Worst Episode Ever?

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

Lets face the home truths the show went a bit wayward because Michael Mann, the Executive Producer left, Nicollela, the writers, even the camera team. 

Edited by RedDragon86

Mann had precious little to do with the writing. Face that truth, too. Style and visuals, yes. But the writing was erratic with him and without him because it didn't matter to him that much. If it did, he would have written (or been involved with) more than one episode and maybe directed one. It's obvious he could do character arcs and development when he felt like it (Crime Story, anyone?), but clearly he didn't care that much about that side of Vice. If the "face" of Vice didn't care, why would anyone else on the production team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Mann had precious little to do with the writing. Face that truth, too. Style and visuals, yes. But the writing was erratic with him and without him because it didn't matter to him that much. If it did, he would have written (or been involved with) more than one episode and maybe directed one. It's obvious he could do character arcs and development when he felt like it (Crime Story, anyone?), but clearly he didn't care that much about that side of Vice. If the "face" of Vice didn't care, why would anyone else on the production team?

Agreed.  He wrote quite a few episodes of Crime Story and won an Emmy for writing  the TV movie The Jericho Mile and miniseries Drug Wars.  He wrote a lot and well early in his career but he just didn’t seem to focus on the writing on Miami Vice.

Recently watched Baseballs of Death and God's Work which I thought were some of the better S4 episodes but they really are trash.

"Running on the rocks" by Shriekback is a cool song though.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Vincent Hanna:

Recently watched Baseballs of Death and God's Work which I thought were some of the better S4 episodes but they really are trash.

This is the type of statement I don’t find useful in any discussion at all unless you tell us why do did not like it.

Don’t get me wrong- I accept your opinion even if I don’t share it regarding both episodes, but a nihilistic „the ep is crap. period“ should not be part of any discussion anywhere unless you simply want to bash against something you don’t like at all which is probably not the case with MV being a Long term member on a fan forum?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

He mattered because of his vision for the show and supervisor of episodes.

Michael Mann's input and advice on crime which he knows a lot about went along way, he wasn't just there for the visual's and style. Without him we wouldn't have had Dennis Farina, EJO and a lot of other actors who he knew personally. In my opinion he tweaked scripts and tidied them up. The touch of a top class filmmaker watching over the show, who in the same league as Scorsese or Tarantino is better than what Cooper or Wolf had to offer.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

But if he was looking at scripts, he’s also responsible for the bad ones and the character issues we’ve discussed. He doesn’t get a pass or just praise for the innovative stuff. Based on the show itself, I think he was far more interested in the visual side. This is even more obvious when you compare it to the control he exerted over Crime Story. 

Dick Wolf, for all his flaws, was involved in the scripts. Some good, some bad. But at least you can follow his involvement there. But the fact remains neither of them were good at continuity. Mann wanted continuity of style, not characters or plots. Again, compare this to Crime Story. Had he put that much effort into Vice it would have been a much better show...or a much more complete show.

Edited by Robbie C.