Gettin' pumped for The Boss' new album...

Lar

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge Springsteen fan, and I'm seriously getting pumped not only for the new album (Working on a Dream) coming out January 27th, but also his Super Bowl Halftime Show, as well as the almost-certain following tour (I missed him last year when he came to Cleveland, and with my job's futur uncertain, I'm keeping my finger's crossed I can see him this year).Eingefügtes Bild(Yeah, the artwork's pretty bad, I'll admit).Is anyone else here a Bruce fan? Anyone heard the title track on the radio (not a fantastic song, it is a pleasant little pop number, a little reminiscent of the "Human Touch" album, which is not a good sign, but I'll remain optimistic). I just downloaded the free Amazon download of "Life Itself", and I'm going to listen to it as soon as I finish a live Bruce bootleg I've been working on. So, anyway, Am I alone here? Anybody else excited besides me (and probably, hopefully, Viceman Cometh)? If not, we could always let this be the all-purpose Bruce thread, I'm dying for a place to talk Springsteen (I've been to the Backstreets.com forum, it's fun to read, but there seems to be too many a*sholes there for me to join).

Yeah, that was me in my anticpation over Magic (or had it already been released? I don't remember). Good to know you're a fan, Sredd! I love TOL as well, a phenomenal album and about as close as Bruce got to a full-fledged concept album, rather than simply heavily thematic (IMO).

Very good, an excellent album. "Radio Nowhere" is an instant rockin' classic, "Livin' in the Future" is good as well. A lot of the songs I sort of ran hot-and-cold on the first time around have become my favorites from the album now, the album gets better each listen. "I'll Work For Your Love", the title track, "Last To Die", and "Long Walk Home" are all superb, IMO. "Girls in Their Summer Clothes", which I loved after initial hearings, doesn't hold up as well for me now, but that's just my ears, it's still a good song.People tend to complain about the mixing and loudness of the CD version (I did find the vinyl copy, though I kept it sealed for collector's purposes), but to this audiophile lightweight, it sounds okay.Rolling Stone stated it was his best album since The River. I wouldn't go quite that far, as that excludes Nebraska (which I'm about to run through again, one of my absolute favorite albums), Born in the U.S.A. and Tunnel of Love, all of which are superior to Magic. It is the best album since Tunnel of Love, however (though The Rising is d*mn good, though I admittedly haven't spent a whole lot of time with that one, and Lucky Town is severely underrated). All IMO, of course.

Yep, Lar, I'm waiting right there with you. Magic didn't knock my socks off, but the guy's a master. Nebraska and Tunnel of Love are my faves. And I listened to Tracks for two days straight in the office last week.

Yep' date=' Lar, I'm waiting right there with you. Magic didn't knock my socks off, but the guy's a master. Nebraska and Tunnel of Love are my faves. And I listened to Tracks for two days straight in the office last week.[/quote']Oh man, Tracks is a masterwork. Discs 1 and 2 are worth the price alone. He really should have put Held Up Without A Gun and the original version of The Promise on, but those are minor nitpicks. Living on the Edge of the World instantly shot into the "instant classic" pile (interesting how lines from both State Trooper and Open All Night show up in it, though I believe it was recorded 2-3 years prior to Nebraska).Nebraska is the second real album of his I bought, and I despite the fact that it's certainly up my alley, I didn't really like it right away (I had listened to Born To Run for the first time only a few days before, and they couldn't be more different albums). It took a little time to grow on me, but d*mn, that whole record is just brilliant. The title track, for sure, but State Trooper I feel is genuinely frightening.

I sooooo wish i could see him live' date=' but tickets for his concerts always go in 10 minutes! :thumbsdown:[/color']

Yeah, if it turns out that I'll be able to see him this year, I'll have to act fast. I'm still regretting missing the Cleveland show last year (a boot of it showed up at a local music shop a few months later, so I could hear what I missed: a d*mn good show).Still, I don't recall that particular show selling out real fast, I believe I did check out ticket prices well after they went on sale, but I could be thinking of something else.

We saw him back during the Tunnel of Love tour....my husband won tickets thru work and we went to what was then the Capital Center in DC...very cool. I have to admit I wasn't much of a fan until that show...4 hours ladies and gentlemen... 4 hours later and he was still playing! It was incredible...I am still quite picky about my Springsteen...I just don't like all of it just cuz it's Bruce...I love Tunnel of Love, Born in the USA and I actually liked some of Human Touch..it was rocking and then The Rising well, the Rising was very sentimental and dark..but good for the time it was recorded and where we were as a society then.. And who could not like Born to Run - I remember my husband was so disappointed - at the concert he preformed it acoustically..bummer...there is a great deal of good stuff that's true and he's a master...looking forward to the Superbowl 1/2 time show....Happy New Year allPeace,Cbreze

I actually liked some of Human Touch

Yeah, it's Bruce's weakest album, but there are some good tracks. Aside from guilty pleasures like 57 Channels and Roll of the Dice, the title track, Soul Driver, With Every Wish, I Wish I Were Blind, and Man's Job are all genuinely good. Still not his strongest material (and Real Man is easily the worst song he's released, though a couple tracks from his debut are down there too), but the "Other Band" albums tend to get a bad rap that's not entirely deserved (not that I regret him reuniting E Street).

Hey Lar, I've been gorging myself on Born to Run for the past few days. Although it's one of his iconic albums, it's one that I haven't listened to that much. In the past I'd just been unable to relate to it, like it was an album for that crazy stoner uncle who'd come of age in the 70s. But I re-watched the 30th anniversary doc, and started playing the album again. Now, nearly 35 years after its release, I'm finally starting to appreciate it. What clinched it for me was when, in the documentary, Bruce described it as a series of stories all taking place on the same long summer night. That seemed to make it easier for me to digest the album in smaller pieces instead of being overwhelmed by the bigness of it all.What's really strange is that I'm finding many of the themes of feeling trapped and needing to escape -- written by a 24 year old man -- are resonating with me at the age of 37.If you haven't seen "Wings for Wheels," I think you'd get a kick out of it. Just the breakdown of all the instruments used on the album's title song are a revelation.

Hey Lar' date=' I've been gorging myself on Born to Run for the past few days. Although it's one of his iconic albums, it's one that I haven't listened to that much. In the past I'd just been unable to relate to it, like it was an album for that crazy stoner uncle who'd come of age in the 70s. But I re-watched the 30th anniversary doc, and started playing the album again. Now, nearly 35 years after its release, I'm finally starting to appreciate it. What clinched it for me was when, in the documentary, Bruce described it as a series of stories all taking place on the same long summer night. That seemed to make it easier for me to digest the album in smaller pieces instead of being overwhelmed by the bigness of it all.What's really strange is that I'm finding many of the themes of feeling trapped and needing to escape -- written by a 24 year old man -- are resonating with me at the age of 37.If you haven't seen "Wings for Wheels," I think you'd get a kick out of it. Just the breakdown of all the instruments used on the album's title song are a revelation.[/quote']I have the 30th Anniversary set, but I only ever opened the remastered disc to go cruising with (though I have seen bits of Hammersmith here and there, and I do have the CD version of that, as well as a chopped up, pre-30th Ann. bootleg DVD. Great show, but they'd have been even better off releasing a concert where Bruce was in a better mood, IMO. Maybe a Bottom Line show?).Born To Run is an album I instantly loved, but it took more than one listen for me to realize just how phenomenal it really is (and for it to really 'speak' to me, as well). The pace, the lyrics, the flow, it all fits together so well. I've heard the one summer day concept before, and I love that aspect (I'm a sucker for concept or thematic albums in the first place). Originally, Bruce intended to open with an acoustic Thunder Road (maybe like the one he opened Hammersmith with? I always found that version just incredible) and close it with the full-band version. That idea really appeals to me, but it's hard to complain when Jungleland ends the album on such a perfect, anguished note.I listened to Nebraska again last night before going to sleep. Hearing that album in the dark at almost 2 AM is an experience. State Trooper, probably my favorite track on there, sends chills down your spine, especially when Bruce just screams as the track fades out. I'll probably listen to it again tonight, and then either switch it out for disc 2 of The River or put on a vinyl copy of The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle.

Undoubtedly three of the greatest albums ever: The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Suffle, Born To Run, and Darkness On The Edge Of Town. I was trying to upload pics of the albums, but for some reason, they won't show up.

Watching The Golden Globe Awards, Bruce just won for his song in "The Wrestler".During his acceptance speech he said happy birthday to Clarence Clemons.

Yep, saw it. Loved his joke about being in the same category as Clint Eastwood.While I haven't personally heard anything except the title track and "Life Itself", a lot of views of the new album (much of which is available as MP3 downloads or leaks) is that it's pretty good. "Outlaw Pete" is eight minutes long and supposedly epic. I've heard it's supposed to be the new "Jungleland", and while that's a pretty big order (IMO impossible to fill), I'm looking forward to it. The guy at my music shop said they should have copies in the Friday before it's release. He took my number and said he'd give me a call then; Can't wait!

You talking Scott from Time Traveler or do you have a new hook up? Will they be in the racks Fri or do you have to be on the list -- cuz I may check this out myself!

You talking Scott from Time Traveler or do you have a new hook up? Will they be in the racks Fri or do you have to be on the list -- cuz I may check this out myself!

It's Time Traveler, but I don't think it was Scott, it was the guy who works weekends (I know them and they know me, but not really on a first name basis). I don't think WOAD will be out that Friday, I worded that wrong in my last post. I just asked if they were doing a pre-order thing (to make sure I could get it first day and support them at the same time) and the guy told me they should be getting their shipment in the Friday before the release date and that he'd give me a call then. I'm going to stop in this weekend and check to make sure.

Anyone see the Pre-Inaugural concert on HBO today? The Boss, U2, Stevie Wonder, and others did a free concert and HBO aired it for free too. Even if you don't have HBO, its been free all weekend if you have cable or satalite. They're re-airing the concert at 7PM tonight. It will also be on HBO west at 10PM :radio: