What is your 'must see' if you're going to Miami?

CharlieGlide

I'm planning a trip to Miami, probably in the next few months. Although I've been to Miami a couple times before, this trip would be a much more personal and homage-to-Vice driven voyage. Without getting into too much detail, let's just say it would be a very big deal for me with huge emotional ties that go beyond just my watching Vice as a past time.Every once in a while I think of what I want to see as far as Vice locations are concerned. I have some odd ball ideas, such as that small marina next to the condo in 'Phil the Shill' where Phil drives Sarah to (there's a long, overhead shot of Phil's car dropping her off).And I want to find that Chinese restaurant used in 'Golden Triangle.' Or that Thai restaurant in the same episode where Castillo gives the team the breakdown of what's going on, supposing that's an actual location and not a set.What would you look for? What is in your Top 5 of Vice locations, whether you've been to Miami or not? I'm interested in ALL answers, no matter how remote or slight. Thanks.

• Administrators
  • Downtown Miami w/Bayside Market Place, Freedom Tower...
  • Financial District (Brickell Avenue)
  • Little Havana
  • South Beach w/Art Déco District (OK, it's in Miami Beach)
  • Bill Baggs State Park with Cape Florida Lighthouse

Some very good answers but it is also very dependent on your personal feelings. For instance sitting in the same spot at the Evan gas station where C+T sat for their talk might be a big deal for some and not so much for others. I myself get joy being at any Vice location and remembering the scene. If it is from one of my favorite or more memorable episodes then it is even better. Sometimes a "smaller' scene may be a big thrill for me to be at the location because of the difficulty (and fun) of figuring out where it was filmed was great. Sometimes it is just the company your with while you are there. Locations like the Miami Marina where Crockett was based for most of the first two seasons are a good place to go because so many great scenes were filmed there and it is still recognizable. Watson Island for the same reason. Two that are close together and offer lots of great picture opportunnities are at the north tip of Virginia Key. You can still stand in the spot where the Daytona was blown up in the gravel pit, and about 200 yards away is the beach where Gina has her walk in When Irish Eyes Are Crying. Of course numerous other scenes are nearby. I strongly reccomend that you get organized though because that is key. Identify all the spots you definitely want to see and then organize them for the most efficent travel. You do not want to be running back and forth all over town wasting time. circles or straight line travel w/o backtracking will get you the most for your time. Be sure to check out my site and let me know if I can help.

I hope that I am not being too whimsical Charlie, but if PMT still lived there I would figure out a way to meet him and get a picture. I always wanted to be in a picture with him while he is pointing at the camera. Priceless! :D

Nice. That gives me an idea. You can always go to Aventura to the shops where they took all those publicity shots and stand where Tubbs stood and re-create the pose. The place is still painted the same exact colors. Check out the scrapbook pictures. I intend to go there on my next trip.

I've only been out of state to Nevada, and I want to get the hell out of California!Maybe one day, I'll make my way to Miami in Crockett's Daytona/Testarossa :D

Could try the swapmeet in Fort Lauradale on the way down where the guy with the TR is and has a few other cars in his collection along with a geniune daytona

mind you he isnt exactly the man with the best reputation but stillI'd say other than that try and find the location where they shot the ending scene of the pilot as they used that and the airport terminal there from the look of it many times throught the show including the ending.and maybe look around and see if they have any speedboat rental places, they got exotic car rentals so they might also do boats too.and maybe the dirt pit where they did the arms exchange in Irish eyse or the place where lombards boat was docked.

Great ideas, everyone. Some cool stuff I hadn't thought of. How great is it that I could go to the Aventura Mall and it looks the same?!Anyone know where I might find the place(s) Castillo or Crockett got their cafe cubanos. Or where that scene from "Shadow In the Dark" is where Castillo meets with Crockett and says, "Cancel the one"?Again, love these ideas. They are really helpful.

Locations like the Miami Marina where Crockett was based for most of the first two seasons are a good place to go because so many great scenes were filmed there and it is still recognizable.

CGlide: I thought this marina got wiped out in a hurricane. Is it easy to get the vantage point from where the St. Vitus Dance was docked? (Thinking about it, I think they had it docked in a couple different slips depending on the episode).

Great ideas' date=' everyone. Some cool stuff I hadn't thought of. How great is it that I could go to the Aventura Mall and it looks the same?!Anyone know where I might find the place(s) Castillo or Crockett got their cafe cubanos. Or where that scene from "Shadow In the Dark" is where Castillo meets with Crockett and says, "Cancel the one"?Again, love these ideas. They are really helpful.[/quote']not sure about that one, the one I've always been kind of interested in is that open cafe' he walks into in Killshot where the guy seemed to know who he was or knew that he was a cop. Looked like a really nice open place that I think was used once in S4 too.although that same Cafe, the one your talking about was used atleast twice in S3. once in shadow, the other in Knock Knock.

Figure out a way to get into the hot tub in the cut out section of the Atlantis Condominiums used in the opening!

This actually seems like a reasonable idea. I can be convincing when it comes to negotiating certain things. This would be one of those 'certain things.'

Are you kidding me about where these things are? Just check out my site mang. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.netThe marina has newer concrete docks but they are set up the same way and it is easy to go right to wherer Crockett was in the first two seasons. A short trip over to Watson Island brings you to the other major Vice Marina. Yes the cafe is still there, yall need to check out my site.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Are you kidding me about where these things are? Just check out my site mang. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.netThe marina has newer concrete docks but they are set up the same way and it is easy to go right to wherer Crockett was in the first two seasons. A short trip over to Watson Island brings you to the other major Vice Marina. Yes the cafe is still there' date=' yall need to check out my site.[/quote']And it is fantastic. Spend hours going through all the locations. Great stuff. Going to Miami in May, need to make my own list before then ;-)

Nice. That gives me an idea. You can always go to Aventura to the shops where they took all those publicity shots and stand where Tubbs stood and re-create the pose. The place is still painted the same exact colors. Check out the scrapbook pictures. I intend to go there on my next trip.

Aventura? You mean the pink arched b/g shots ? Where in Aventura the Mall - have you any more info I would love to visit when I am in Miami in the New Year :D

Awesomeness, CGilde. I was planning to seriously inspect your site as I get down to forming an actual checklist of the sights I want to see. I already have in the back of my mind to use it as the 'go to' source.I love that the cafe is still there. That is a must see for me. I already have visions as putting on a Castillo skinny tie and white shirt or some pastels and having a friend take a pic of me while there with a cafe cubano.

Good one. I bet there's still a couple people that work there left over from the Vice days. I'm going to pursue this one. I hadn't even really thought of it. Sometimes, the 'little people' are the ones with the best stories, such as the security guards or operations people. I just know there's someone at Greenwich with some tales o' Vice.

Aventura? You mean the pink arched b/g shots ? Where in Aventura the Mall - have you any more info I would love to visit when I am in Miami in the New Year :D

Yes' date=' go into Cooper&Burnett's Scrapbook and look in the Misc. Vice photos thread where I posted aerial shots and info. address etc, about this publicity photo shoot that was held on 03/23/1985 in Aventura. I am posting a link http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1951-MISCELLANEOUS-VICE-PHOTOS!!/page135 . There you will find detailed info as well as pictures that resulted from that shoot. Very cool, great place to go and same building as Phil The Shill filmed the parking lot scene where Enzo's black laquer was assaulted. I would love to see your re-creation pictures posing in the same places.

I know you said you didn't want to go into it, but the personal part of the voyage sounds really cool. Great minds think alike. Whether a transition or refreshing the mind, I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for. That said, I'm a bit behind on Vice lately, but you should take a side trip to the Keys. They were at least mentioned in the show, as well as The Everglades, which you can see also.

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?1951-MISCELLANEOUS-VICE-PHOTOS!!/page135 . There you will find detailed info as well as pictures that resulted from that shoot. Very cool, great place to go and same building as Phil The Shill filmed the parking lot scene where Enzo's black laquer was assaulted. I would love to see your re-creation pictures posing in the same places.

Fantastic so they shot some of the promo shots at The Big Splash in Aventura ( which is relatively unchanged ) and I cant find the promo shots though any link ?:D

Fantastic so they shot some of the promo shots at The Big Splash in Aventura ( which is relatively unchanged ) and I cant find the promo shots though any link ?:D

They are all over that thread in the link I posted Cooper and Burnett has a ton of them. Pretty much anything with a pink wall in the bg or colored columns. Read thru C&B's thread and you will see a couple dozen of them.