Episode #85 "Hell Hath No Fury"

Ferrariman

On 6/19/2013 at 12:29 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I seem to be in the "minority" with my feelings for this episode...but that's okay, that's never stopped me before. ;)I really enjoy this one. It's bizarre, suspenseful, it has Hitchcock like plot twists (especially the end), and I thought the woman playing Ellen Mason did a terrific job! :clap: I will admit that the Vice squad dealing with a rape case is somewhat unrealistic...but did we ever really know why Trudy was originally dealing with Ellen and Beaks? Maybe Beaks was into drugs or prostitutes and they were already watching him. Come to find out he's also a rapist who rapes Ellen and somehow Trudy gets to know and care for her...or maybe Ellen is a friend of Trudy's and Trudy wants to be involved with the case to help Ellen--Vice members had been loaned out to other departments in other episodes.The colors and fashion in this one were awesome!! :clap: The pastels...with the pinks in Ellen's house, teal and pink on the buildings and outside railings, to Crockett's teal jacket and pink shirt were all-out "MV" for sure! :glossy:I will say, however, that early on Olivia Brown did seem to overact somewhat in a few scenes. One example of this is when she's talking with Castillo in his office and she says with way too much force and drama: "He's coming after her again...I can feel it!!". :rolleyes: But, I did like another of her responses to Castillo: "Great, and Hitler loved dogs and kids too." :wink: I don't think that Beaks was rehabilitated...he was still a low-life, as Crockett described him. But, I don't think he was this scheming, psychopath that Ellen made him out to be...he wasn't intelligent enough for that. But, you still feel for Ellen and what she went through. She was right, all of those facets she mentioned "raped" her in some form or manner...whether literally or figuratively. ;( The ending was wild and unexpected, and I like things like that...very "Hitchcockian". ;) I've always wondered who the "phone psycho" was :eek: ...it wasn't Beaks, like we thought it was. This one was purposely started out to make you think it was going to be predictable...then they pull the rug out from under you and shock you with plot twists you never saw coming. I guess it was just some whacked-out fan of the whole trial and case, that was obsessed with blaming Ellen for what happened to Beaks. The shootout was awesome too. Not the best episode of Season 4...but still an interesting and enjoyable one. I like it and I gave it an 8! :thumbsup:

Sorry, guys...I disagree. I’m probably in the minority with my thoughts on this one, but as I said in my original review—I don’t care. ;) This is my original review above, and I still stand behind it. :thumbsup: 

5 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Sorry, guys...I disagree. I’m probably in the minority with my thoughts on this one, but as I said in my original review—I don’t care. ;) This is my original review above, and I still stand behind it. :thumbsup: 

Great review! There is definitely substance in this story, but the absence of music and other quintessential MV elements of style are the real deal breakers for me on this one. There again, lots of other episodes would be flat for me without them, too. So I guess it’s not so much what is there, but more what isn’t for me. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Great review! There is definitely substance in this story, but the absence of music and other quintessential MV elements of style are the real deal breakers for me on this one. There again, lots of other episodes would be flat for me without them, too. So I guess it’s not so much what is there, but more what isn’t for me. 

True, the music element wasn’t present in this episode...but I thought the color-scheme & pastels were definitely there. I agree there are other episodes that would be somewhat flat without the MV “ingredients”. ;) But, I didn’t think this was one. I thought the “dark” & more realistic aspect of the plot, the chance for Trudy to shine & Olivia Brown’s performance, and as I said the colors all made this one worth it, even if it wasn’t a “traditional” MV episode. 

• Like 2

I will never get tired of looking at Trudy on MV, and that’s pretty much all I do if I ever watch this or “Missing Hours”. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I will never get tired of looking at Trudy on MV, and that’s pretty much all I do if I ever watch this or “Missing Hours”. :) 

Trudy is awesome & so is Gina. But Trudy or not...I can’t stand Missing Hours! :evil: Worst episode of any show in TV history!! :wuerg:  Dutch Oven & Hell Hath No Fury are much better “Trudy” episodes. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Missing Hours? I mean, I gotta go with the lean here man, like ViceFanMan said I can agree of never getting tired at lookin' at Trudy too but Missing Hours...oh man....ohhhh man. I've seen divorces more interesting than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Missing Hours? I mean, I gotta go with the lean here man, like ViceFanMan said I can agree of never getting tired at lookin' at Trudy too but Missing Hours...oh man....ohhhh man. I've seen divorces more interesting than that.

Trudy was soo fine in the episode.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

If you’re talking about Missing Hours, agree! ;) 

Sorry, referring to "Hell Hath No Fury"     "Missing Hours" is a joy compared to that one.   Mostly because it was one of Jan Hammer's last scores. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Sorry, referring to "Hell Hath No Fury"     "Missing Hours" is a joy compared to that one.   Mostly because it was one of Jan Hammer's last scores. 

By all means...to each his or her own. ;) But completely disagree! Even with Trudy and it being one of the last times Hammer’s score was used...Missing Hours is a travesty, tragedy, and a disgrace to the art of television! :sick: I’d even watch Cows of October over Missing...and it’s basically not far behind Missing. :p Why did they have to use Missing as a last Hammer-score episode?? ?( 

By no means is it the best episode of Season 4...but Hell Hath No Fury is a fairly solid and interesting episode...a little “deviation” from the typical episode, but in a psychologically-twisted, captivating way. But, everyone has their opinions on which episodes were good or not—but I’m assuming we all acknowledge & agree the show was one of the best & most iconic ever! :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Why did they have to use Missing as a last Hammer-score episode?? ?( 

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

one of Jan Hammer's last scores. 

“Mirror Image” was the last. ;(

edit: oops you said “a last”. Agreed—wish there would have been more good episodes with JH scores for sure. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

“Mirror Image” was the last. ;(

Didn’t know that...good to know! At least Missing wasn’t the actual last one! :p 

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m assuming we all acknowledge & agree the show was one of the best & most iconic ever! :thumbsup: 

Well they say never assume but in this case,  that's a big 10-4!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

"Liberalism out of control"

That would have been a better title.

Are we really going to bring politics into this now?.... Cryin' out loud.

• Haha 2

The writing was just so bad, I mean apparently it is OK for someone to rape you as long as he is charming and good looking.

The attitude of the women on the talk show was beyond ridiculous, it was like something out of "The Running Man" It felt like the public were living in an dystopian society.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The writing was just so bad, I mean apparently it is OK for someone to rape you as long as he is charming and good looking.

The attitude of the women on the talk show was beyond ridiculous, it was like something out of "The Running Man" It felt like the public were living in an dystopian society.

The ironic aspect of this part of the episode is it was ahead of it’s time. 30 years ago it kind of had you going, what?? But, sadly today this mind-set or way of dealing with crime & people’s rights is becoming more the ‘norm’. :( The writing was actually spot-on in showing where our society was eventually headed. I agree...“Liberalism Out of Control” would be an ‘accurate’ title for sure :)...although it would never be considered ‘politically correct’ (which is a polite way of saying no morals, no conscience, but I shouldn’t have any consequences). :p 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don’t know why so many people hate this one. I’ve always liked it since the first time I saw it! Very fun episode with a spooky ending! I don’t really do ratings, but I’ll say I like it and approve it for repeated viewings! This is even one of those episodes I showed my wife because I thought she’d find it interesting! She’s still not much of a fan, but at least she’s tolerant of my Vice addiction! :) The one episode I showed her that she DID really like was “Definitely Miami”. She even downloaded Godley & Creme’s “Cry” shortly after! :radio:

I’m glad @ViceFanMan likes this one!

• Like 1