Lost our Passion!

Tony D.

Reading Topics & posts lately on this website & on .org, I feel we've lost the passion we once had for Miami Vice.Maybe because of all the fighting, name-calling etc. or the 25 yrs. which has gone by...........but I'm re-posting this you-tube song: "Blaze of Glory."When I watch it, I find the passion for Miami Vice is rekindled & I want to see my DVDs again!Enjoy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ipfXZ5R4w When you getthe link click on go! It worked for me.

Sorry, Tony.I like you a lot, but I must strongly disagree with you on this statement.The passion has been totally lost on that "other" website. What was once a great community (over there) was totally blown apart and sent in many different directions. Call it an implosion, if you wish. The destruction was from within. Here, on .ws, I have seen many of my "old friends" (including you), I feel a renewed passion and interest (not just on my part, but many others also), and I do not see a need for a "reigniting of the fire" here, as it is burning full tilt.I think I can understand and acknowledge your statement, since you state it is from the perspective of looking at both websites combined, both .org and .ws combined. I choose to only look at .ws, as it is my new home, and it is where I feel most comfortable.

that's a great vid, tony! thanks for posting.i feel the same as rich about .ws. i hope things always stay good over here. i like everybody here.thanks again for the vid.

I hear what you're saying TD. It's harder to find fans who want to discuss the details of a particular scene or episode, in depth, in ways that reflect how we were affected by what we saw. This should be the last bastion for folks who still can't get it out of their heads 25 years later. I know I don't dress Vice or live Vice per se, but it sure is a heck of a big part of my life. Watching Vice, which I still do at least once a week, helps me relax, remember better times and recharge. It's a work that has truly stood the test of time and I keep waiting for the day that is embraced by the public at large. It's so rare for a show to define an era, and to still be talked about decades later, which Vice is. But for whatever reason, it never gets its full due among the media and public at large. I know I keep comparing it to Star Trek, but that's the easiest, most obvious comparison I can come up with. Why is Trek still so widely revered 40 years later yet Vice is relegated to a few passing mentions here and there? I suppose the main difference between the shows is that, while a product of the 60s, Trek didn't define its decade, so perhaps it's easier for the public/media types to separate Trek (as a work) from its era. Maybe that means Vice suffers from a bit of 80s backlash. But for me, and I bet for most Vice fans, the 80s are far from something to be ridiculed or forgotten.I've heard some members on the other site say that it's all been discussed before and there's nothing new to talk about. That they simply got bored. Sad. I'm well past 10 viewing on a lot of eps, approaching 20 for some, and I still get a charge out of them. It makes me feel young. Admitting something like that isn't widely accepted, because it is normally belittled as out of touch nostalgia. But to me, sites like this were created so those of us who feel that way can share our experiences without bothering the outsiders who would rather not participate.If even the hardcore Vicers can't stand up and keep the show alive, well, where do we go?

Viceman, you summarized perfectly the reasons for the interest / lack of interest in our Miami Vice!Star Trek was about a future we are reaching for but haven't even reached the first Star Trek version of.When I'm taken advantage of by people & laughed at or generally put down, I get some consolation in watching Sonny or Rico blast away at the dirt bags or even the cops that call them "cowboys." There's the passion that you don't see in a lot of new shows.As for .org , I will not abandon them unless they do something bad or they boot me out.What they did to Ferrariman was uncalled for .......but if they don't want any moderators, it's their prerogative.He should not have been suspended, though!.Org and this site are both in need of a good shot of life . Just look at how many members are posting here & there! :sleep:

I haven't lost the passion. If anything, it's only grown stronger. Heck, I came across a Vice perfect blazer last night, it was $50, which is $50 more than I have right now. I'm itching to get it, but no $$$ until Saturday.And, I've got some copies of NBC broadcasts, complete with commercials, just waiting for me. I've got through three tapes, and I'm dying to get to the other two. If I'm itching for that blazer, it's about ten times worse to watch those tapes (and I do have the DVDs!).I don't think any show has ever gotten to me that way. There's a few shows that I have loved for years, but the look and feel of MV is timeless, something else entirely. I can't exactly walk around in white pastels, but I can do something MV-related that won't get me killed on the streets, and trust me, MV is the only show I've ever felt that passion for.

that's a great vid' date=' tony! thanks for posting.i feel the same as rich about .ws. i hope things always stay good over here. i like everybody here.thanks again for the vid.[/quote']Sorry Tony, you know i'm a fan of you, but I think you are wrong. Nofretz tells it. I do feel not quite at home here.....perhaps that is what you feel also. your opinoimn about .org,....well, we'll see about that. I felt athome there, but no longer. You might say i'm homeless at the moment.

Just to be clear, I don't view this thread as a referendum on .ws. I wish it was easier to keep track of posts, but overall I'm happy as hell to be here and am tickled pastel pink that I now have the choice to not deal with the crap from manimal.org. (It seems insulting to even use the MV name with it now.)

• Administrators

Tony, I have to disagree. I can't speak for .org but there is a lot going on here. Perhaps not your DVD reviews but there is plenty of discussion and trivia, not to mention Dadrian Wilson covers that are an exclusive here and tons of new stuff in COOPER&BURNETT's scrapbook section added every day! The glossary alone could occupy you for weeks! Some members are still uncomfortable here and I can understand that. This format takes a while to get used to but once you get used to it, it's great and when you ask a question you get more than "thank you" You get an answer! Lack of interest? Well maybe on .org. Here we have approximately 50 to 60 members visiting everyday and posting. That's "members" not guests or lurkers! Do I still lurk on .org? Sometimes. It usually takes a few minutes at best. Tony, once again I will say you are more than welcome on .ws or on .org or both. I understand your devotion but the recent events on .org, have been over for a while now and you seem to be the only one who keeps bringing it up. (much like beating a certain dead animal that I won't mention) I respect your decision but it's time to stop playing both sides and climb down off your soapbox. What do you expect to gain by posting stuff like this "on both sites"? Of course people here will defend .ws and members there will support .org. The bridge was burned and sides have been chosen. Let it rest because nobody wants to hear it anymore..org was a great site. Can it be again? Under the current dictatorship, I doubt it. And yes, I say dictatorship because if the management doesn't agree or like your comments they are deleted or hidden. And to think I was once called a forum Hitler! What a joke!

• Administrators

I have to disagree with you Tony.From the bottom of the "Forum" tab in the pink navigation bar:What's Going On? Currently Active Users: 11 (4 members and 7 guests) Most users ever online was 216, 04-29-2008 at 08:17 AM.• Administrators • Super Moderators • Moderators • Glossary Mods • Registered Users timm525, Ferrariman+ Total members that have visited the forum today: 42 The most members online in one day was 67, 12-01-2008. airtommy, avp2029, cheld, COOPER&BURNETT, dchan, DJWannaB, Don, Ferrariman, Gina_Calabrese, goozer, gstien, gypsy, jan-cogo, KaeptnCaipi, Lar, little miss dangerous, maerssy, miamicr'ockett, miamijimf, Miami_Nice, mjcmmv, mrs.C, neworder, nmathews, nofretz, OCB, omaha, Pandina, Peter Guja, Richie Rich, Shill, Sonny Crockett, Sonny's Girl 7, sredd, Stinger390X, The Talk, timm525, Tommy Vercetti, Tony D., Vicechic84, Viceman Cometh, vice_girl_22 Miami-Vice.ws - The Miami Vice Community Statistics Threads: 867, Posts: 12,718, Members: 381, Active Members: 164 Welcome to our newest member, vice_girl_22

Mrs. .ws, as your doctor, I am glad to inform you that your child, .ws, is healthy and happy and growth is well within normal guidelines. He (she) is a perfectly normal little boy (girl).

I know there are times in life when one has to stand up against tyranny and be counted. The Holocaust, for example. I don't think the Vicesite Wars quite qualifies. Even though I've made the .ws switch, I'm not ready to go all "us or them" on folks who maintain dual citizenship. That's why I don't think TD should be characterized as weak-kneed, duplicitous, an instigator or anything else. To me, he's a gentleman (and a gentle man) who honestly can't figure out why we can't all get along. Each of us may have arrived at our own individual answers to that, but he hasn't yet. And far from making me angry, it only reinforces what I like about him in the first place. Tony, you are willing to look for and see the good in everyone, often at your own peril. And I'm willing to bet it's because to you, living a close-hearted life would be riskier than occasionally getting let down by people who don't deserve your good thoughts.Anyway, I'm disappointed to see the turn this thread has taken. I love .ws. I want everyone to love .ws and only .ws. But I think TD has earned the right to sort this all out at his own pace, on his own terms. Just my two cents.

I know I don't dress Vice or live Vice per se' date=' but it sure is a heck of a big part of my life. Watching Vice, which I still do at least once a week, helps me relax, remember better times and recharge.[/quote']Wow, I can't add anything more to that. Well said, Viceman!
I´m with Richie on this. Ws is like a breath of fresh air.
Agreed. I had given up on MV.org for a long time, partially due to the frustration caused by some members there as well as the technical difficulties that seemed to always happen (i.e. "Service Unavailable" messages). I'm VERY optimistic about what I've seen here at ws.

Guest neworder

I seem to find a little less time to post lots of things, but i visit here daily, visit .org every few days and make for the most time atleast 1 comment on here when i visit.I still love Vice, have trawled through seasons 1/2 since July and now ready to go through season 3 then 4 and then possibly 5 (been watching S5 off and on since July). But at the same time im exploring new pastures, namely CSI Miami (which is no where near as good as Vice btw) and also cannot wait until Season 7 of 24 starts in January so, Vice will have more competition TV show wise to grab my attention in the new year.That said i will still be here daily, i love the glossary, dadriens covers are great and i enjoy looking at the guess which ep etc feeds even though i can never really get them.Reviews wise however, there has certanly been a downturn that most obviously started to occur midway season 5 reviews. SJB

No way Tony. It's hard to support a site after seeing valued members treated badly including Cooper&Burnett being mocked by the new owners of .org on the Jan Hammer site after all that he contributed about the show and music. They changed his avatar slogan to 'all demanding member without a clue'. Talk about a slap in the face. No explanation, no apologies.. It was pretty shocking to see Tif's opinion of Ferrariman, RB and srobak take a 180. Apparently you need to wear a vest and watch your back on the other site. Do you call that relaxing?? As Crockett once was quoted with his gun drawn "What the hell is going on here??!!" Not to rehash everything but realize we are just scraping the surface here. It shouldn't be a pick one or the other situation.. but it is at no fault of ours.

• Administrators

I don't think we lost our passion.We started this site on April, 19th 2008. What we reached since then took years over on .info. And a lot of people work several HOURS A DAY to improve this site. If we'd lost our passion, this site would not exist.But that's not all 'cause we need our members to keep the community alive. :clap:If you think there's something missing just pm Lou or pm me and we'll see... :thumbsup:

• Administrators

Not to point fingers Tony but if you want to see a true loss of passion read the replies to this same topic you posted on .org. Only 3 members have had the courtesy to answer you and the 1st answer doesn't even count. You can clearly see (read) "our" passion in the replies here.

Definition of passionPassion (emotion); feeling very strongly about a subject or person, usually referring to feelings of intense desire and attraction, be very passionate about something yep, that sums up me and the vice! :)

Tony,I agree with all the previous posters. There is no loss of passion, in fact there is more than I have seen in years. This site is setting a new standard for fan sites with its professionalism, completeness, and number of features. Vice has always had a following in many countries but for the first time Vice Land has taken on a real international flavor with folks from many countries working together. I have a feeling that your perception is colored by watching the slowdown in posts at .org and a slowdown in episode reviews. You may be paying too much attention to episode reviews. Everybody has their favorite part of the forum. I'm a location freak and I think your favorite is the episode reviews. I think the reviews are just as important as any other part of the forums but they are only one piece of the pie. Consider the vairety of threads as well as the number of posts, the membership, the many hours put in by volunteers like Timm to build the Glossary, C&Bs Scrapbook, nofretz's music etc etc. Overall I think there is more internet fan passion than ever before.

No way Tony. It's hard to support a site after seeing valued members treated badly including Cooper&Burnett being mocked by the new owners of .org on the Jan Hammer site after all that he contributed about the show and music. They changed his avatar slogan to 'all demanding member without a clue'. Talk about a slap in the face. No explanation' date=' no apologies.. It was pretty shocking to see Tif's opinion of Ferrariman, RB and srobak take a 180. Apparently you need to wear a vest and watch your back on the other site. Do you call that relaxing?? As Crockett once was quoted with his gun drawn "What the hell is going on here??!!" Not to rehash everything but realize we are just scraping the surface here. It shouldn't be a pick one or the other situation.. but it is at no fault of ours.[/quote']Tony, ....Do you think I've lost MY passion?

I still happen to have a great deal of passion left for Miami Vice in spite of it being almost 25 years old....when asked if I have a favorite tv program - it still tops my list although I have to add "Life" and "Burn Notice" as my current favs! This is exactly how the passion is kept alive...I have often said that if the internet and discussion forums had been around when MV first aired...boy I'd have lost everything - job, family, friends strictly to sit at the computer to discuss Sonny and everything else I could have about MV....There are plenty of things to still discuss - opinions change, new people find their way here and you can almost always spot something different about an episode dispite having seen it maybe several 100 times!! The passion is still alive and well...........thanks goodness!Peace,Cbreze

Tony...there is NO loss of passion....just a change of address for those that hold a passion for the show....versus staying at the old address for those with a passion for being self-important.Lou already made my first point....3 replies there, 3 pages here.But even if you drop that comparison...take a look at any 24 hour period in the last month. One of the worst was a 24 hours with (3) active topics over there...one of which was about gay marriage. In fact, that is the most active topic they have going. You can't log into this site after 24 hours without having over a page of updated topics on the New Posts page.Those that truly loved what the show was about, what it meant to us, and how it made us feel, haven't lost our passion, and we haven't forgotten what the show meant. Those that are now the leaders on the other site seem to only hold the show in regard what can make them feel more powerful or superior, and trying to use that to bully people around.Tony, you and I have talked through PM about the planning for the convention you want to do... has ANYTHING I warned you about not come true? Have those that made promises and big talk 5 years ago failed (though they will claim it's not their fault)? Have people not challenged you on ideas, only to fade away when it came time to put up or shut up?I will flip it around.....has anyone from the .ws community ever...- lied to you, openly slammed you?- thrown you under the bus behind your back?- failed to deliver on a promise to you? - Can you say the same thing about those that now govern over .org?I think what you're looking for by making your post on both sites is some guide as to where you should hang out...maybe the questions I just asked should be your guide.....

It’s not a loss of passion, it’s exactly the opposite: it’s working hard to rebuild something precious we had in the past. I see more passion now than I’ve ever seen before and it’s not even a matter of comparison/competition between us and them: everybody made a choice, and as I said, I personally don’t have anything against people who are on both sites. Miamijimf talks about professionalism, in fact we’re all grown ups here and actually behaving the way an adult is supposed to: this can only bring to a positive situation and a top-quality forum.In my particular case I never lost interest in MV: I had given up on org for a long time, due to some members’ behaviour. I was only watching DVDs at home because I love the show, but every time I was on org there was no more trivia or fun, only dead ... and fights. It was difficult for me to accept the situation and their behaviour had annoyed me so much that in the end it brought me to even dislike my old username!Then something happened and it’s only the passion for MV and for the friends I had made on org that has pulled me out of my hiding to make a decision: if I lost passion, then I would have never bothered to join here and toss my badge there, read what others write and express my opinions. This is for you Tony:I can imagine how you feel and I really think you are a kind person and a true gentleman. Maybe one day you’ll feel that you have to leave org but as Viceman Cometh said, take your time, think about it and don’t feel under pressure because nobody is forcing you to do it.The only thing that worries me is that you’ll leave org because they had slapped you in the face and you don’t deserve it.They damaged irreparably all the good things that were once the pride and glory of org, but they haven’t damaged us, the passionate vicers who are the pride and glory of ws.

Tony' date=' ....Do you think I've lost MY passion?[/quote']Coop, if passion had the ability to grow two legs and walk around among us, I have no doubt it would look exactly like you!