The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

So what is the "MT" Daytona exactly? I'm wanna be sure what I'm looking at. 

Michael Talbott? Was he the "cast member" owner? I remember him making a recent appearance with a Daytona at an auction. Am I answering my own questions?? :) 

Edited by nofretz

That MT car is definitely not worth $90K !!   Especially given the lack of any significant details as to whether he ever really owed this car.

Heck his (Talbots) T- bird that he actually drove in the show only sold for $45k a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I struck a deer back in January. I am so glad that I have classic car insurance. The car is insured for $65000. So it is being repaired now. 
I hit the deer with my front passenger side bumper. And, did it really work. The deer ran across my hood, striking the windshield and then rolling over the top. One of his legs came thru the top, which was up at the time, right behind my driver's seat. The leg struck the back of my seat, tearing it, pushing me forward. The hoof scrapped the back of my neck and then hit the driver's door card and then broke the door glass. It sheered off the door handle, Ferrari style, and then the leg went back out the same hole and the deer ran across my trunk. I stopped immediately, but the deer was nowhere to be seen. 
Damages:
-bumper brace bent down. Bumper fine. 
-Drivers pop up head light cover missing
-turn signal cracked
-Stress cracks to nose area 
-Hood needs repainting
-Passenger fender stress cracks
-Fiberglass surrounding the windshield  frame stress cracks
-top ripped
-trunk needs to be repainted
-passenger & drivers door needs repainted
-drivers door missing door handle
-drivers door glass broken
-windshield cracked
-drivers seat ripped
-passenger seat has rip from flying glass
-passenger door card torn

I've decided that I would make the car as close to the Miami Vice Car (MVC) as possible. 
-changed the Ferrari door handles to Alfa Rameo DH 
-replaced pop up headlight doors with plexiglass from Rowleys
- fiberglass surrounding windshield frame replaced with stock corvette convertible reveals and SS header. 
-changed from full size Vitaloni chrome Mirrors mirrors to mini black mirrors
-rechromed bumpers
-all interior reupholstered. 
I have the Ferrari interior. So, I've made a few modifications to it so it resembles the MVC: two-tone dash. Middle area where corvette gages are I blacked out, but kept the Ferrari switches and levers. 
-replaced rims to a Dayton 72 wire spoke rim
-putting new create engine in with throttle body fuel injection
-changed out 4 speed to overdrive automatic. Kept the shift peddle and custom shifter so it still looks like a four speed. 

I am looking for good pictures of how the exhaust comes out the rear of the car. Anyone have some pictures of that area? Anything you guys and gals can think of that I have forgotten, let me know. 

Also what tires are you guys that own a Daytona run. I am running 225 60/R 15. The MVC ran 235 60/R 15. But my research doesn't support that conclusion. The gap between the MVC tires and fender flare seems to be closer and I don't think the car was lowered any. All info will be appreciated. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2016 at 11:52 PM, Scarab KV said:

Volo Brian hosted an event last October that put these three stars together. Was an amazing day to say the least.
JN's car and the sister to our boat are both owned by the same person and will be appearing at the Miami Show this week.
I received an email from Mike this morning and he stated none of the actors will be appearing at the show

12029592_987313611292148_6565277239487394963_o.jpg

12095124_10153683894142070_1459572252980029944_o.jpgVolo 12.jpg

12045311_10153683894827070_7081578086439662948_o.jpg

12140879_10153683895052070_6388376266999212827_o.jpg

12091314_916180241762482_350318802889487696_o.jpg

Great to see these !

Okay. This is what I get:

the 3 stars at Volo Brian's event were:

1. JN's car, 2. the boat, and 3. Michael Talbott.

The car and the boat belong to the same person. 

Only the boat and the car will be at the "Miami Show".

I may be wrong about some or all of this :) 

Edited by Dadrian

After looking at the pictures close.  The car is Volo's car. It has fiberglass surrounding the windshield frame. JN''s has reveals and SS header on the windshield. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:31 PM, Pritt said:

Here's the Popular Mechanics article from 7/87 that went into pretty good depth on both fake Ferraris. Starts on page 85.

https://books.google.ch/books?id=QuQDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&redir_esc=y&hl=de#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks, Pritt for the link to the Pop. Mech. article. Very interesting to this MV fan!  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Thanks, Pritt for the link to the Pop. Mech. article. Very interesting to this MV fan!  :thumbsup:

I agree Tony - found this very interesting! :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2016 at 10:30 PM, Dadrian said:

Okay. This is what I get:

the 3 stars at Volo Brian's event were:

1. JN's car, 2. the boat, and 3. Michael Talbott.

The car and the boat belong to the same person. 

Only the boat and the car will be at the "Miami Show".

I may be wrong about some or all of this :) 

Sorry for the confusion.

The three stars pic was our Star 2 boat and Brian's car, with Michael at Volo.

Last February, Star 1, the sister boat to ours and JN's old car appeared together at the Miami show, along with Olivia Brown. Both pieces are owned by the same person.

Originally he claimed all four of the of the secondary stars were going to appear. I contacted Mike to see if he wanted to get together with us for the Scarab owners reunion at the Clevelander while he was there. He told me none of the four were going, cause Martino didn't want to pay their feet.

Fast forward to the show and Olivia was there.

Kind of a weird deal. She was charging for her autograph, which I'm assuming was maybe her fee, verses being paid to appear. I get that, but they were selling raffle tickets for a chance to ride in the Scarab with her after the weekend was over. They sold tickets over multiple days. Most people are only at the venue one day and were most likely on a plane for home before the drawing was to be made. Don't know if there ever was a drawing and if I remember correctly, I believe she told me she was flying out Monday.

Talked with her quite a bit over the coarse of three days.

Nice enough person, but something just wasn't quite right.

Wasn't as personable as the time we spent with Michael 

FB_IMG_1479934624214.jpg

Edited by Scarab KV
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you guys remember when i was so stuck up on the windshield trim and trying to figure out why it bugged the crap out of me, it turns out it was a solid Billeted piece on the C2!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKql0ethv8I/

as for the life of me I couldnt figure out why I liked the C2's better than the C3's with this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL4SlTGBt7B/

and its not readily apparent until you get that top down shot on it either, like son of a..... as something just bothered me about how cheap that looked. and I just couldn't put my thumb on it. and that was it.

Edited by Kavinsky

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:54 AM, Kavinsky said:

Hey you guys remember when i was so stuck up on the windshield trim and trying to figure out why it bugged the crap out of me, it turns out it was a solid Billeted piece on the C2!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKql0ethv8I/

as for the life of me I couldnt figure out why I liked the C2's better than the C3's with this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL4SlTGBt7B/

and its not readily apparent until you get that top down shot on it either, like son of a..... as something just bothered me about how cheap that looked. and I just couldn't put my thumb on it. and that was it.

Not sure what you mean - both the C2 and the C3 have stainless trim that goes around the windshield and they look pretty similar.  Where is the solid billeted piece that you mention?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 10:27 PM, CameraDaytona said:

Not sure what you mean - both the C2 and the C3 have stainless trim that goes around the windshield and they look pretty similar.  Where is the solid billeted piece that you mention?

I mean in the sense that it seems far thicker than the windshield trims of the C3's, as it seems like every single one of the ones I've looked at was bent or slightly misfitting or warped in someway or another, while on the C2's It didnt seem like that at all, and always seemed flush and sleek in comparison, and like it was all a solid piece of billet steel in comparison, IE something that cant be broken or warped that easily. hence my terminology. which probably comes from my disdain of easily broken things in my other hobby.

as those are always cast or mold injected metal in their construction, and I have never heard anything good about the latter one when it comes to staying together over a long period of time. as you always wanna go Billet or Cast, never mold injected, as those are always rough around the edges and require some sort of refitting to be as good as they should have been in my experience.

as it always seemed like it was a 4 piece affair on the C3's that was noticeably cut up for ease of production, and like their was a piece or two missing on them to keep it attached on the top, one like the one I noticed on this Jensen Interceptor the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVcJrEJW7E

ala 11:16 and 11:21, you see that little square on the center top trim,  its like its missing that, which must act like tensioner on it to keep it flush with everything on there, like it needs one on either corner to keep it all sleek and smooth. or maybe just a reproduction article that thickens it's steel or makes it out of tougher stronger materials to keep it from bending so easily.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 3 weeks later...

Check out this cool picture someone sent me of them getting a picture next to the Dayton's during production.  You can see both cars together, well, just the front clip of 1 of them.  

Daytona SB.PNG

• Like 4

Very cool photo.....thanks for posting, Brian. Don't think I've ever seen them both together before.

I can't make out the steering column or windshield trim which should tell us which one is in frame. Not sure if you have higher resolution.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

6 hours ago, volobrian said:

Check out this cool picture someone sent me of them getting a picture next to the Dayton's during production.  You can see both cars together, well, just the front clip of 1 of them.  

Daytona SB.PNG

1 hour ago, Mvice8489 said:

I have to see any for sale that've ever looked anything near that good 

And I doubt you ever will, because the cars in this photo were only recently built, maybe a few years old at most,  though I don't know the build dates by McBurnie for the 2 cars.

Though back in 2012 I believe, someone in here was selling a Daytona that had spent years in storage and I have never to this day seen one in the condition of that car. It is now owned by another member in here.