Why the "pony tail" for Burnett in "Hostile Takeover" and "Redemption In Blood"?

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

Whose idea was it that gave Sonny Burnett a pony tail in the last 2 episodes of the Sonny Burnett Arc "Hostile Takeover" and "Redemption In Blood"?[ATTACH=CONFIG]6911[/ATTACH]

It went with the whole "Burnett" persona; the sharp suited business man who no one should dare cross - it tidied his hair without having to get it cut (perhaps they were filming other scenes where he needed the longer hair and that would have played hell with continuity as they do not always shoot in sequence)JMHO

• Like 2

Great answer, Morgana....I never thought of those reasons. :thumbsup:I never liked guys with pony tails, but Don Johnson looks great! Especially with the suit. Makes him look like a guy you don't mess with!

• Like 1

Made Burnett look more like a bad guy. Created a different look from Crockett. Burnett would do a lot of things that Crockett would not do.

• Like 2

A great look - very fashionable for late 1988He also wore a ponytail in "Freefall" under his Panama Hat in the "Costa Morada "Scenes :thumbsup::D

• Like 2

Made Burnett look more like a bad guy. Created a different look from Crockett. Burnett would do a lot of things that Crockett would not do.

Definitely gave him a more edgy look, and that style was not all that uncommon in that time period among longer-haired men wearing suits. His suit, hair, and expression combined with the Blue Revos and he looked intensely bad.
  • Like 3

What? I never knew Crockett wore a pony tail in "Freefall".I'm going onto Episode 97 "Asian Cut", and when I get to "Freefall", I'll look at it

• 3 weeks later...

I must have missed this post and wanted to put my two cents in rather.These are the episodes I love from Vice and the way Sonny Burnett looks.With the ponytail it shows he is one BAD ASS not to mesh with.A lot of people don't like that look but I find it very,very sexy and that's why I am nuts for these episodes when he changes to Burnett.We just saw him recently sporting the ponytail again.I guess it comes to taste.Its my taste :pEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildA handsome man indeed ;)

• Like 1

Okay Alleycat - and you couldn't wave to post my KILLING PICTURE by Don !!!NICE ... very nice :hot:!I also are one of the viewers who were SHOCKED (:sick::sick::sick::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:) with the first views to Don with the ponytail.But that has changed!! EXTREMELY CHANGED !!!Today it is to me the only hairstyle which fits to the BAD BOY BURNETT and which gives him much more personification in this role.To show him only with well styled but open long blond hair...that has seemed not bad or hard - that has been RIDICULOUS !!!Love the BURNETT TRILOGIE very much !Shows a totally different Sonny - at least to the already sometimes burned out Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson ;)) in Season 5 at all.It is a bit weird... in this episodes it seems almost like Don could get back his own fun to act in MV...these are my two cents to that :cool:.And a wonderful pic more: Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 2

Hope I'm not deviating too much from topic here.Did you ever watch Star Trek's "Mirror Mirror" episode?Well, it's been since always my favorite Star Trek episode, because particularly when I was a kid I was always fascinated by the idea of "Parallel Universes" in movies/series etc. To remember it shortly, on this episode, there's a "glitch" between parallel universes so members of the Enterprise go to a parallel "evil" Enterprise and vice-versa. Funny, is that the "parallel" people are played by the same actors, but they have small visual differences (uniforms, hair and so on), not to mention the "moral" differences.I particularly think the goated "bad" Mr. Spock is unforgettable.Well, I always thought that the Burnett trilogy had a kind of link to Star Trek's "Mirror Mirror", especially the first episode of the trilogy, maybe not by chance with the title "Mirror Image". I don't think the link was "unconsciously" established by the writers. I suppose there's really a kind of deliberate "hommage", or maybe an "intertextuality" process in it.So, I think that, as in Star Trek, the visual differences were deliberately there to emphasize how the "doubles" look like each other, have equivalent qualities (the very same "fire" that made Crockett a good cop made Burnett a good "mob guy", and Star Trek's episodes had this line of thought too), but have a different nature. it's like comparing two frogs, one poisonous and the other not, then you suddenly see there's a difference comparing their skins...It's funny that Crockett seemed usually uncomfortable with ties, and Burnett used them nearly all the time. Crockett didn't use pony tail, had a loose messy pony tail on "Freefall", but Burnett had a tight "sober" pony tail at 5th season and even with no pony tail (at the end of the fourth season) his hair looked different than Crockett's (take a look at "Mirror Image", something's already changed).To sum up, I'm trying to say here that the visual differences were a powerful and inventive symbolic way to portrait the abysmal separation between the doubles, both in Miami Vice and in Star Trek.

• 7 months later...

Off hand, I'd say it would be so we knew we were seeing evil Sonny, much like a goatee on mirror universe Spock.:)

• 10 months later...

Sonny Crockett was always..."cool." Even as Sonny Burnett, especially with the suit & well-combed pony tail....he was still...."cool."

• Like 3

I kind of liked his pony tail as it gave him that "gansta" look with the Armani suits.

Another thing to remember ...it was the style back then. I had long hair like that as well and I also put mine in a pony tail occasionally.

I grew my hair quite long in the late 80's early 90's but when it came time to cut it off I braided it and actually saved my pony tait. I showed my daughter a while ago and she could not believe my hair was ever that long! It stayed braided in my treasure box all these years and my hair colour was also quite different that me present blonde style :)(some would call it grey...othesr white like Steve Martin, but I call it BLONDE!)

My saved pony tail is definitely dark brown

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, S.FL84 said:

I think the "Burnett" ponytail look was a pretty cool transition from Crockett's season 1 establishing character look.

Yes me too it worked perfectly and they were trendy late 1988. 

Crockett of course wore a ponytail in “Freefall” in ‘Costa Morada’ in some scenes.

I hope Vin Diesel goes ahead w/ the MV reboot using the original cast unlike the Magnum reboot which won't last more than 3 eps. before its cancelled from lack of viewership.  

On 6/22/2018 at 7:08 PM, S.FL84 said:

I hope Vin Diesel goes ahead w/ the MV reboot using the original cast unlike the Magnum reboot which won't last more than 3 eps. before its cancelled from lack of viewership.  

You think the new Magnum reboot will be cancelled immediately ?

I notice the “Lethal  Weapon” and “Dynasty” reboots both have been renewed for next season- so all is not lost.

I don't see the reboot of MPI making it past 3-5 eps., if that.  You simply can't recapture that magic UNLESS you  use the original cast.  Which they stupidly chose not to use when their all alive, capable and willing to do it.  LW or Dynasty I didn't watch the first time around why should I start now? 

The ^ same holds true for MV.

• Administrators

The funny thing is how quickly it became a fashion fad.  Men everywhere were wearing ponytails faster than they lost their socks!

yeah it was a brief trend around 88'. Plus his hair was longer than season 1 and 2 when it was slicked back, so it suited the length.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, S.FL84 said:

I don't see the reboot of MPI making it past 3-5 eps., if that.  You simply can't recapture that magic UNLESS you  use the original cast.  Which they stupidly chose not to use when their all alive, capable and willing to do it.  LW or Dynasty I didn't watch the first time around why should I start now? 

The ^ same holds true for MV.

I've only seen the trailer but I don't like that much. One redeeming feature though, Magnum still seems to carry a 1911 ;)

-J

I'm just glad I own seasons 1 & 2 dvd and I can watch them whenever I want.  As unrealistic & cheesy as MV was at times when it struck a tone of relevance with its music and how people were really feeling & thinking in 1984-85 it was pure gold.