Episode #85 "Hell Hath No Fury"

Ferrariman

2 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I don’t know why so many people hate this one. I’ve always liked it since the first time I saw it! Very fun episode with a spooky ending! I don’t really do ratings, but I’ll say I like it and approve it for repeated viewings! This is even one of those episodes I showed my wife because I thought she’d find it interesting! She’s still not much of a fan, but at least she’s tolerant of my Vice addiction! :) The one episode I showed her that she DID really like was “Definitely Miami”. She even downloaded Godley & Creme’s “Cry” shortly after! :radio:

I’m glad @ViceFanMan likes this one!

I’ve never been able to figure out why some dislike this one either? ?(  It’s got a superb freaky, psychologically dark plot that I thought gave a somewhat realistic view into victims of stalking & emotional torment—as well as an early view of the unintelligent, trashy, despicable methods or styles of so-called “reality” TV. 

I never go by ratings or critics either...most of those are inaccurate, and the people are paid to say whatever (whether good or bad) about the show or movie. I will view whatever it is, and I will decide if it’s good or bad. Lots of times I will agree with other fans on which episodes we like (even if the reasons are different), but once in a while people will disagree...and “Hell Hath No Fury” is one I think is awesome & I disagree with several other MV fans about...to each his or her own, but I stand by my views! ;) :done:

I thought the plot was suspenseful & captivating, the performances by all were awesome, and talk about a creepy, wild ending that leaves you wondering...was there a “real” psycho stalking Ellen & she was mistaken before, or was this a copy-cat, or maybe it was all in her head? I don’t truly know! This is one of my favorites of the season, and I enjoy it every time I go through the show! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As stated before, I really enjoy this episode! I just rewatched it last night. However, I forgot about the little things that bug me. For one, they knew damn well Ellen hired the mercenary as she circled adds in the magazine and they tracked the killer down. I know she was a victim, but that doesn’t make her action right. At the end of the episode, they made it sound like they didn’t have hardly any evidence against her. :radar: Also, Trudy seems over the top in several scenes. Of course, we see Crockett freak out more often, but it just seemed odd for Trudy’s character.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

As stated before, I really enjoy this episode! I just rewatched it last night. However, I forgot about the little things that bug me. For one, they knew damn well Ellen hired the mercenary as she circled adds in the magazine and they tracked the killer down. I know she was a victim, but that doesn’t make her action right. At the end of the episode, they made it sound like they didn’t have hardly any evidence against her. :radar: Also, Trudy seems over the top in several scenes. Of course, we see Crockett freak out more often, but it just seemed odd for Trudy’s character.

There are a couple scenes where Trudy overacted...I’m pretty sure I can think of one scene you’re referring to, lol! ;) But, it was still 80s TV. :dance: 

As for Ellen and not charging her...yes, they knew she was thinking about trying to hire a mercenary, but I also think they understood where she was coming from—even though wrong. She had suffered physically and psychologically enough already. They stopped the assassin, her original psycho-stalker was dead, and other than the ‘circled’ magazine ads, there wasn’t much actual evidence to take to court.

I’m still questioning whether the psycho tormenting Ellen on the phone at the end was real & a copy-cat...or if poor Ellen had finally ‘lost’ it and it was only in her mind?? ?( 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

There are a couple scenes where Trudy overacted...I’m pretty sure I can think of one scene you’re referring to, lol! ;) But, it was still 80s TV. :dance: 

As for Ellen and not charging her...yes, they knew she was thinking about trying to hire a mercenary, but I also think they understood where she was coming from—even though wrong. She had suffered physically and psychologically enough already. They stopped the assassin, her original psycho-stalker was dead, and other than the ‘circled’ magazine ads, there wasn’t much actual evidence to take to court.

I’m still questioning whether the psycho tormenting Ellen on the phone at the end was real & a copy-cat...or if poor Ellen had finally ‘lost’ it and it was only in her mind?? ?( 

You are right. There were many times in the series people got away with crimes for lack of evidence or etc. I think this happens in life quite often too. I still feel very bad for her. Reminds me of poor Rita Amato from “No Exit”. They both felt they had no other option than hiring a mercenary.

Yes, that ending is a mystery! Could be a copycat or a delusion/hallucination... Personally, I like that it’s kept a mystery! Very spooky ending!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

You are right. There were many times in the series people got away with crimes for lack of evidence or etc. I think this happens in life quite often too. I still feel very bad for her. Reminds me of poor Rita Amato from “No Exit”. They both felt they had no other option than hiring a mercenary.

Yes, that ending is a mystery! Could be a copycat or a delusion/hallucination... Personally, I like that it’s kept a mystery! Very spooky ending!

Sadly...the ‘law’ didn’t help either Rita or Ellen, and that’s why they chose to try and hire assassins. It was wrong & ultimately they paid the price (literally & figuratively) for their actions—even if it wasn’t actual jail.

Ellen’s case got so much media attention that I tend to lean towards a copy-cat stalker wanting to integrate himself into the case & get attention for himself...but it could be she created it in her mind?? I too like the mystery of not knowing...ads to the creepiness and suspense! 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

There are no bad Vice episodes, not really . . . why we're here. :)

There was excellent suspense--did Ellen hire the hit man or not--the great conversation between the hitter and Crockett, "1st Cav... that's gotta count for something . . . " and Trudy taking down the bad guy who took down the bad guy . . . the "is he dead?" look after T&Sonny put three bullets in him and he fell down the staircase . . .

This episode with its media circus and a politicized parole officer, etc. feels more relevant today. Tubbs's suggestion to not have a black woman assault her white rapist is very well done--and relevant--too.

10 years from now, you'll give this one a 10, trust me. Right now, it's a 9+ only. ;)

Edited by FlemFan
  • Like 1

And Castillo being coolly logical with the judge? C'mon! "All due respect, your honor, I think the judicial system would survive," then pulling Switek and Gina off the pursuit they continue on their "lunch hour"--for the Lt. to reprimand everyone to close the episode? C'mon!

On 7/31/2020 at 11:01 PM, AndrewRemington said:

I was wondering they other day do you think Rita knew Tony was government protected and failed to mention it to Metro Dade?

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2020 at 11:16 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I’ve never been able to figure out why some dislike this one either? ?(  It’s got a superb freaky, psychologically dark plot that I thought gave a somewhat realistic view into victims of stalking & emotional torment—as well as an early view of the unintelligent, trashy, despicable methods or styles of so-called “reality” TV. 

I never go by ratings or critics either...most of those are inaccurate, and the people are paid to say whatever (whether good or bad) about the show or movie. I will view whatever it is, and I will decide if it’s good or bad. Lots of times I will agree with other fans on which episodes we like (even if the reasons are different), but once in a while people will disagree...and “Hell Hath No Fury” is one I think is awesome & I disagree with several other MV fans about...to each his or her own, but I stand by my views! ;) :done:

I thought the plot was suspenseful & captivating, the performances by all were awesome, and talk about a creepy, wild ending that leaves you wondering...was there a “real” psycho stalking Ellen & she was mistaken before, or was this a copy-cat, or maybe it was all in her head? I don’t truly know! This is one of my favorites of the season, and I enjoy it every time I go through the show! :thumbsup:

The story is ridiculous and unrealistic, the fact the public was basically siding with a rapist and the way the a tabloid show network camped outside of her house was comical. Let's see how that would have worked in real life, having a convicted rapist goading his victim outside of her house. 

Did the American public lose their mind over night in this episode?

Edited by RedDragon86

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

The story is ridiculous and unrealistic, the fact the public was basically siding with a rapist and the way the a tabloid show network camped outside of her house was comical. Let's see how that would have worked in real life, having a convicted rapist goading his victim outside of her house. 

Did the American public lost their mind over night in this episode?

This episode was actually maybe a little ahead of its time in some ways. Back in the 80s, you might have been right (although I think it was showing the “down-slide” of & where society was starting to head)...but sadly today I can totally see this happening! Society now seems to want or try to side with anything immoral, or the proverbial “bad-guy”, just because they know they shouldn’t or don’t like being told no. Maybe this one seemed more ridiculous back then...but it sadly seems much more relevant now when I watch this episode. 

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

This episode was actually maybe a little ahead of its time in some ways. Back in the 80s, you might have been right (although I think it was showing the “down-slide” of & where society was starting to head)...but sadly today I can totally see this happening! Society now seems to want or try to side with anything immoral, or the proverbial “bad-guy”, just because they know they shouldn’t or don’t like being told no. Maybe this one seemed more ridiculous back then...but it sadly seems much more relevant now when I watch this episode. 

They had an idea but over stretched it and turned out silly even for today's standards of TV.

It felt like you watching parts of "The Running Man"

Edited by RedDragon86

24 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

They had an idea but over stretched it and turned out silly even for today's standards of TV.

It felt like you watching parts of "The Running Man"

It’s sad and ridiculous that people stoop that low...but, sadly its not silly or unbelievable by today’s standards. This could totally happen with today’s society. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is another Season 4 one I actually really like. I possibly may be in the "minority" with my feelings for this episode...but that's okay, that's never stopped me before. ;) 

I really enjoy this one. It's bizarre, suspenseful, it has Hitchcock like plot twists (especially the end), and I thought the woman playing Ellen Mason did a terrific job! :clap: I will admit that the Vice squad dealing with a rape case is somewhat unrealistic...why was the OCB involved?

But, did we ever really know why Trudy was originally dealing with Ellen and Beaks? Maybe Beaks was into drugs or prostitutes and they were already watching him. Come to find out he's also a rapist who rapes Ellen and somehow Trudy gets to know and care for her...or maybe Ellen is a friend of Trudy's and Trudy wants to be involved with the case to help Ellen--Vice members had been loaned out to other departments in other episodes.

The colors and fashion in this one were awesome!! :clap: The pastels...with the pinks in Ellen's house, teal and pink on the buildings and outside railings, to Crockett's teal jacket and pink shirt were all-out MV for sure! :glossy:

I will say, however, that early on Olivia Brown did seem to overact somewhat in a few scenes. One example of this is when she's talking with Castillo in his office and she says with way too much force and drama: "He's coming after her again...I can feel it!!". :rolleyes: But, I did like another of her responses to Castillo: "Great, and Hitler loved dogs and kids too." ;) I also liked the fact of Trudy pointing out to the rest of the team (especially Crockett & Tubbs) that they have helped out people they cared for & they would do the same thing!

I don't think that Beaks was rehabilitated...he was still a low-life, as Crockett described him. But, I don't think he was this scheming, psychopath that Ellen made him out to be...he wasn't intelligent enough for that. But, you still feel for Ellen and what she went through...and what she’s currently going through! She was right, all of those facets (Beaks, the courts, the media, etc...) she mentioned "raped" her in some form or manner...whether literally or figuratively. ;( 

The ending was wild and unexpected, and I like things like that...very "Hitchcockian"! I've always wondered who the "phone psycho" was :eek: ...it wasn't Beaks, like we initially were made to think it was. This one purposely started out to make you think it was going to be predictable...then they pull the proverbial rug out from under you, and shock you with plot twists you never saw coming.

I know this aspect has been brought up & discussed before—whether Ellen’s stalker was really another psycho...or was it actually all in her mind, and there really was no one still after her? I do think Beaks raped Ellen initially, and was a sexual predator (which do not get “rehabilitated”). But, obviously he isn’t who’s stalking & tormenting Ellen now. 

As for who the current stalker was...maybe it all was in Ellen’s mind, and with all the stress, harassment, and cruelty of the media & Beaks getting out & trying to contact her, she ‘lost-it’ and created a new psycho. But...let’s not forget that Trudy answered a call or two at Ellen’s where there was some weirdo on the other end. He never said anything, but there was the “stereotypical” heavy breathing, and there was obviously someone there.

So, in my opinion I actually don’t think it was Ellen making it up. I do think someone else was now obsessed with & stalking her. Who? It could have very well been some whacked-out fan of the whole trial and case, that was obsessed with blaming Ellen for what happened to Beaks. Sadly the media loves to “glorify” and glamorize violence, perversion, and evil...and has become a twisted playground for a lot of sickos out there. 

For the 80s, an episode of TV with the idea of society, media, talk shows, etc...taking Beaks side & making Ellen out to be non-understanding & ‘mean’, might have been a little ahead of its time. But, at that time society was starting to head that way...and I think this episode was a way to show that. Sadly, nowadays & in current times I can totally see this happening...and I think has many times. :o This episode is sadly more relevant now in 2021, than in 1988. 

But, this episode also had good action, and the shootout was awesome too! I love the plot twists, acting performances, “bizarreness”, and suspense! I originally gave it an 8, but I’d bump it up to an 8.5-9 if I could! :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

The main actress was terrible and so was the whole thing.

Another contribution to MV decline. 

Sorry...but I have to completely disagree. I thought the actress playing Ellen was very good, and felt for her. The episode was an “early” indication of where our society & media were heading in real life, and the plot twists and suspense were awesome! :dance2: 

There had already been a couple-few episodes contributing to the show’s decline (which in my opinion did not include this one)...and sadly there were more to follow towards & including the end of the season. ;)

Edited by ViceFanMan

12 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Sorry...completely disagree. I thought the actress playing Ellen was very good, and felt for her. The episode was an “early” indication of where our society & media were heading in real life, and the plot twists and suspense were awesome! :dance2:

She could not act, the story was ridiculous.

Edited by RedDragon86

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

She was awkward and rubbush, my god you like this turd? 

Rubbish is episodes like “Amen” or “Cows”...utter garbage is ones like “Viking Bikers” or “Miracle Man”—& the ultimate turd is “Missing”!

Ellen was definitely not ‘awkward’...very scared, unhappy, and “attacked” by many for many different reasons. She made the wrong choice to try and have Beaks killed...but I understand why she went that route. 

Rubbish is episodes like “Amen” or “Cows”...utter garbage is ones like “Viking Bikers” or “Miracle Man”—& the ultimate turd is “Missing”!

Ellen was definitely not ‘awkward’...very scared, unhappy, and “attacked” by many for many different reasons. She made the wrong choice to try and have Beaks killed...but I understand why she went that route. 

Viking Bikers sounds like a better night in. That was a ridiculous episode. 

Edited by RedDragon86

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

Viking Bikers sounds like a better night in. That was shat.

“Viking Bikers” was a terrible episode, and was part of the start to the decline of the show, as was “Showbiz”...and they were towards the end of Season 3. Both definite garbage! :thumbsdown: 

“Hell Hath No Fury” actually had a plot that made sense, and included some captivation that otherwise was sadly quickly declining.  

“Viking Bikers” was a terrible episode, and was part of the start to the decline of the show, as was “Showbiz”...and they were towards the end of Season 3. Both definite garbage! :thumbsdown: 

“Hell Hath No Fury” actually had a plot that made sense, and included some captivation that otherwise was sadly quickly declining.  

Not to me, at least it had style.

Edited by RedDragon86

10 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Not to me least it had style.

Lets be honest after half way through S3 it turned to crap.

“Viking” & “Showbiz” were just flat out stupid & made no sense. They were some of the first indications the writers were dropping the ball. But, I think towards the end of Season 3 the episodes started to be less than enjoyable. But, to me “Hell Hath” was a ‘refreshing’ change from that. Although, obviously that didn’t last. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

For me (my conclusion as the story line is good), the main weaknesses of Hell hath no fury are:

• no music (only episode without any third party music). There was opportunity, at least with the Hatch shooting to use a song. I posted once a potential video of that scene with a 1987 song added&edited by me in the "what songs should have been used" thread.
  • no action (except the shooting with Hatch)
  • sloppy visuals. They let some earth-tones and visually bad props on air (e.g. Hatch´scar, Hatch´s clothing, the props at the shooting range scene). Also the obvious full head shot of Bobby Foxworth doubling DJ when he drew Trudy away from reporters was a bad sloppy no-go. 

Above three points are fairly unique for the whole series with any episode. That´s why this episode never really stuck with me despite an interesting story backbone. 

P.S. I also think that the Ellen Mason actress was not doing a great job. At least not good enough to compensate the other weaknesses.

• Like 1

“Viking” & “Showbiz” were just flat out stupid & made no sense. They were some of the first indications the writers were dropping the ball. But, I think towards the end of Season 3 the episodes started to be less than enjoyable. But, to me “Hell Hath” was a ‘refreshing’ change from that. Although, obviously that didn’t last. 

Sorry for me coming across this way but you nearly gave this episode a 9, that is "Lombard" or "Forgive us Our Debts" level of rating.

I didn't mean to say half way through 3 it became poor towards the end I meant to say, even though I do rate some highly like "Red Tape" or "The Savage"

As a whole season 3 was a great season, but season 4, and episodes like these are just so stupid, the perpetrator wants forgiveness from the rape victim and the show camps outside of her house? give over.  The rape victim in REALITY would not be harassed like this. 

These episodes are not my cup of tea but I can fully understand why fans love "Death & the Lady" or "Gods Work" because the storyline is very strong and the subject matter is an important one to tell.

Edited by RedDragon86

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Sorry for me coming across this way but you nearly gave this episode a 9, that is "Lombard" or "Forgive us Our Debts" level of rating.

I didn't mean to say half way through 3 it became poor towards the end I meant to say, even though I do rate some highly like "Red Tape" or "The Savage"

As a whole season 3 was a great season, but season 4, and episodes like these are just so stupid, the perpetrator wants forgiveness from the rape victim and the show camps outside of her house? give over.  The rape victim in REALITY would not be harassed like this. 

These episodes are not my cup of tea but I can fully understand why fans love "Death & the Lady" or "Gods Work" because the storyline is very strong and the subject matter is an important one to tell.

Perhaps a 9 is a little too high, but I’d still give it an 8. “Lombard” is amazing and definitely a good episode! “Forgive” is good too, but not sure it would get a 9 either.

Season 3 overall was still pretty good, but towards the end it started to “fail”. The writers were creating some pretty stupid & poor episodes—such as “Viking” and “Showbiz”. I’m not a fan of “Red Tape” either...basically a so-so filler. But, “Duty and Honor” (“Savage” was not the title they ended up using...although it probably would have been better) was awesome!

As for this episode...I’m sorry, but in reality sadly media and people do “camp” and converge outside peoples homes or businesses like this, if it’s a high profile case! People don’t care about harassment...society gets-off on the drama, lurid details, and the media attention. Sadly, this was/is realistic!

But, there’s several aspects to “Hell Hath” that make it a good one of Season 4...the wild & bizarre plot twists, suspense, the action & shootout, the visuals & colors of some pastels again, and I still say the woman playing Ellen Mason did a very good  & heartfelt job...in all honesty (as much as I love Trudy) she did a more realistic acting job than Olivia.

Overall I still really like this episode and stand by my review...it’s one I enjoy every time! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1