Episode #80 "The Cows Of October"

Ferrariman

7 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I agree.  That's why I don't give Made For Each Other a pass like so many other people here do.  Just because that ep was in the revered S1 doesn't automatically mean it's good.

I understand what you mean but did you not laugh at some of the scenes in Made For Each Other though? the way Noogie and Izzy steal the cement truck and the fact that a crime boss wants one in the first place lol.

One of the other scenes I always find funny was when Stan and Darlene are in bed and all Stan can think about is Larry, and with him being in the bug van outside with no where to stay, says "come on its cold outside" I think the humor is good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 7:24 AM, RedDragon86 said:

I understand what you mean but did you not laugh at some of the scenes in Made For Each Other though? the way Noogie and Izzy steal the cement truck and the fact that a crime boss wants one in the first place lol.

One of the other scenes I always find funny was when Stan and Darlene are in bed and all Stan can think about is Larry, and with him being in the bug van outside with no where to stay, says "come on its cold outside" I think the humor is good.

Everyone has their opinions, likes & dislikes. To each his or her own...but sorry, I don’t find most, if any, of those scenes funny. They’re not humorous...just stupid & annoying, especially for a serious crime show (at the time) like MV. It just ended up being way too slap-stick...it was like MV meets SNL, and it just didn’t work. :(  But, my opinion...again, to each his or her own! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Forced myself to watch this ep again because I'm going thru S4 again and it's still terrible.  There's no good music and this ep seems interminably long.  Tubbs actually looks good in denim and a cowboy hat though it's funny seeing a stud in his ear while he's wearing it.  Shearer is talented but he's ridiculous here especially standing near Castillo.  Somebody mentioned SNL but it reminds me of Stephen Cannell meets Hal Needham and Burt Reynolds.  Izzy is coincidentally on a cowboy kick (ugh).  Not enough Sonny in this.  I did like the ending hotel room scene even though it may have been a set.  Unfortunately bad all round.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Forced myself to watch this ep again because I'm going thru S4 again and it's still terrible.  There's no good music and this ep seems interminably long.  Tubbs actually looks good in denim and a cowboy hat though it's funny seeing a stud in his ear while he's wearing it.  Shearer is talented but he's ridiculous here especially standing near Castillo.  Somebody mentioned SNL but it reminds me of Stephen Cannell meets Hal Needham and Burt Reynolds.  Izzy is coincidentally on a cowboy kick (ugh).  Not enough Sonny in this.  I did like the ending hotel room scene even though it may have been a set.  Unfortunately bad all round.

I usually skip this one when going through the show again. I mentioned SNL in a post above a couple months ago. I still compare this episode to that style of spoof, joke-like crap that wouldn’t really happen...except supposedly in MV world, this sadly did. :( Terrible episode for sure. However, no episode is as horrible, pathetic, wretched, or as much of a piece of garbage as Missing Hours! :evil: THE WORST episode of not only MV...but literally possibly of television history!! :wuerg: :thumbsdown: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I noticed EJO disappears in this ep.  I don't blame him.

There is a scene in "The Big Thaw" (24:41) where it seems as though EJO really does walk out, his voice is dubbed, the rest of the cast are looking at him thinking "where is he going?" there is a moment at 25:10 where PMT looks at the double doors in a confused way.

For the rest of the episode he just sits in the background on a desk looking bored.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I noticed EJO disappears in this ep.  I don't blame him.

It’s been several years since I actually watched this episode...I can’t remember how much, if at all, Castillo is in it?? ?( However, considering the stupidity of the plot line I’d probably request I not be in it...this time Castillo is gone to New York seeing whack-job Valerie. :p 

I don't share the foaming hatred for this episode that some do, but it's not one of the better ones. I always took it as a sideways commentary on how ridiculous the Cold War could look when Reagan was in office (Vice snuck that kind of commentary in quite often, after all). And I also like "Made for Each Other." 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I don't share the foaming hatred for this episode that some do, but it's not one of the better ones. I always took it as a sideways commentary on how ridiculous the Cold War could look when Reagan was in office (Vice snuck that kind of commentary in quite often, after all). And I also like "Made for Each Other." 

Lol...the “foaming” hatred is always reserved for Missing Hours with me, but this one definitely warrants some drool-of-disgust. :p I also can barely stand Made for Each Other...just blatant stupidity. :( I realize that Zwitek and Zito were supposed to be the goofballs...but they had some serious moments too. Their characters deserved better than that episode! To me, MV was a more serious, ‘dark’ & gritty show (at least for its time). So, when they would all of a sudden try and interact a goofball-moronic type episode it just didn’t work—they just ended up being annoying and ridiculous. But, my opinion...to each his or her own. ;) 

• Like 2

Pretty much. I, for one, can't stand "The Great McCarthy." To me it's banal and has no real redeeming features (aside from the closing credits, which mean it's over). Yet there are people who love it. I really wish they would have given Trudy a better episode than "Missing Hours."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Pretty much. I, for one, can't stand "The Great McCarthy." To me it's banal and has no real redeeming features (aside from the closing credits, which mean it's over). Yet there are people who love it. I really wish they would have given Trudy a better episode than "Missing Hours."

Lol...it’s always fun and interesting to discuss and debate episodes with fellow-fans, as to me it’s interesting the differences of opinion people have. :dance2: I’m totally the opposite when it comes to The Great McCarthy...I LOVE that episode!! It has everything—good show-based plot of going after a known drug dealer, superb music & fashion, action, good acting, plot twist at the end, etc... :thumbsup:

But my favorite aspect of that one is, it’s not one where one or several of the main cast are making stupid choices (Crockett and his weirdo girlfriends—excluding Gina or Teresa—, or Tubbs and whack-job Val, or Gina & Trudy with moron men, or Switek & Zito screwing up their lives, etc...) and a good portion of the episode is waiting for them to finally figure it out. “McCarthy” is just an awesome episode about the team working together to bring McCarthy down. I know Tubbs tried to get with Vanessa but that was more of a sideline thing until the end. 

I agree Trudy should have had a better episode than Missing Hours, but ALL of them should have had better than that, along with Cows of October—neither of those episodes should have been written, let alone actually made! :baby:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol...it’s always fun and interesting to discuss and debate episodes with fellow-fans, as to me it’s interesting the differences of opinion people have. :dance2: I’m totally the opposite when it comes to The Great McCarthy...I LOVE that episode!! It has everything—good show-based plot of going after a known drug dealer, superb music & fashion, action, good acting, plot twist at the end, etc... :thumbsup:

But my favorite aspect of that one is, it’s not one where one or several of the main cast are making stupid choices (Crockett and his weirdo girlfriends—excluding Gina or Teresa—, or Tubbs and whack-job Val, or Gina & Trudy with moron men, or Switek & Zito screwing up their lives, etc...) and a good portion of the episode is waiting for them to finally figure it out. “McCarthy” is just an awesome episode about the team working together to bring McCarthy down. I know Tubbs tried to get with Vanessa but that was more of a sideline thing until the end. 

I agree Trudy should have had a better episode than Missing Hours, but ALL of them should have had better than that, along with Cows of October—neither of those episodes should have been written, let alone actually made! :baby:

Same here, "The Great McCarthy" is a great episode. 

• Like 1

I like The Great McCarthy, although it's not in my top 10.  However, I really enjoyed the pool game between Sonny and McCarthy.

Made For Each Other was goofball stuff and I agree, Switek and Zito deserved a better episode, but I didn't hate it.  And since it was from S1 (although near the end of S1) I always felt like the show was still somewhat trying to figure out what it was going to be.

Apparently I'm the only one (or maybe one of only a few!) who actually enjoyed Cows of October.  It was kind of goofy, as even the characters  freely made fun of the situation, but to me it was head and shoulders above Missing Hours.  I saw it (Cows) as kind of light relief after several heavy episodes.   And while the situation was humorous, it was something that could actually happen... Hard to imagine it happening in Miami, though :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

There are some really unbearable moments in The Great McCarthy (like the last lines between Tubbs and Vanessa at the end :) ). 

All and all, there are some great locations and great music, so it’s fun to watch for me. 

And Vanessa...:fireworks:

Edited by Dadrian

On 2/27/2019 at 3:02 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Same here, "The Great McCarthy" is a great episode. 

Amen!! :thumbsup:

On 2/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, vicegirl85 said:

I like The Great McCarthy, although it's not in my top 10.  However, I really enjoyed the pool game between Sonny and McCarthy.

Made For Each Other was goofball stuff and I agree, Switek and Zito deserved a better episode, but I didn't hate it.  And since it was from S1 (although near the end of S1) I always felt like the show was still somewhat trying to figure out what it was going to be.

Apparently I'm the only one (or maybe one of only a few!) who actually enjoyed Cows of October.  It was kind of goofy, as even the characters  freely made fun of the situation, but to me it was head and shoulders above Missing Hours.  I saw it (Cows) as kind of light relief after several heavy episodes.   And while the situation was humorous, it was something that could actually happen... Hard to imagine it happening in Miami, though :)

Ironically The Great McCarthy for me is that “relief” from some heavier or darker episodes, that you mentioned. That, the music, the fashion, the action, it was just awesome and a “fun” episode to watch! Love the pool scene...I have that song downloaded to my phone and I sometimes play it when running.

Sorry...Cows is bull-crap (pun intended :p) to me, not as much as Missing Hours, but still garbage. Made For is also ridiculous crap that I can hardly watch. However, my opinion. To each his or her own. ;) 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:38 PM, Dadrian said:

There are some really unbearable moments in The Great McCarthy (like the last lines between Tubbs and Vanessa at the end :) ). 

All and all, there are some great locations and great music, so it’s fun to watch for me. 

And Vanessa...:fireworks:

I think that the end lines and scene with Tubbs and Vanessa was another ‘famous’ Mann (what I call) “abrupt” ending. It may seem a little ‘short’ or odd because there wasn’t anything else to tie it up...but that was another MV/Mann trademark to have an almost cut-off ending, if-you-will.

The lines themselves I don’t think are ‘unbearable’?? Vanessa tries to use Tubbs’ attraction and infatuation with her to not take her to jail, but ultimately he he’s a cop and won’t jeopardize that regardless. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think "Cows" loses something if you weren't old enough during the Reagan years to remember how everything ended up being a competition with the Soviet Union. I'll always see "Cows" as a particularly pointed commentary on how ridiculous some of that stuff could be. There's a strong element of satire in it that many don't expect from Vice, which is a shame because Vice is often at its strongest when it's reflecting on things like this.

• Like 2

Well I will say that the multiple phone/bidding scene was well done.  It's funny how Izzy can go into serious-mode when he's concentrating on one of his schemes.

14 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Well I will say that the multiple phone/bidding scene was well done.  It's funny how Izzy can go into serious-mode when he's concentrating on one of his schemes.

Very good scene as well as the scene with Crockett at the end in the hotel room where Izzy said goodbye to the money and had even named the bills . Hilarious

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This episode is one big face-palm, but it’s not as bad I remembered. I do really appreciate Harry Shearer as I’m a big Simpsons fan. His voice on this episode sounds like Reverend Lovejoy mixed with Kent Brockman. :)

Izzy was also pretty funny. I enjoyed seeing him in his cowboy outfits. :)

58 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

This episode is one big face-palm, but it’s not as bad I remembered. I do really appreciate Harry Shearer as I’m a big Simpsons fan. His voice on this episode sounds like Reverend Lovejoy mixed with Kent Brockman. :)

Izzy was also pretty funny. I enjoyed seeing him in his cowboy outfits. :)

This episode was bull-‘crap’ (pun intended)! :p It wasn’t quite as bad as Missing Hours (I don’t believe there is an episode of television that is), but it’s darn close! But, despite the unbelievably stupid & pathetic plot...it’s actually one you can follow, unlike Missing which literally makes no sense. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, Robbie C. said:

I think "Cows" loses something if you weren't old enough during the Reagan years to remember how everything ended up being a competition with the Soviet Union. I'll always see "Cows" as a particularly pointed commentary on how ridiculous some of that stuff could be. There's a strong element of satire in it that many don't expect from Vice, which is a shame because Vice is often at its strongest when it's reflecting on things like this.

I remember the Reagan era well - and how he was instrumental in bringing down the evil empire of the Soviet Union.  Not ridiculous at all. 

I think I have more of a tolerance for Miami Vice going screwball than some of the others here in this thread, lol.  Nevertheless, although I found it watchable, Cows of October is still a bit too pokey. (Cow-pokey?) Not a likely entry on my Season 4 Top 5 list.  Better than Missing Hours, not as good as The Big Thaw.  

I'm also reminded of the mangled definition of artificial insemination - "It's when the farmer does it to the cow and not the bull."

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I remember the Reagan era well - and how he was instrumental in bringing down the evil empire of the Soviet Union.  Not ridiculous at all. 

I think I have more of a tolerance for Miami Vice going screwball than some of the others here in this thread, lol.  Nevertheless, although I found it watchable, Cows of October is still a bit too pokey. (Cow-pokey?) Not a likely entry on my Season 4 Top 5 list.  Better than Missing Hours, not as good as The Big Thaw.  

I'm also reminded of the mangled definition of artificial insemination - "It's when the farmer does it to the cow and not the bull."

Totally agree & perfectly stated...with the Reagan era, MV, sarcastic humor and all! :clap: :) 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Thanks 1