no cure.I say that to let you know there are a LOT of us who have gotten no-so-great news in our lives. The kind of news that changes everything for you. It's damn hard for me to think back on all the great things I used to be able to do but now can't do half what I used to nor can I work at all any longer. I too have good days and some that are just plain bad. Believe me, it sucks. But there's always a little good even in the bad. As hard as it is, you have to find a way to make your life work despite the hand we are dealt.I'm sure sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Hell, I hate to hear of anyone having to live in pain or discomfort and the financial suffering that typically goes along with it. I wish there was something any one of us could do. But you clearly DO have good friends here. We all share our love of Miami Vice and/or the 80's in general, and we can even talk about issues such as this here. Can't tell you how many times I've wished I could somehow go back to the 1980's and live it all over again because for me it was truly among the best times of my life. I was young(er) and things were happening for me during that time (the 90's were pretty good as well).Just remember you have friends and family who care very much for you, and as hard as it is to get that kind of news, you do have the rest of your life ahead of you. As difficult as it sometimes can be there are always people to help you along the way.Good fortune to you my friend, and I hope you DO get better and feel better too :thumbsup:[/quote']BINGO! Right back atcha! Man, you hit many right on the head. :clap:..Thank you for what and how said what you did and I hope the best for you also and you can find what heals you so you can feel the way you used to. I know I'd like that back for sure. Like was already mentioned, shall we prescribe some season 2? I'll take and extra dose this weekend!...Mike

Had an appointment yesterday at the 'ol cancer doc and I'm happy to say that I am stable! Not any better, not any worse. You could call that good news... I am! Anyway, still doesn't explain how badly I feel and the doc has issued me a bunch of tests...Glad my medical deductable is paid in full at this time...LOL. So, I get there and they pull 2 viles of blood. No big deal- routine. I wait a bit, then get brought back to see my doctor and after reviewing a bit he decides to order some more tests. 2 tests with some blood work and on Dec 1, I get to go for a chest/abdominal scan. Drink some pasty fluid the night before and a little before I get there and I lay down in a tube and I guess they can find some more out. Well, they (COOP, your gonna love this) used all the blood I gave when I first got there for the initial test and I had to give more. 2 more LARGE vials. The nurse met me before I got there and did the "I want to take your blood" thing..You know, incert your favorite vampire voice...Anyway, so I give a bit more and am waiting to see what's the next step. Yes, they actually let me drive home...LOL. I really hope they find something. Anything would be great. I don't mind telling ya how frustrating it can be being tested, tested and tested some more and the docs can't find anything. I should be careful here, yet I can't wait for this scan. I'm so looking forward to feeling better. I prescribed myself some Prodigal Son last night and I feel the love...:happy::happy::happy:... Mike

Had an appointment yesterday at the 'ol cancer doc and I'm happy to say that I am stable! Not any better' date=' not any worse. You could call that good news... I am! Anyway, still doesn't explain how badly I feel and the doc has issued me a bunch of tests...Glad my medical deductable is paid in full at this time...LOL. So, I get there and they pull 2 viles of blood. No big deal- routine. I wait a bit, then get brought back to see my doctor and after reviewing a bit he decides to order some more tests. 2 tests with some blood work and on Dec 1, I get to go for a chest/abdominal scan. Drink some pasty fluid the night before and a little before I get there and I lay down in a tube and I guess they can find some more out. Well, they (COOP, your gonna love this) used all the blood I gave when I first got there for the initial test and I had to give more. 2 more LARGE vials. The nurse met me before I got there and did the "I want to take your blood" thing..You know, incert your favorite vampire voice...Anyway, so I give a bit more and am waiting to see what's the next step. Yes, they actually let me drive home...LOL. I really hope they find something. Anything would be great. I don't mind telling ya how frustrating it can be being tested, tested and tested some more and the docs can't find anything. I should be careful here, yet I can't wait for this scan. I'm so looking forward to feeling better. I prescribed myself some Prodigal Son last night and I feel the love...:happy::happy::happy:... Mike[/quote']Mys stupid 3 vial blood test (even with my good insurance) cost me $59.00 out of pocket! :evil::thumbsdown: I'm less than thrilled.