THE OFFICIAL UK OLYMPICS THREAD!!!!!

Chloe

So people off we go!!!! I shall be watching, despite the cynicism, the cost, the security fiasco and the Korean flag debacle...the UK are hosting the great games this year!!! I like to call it the UK OLYMPICS rather than the LONDON OLYMPICS as there are events taking place all across the UK. The sailing is down in Weymouth and the football is taking place in stadiums across the UK. I LOVE the gymnastics, the swimming, diving and the track events.The UK have put a pretty good team together, fingers crossed and lots of cheering here at Chloe towers : ) So let this be a positive thread to celebrate human endeavour and perseverance. OFF WE GO!!!!!!

So people off we go!!!! I shall be watching' date=' despite the cynicism, the cost, the security fiasco and the Korean flag debacle...the UK are hosting the great games this year!!! I like to call it the UK OLYMPICS rather than the LONDON OLYMPICS as there are events taking place all across the UK. The sailing is down in Weymouth and the football is taking place in stadiums across the UK. I LOVE the gymnastics, the swimming, diving and the track events.The UK have put a pretty good team together, fingers crossed and lots of cheering here at Chloe towers : ) So let this be a positive thread to celebrate human endeavour and perseverance. OFF WE GO!!!!!![/quote']Absolutely marvellous opening ceremony by London watched by one billion apparently :D

Almost at the end of the parade of the athletes. Then On with the entertainment. Apparently they cut 30 minutes from the show... Great to see all the newly formed countries : )

HYSTERICAL.... HM The Queen filmed picking her nails when the GB team entered the stadium... Lol Think she may need her bed, she is 87 after all. Now for the finale!

I loved the segment with the Queen and Daniel Craig plus her corgis - hysterical. The ending was amazing. Here is hoping that everything goes off well and that these UK games are peaceful & entertaining (yes I agree Chloe re UK - we have the mountain biking a mile from us here)

Fantastic :D London knows how to do an opening ceremony.Very :cool: and I even heard Relax from Frankie goes to hollywood and Eric Clapton's song from when Gina and Sonny are unboard the St.Vitus in the one eyed jack episode.Good Luck to all the athletes

And Beckham in the speedboat going up the Thames with the glowing blue light called to mind MV too, I said 'Oooo very Miami Vice' .... The rest of the crew yawned lolol

OMG so I'm watching the men's biking road race, fantastic views of London.... BUT they just filmed the bikers pulling over and peeing in the bushes!!!! Yeuk!!! Lololol

And Beckham in the speedboat going up the Thames with the glowing blue light called to mind MV too' date=' I said 'Oooo very Miami Vice' ..[/quote']I knew it reminded me of something, Chloe. Becks had the same cool vibe as Sonny :)It was an amazing night with lots of surprises - loved the music, so eclectic. Took the pictures below today - nearby Hadleigh Park are hosting the mountain biking so we've got a local monument now and also the Olympic banners are in Southend too (yes the gloomy British skies have returned lol)Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Oh yes.... Sonny as bad Burnett, with the slicked back hairdo! : ) Love the cyclist! Putting you on the map. Despite being on the coast nothing being held here, I think Portsmouth thought if bidding for the sailing but decided against it.

Oh yes.... Sonny as bad Burnett' date=' with the slicked back hairdo! : ) [/quote']OMG Lucky Victoria aka Posh Spice to have a hubby like that. He excelled himself last night in the looks department (do we have a swoon smilie gator?? If not we need one lol). Seriously though, he's a brilliant sporting ambassador for our country - a genuine, down to earth man not one of the footballers with an ego to match the size of their bank balance
Love the cyclist! Putting you on the map. Despite being on the coast nothing being held here' date=' I think Portsmouth thought if bidding for the sailing but decided against it.[/quote']Although it is being held locally, it didn't mean that people around here got an advantage to purchasing the tickets. My boss & his family are big fans and they could only get tickets for the try-out of the track a while ago. Going across North London tomorrow to see Warner Brothers' Harry Potter exhibit at Leavesden and we're dreading the journey as part of the M25 is only for those with special Olympic car passes. Booked it months ago forgetting the Games would be on :(

Brilliant opening ceremony.Already losing sleep watching the competitions.Hope anyone in Britain gets a chance to see an event or even get down to where they are being held and just go out and enjoy the atmosphere. In 2000 my wife and I saw the 85kg mens weight lifting. Am so glad we went to our own Olympics. And the atmosphere in Sydney late at night, back then, was the best I have ever experienced. Just a shame it could not be like that all the time.To all the British, on this site, congratualations and I hope you really enjoy your Olympic Games:thumbsup::cheers:

Brilliant opening ceremony.Already losing sleep watching the competitions.Hope anyone in Britain gets a chance to see an event or even get down to where they are being held and just go out and enjoy the atmosphere. In 2000 my wife and I saw the 85kg mens weight lifting. Am so glad we went to our own Olympics. And the atmosphere in Sydney late at night' date=' back then, was the best I have ever experienced. Just a shame it could not be like that all the time.To all the British, on this site, congratualations and I hope you really enjoy your Olympic Games:thumbsup::cheers:[/quote']Thanks Aussiefan : ) Today watched swimming and men's gymnastics. Shame Cavendish or Wiggins didn't rank in the road race but after the Tour de France they must be knackered!What's up with Phelps??? Crikey .... 4th!! Looks like there's a young pretender on the block!

Thanks for the Duran Duran link and your photos, Caroline. It must be really exciting to be near all the action. Simon was awesome.The opening ceremonies were truly a spectactle to behold - and no fake fireworks like with the Chinese show a few years back. What will I most remember about this wrap-up day? It will be that complete tool Lochte that spent all that time trash-talking about how Phelps was washed up, and then putting in his grill, yes, THAT kind of grill, after winning. Talk about lame. He said he's doing it to attract people to the sport, mm-hmm.O.k., to end on a positive note: I am going to go turn it on right now, and continue eating my steak. This steak is going to take me 3 days to eat, it is huge.

Thanks for the Duran Duran link and your photos' date=' Caroline. It must be really exciting to be near all the action. Simon was awesome.The opening ceremonies were truly a spectactle to behold - and no fake fireworks like with the Chinese show a few years back. O.k., to end on a positive note: I am going to go turn it on right now, and continue eating my steak. This steak is going to take me 3 days to eat, it is huge.[/quote']You're welcome, CageyJG! I think it'd be more exciting living in London closer to the action but we'll have a few days around here which should be exciting when the mountain racing starts. Considering I live in one of the most flat counties in England, having mountain biking here is a bit of a joke ... but the track is on the side of one of our only hills and it is in a fantastic spot overlooking the river Thames and the remains of the medieval Hadleigh castle. Will keep you posted. Yes, the fireworks were awesome!! Hope there wasn't as much smoke around when you cooked your large steak yesterday lol

Men's team bronze in the gymnastics : ) Bit if controversy, they had the silver in front of the Japanese but the Japanese appealed and had their score increased pushing the GBs back to bronze. Something to do with the Japanese guy dismount, looked like he fell off to me but he said it was an untidy dismount.Anyways 1st medal in men's gymnastics since 1912!!! Well done lads!!!

BLOODY amazing day!!!! SIX yes SIX GOLDS in one day... I soooo enjoyed that!! Jessica Ennis you are superwoman!

Well done. You guys also blitzed the rowing yesterday:clap::thumbsup:

It's been amazing today, this morning we had the drama with the guys boat breaking in the rowing and then them winning silver, and tonite has been amazing. You could feel the athletes being almost carried along by the crowd...

I loved hearing The Jam's "Going Underground" during the opening ceremonies.These UK Olympics give me a real flashback to when I went to the '84 Olympics in L.A....I went to see the US men's volleyball match against Brazil (I think that's who it was against), and who goes walking by me? None other then Mr. Magnum himself, Tom Selleck, a huge volleyball fan.Those '84 Olympics had an all pastel color theme which looked really cool.Another great memory is that my friend was contacted by someone a bit randomly (it's a long story) whose sister was swimming in the Olympics representing Great Britain. He didn't have much money, so he was looking for someone with whom he could stay with and not fork over the elevated cost of hotels. He asked my friend if he could stay with him, but my friends' folks weren't into it. So I was volunteered since my mom loved having people over.Sure enough, Tim Reid stayed with me and my mom for over a week and his sister hung out with us once she was done with her event. She got us into the Olympic village which was located around USC. Very, very cool. Great that you English folk are taking advantage of the Olympics while you can. Well worth the memories!ps: On a 'seven degrees of Miami Vice separation' note: Tim Reid was a budding graphic artist. He created a logo for a band called Huang Chung. No one could pronounce the band's name, so they changed it to Wang Chung. His work got the attention of one Jonny Lydon, who, of course, is the founder of PiL. Tim Reid designed a shirt that Lydon wore on the cover of one of his albums. At the end of the day, it all comes back to Miami Vice!