The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

also if you guys know any miura owners or know of them, it would be a good idea to give them a heads up about this as well, as I know of one who could have used it here at 5:28

and I'm going to shoot this guy an email as well, just to give him a heads up as miura's are quite well known for being firestarters

http://www.lambomiura.com/

and also just because of the ethanol in the gas, if for no other reason.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd post this to help you guys with the idiot gas

and it sounds like its just going to get worse in california, 10 to 15.... its getting so bad I cant help but think of the old Snatch clip with Dennis Farina, got anything to declare?

Hopefully if this really works and it gets popular the price will come down, and also you gotta love where it comes from too lol.

kinda funny timing really, I was just thinking the other night hey wait dont we have a choice in this matter? why cant we buy the good stuff instead of this stupid crap.

Edited by Kavinsky

You Dawgs might enjoy this.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCbbicfGjf8

hmm interesting way to make it look like the old stuff

anyways I found something rather interesting, that displays the difference between having the windshield trim be thick, and then by contrasting it by making it thinner

The Jag Mark 1

800px-1959_Jaguar_3.4_Litre_%28XLK_495%2

Jag Mark 2, where supposedly they added 18% more glass to the bodywork, yet despite all that its basically the same car.

Jaguar.3point4.750pix.jpg

and its all based around them making the pillars and the door pillars thinner and by widening the rear window, and this seems to be a good contrast between the stock windshield trim and the carl roberts unit

!BZuOEM!!2k~$%28KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlvGm7BKoCS

60_3.jpg

like the same rule applies.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I found something interesting here, Jurrasic had said that the first car,

car 1 had the headlight cluster taken off of a Mazda RX 3 based on something he read about them in a book

c3991.jpg

and well I was looking at a guys ebay page to see what else he had for sale, as he's selling an autoart 1:18 Lambo murcie for a good price. and as its a car I consider to be a lamborghini Armadillio really, so I was looking to see if he had anything better I that I actually liked and I came across a broucher for the RX3, and well I think this is the steering wheel Car 4 had originally after it was constructed

I mean take a look

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Mazda-RX3-SP-Prestige-sales-brochure-original-NOS-rare-/111555135174?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item19f93446c6

$_57.JPG

$%28KGrHqF,!rUFIe,8MwHNBSJH4!srk!~~60_57

I mean that does look rather close doesnt it? so maybe there was more than a few Mazda parts on it than just the headlamps of the first car.

plus carl roberts was using mazda door handles on his cars, hell maybe out mysterious markadian seats could be modded RX 3's to the Corvette buckets.

also am I reading this right, or did this thing just say that ferrari's had hemi head engines?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-Ferrari-330-GT-brochure-cut-sheet-NOS-rare-/151537197446?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item2348522186

$_57.JPG

although if this is true, it would make sense in a way, as I had read something about the 911 supposedly using the same kind of heads.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 months later...

Won these on eBay today.  I checked this forum first and nobody was discussing them, so I assume (and really hope) I wasn't bidding against anyone on here.  First time in almost 4 1/2 years I've seen Zenith or Dayton emblems in a set of 4 all in good condition in the correct color.  Hell, it may be the only set I've seen in this color that whole time (saw a set of 3 recently with one badly damaged).  Anyway, I paid a stupid amount of money for them but finally have the right ones for my Daytona.  Gotta get some straight, 3-bar spinners to attach them to then swap with the spinners currently on my car.  Gotta say it was a good day :-).

Brian W

post-3954-0-63963900-1427945036_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Won these on eBay today.  I checked this forum first and nobody was discussing them, so I assume (and really hope) I wasn't bidding against anyone on here.  First time in almost 4 1/2 years I've seen Zenith or Dayton emblems in a set of 4 all in good condition in the correct color.  Hell, it may be the only set I've seen in this color that whole time (saw a set of 3 recently with one badly damaged).  Anyway, I paid a stupid amount of money for them but finally have the right ones for my Daytona.  Gotta get some straight, 3-bar spinners to attach them to then swap with the spinners currently on my car.  Gotta say it was a good day :-).

Brian W

Nice caps...cool find.  :cool:

• Like 1

I think I found something interesting here, Jurrasic had said that the first car,

car 1 had the headlight cluster taken off of a Mazda RX 3 based on something he read about them in a book

c3991.jpg

and well I was looking at a guys ebay page to see what else he had for sale, as he's selling an autoart 1:18 Lambo murcie for a good price. and as its a car I consider to be a lamborghini Armadillio really, so I was looking to see if he had anything better I that I actually liked and I came across a broucher for the RX3, and well I think this is the steering wheel Car 4 had originally after it was constructed

I mean take a look

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Mazda-RX3-SP-Prestige-sales-brochure-original-NOS-rare-/111555135174?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item19f93446c6

$%28KGrHqF,!rUFIe,8MwHNBSJH4!srk!~~60_57

I mean that does look rather close doesnt it? so maybe there was more than a few Mazda parts on it than just the headlamps of the first car.

plus carl roberts was using mazda door handles on his cars, hell maybe out mysterious markadian seats could be modded RX 3's to the Corvette buckets.

Kavinsky - I'm not sure I see the similarity of the Mazda wheel to the original wheel on car 4.  It would be good to see a better picture of the wheel.  I don't know why the wheel would have been changed for the series.

its a little bit hard to see there but the Mazda RX 3 and the 240 Z cars have a deeper dish wheel, and it looks kinda like that from that photo to me.

gallery_471_5_16170.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveseven/5034086345

as they have this almost like a safety kind of pad on the horn, at the 9:00 mark

and that is pulled in while the rim is further out, although that in general seems to be a standard kind of aftermarket wheel in of itself, as I remember reading that the Mad Max Ford Falcon XB GT had one very similar to it on the designing a replica page on the old mad max fan page, and it could be one of those

max-rob-steering-wheels-ad.jpg

I guess Semi Dish then?

while the momo doesnt, its entirely flat and black, vs pulled in slighly with a black pad and silver traingular outspokes there and I think it may have been changed because someone liked the momo better, as literally yesterday I was looking at the steering wheels of the 240 Z to see if I liked them, and I came to the conclusion that I prefered the flat wheel to the deep dish one on it.

and the other car, car 2 here, the one from the news paper cliping has a momo in it, so they may have just been screwing around with the steering wheels to see what works best

gallery_471_5_21898.jpg

gallery_471_5_100025.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOMO-Steering-Wheel-Monte-Carlo-Black-Leather-Red-320mm-/121460513085?hash=item1c479c593d&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Momo-Steering-Wheel-512BB-365BB-Dino-308GT4-246-/331519816926?hash=item4d301ef4de&vxp=mtr

even if that pad would technically be a safer alternative to the momo, as I remember my dad telling me about how ford was one of the first to look into designing a safer steering wheel like that, where the edges were further out and would break away from the driver, and thus there was more space between the steering column and your chest, to better improve your chances of survival in a crash back in 1955.

thus why I noted it from a safety standpoint

and I came to the conclusion that it might have been an RX 3 steering wheel given that Jurrasic had stated that on that red one with the cicular headlamps, they were reported to come off of that car, and I noted that on the RX3 not only did the steering wheel seem simlar to it in that photo, but the seats did as well

plus in the background photo of car 3, there is what appears to be 2 imports behind it, one 240/280 series car and something else, so they might have just had the steering wheel lying around at the shop from another car, although trying to find photos of the RX 3 in stock form is exceedingly difficult.

gallery_471_5_212187.jpg

Edited by Kavinsky

There is certainly the potential that the parts were used because they were there in the shop.  Or maybe Mardikian found a particular part appealing.  An area that has always puzzled me was the use of Mercedes HVAC controls.  Admitted that the Corvette controls of that vintage were poor at best, but the Mercedes controls would have required converting the manual/vacuum controls to electronic servo to activate the vacuum ports and the mechanical door that controls the heat level.

Very sad that all of McBurnie's records burned up when the crazy dude burned his shop to the ground.  Many of our questions would be answerable (maybe not the why, but for sure some part numbers and vendors would be identified.

And the other factor is that C3 aftermarket parts of every shape and size were available on every street corner in the mid to late 80s.  Now finding custom c3 parts is like finding Bigfoot.

JN

Well the most interesting would be the list of his Clientele, as I would bet if you took the dash apart on car 4 the dash would be made of sourced parts from another car or cars rather. Namely with the insturment cover or the dash pad

As the way it might have been made is by putting an new insturment cover on it, and then the dash was redone to line up with it or using a different pad. after all there is Fiat Parts on the dash as it is with the air vents.

so we'd be looking for a pre 1981 car of some sort for the parts to be sourced from, and probably from something popular. Maybe even the 240 series that I was looking over the other day.

although my guess would be the alfa romeo spider after just finding this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-86-ALFA-ROMEO-SPIDER-DASH-SKIN-CAP-OVERLAY-/121555192884?hash=item1c4d410c34

as I was looking for fiat dino dash pads and I decided to see what else he had, and then that poped up, and looking at it, it could fit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123281362@N02/15412369654

as it looks like theres a cutout space for the insturments already in it, and the third vent on the camera car would line up with where it would be on that dash pad if someone added it on to it.

and it could fit too with what we already know, as the alfa used the tornado mirrors, the door handles, so maybe they also sourced the dash pad from it, but how Ironic would it be if it was from Cooper and Burnett's old car, and the Car From Fletch then?

stairing us in the face this whole time, and me in particular as my dad wanted to restore one of those, that junker one he had in the parking lot down in Puerto Rico, the same exact model as the fletch one 15 years ago

and I did note that with Car 1, the door panel wasnt entirely custom, as I could still see the door mechanismn of the 1976 car on it in Whatever works when they zoom in on the cats that are living in the car.

Edited by Kavinsky

I have explored many of the same ideas, but without a car to measure and compare to I could not be sure.  The car 4 dash was for sure based around a Corvette C3 dash, but many changes were made.

You are the one to find a site with the dimensions of the fiats, mercedes, etc of that era.  We know he used Fiat and Mercedes parts, so other add ons are not a stretch.

did you bid on the red ones that I sent you the link to?

Sorry...liked them but not sure red on red is what I want to do.  The Borranis I have have a red and black logo already, was really just looking for the amber colored ones.  Thanks for looking out for me though!!!

yeah I could check that against the general messurements of the dash pad for the C3's as it does look similar in dimension and shape.

its starting to look more and more like that Alfa spider had more to do with the daytona replicas than we thought, check this steering wheel out

9007432579_4cbfed10ba_b.jpg

its metal bits there are raised and casting a shadow, just like the ones on the daytona in the shot there

gallery_471_5_16170.jpg

and this one off of a 1966 model looks pretty close

14091813507_91d0c4169c_b.jpg

so maybe they made an inbetween, and wrapped the wood one, or maybe it is a wood one and the color faded in the photo, and they tried to match it and the center console together.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in touch with the Volo Museum, and they have been able to confirm that the car they have is in fact Car #1, long thought destroyed.  The VIN was recovered in a secret location (something all cars have) and confirmed this weekend.  Brian has told me that, now that the lineage of the car is confirmed, he plans to get the car back to the condition it was in during the show.  Particularly good news for folks in the Chicago area.

I have been in touch with the Volo Museum, and they have been able to confirm that the car they have is in fact Car #1, long thought destroyed.  The VIN was recovered in a secret location (something all cars have) and confirmed this weekend.  Brian has told me that, now that the lineage of the car is confirmed, he plans to get the car back to the condition it was in during the show.  Particularly good news for folks in the Chicago area.

I'm a bit confused. I know that in this thread as well as in the Car Chasers' thread there were comments by yourself and CameraDaytona that CameraDaytona inspected the Volo car and said the VIN number of that car did not match Universal Studios records of the 2 Vice Cars. 

Here's the post in the Car Chasers thread:

Carl was asked to supply 2 Daytonas for the "Speed Trap" movie.  He did that but did not use either of the Miami Vice cars.  The Volo car is one of the cars that he sent to CA for the movie.  I have inspected that car.  It has a VIN that is not one of those used in Miami Vice and has very little similarity to the Miami Vice Daytonas.  Carl Roberts said that he got the chassis for the Volo car from a friend of his.  I have seen the documentation for the Volo car and it is one of the two sent to CA for the "Speed Trap" movie (but not a Miami Vice car) - per the shipping report showing the VIN numbers for the cars shipped and the VIN on the car. 

So how is it now possible that the VIN number does match if it was previously confirmed otherwise?