The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, jurassic narc said:

After owning my Daytona for over a decade, and doing countless hours of work on the car, it is now in my rear view mirror.  I sold the car to a company that will be putting on a special show at the summer's Miami Boat Show.  They plan a Miami Vice themed event, and are trying to get participation by DJ and PMT.  I understood, but not 100%, that Olivia Brown and Michael Talbot have signed on to appear at the event.  Should be a very interesting event for any Vice fans in the area.  They plan to have one of the boats, as well, but I'm not an expert on those so I am not sure which boat they have.

As to owning a Daytona, the car was a pure pleasure to drive and own.  Like any 30+ year old car it had maintenance challenges, especially getting the A/C to work.  But the overall experience was great.  And the challenges of researching the details to get the car just right were what kept me going.  If you decide to take on the project, this site is a great source of information.  There are a number of knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to help.

As to me, while I don't have the car, I still will be checking in on occasion.  I have some good friends who have helped me on my journey with the car.  Camera Daytona, and VoloBrian have been friends, supporters, and provided assistance any way they could.

Thanks to all those who helped make my dream an eleven year reality!!  (Which means I got to drive the car 9 years longer than Don Johnson!)

JN

Volo Brian hosted an event last October that put these three stars together. Was an amazing day to say the least.
JN's car and the sister to our boat are both owned by the same person and will be appearing at the Miami Show this week.
I received an email from Mike this morning and he stated none of the actors will be appearing at the show

12029592_987313611292148_6565277239487394963_o.jpg

12095124_10153683894142070_1459572252980029944_o.jpgVolo 12.jpg

12045311_10153683894827070_7081578086439662948_o.jpg

12140879_10153683895052070_6388376266999212827_o.jpg

12091314_916180241762482_350318802889487696_o.jpg

Edited by Scarab KV
  • Like 5

February 12, 2016

FAKE DAYTONA

there is a ruse being perpetrated on the Miami vice fans!

At the Miami international boat show there is a guy who has a Daytona displayed along with a scarab boat, claiming it is the sister car of the stunt car used on the set. When the real stunt car couldn't be used, then this car was used on the set of M V

The actress who played Trudy is charging money for a signed picture and to be able to set in the car with her. I heard her say that the car was in the show too.  I don't know if she knew it was a lie or what. 

I told him there were only two and he gave me a big B S story about the car.

The car he is showing is the car that Volo Musium sold a few months back that was in Georgia. I confirmed this with another member that had flown to Ga to see the car plus this thread. It's the same guy. I hate that he is such a person to take a well known vehicle from this forum and run such a con. 

image.jpeg

MIAMI, Feb. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- For the first time in 30 years, the iconic Miami Vice boat will be in Miami waters, and aboard will be Miami Vice original cast member Olivia Brown.  Amid the buzz of a possible Miami Vice reunion and series reboot, the Vice boat and Ms. Brown will be appearing at the Miami International Boat Show, Feb. 11 – 15.

Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160211/332369
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20160211/332370

"The Vice boat embodies the fast-paced lifestyle of the period, and Olivia Brown – Detective Trudy – is beloved by millions of Vice fans around the world," said David Martino, the entertainment collectibles king and number one Vice fan who bought the boat and Miami Vice Ferrari, both of which will be prominently featured at the Boat Show.

Boat Show attendees will be able to meet Ms. Brown, get autographs, take photos and purchase a charitable raffle benefitting Women In Distress, which helps provide emergency shelter and services for battered women.  Raffle winners will get a ride on the Miami Vice boat with Ms. Brown followed by lunch with the actress.

In the eighties, Miami Vice helped transform Miami into a jetsetter's paradise.  The economic impact the show had on the area continues today, more three decades after TV series debuted.  The Miami Vice boat was featured in the show's opening sequence and frequently during the show.

TV industry analysts say that Martino's efforts to facilitate a Miami Vice cast reunion, starting with Olivia Brown and the iconic Vice boat, have been nothing short of Herculean.

"Martino went out and bought the original Vice fast boat," said one analyst.  "He bought the Vice Ferrari, secured original Vice cast member Olivia Brown and is in discussion with the other cast members to bring them back.  Nobody's has ever gotten this far."

The Miami Vice Fast Boat and Ferrari, and Vice star Olivia Brown will be at the Miami International Boat Show each day of the Show, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

3501 RICKENBACKER CAUSEWAY

MIAMI, FL 33149

DATES:          

FEBRUARY 11–15, 2016

BOAT SHOW TIMES:            

THURSDAY, (PREMIER DAY): 10AM–6PM

FRIDAY–SUNDAY: 10AM–8PM

MONDAY, (PRESIDENT'S DAY): 10AM–6PM

For more information about the Miami Vice Boat Show event and Vice star Olivia Brown, contact Sal Marotta at 954-803-0800, or Email.  Website url:  http://miamivice38kv.com/

SOURCE Miami Vice Boat Show

"Martino went out and bought the original Vice fast boat," said one analyst.  "He bought the Vice Ferrari, secured original Vice cast member Olivia Brown and is in discussion with the other cast members to bring them back.  Nobody's has ever gotten this far."

He bought the Vice Ferrari????  Yeah, right     LOL

3 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

He bought the Vice Ferrari????  Yeah, right     LOL

Well, you could read it carefully and see that they're saying the boat is the original but the car is not.  Of course, they won't mind that most people will read quickly and think both are original.

Word "the" definition: denoting one or more people or things already mentioned. 

Therefor he is saying original Daytona Spyder from the hit show. 

He may later come back and say he did not mean it that way. But, he knows, and we know exactly what he is...

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, Scarab KV said:

Volo Brian hosted an event last October that put these three stars together. Was an amazing day to say the least.
JN's car and the sister to our boat are both owned by the same person and will be appearing at the Miami Show this week.
I received an email from Mike this morning and he stated none of the actors will be appearing at the show

Thanks for posting these shots. I was planning to go to Volo to meet Michael and Brian but couldn't due to a late scheduling conflict. Who's the guy with MT?

So are you saying the car in these photos was JN's car, and not Car1? I didn't realize that JN had sent his car to Illinois, as I thought it remained in the SE on a consignment basis before the sale.

Sonny, the Daytona sitting next to the Scarab is Volo's OWN Daytona.....supposedly one of the two real cars  (BTW, I was there at Volo that day and saw the boat and car together along with seeing Switek). 

The car at the 'Miami Boat Show' that is committing the ruse is JN's former car. 

Hope this helps better explain it.

19 hours ago, airtommy said:

Well, you could read it carefully and see that they're saying the boat is the original but the car is not.  Of course, they won't mind that most people will read quickly and think both are original.

By the way, it says Martino "bought THE Vice Ferrari"....not A Vice Ferrari.    A big difference.

3 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

Sonny, the Daytona sitting next to the Scarab is Volo's OWN Daytona.....supposedly one of the two real cars  (BTW, I was there at Volo that day and saw the boat and car together along with seeing Switek). 

The car at the 'Miami Boat Show' that is committing the ruse is JN's former car. 

Hope this helps better explain it.

Thanks.

Interestingly, earlier today volobrian replied to my post also and it seems to have vanished, along with my reply to volobrian.

Admins, can you take a look at what happened please?

On 2/9/2016 at 7:38 AM, MTVcops said:

Hey guys, sorry if there was any confusion on my post from the Volo event with Michael. The car pictured with Michael is the Volo car and the boat is our unrestored sister to the one appearing in Miami.

I don't know what to think of Martino. When he started the initial media frenzy about the appearance of the boat, it was so over sensationalized with fictitious facts and half truths, it was sickening. 
It was stated in the Miami Herold, that the car was used in the show.

As a co founder and historian for the Vice Scarab fb page, I just shake my head at how little he knows about the boat. 
Not sure what his agenda is, but it sure isn't preserving the history.
We've worked hard to put these boats back on the radar of the boating community, to the point where the community has developed a new admiration for them and people with the means to restore them are seeking them. 
The page did reach out to him, to tone it down a bit. 

He's boasting to build the most accurate and informative page ever about the boat and then his publicist reaches out and requests all the info and history we have on his boat.
I've spent a good share of my adult life chasing these boats and their history, countless hours talking to the who's who at Wellcraft, employees from plant 4, tracking down previous dealers, owners, etc...and loved every minute of it.
I'm not about to share it with anyone, if it's for their profit.....enjoy the ride.

On Thursday, my friend who restored the boat and myself went over to check things out. When Tom introduced himself, he was immediately asked for any restoration pics and info.
I was pretty much blown off, when I introduced myself. lol

I did get a chance to talk with Olivia at length on Thursday before all the reenactments pics started.
On Saturday, she said she was starting to get a little weirded out.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2016 at 9:51 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Thanks for posting these shots. I was planning to go to Volo to meet Michael and Brian but couldn't due to a late scheduling conflict. Who's the guy with MT?

So are you saying the car in these photos was JN's car, and not Car1? I didn't realize that JN had sent his car to Illinois, as I thought it remained in the SE on a consignment basis before the sale.

No, it was the Volo car.

Are you talk'n about the old dude with MT?

That's me :)

The first video is of the replica that was Star Cars in TN.  The 2nd video is Car #1, which is at Volo.  The car was modified after Miami Vice and used in Speed Zone with John Candy.  It now has a different dash, the marker lights were filled as well as other odds and ends.  In time, we're hoping to have it correct to "as-seen" in Miami Vice.

• Like 1

You know I love the Scarab and I also love the Daytona. I hope to own one soon.

I find it strange that for a MV fan and a purist, I feel that the show should have used a Stinger and the Daytona for the boat show. After all the Daytona and the Stinger were mostly used in season one.

The Scarab to me personally is associated with the Testorossa , which is also a fine automobile and quite desirable.

If the Miami boat show would have asked me, I would have been happy to trailer my boat down for display.

You know........just saying!

21 hours ago, Scarab KV said:

Hey guys, sorry if there was any confusion on my post from the Volo event with Michael. The car pictured with Michael is the Volo car and the boat is our unrestored sister to the one appearing in Miami.

I don't know what to think of Martino. When he started the initial media frenzy about the appearance of the boat, it was so over sensationalized with fictitious facts and half truths, it was sickening. 
It was stated in the Miami Herold, that the car was used in the show.

As a co founder and historian for the Vice Scarab fb page, I just shake my head at how little he knows about the boat. 
Not sure what his agenda is, but it sure isn't preserving the history.
We've worked hard to put these boats back on the radar of the boating community, to the point where the community has developed a new admiration for them and people with the means to restore them are seeking them. 
The page did reach out to him, to tone it down a bit. 

He's boasting to build the most accurate and informative page ever about the boat and then his publicist reaches out and requests all the info and history we have on his boat.
I've spent a good share of my adult life chasing these boats and their history, countless hours talking to the who's who at Wellcraft, employees from plant 4, tracking down previous dealers, owners, etc...and loved every minute of it.
I'm not about to share it with anyone, if it's for their profit.....enjoy the ride.

On Thursday, my friend who restored the boat and myself went over to check things out. When Tom introduced himself, he was immediately asked for any restoration pics and info.
I was pretty much blown off, when I introduced myself. lol

I did get a chance to talk with Olivia at length on Thursday before all the reenactments pics started.
On Saturday, she said she was starting to get a little weirded out.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought that looked like the Volo car as well, but wasn't sure from the note. And no idea that was your boat in the photo....NICE! ..that boat is a beauty!  Would love to see that boat in action some day.

I assume you are relatively local, as I am also in the Chicago burbs. Looking forward to getting the Daytona out here in  couple months for some driving.

As to the FL guy who apparently is claiming JN's car was used in the show, that really does amaze me as I know he would have had the history of JN's car explained to him by the man himself. So if he is actually making such misrepresentations, that is a shame. Fooling those not in the know in the name of a few bucks, I suppose.

But as CD suggested in another thread, if/when he tries selling and claiming it was one of the Show Cars, he will be in for a rude awakening as buyers will do an Internet search and learn of the real Cars used in the series. As to your scarab FB page, I will have to look for that as I am also fascinated by those boats and their history in the show, though I am not all that knowledgeable about those boats. Btw. from where did the FL guy source his boat?

Cheers, S-B

• Like 1

5 hours ago, volobrian said:

The car was modified after Miami Vice and used in Speed Zone with John Candy.  It now has a different dash, the marker lights were filled as well as other odds and ends.  In time, we're hoping to have it correct to "as-seen" in Miami Vice.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you do with the car, volobrian.

6 hours ago, volobrian said:

The first video is of the replica that was Star Cars in TN.  The 2nd video is Car #1, which is at Volo.  The car was modified after Miami Vice and used in Speed Zone with John Candy.  It now has a different dash, the marker lights were filled as well as other odds and ends.  In time, we're hoping to have it correct to "as-seen" in Miami Vice.

FOR THE RECORD: The first car was never on Miami Vice.  The second car has been verified by VIN as the car known as Car #1.  It is at Volo.  The only other screen used Daytona is in the hands of CameraDaytona.  It too has been verified by VIN.  All records from the time period show there were only two cars used on the show (Carl Roberts had negotiated the construction of a third when Ferrari donated the two Testarossas).  My car was never advertised by me or Volo as having been anything other than an homage to the car from Season Two.  But frankly, the fact that the new owner represents the car as the real deal simply adds him to a long line of people who have perpetuated the bogus stories about the Miami Vice Daytonas.  In fact, I hope everyone sees the irony of the post, Fake Daytona (since the Daytonas were vilified as fake Ferraris for so many years, that would mean my car ended up as a fake of a fake-sort of like a Mobius strip).

At any rate, the only place the REAL STORY of the Daytonas can be found is in this thread.

Again, if you aren't at the Volo Museum or in Camera Daytona's garage, you are not seeing a screen used Miami Vice (fake) Ferrari Daytona!!