The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Ok on the docs. I wasn't recalling that bit of info about whether BY obtained them. Perhaps the seller's family may still have them if you wanted to obtain them for additional provenance.

I have mine and am debating posting them in here but want to do so in a way that does not allow the scammers to copy them and then photoshop them for their own unscrupulous purposes.

Typo on the McBurnie build plate? Can you show that or describe?

So if Arizona titled the car as a Ferrari, did they hit you with a large tax on the car at purchase?

On your battery and tool well behind the seat, from the photos on your link it appeared the well was fairly small, and so it appears has two separate compartments?

Mine is one large unfinished well, and is covered by a carpeted wood panel. Needs some work as does the rest of my interior.

Nope, no room for a spare in my trunk (or anywhere either) as the trunk is not large, and the side panels only expose a small area where I discovered a bottle of touchup paint and some small items.

I'm not familiar with the F-cars you mention, but I thought McBurnie went with the flip covers to give a more Ferrari-like appearance, in addition to his faux Ferrari dash and gauge clusters.

I don't recall the specific conversation with Bob, but I am sure he sent me all the docs he had.

The 5th character of the VIN on the McBurnie build plate is a "7" and it should be a "Y" additionally, the 10th and 11th characters are "85" and they should be "BS." Close but no cupie doll.

Title fees were very modest, $51 for VIN search (the gas tank obscure the C-VIN) and research (which was of value to me as it identified the donor chassis), and taxes and registration on a 1969 car--cheap. The title is annotated with "SPCON" (special construction)

Yes the wells are one behind each seat--the battery is behind the driver and the other is for tools--limited.

Quote from Wiki, "Early Daytonas featured fixed headlights behind an acrylic glass cover. This particular setup was completely abandoned in 1971 favor of retractable pop-up twin headlights due to new safety regulations in the U.S., which outlawed headlights behind covers.

Interesting on the build plate. We had a discussion in here awhile back when our favorite reseller was using a copy of what we believe was your Vin plate (to produce one for his car) as more provenance for his car. Not sure I kept photos of his VIn plate but would be interesting if anyone did...to see whether these same character variances were also on his plate.

Ah ok on the covers...you were referring to the genuine Ferrari, rather than the McBurnie covers. I was referring to the latter and so it does seem that McBurnie did go to these flip up lights to match what Ferrari was doing later.

Almost sounds like then anyone with these covers may be breaching safety regs...unless they were again changed.

Almost sounds like then anyone with these covers may be breaching safety regs...unless they were again changed.

Almost certainly changed as most cars now come with plexi over the headlights.

I don't know what personal risk I would incur by posting a picture of my build plate, but our community would certainly take a hit if someone used it to scam buyers and cheapened the breed.

Edited by reholmes

Almost certainly changed as most cars now come with plexi over the headlights.

I don't know what personal risk I would incur by posting a picture of my build plate, but our community would certainly take a hit if someone used it to scam buyers and cheapened the breed.

No wasn't referring to your Vin plate but rather the one that appeared to be copied from yours, when it was still owned by BY.

I have the same concerns about scammers, as I have a fair amount of purchase and build documentation that was in a file folder when I picked up my Daytona.

But given how some of these resellers (one in particular) will stoop to any levels to add fake provenance, I am still wary of putting them in here.

Thought about some sort of large watermark that would make duplication of the forms difficult, but maybe not impossible.

Not sure if my free photo edit software (Photoscape) can do that however.

and yeah sonny I wouldnt post the documents here without having the numbers blotted out, just as a security messure. Otherwise you'll run the same risk as Camera would if he provided the documents with the numbers of the vice car on it. as we already see how desparate people are to claim their car is the vice car with the volo car.

also didnt you say that the dotted ink on them was fading as well?

Yep gotcha on that...same concerns here about docs being replicated by scammers. Well I may be able to do some sort of watermark if I can find the feature in my photo edit software.

The docs that were fading are from Marc Cicchetto , the principal of Auto Design Manufacturing Inc, who did the interior leather work. They are still in pretty bad shape so I probably ought to make a scan copy. (his invoices are printed on old dot matrix print paper).

with the C4 its one of those things where you look at the angle of the windshield in relationship to the hood to see the differences

Eingefügtes Bild

and as the C3 Daytona replicas use the coke bottled C3 as the basis, the angle of the windshield seems a touch high against the now flat body of the replicas, given the squeased in the middle look of the C3. so the windshield starts right at the edge where the body meets the doors, where on the C4 its rigged up to be further out, into what would be the fenders of the C3, in that area

after all camera said he was using a Corvette C4 cover for it, and I kinda think that's why the dash was raised and angled the way it was on the first 4 cars, as this is what a daytona replica looks like with a flat, stock dash

Eingefügtes Bild

something seems off no?

Hard to say here...but the C4 glass looks wider at the base than the Daytona I suppose. and maybe a bit more sharply angled downward, if that is what you're saying?

vs dashes that fill up that area, that try and match the angle of the windshield, as to better blend it into the body, hence why the dash is just as important as how the trim of the windshield is rigged up

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

note the tip of the dash over the insturments seems to line up with the angle of the windshield perfectly, and accentuates the windshield as well.

Not sure I'm following you here.

Yeah that's what I'm saying about the C4 windshield, the height is the same but the angle is lower and thus the area of the glass was increased and starts further down the nose than the C3 windshield

with the dash there you have to look at the overal height and angle of the dash unit in relation to the windshield itself.

Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

and how the shape complements and goes along with angle the windshield

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0045/index.html

rather than just being stuck under it

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0042/index.html

Eingefügtes Bild

Edited by Kavinsky

Thought about some sort of large watermark that would make duplication of the forms difficult, but maybe not impossible.

Not sure if my free photo edit software (Photoscape) can do that however.

There are free on-line services that will water mark your photos--Google it.

Short hijack to this thread (although I do feel it's relevant), I need to buy a cover for my Daytona.  Most of the higher end cover manufacturers make VERY specific covers for cars, so much that an aftermarket spoiler means it won't work.  I honestly don't know if I should buy a cover for a C3 Corvette convertible or a Ferrari Daytona.  I'm told by the help at AutoAnything that Covercraft will make adjustments (often for free) if a cover won't fit...and I seem to remember on a forum before that someone said the Ferrari-specific cover would just run a little large on a McBurnie Daytona.  Have you guys bought covers and/or what are your opinions on this?  I currently have a "semi-custom" cover I bought a few years ago that fits well but is from one of the many pseudo-scammer car cover sites online...after 3 years it's completely useless.  I am looking at side-by-side pics of a 71 Corvette and it looks like there's more rear overhang on the Vette and more front overhang on the Daytona.

Thanks,

Brian W

Let me know what you ended up buying, as I still need one for mine to keep the dust off.

if you need a program for the watermarks, try photoscape, its what I used for the above photo there to mod it like that.

and I just used it, namely the clone feature to make this image

Eingefügtes Bild

From this:

Eingefügtes Bild

which I just made as I was filling out my report (more or less) on the bren ten heir apparent and what I learned from it.

also they have the abiity to add watermarks and blot out things, via a paint feature.

Edited by Kavinsky

if you need a program for the watermarks, try photoscape, its what I used for the above photo there to mod it like that.

and I just used it, namely the clone feature to make this image

Well I also use PhotoScape (free version) but need to see where/if this Watermark feature is and how to use.

After many dollars and three months in the shop, my car is out!!

I added new seat covers, new remote mirrors, new door handles, and a new trunk prop piston.  I also had some work done on the A/C and the fuel system.

I added pictures of the car and some of my Miami Vice trinkets.

front

Trunk

rear

passemger side

Interior

Dh Mrr Dp

door dash

DSC 0185

• Like 1

hmm it came out well, but did the door handles only work in the old position? and did the mirrors not work in a lower or further back position on the doors like I thought they would?

Edited by Kavinsky

The fiberglass is too thick on the door to change the handle position without a huge money dump.  The mirrors are where they are on the Camera Car.

Compare 2014

Nah I thought maybe you were gonna try my idea of putting them lower on the body, at about the same height as the door handles on the camera car or further back from awhile ago.

like just behind the windshield pillars like a quarter of an inch or so, from that diagram I made awhile back.

and I figured that was the reason with the door handles, as you would literally have to cut into the body, probably save the cut bit and put it in the area you just moved them from.

then repaint and god knows what else lol

although I have an idea for the rims and tires for future reference, you could try and look around for a spare set of Corvette C4 rims and tires on ebay to see if the lower profile tires and wider rims would suit the car well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1987-Chevy-Corvette-C4-OEM-Wheel-and-Tire-Left-Side-16-x-9-5-225-50-16-Tire-/121331542539?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item1c3fec6a0b&vxp=mtr

or to see if you would rather go with the camera car set up, that way you wouldnt have to pay alot of money for new rims and tires while trying to get the right combo for it.

as I know the rears of the early C4's were about 255's, so this way you could see if the 225/255 setup would look good on your car without dropping a grand on new rims and tires.

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

I added new seat covers, new remote mirrors, new door handles, and a new trunk prop piston.  I also had some work done on the A/C and the fuel system.

She's beautiful. Nice job, pal.The smoked headlights are nice too.

Maybe back them out some more and get brighter bulbs? That way it'll look more like pop-up headlights during the day.

Edited by SL1DE

She's beautiful. Nice job, pal.The smoked headlights are nice too.

Maybe back them out some more and get brighter bulbs? That way it'll look more like pop-up headlights during the day.

With HID headlights (as those are) I can just see to drive at night.  Had halogen, then lower quality HIDs, and couldn't safely drive at night.  I would like to look at fabricating a simple "door" behind the plexiglass that could raise and lower with the headlight switch, but that is for next winter.

Hmm years ago I remember coming across some sort of Licence plate cover that a couple of illegal street racers used on jay lenos garage for their corvette's,  that when once charged with an electrical current would block out the numbers, so I wonder if the reverse could work for the headlights using the smoked plexyglass.

although I dont know how that would work or where the materials used in such operations would come from, Ceramics Perhaps? the kind where once charged with electricty the materials hardness would change?

it would be simpler than using the doors like Sonny has, that work off of the vacuum system that was used for the original headlights in reverse.

Edited by Kavinsky

Short hijack to this thread (although I do feel it's relevant), I need to buy a cover for my Daytona.  Most of the higher end cover manufacturers make VERY specific covers for cars, so much that an aftermarket spoiler means it won't work.  I honestly don't know if I should buy a cover for a C3 Corvette convertible or a Ferrari Daytona.  I'm told by the help at AutoAnything that Covercraft will make adjustments (often for free) if a cover won't fit...and I seem to remember on a forum before that someone said the Ferrari-specific cover would just run a little large on a McBurnie Daytona.  Have you guys bought covers and/or what are your opinions on this?  I currently have a "semi-custom" cover I bought a few years ago that fits well but is from one of the many pseudo-scammer car cover sites online...after 3 years it's completely useless.  I am looking at side-by-side pics of a 71 Corvette and it looks like there's more rear overhang on the Vette and more front overhang on the Daytona.

Thanks,

Brian W

In that past I have dealt directly with Covercraft and they have been very accommodating. I'd call them and explain your situation. I'm sure they have patterns for the Ferrari and there may be a few critical measurements you could provide them that would solve the problem. Additionally, it would be nice to know what the dimension differences are between your car and the Ferrari.

Edited by reholmes
  • Like 1

And by the way, 'Camera Daytona' if you ever sell please add my name to the list of SERIOUS buyers!

Thanks!!

So noted, although I have no plans to sell anytime soon.

JN - the car looks great!  I hope you get some time this summer to enjoy it!

I have been doing some traveling - taking care of the mother in law who finally passed away - so am catching up on the posts.

My car has a small (donut) spare that fits nicely in the trunk - but does use up a lot of the room in the trunk.

The car cover that I am using came with the car when I bought it.  It is a genuine Ferrari cover from FAF (the Atlanta Ferrari dealer).  I don't know which Ferrari model it was originally made for.

The Gulstrand connection is interesting.  Evidently, he did suspension upgrades on several cars that McBurnie had built.  The suspension upgrades for Corvettes were a service that he marketed to Corvette owners at that time.

JN - the car looks great!  I hope you get some time this summer to enjoy it!

I have been doing some traveling - taking care of the mother in law who finally passed away - so am catching up on the posts.

My car has a small (donut) spare that fits nicely in the trunk - but does use up a lot of the room in the trunk.

The car cover that I am using came with the car when I bought it.  It is a genuine Ferrari cover from FAF (the Atlanta Ferrari dealer).  I don't know which Ferrari model it was originally made for.

The Gulstrand connection is interesting.  Evidently, he did suspension upgrades on several cars that McBurnie had built.  The suspension upgrades for Corvettes were a service that he marketed to Corvette owners at that time.

Thanks CD.  Hope things settle down for you soon.  I had some health issues last year, myself.  I hope to do some cruising soon, if the weather will cooperate.

With the car cover is there any sort of serial numbers or model numbers on it camera?

and sorry I could have sworn someone said they were using a C4 vette cover for one of their cars on here.

Also no luck in finding anything really connected to some sort of camelion like plexyglass like I thought might be possible Jurrasic (mind you I didnt even think of searching for that term just now) ouside of a Nissian Skyline R33 being painted in the same kind of paint they used to use for hotwheel's cars.

where when you would spray it with either cold or hot water it would change colors.

although I did find this, but I dont know how much of a help this would really be, outside of blacking chrome or lenses out.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 weeks later...

With the car cover is there any sort of serial numbers or model numbers on it camera?

and sorry I could have sworn someone said they were using a C4 vette cover for one of their cars on here.

The Ferrari cover has the FAF Ferrari logo and under that is "Front" and below that the number 2263.  I put it in the search engine and nothing came up.  I would guess that the cover was purchased in 1987 or 1988.  I see that FAF was bought out by Ferrari Maserati of Atlanta.  I think the C4 Corvette cover should work fine.

Hmm might have a lead, apparently the T rutlands guy spun off from FAF and took all of the parts with him

https://ferrarichat.com/forum/south-central-usa-tn-ms-al-ga/371652-remembering-faf.html

and typing in that number pulled up these

http://www.trutlands.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=2263&osCsid=luk06lom5oao727ou554d5k377

one car cover for a Berlineta Boxer 365/512 BB, the precessor to the Testarossa before they gave a wide rear end via the dual radiators to help cooling, of which as a note of trivia Don Drove in the 1985 Pepsi Ad.

Edited by Kavinsky