THE OFFICIAL UK OLYMPICS THREAD!!!!!

Chloe

I loved hearing The Jam's "Going Underground" during the opening ceremonies.These UK Olympics give me a real flashback to when I went to the '84 Olympics in L.A....I went to see the US men's volleyball match against Brazil (I think that's who it was against)' date=' and who goes walking by me? None other then Mr. Magnum himself, Tom Selleck, a huge volleyball fan.Those '84 Olympics had an all pastel color theme which looked really cool.[/quote']Cool story, Charlie. Was the match at the Long Beach Arena? I saw a volleyball game there too. It wasn't the US playing, though. It was Italy and someone else, I think. They had lots of events here in Long Beach: sailing in the harbor, archery at El Dorado Park, and volleyball. They also had rowing in the Marine Stadium which is on the other side of the marina where I live. I didn't live here at the time, but a neighbor told me lots of residents watched it from their balconies and had parties. How cool! I hope LA hosts the games again sometime.

I can't believe no one mentioned Rowan Atkinson's "performance" of the Chariot of Fire Theme in the opening ceremony! I love Bean and laughed so hard at that part.

I can't believe no one mentioned Rowan Atkinson's "performance" of the Chariot of Fire Theme in the opening ceremony! I love Bean and laughed so hard at that part.

Yes, along with the Queen and Bond they were the funniest bits. The opening ceremony has been criticised here for being too left Wing ( the creator is a labour party supporter) but I feel whoever or whatever they had done would have been criticised too, overall the majority enjoyed it.

I loved hearing The Jam's "Going Underground" during the opening ceremonies.These UK Olympics give me a real flashback to when I went to the '84 Olympics in L.A....I went to see the US men's volleyball match against Brazil (I think that's who it was against)' date=' and who goes walking by me? None other then Mr. Magnum himself, Tom Selleck, a huge volleyball fan.Those '84 Olympics had an all pastel color theme which looked really cool.Another great memory is that my friend was contacted by someone a bit randomly (it's a long story) whose sister was swimming in the Olympics representing Great Britain. He didn't have much money, so he was looking for someone with whom he could stay with and not fork over the elevated cost of hotels. He asked my friend if he could stay with him, but my friends' folks weren't into it. So I was volunteered since my mom loved having people over.Sure enough, Tim Reid stayed with me and my mom for over a week and his sister hung out with us once she was done with her event. She got us into the Olympic village which was located around USC. Very, very cool.Great that you English folk are taking advantage of the Olympics while you can. Well worth the memories!ps: On a 'seven degrees of Miami Vice separation' note: Tim Reid was a budding graphic artist. He created a logo for a band called Huang Chung. No one could pronounce the band's name, so they changed it to Wang Chung. His work got the attention of one Jonny Lydon, who, of course, is the founder of PiL. Tim Reid designed a shirt that Lydon wore on the cover of one of his albums. At the end of the day, it all comes back to Miami Vice![/quote']The pastel Olympics! Now there's theme! : ) and you're right...6 degrees of separation takes you right back to MV... Every time!! : )

BLOODY amazing day!!!! SIX yes SIX GOLDS in one day... I soooo enjoyed that!! Jessica Ennis you are superwoman!

Hey Chloe,Not that Ennis fits this description in any way (she rocks), but I read an article in Time Magazine, I think, that joked about the British only excelling in sports where you sit, such as rowing, sailing, equestrian, and others, and now cycling. I thought it was just a joke, but after doing a little research, the UK has won a lot of metals in these sports! Have you heard this or is it just another American act of arrogance. By the way, I've been excited to see the British fans losing a bit of their reserve and showing pride in their fantastic accomplishments. I have family cheering in Manchester and in County Durham.

Cool story' date=' Charlie. Was the match at the Long Beach Arena? I saw a volleyball game there too. It wasn't the US playing, though. It was Italy and someone else, I think. They had lots of events here in Long Beach: sailing in the harbor, archery at El Dorado Park, and volleyball. They also had rowing in the Marine Stadium which is on the other side of the marina where I live. I didn't live here at the time, but a neighbor told me lots of residents watched it from their balconies and had parties. How cool! I hope LA hosts the games again sometime.[/quote']Yep. Long Beach Arena for certain. I remember it being during the day. I coulda sworn it was the U.S. team I saw playing. I was (still sorta am) a huge volleyball fan and I can picture seeing Karch Kiraly playing along with Steve Timmons. But it could be creative memory making. And by the way, I think there were some bicycling events at Cal State Dominguez Hills. Not directly in Long Beach, but not too far up the 405.

Yep. Long Beach Arena for certain. I remember it being during the day. I coulda sworn it was the U.S. team I saw playing. I was (still sorta am) a huge volleyball fan and I can picture seeing Karch Kiraly playing along with Steve Timmons. But it could be creative memory making. And by the way' date=' I think there were some bicycling events at Cal State Dominguez Hills. Not directly in Long Beach, but not too far up the 405.[/quote']It's not your imagination. Kiraly and Timmons were on the team. I remember Timmons red hair. I'm a big volleyball fan, played in high school, and quite a bit on the beach back in the 90's. I went to many AVP events over the years and watched Kiraly and Kent Steffes. In the spirit of your Tom Selleck story, I met Wilt Chamberlain at the Long Beach Pyramid watching womens volleyball back when Misty May played for CSULB.CSU Dominguez Hills has the only velodrome for track cycling in the whole LA area, if I'm not mistaken, so that's where they held it.