The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

well I figure that at night with the yellow it had a tendancy to look gold, and its possible that with time and the  difference between the original broadcasts and the dvd transfer might have dulled the colors and accidentally made it look gold

so its really hard to say outside of the straight photographic evidence

hell maybe we're having the same effect we did with the black paint here, where that the chrome is reflecting the yellow amber and thus making it look gold in certain shots

also I seem to be having trouble uploading the photos I want to right now, and they're JPG as well.

The photo evidence is pretty clear that the car used had the Zenith wires with the straight spinners and the Eagle logo on a gold background.  McBurnie confirms in all the interviews and literature that the cars had no Ferrari logos at all when built.  You can see on the headrest in the pilot the Mardikian logo emboridered.  So, it is logical that nothing was added other than the Nose Logo and the Trunk Logo.  I think the Momo horn button with the Ferrari emblem would have been easier to get than the spinners designed to fit a Corvette with Ferrari caps.  McBurnie probably started using the Ferrari badging to sell his product (which is what put him out of business).  No doubt the wheels on Sonny's car look good, and were a quality product.  But by 1988 the market was latching onto the replicar business.  Now you can go on-line and get all kinds of Ferrari badging (real and made in China).

Wish I had the time to learn to upload some of the old stuff, but my people have been buying drugs left and right and I have been putting in 14-16 hour days a lot lately.  Maybe in the next few weeks I will have the time to get some pictures up.

JN

I agree that the photo evidence from the actual series is the only thing that matters, and I cannot recall seeing the Ferrari wheel emblems on screen.

But I still have a different perspective on what McBurnie and Universal might have done. If McBurnie was so intent on arguing that his cars had no Ferrari logos, then why did he add the Ferrari nose badge, the trunk Ferrari logo, and, something not mentioned, the uniquely Iconic Carello front nose lenses, which I believe were designed specifically for the Daytona. And then all the other Italian sports-car (Ferrari) specialty lenses made by Carello for the side markers, rear plate lights, rear tail and turn lenses. Did Universal add all those items or was it McBurnie?

If McBurnie added the  nose and trunk Ferrari badging and unique Carello lenses, then later stating he did not add any Ferrari logos doesn't make sense to me. I also suspect his denials were what he may have been compelled to state in Court in his litigation defense. Finally, as CameraDaytona pointed out, McBurnie actually stated to him that Universal used the Ferrari wheel caps and he had a source named.

So adding wheel caps to me would not be that big a deal (by either Universal or McB) or even inconsistent with all the other Ferrari and Carello adds. But maybe the adds were planned but never happened for whatever reason.

I'll go along with the photos that you guys have with the eagles, and say case closed on that...but I will be watching the eps closer, and hoping for Blu-ray. ;)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I agree that the photo evidence from the actual series is the only thing that matters, and I cannot recall seeing the Ferrari wheel emblems on screen.

But I still have a different perspective on what McBurnie and Universal might have done. If McBurnie was so intent on arguing that his cars had no Ferrari logos, then why did he add the Ferrari nose badge, the trunk Ferrari logo, and, something not mentioned, the uniquely Iconic Carello front nose lenses, which I believe were designed specifically for the Daytona. And then all the other Italian sports-car (Ferrari) specialty lenses made by Carello for the side markers, rear plate lights, rear tail and turn lenses. Did Universal add all those items or was it McBurnie?

If McBurnie added the  nose and trunk Ferrari badging and unique Carello lenses, then later stating he did not add any Ferrari logos doesn't make sense to me. I also suspect his denials were what he may have been compelled to state in Court in his litigation defense. Finally, as CameraDaytona pointed out, McBurnie actually stated to him that Universal used the Ferrari wheel caps and he had a source named.

So adding wheel caps to me would not be that big a deal (by either Universal or McB) or even inconsistent with all the other Ferrari and Carello adds. But maybe the adds were planned but never happened for whatever reason.

I'll go along with the photos that you guys have with the eagles, and say case closed on that...but I will be watching the eps closer, and hoping for Blu-ray. ;)

The original cars used in the series were to be sold as Mardikians.  They had no Ferrari badging, but did have the lenses you mentioned.  And McBurnie had no official contact with Universal.  He was the person Universal refered people to after the cars became of interest.  Carl Roberts and the Universal transportation staff made any changes to the car during the series run.  McBurnie even thought that one of the cars had been changed to a manual transmission (a tribute to the sound editor and Don Johnson's acting).  

No idea why the horn button and the spinner caps were left as is, but then I tend to think that a lot of the items used on later cars were just not as available when the cars were outfitted for the show.  McBurnie and Carl Roberts have given conflicting information over the years, which is common since neither have any written records.  I would like to identify the person who originally set the cars up for Season one, who put the nose emblem up too high, etc.  Carl made the changes you see in Season two, and has given me some information on that, but no one has (that I am aware of) identified who did the original set up.

The original cars used in the series were to be sold as Mardikians.  They had no Ferrari badging, but did have the lenses you mentioned.  And McBurnie had no official contact with Universal.  He was the person Universal refered people to after the cars became of interest.  Carl Roberts and the Universal transportation staff made any changes to the car during the series run.  McBurnie even thought that one of the cars had been changed to a manual transmission (a tribute to the sound editor and Don Johnson's acting).  

No idea why the horn button and the spinner caps were left as is, but then I tend to think that a lot of the items used on later cars were just not as available when the cars were outfitted for the show.  McBurnie and Carl Roberts have given conflicting information over the years, which is common since neither have any written records.  I would like to identify the person who originally set the cars up for Season one, who put the nose emblem up too high, etc.  Carl made the changes you see in Season two, and has given me some information on that, but no one has (that I am aware of) identified who did the original set up.

Ok thanks for clarifying, JN. I didn't recall that McB was out of the picture after the cars were leased/sold or that he wasn't the one adding the badges.

I do remember that scene where it appears Sonny is "shifting" his auto transmission where it's made to look like manual. I've done that that from neutral on occasion as well. Let the hot rods next to me think so anyway. :)

Yeah that is interesting on who in the series coordinated some of the car changes early on. Wonder if that might be detailed in a Season One Script, if anyone in here has the working copy version.  

And I think my badge is in that same higher position you are referring to. I seem to recall you describing some time ago how Carl got involved in S2 to make improvements such as the tonneau cover, leather stitching on the seats, and such. And I think he also improved the look of the plexiglass on the nose, if I recall correctly.

(Wish I could get him or someone to make a matching tan leather tonneau up here. )

Ok thanks for clarifying, JN. I didn't recall that McB was out of the picture after the cars were leased/sold or that he wasn't the one adding the badges.

I do remember that scene where it appears Sonny is "shifting" his auto transmission where it's made to look like manual. I've done that that from neutral on occasion as well. Let the hot rods next to me think so anyway. :)

Yeah that is interesting on who in the series coordinated some of the car changes early on. Wonder if that might be detailed in a Season One Script, if anyone in here has the working copy version.  

And I think my badge is in that same higher position you are referring to. I seem to recall you describing some time ago how Carl got involved in S2 to make improvements such as the tonneau cover, leather stitching on the seats, and such. And I think he also improved the look of the plexiglass on the nose, if I recall correctly.

(Wish I could get him or someone to make a matching tan leather tonneau up here. )

My friend, finding someone to do upholstery is a chore.  I waited seven months for seat covers and they ended up $300 more than the quote.  The final price was not terrible, but more than expected.  I actually used a furniture upholstery shop to do my tonneau cover (the owner and I went to high school together).  And trying to get them to do something outside the box is next to impossible!!!  

CameraDaytona has met and questioned McBurnie about his car and gave me a lot of good information, but all of McBurnies records burned in the late 80s.  So you have to rely on his memory, which as you say has been somewhat skewed by the legal process.  Carl has some of the same issues, his brother did most of the actual work on the Camera Car and the Stunt Car.  Carl's brother died in the late 80-early 90s.  And the didn't really keep any records of there work or changes.  CameraDaytona and I have been lucky to pick Carl's brain over the last few years, but some of his recollections are really foggy.

JN

Edited by jurassic narc
  • Like 1

I may have an explanation of where the Spinners on Sonny's car came from, I did a quick ebay search and this showed up from T ruttlands:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Silver-Wheel-Caps-456M-/250883103190?hash=item3a69cc59d6&vxp=mtr

and I remember that during the car chase from the hidden it showed that the 308 had them, so maybe they were sourced from Ruttlands and were for a 308 originally?

here you can see it at 1:50

also I remember that it seemed like sonny was legitmately shifting when chasing the black merc in the Phil collins episode, but what I would like to know is what happened to the seats after the pilot

did they get removed, replaced and thrown out, did someone keep them and put them in something else or did they just take the custom bolsters off of the sides and the headrest and returned it to a stock configuration?

and as to why I phrased it that way its because I kinda wonder if it was a different kind of leather that was used for them initally, as it seems like the leather itself seemed different in the next episode.

I could be wrong but I gotta wonder if they didnt modify them, but rather just outright replaced them.

I may have an explanation of where the Spinners on Sonny's car came from, I did a quick ebay search and this showed up from T ruttlands:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Silver-Wheel-Caps-456M-/250883103190?hash=item3a69cc59d6&vxp=mtr

and I remember that during the car chase from the hidden it showed that the 308 had them, so maybe they were sourced from Ruttlands and were for a 308 originally?

Those are nice but they are quite different than mine, if you have a look at the picture I posted above several posts ago. Mine are raised metal Prancing Horse and Logo (bas-relief) on a yellow-gold background, with a silver metal border.

Not sure if they are the real article or a knock-off made for the Zenith or by Zenith.

Interesting find though on the video clip, as the background looks like mine, and only seems to be missing the Ferrari lettering.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Thanks, actually its kind of funny, after finding that video I managed to track down some Radio Show from Myspace that played that song, I saved the recording and cut it down with an audio program a friend of mine sent me, and made my own bootleg of it lol

also this is what I'm listening to in the background while I type this lol

But with the spinners there is another possibility, it could be something that Carl Roberts made or someone got from Rowley Corvette, as looking through my highly disorganized Photo section for the cars (b

the Rolwey Corvette that was in France, the white Carl Roberts Replica from Ebay being sold by you know who from awhile back and your car all seem to have the same design on the Caps:

and sorry I cant seem to upload the photos so I'm gonna have to go off of this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos-automobiles/3033789543/

also I just found this as well

Edited by Kavinsky

But with the spinners there is another possibility, it could be something that Carl Roberts made or someone got from Rowley Corvette, as looking through my highly disorganized Photo section for the cars (b

the Rolwey Corvette that was in France, the white Carl Roberts Replica from Ebay being sold by you know who from awhile back and your car all seem to have the same design on the Caps:

and sorry I cant seem to upload the photos so I'm gonna have to go off of this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos-automobiles/3033789543/

also I just found this as well

That first one does look like mine as to the horse and color of the background, though I can't make out any Ferrari lettering, but even the swept design of the spinner is like mine.

So my car is made by McBurnie as per the documents I have, but would he have sourced items like these from Rowley?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

That first one does look like mine as to the horse and color of the background, though I can't make out any Ferrari lettering, but even the swept design of the spinner is like mine.

So my car is made by McBurnie as per the documents I have, but would he have sourced items like these from Rowley?

I doubt that McBurnie would have bought anything from Rowley, as they were not friendly at all.  Rowley took McBurnies body kit and converted it to his kit.  I would think this is one of the items McBurnie began to source as he tried to make his kit more Ferrari-like.  Your car, if I remember correctly, has a faux Ferrari dash and console.  These came much later, as did the pop-up lights.  All these changes were to replicate the real Ferrari Daytona.  Which is why Ferrari won the court battle, McBurnie and Roberts openly tried to replicate the actual Daytona.

Hmm thing is though didnt rowley avoid this lawsuit by telling people not to stick the ferrari badging on them?

so wouldnt this mean that this is something that Carl came up with if it wasnt mcburnie or rowley?

Hmm thing is though didnt rowley avoid this lawsuit by telling people not to stick the ferrari badging on them?

so wouldnt this mean that this is something that Carl came up with if it wasnt mcburnie or rowley?

Most likely an aftermarket type product.  Carl and Tom McBurnie did not get along at all.  As the replicars started to boom, I feel sure that several companies began to offer products like this.  Until about 1985 why would you bother to manufacture wheels that fit a Corvette with a Ferrari logo?  Which would explain the cars used on the show only having the nose and trunk badging.

Most likely an aftermarket type product.  Carl and Tom McBurnie did not get along at all.  As the replicars started to boom, I feel sure that several companies began to offer products like this.  Until about 1985 why would you bother to manufacture wheels that fit a Corvette with a Ferrari logo?  Which would explain the cars used on the show only having the nose and trunk badging.

Assuming you mean the yellow/gold Ferrari caps, they could be aftermarket but I haven't checked with Ferrari suppliers to see whether they are OEM.

But as I said in an earlier post, because of the unique fittings of the cap to the wheel I suspect they were either made by Zenith or that Zenith ordered them for their wheels.

As to the timing of when these might be made, does anyone know when the other replica manufacturers started out?

On an unrelated subject, has anyone had to replace their trunk mounted Power Antenna Assembly?  Mine is the type with the coiled nylon insert and the nylon has been cut to resemble teeth to work like a gear mechanism.

I'm trying to find a source for either the assembly or, preferably, just the nylon insert replacement.

Assuming you mean the yellow/gold Ferrari caps, they could be aftermarket but I haven't checked with Ferrari suppliers to see whether they are OEM.

But as I said in an earlier post, because of the unique fittings of the cap to the wheel I suspect they were either made by Zenith or that Zenith ordered them for their wheels.

As to the timing of when these might be made, does anyone know when the other replica manufacturers started out?

On an unrelated subject, has anyone had to replace their trunk mounted Power Antenna Assembly?  Mine is the type with the coiled nylon insert and the nylon has been cut to resemble teeth to work like a gear mechanism.

I'm trying to find a source for either the assembly or, preferably, just the nylon insert replacement.

Zenith was a Southern California company, so McBurnie could have worked with them to make the spinners.  McBurnie started to build his version of the cars in early 1985.  He started to convert to more Ferrari llike interiors, etc. in late 86 to 87 it seems. Oddest thing to me is that McBurnie never changed the grill.  That piece always stood out as non-Ferrari.

Try Ecklers Corvette.  I think they have a rebuild kit for the power antennas.

Zenith was a Southern California company, so McBurnie could have worked with them to make the spinners.  McBurnie started to build his version of the cars in early 1985.  He started to convert to more Ferrari llike interiors, etc. in late 86 to 87 it seems. Oddest thing to me is that McBurnie never changed the grill.  That piece always stood out as non-Ferrari.

Try Ecklers Corvette.  I think they have a rebuild kit for the power antennas.

I meant does anyone know when the other manufacturers of replicars started (other than McBurnie) as that might set a date on when the wheel manufacturers began.

The grill is not the most elegant part of the MCB design for sure, and I try to keep a shine on mine as much as possible because it dulls easily.

Also think the deck area behind the seats was also not so well done (in my car's case) as it has a carpet covered wood piece covering the battery and other electronics.

Thanks for the Ecklers referral as I have not checked there. I was looking for an entire power assembly because the mast on my antenna is longer than many I have seen on Ebay and other places. Really was just the nylon cord that has broken on mine and I think it can be replaced if available.  

I meant does anyone know when the other manufacturers of replicars started (other than McBurnie) as that might set a date on when the wheel manufacturers began.

The grill is not the most elegant part of the MCB design for sure, and I try to keep a shine on mine as much as possible because it dulls easily.

Also think the deck area behind the seats was also not so well done (in my car's case) as it has a carpet covered wood piece covering the battery and other electronics.

Thanks for the Ecklers referral as I have not checked there. I was looking for an entire power assembly because the mast on my antenna is longer than many I have seen on Ebay and other places. Really was just the nylon cord that has broken on mine and I think it can be replaced if available.  

Most of them used McBurnie's molds either licensed or otherwise.  And really McBurnie's molds belonged to Mardikian.  But in answer to the question, about the time the Daytona was destroyed on MV (spring-fall of 86).  Carl was most active in 87-91.  By the 90's there were aftermarket chromodore wheels that fit the Corvette.

I don't get why the deck behind the seats is like that.  The Camera Car is that way, as well.  My car was covered with a fiberglass insert, but I cut it back to allow for the Corvette doors.  I recarpeted the 2 lids with the Mercedes carpet I used in the rest of the car.  It looks better and is more functional.  But Carl and even Rowley changed to a more Ferrari like grill, and why McBurnie changed the interior and yet never changed the grill is beyond me.

JN

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta wonder just how much air actually gets through the mcburnie grill it vs the Rowley cloned one actually, and if it was rigged up to try and feed the engine air from below, as I remember reading in the C3 book that, that is where they got most of their air for engine cooling apparently.

I dont know how true that is though.

but you could try and take it to a bodyshop and request that they chrome paint the grill Sonny, it would probably make the upkeep on it far easier on you.

although then you gotta take the bumpers off to get it out first off, but you could also ask for a darker colored silver or stainless like color for it, to maybe give it a more subtile look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenjonbro/8232696121/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44359033@N03/5164705274/

like they have on modern astons nowadays.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenjonbro/6144674001/

with the other makes though, you gotta figure its all post 1984, with about a 6 month to a year setup time just to start making and selling the parts, so its gotta be mid 1985 at the earliest for most of these makers

like Rowley or Carl Roberts using the supplied parts and bodies from Mcburnie

including Dick Gulstrand I guess, and some makers using corvette C4's as the basis, as one just showed up on ebay a few weeks ago actually and I found a photo of him next to a C4 replica awhile back I saved I believe.

and here as well

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0049/index.html

although rebodying corvettes had been done before so some might have had an edge on this new market from the start

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0032/index.html

short answer hard to say but earliest outside of Mcburnie would have had to of been mid 1985 to early 1986, after all it woried Ferrari enough to have them give the show two new cars, when back in 1979/1980 they refused to give magnum PI a 308

forcing them to actually aquire the car for the show supposedly, used models though.

Edited by Kavinsky

I gotta wonder just how much air actually gets through the mcburnie grill it vs the Rowley cloned one actually, and if it was rigged up to try and feed the engine air from below, as I remember reading in the C3 book that, that is where they got most of their air for engine cooling apparently.

short answer hard to say but earliest outside of Mcburnie would have had to of been mid 1985 to early 1986, after all it woried Ferrari enough to have them give the show two new cars, when back in 1979/1980 they refused to give magnum PI a 308

forcing them to actually aquire the car for the show supposedly, used models though.

The Daytona looks like to me it moves more air than the C3 did.  The opening is pretty big, and the grill is strictly cosmetic.

Good observation about the Magnum car, the MV Daytona really did kick off that whole industry. 

but you could try and take it to a bodyshop and request that they chrome paint the grill Sonny, it would probably make the upkeep on it far easier on you.

although then you gotta take the bumpers off to get it out first off, but you could also ask for a darker colored silver or stainless like color for it, to maybe give it a more subtile look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenjonbro/8232696121/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44359033@N03/5164705274/

I think the airflow is OK on mine, and my temp issue is likely the old gummed up radiator (that I have yet to replace) or possibly a sensor issue that REHolmes tried explaining awhile back, though I have yet to locate it. (not a mechanic here).

As to the chrome paint, that's an interesting suggestion but I don't have any experience with it as far as adhesion to some aluminum alloys, or how well the paint actually holds up to weather and such. Anyone in here ever used it?

On the 308, I think I read somewhere that each season the show picked up a new car for the season. And then they were sold off afterward. Not sure about what if any subsidies Ferrari would provide, but given the popularity of that show, and the prominence that the car was featured, I'd be surprised if Ferrari weren't making some sort of a major contribution on the costs.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Yeah I would say the radiator, its the one big part of the car that cools it and if its bad it doesnt matter what you fix outside of it, its just not gonna cool well.

I dont know with the magnum thing, as I remember reading and seeing that the cars got pretty banged up during the shows run.

namely having a bumper crushed in, ruined front quarter panel that looked like someone cut into it with a can opener, the entire front end bashed in, broken rear window, broken front window, the thing sprayed with oil, ect ect.

to say the least he had worse luck with that ferrari than hunter did with his cars.

I think the airflow is OK on mine, and my temp issue is likely the old gummed up radiator (that I have yet to replace) or possibly a sensor issue that REHolmes tried explaining awhile back, though I have yet to locate it. (not a mechanic here).

As to the chrome paint, that's an interesting suggestion but I don't have any experience with it as far as adhesion to some aluminum alloys, or how well the paint actually holds up to weather and such. Anyone in here ever used it?

On the 308, I think I read somewhere that each season the show picked up a new car for the season. And then they were sold off afterward. Not sure about what if any subsidies Ferrari would provide, but given the popularity of that show, and the prominence that the car was featured, I'd be surprised if Ferrari weren't making some sort of a major contribution on the costs.

I had to replace my radiator, but once I did all my problems seemed to be resolved (including some wiring issues I mentioned earlier in the thread).  I have now had my fans adjusted up to 200 degrees (from 180) as I am told the car will perform better with the engine a little hotter.  I have anxiously watched the gauge, but it barely gets above 200 before it settles right down.  And other than the water pump, there is little mecheanical to affect your engine temp.  The front of the car is open enough that you should get plenty of air.  My hood vents were closed, and I opened them up just to help with air flow.  Really ready to get the car out and melt some dinosaur remains.

I had to replace my radiator, but once I did all my problems seemed to be resolved (including some wiring issues I mentioned earlier in the thread).  I have now had my fans adjusted up to 200 degrees (from 180) as I am told the car will perform better with the engine a little hotter.  I have anxiously watched the gauge, but it barely gets above 200 before it settles right down.  And other than the water pump, there is little mecheanical to affect your engine temp.  The front of the car is open enough that you should get plenty of air.  My hood vents were closed, and I opened them up just to help with air flow.  Really ready to get the car out and melt some dinosaur remains.

Interesting about what you were advised on running a bit warmer (thermostat setting?)  as I think I had mine set to somewhat higher than your old setting (maybe was 195). I think the former Vette mechanics I used a couple years back or so also indicated the small block was supposed to run warm and they even said that running at 240 F was not an issue. Mine was running from 220 to 240 for a time. I really never could accept that though, and so I had the thermostat replaced to keep it running cooler, and of course also found subsequently that the electric fan was wired in reverse. So the car generally stays around 180-200 when I run in the summer, and a little warmer with the compressor running and in stop and go traffic.

But I'm pretty sure though all my temp issues will end once I go to a new or refurbished radiator and perhaps replace the temp sensor.

Your vents were closed off...wonder why that was done?

When you say you had electrical issues, were you referring to the gauge sensors?

"melt some dinosaur remains" lol. I hear that..we have had record snowfall here in January and even through yesterday after getting another 4 or 5 inches.

Feel a serious case of winter blues up here in the north for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be that it was done to guard against the rain, as vents in the hood can lead to water dripping in and getting on the spark plugs overtime with daily drivers and could rust and damage parts on the inside.

which I think is part of the reason why you dont see cars like the Ferrari 308, Ferrari 365 BB/512BB/Testarossa series anymore

along with the Porsche 914 and 1968 Shelby KR GT500 which all had vents in the hood

of which I'm wondering if that was why my old mans 914 was such a pain in the ass for him to live with, as I think the baffles for the air ducts got stuck in the closed position and starved the engine of air and caused it to overheat and stop more than once.

as they would start in the closed position when started, then the baffles would warm up and contract, to fuel the cars motor with air but over the course of 5 years the things just never worked right when new or old on the 914, mind you he got one of the first ones.

and supposedly the car wasnt sorted until 1973/1974 by porsche, which goes to show if you can buy what someone is known for, not there latest experement in marketing.

but I wonder if that was mostly the result of the engine being air cooled and open to the elements.

Also this poped up on my radar recenly about the Volo Car:

I dont know if I buy it or not about it being red or the bodywork being crunched like it supposedly was on Car 1, but I would think that would mean for it to fit the chassis would have had to been have similarly warped for it to even fit.

also its kinda funny looking at it like this, it heavily reminds me of the First Gen Viper RT 10, which might explain why I really resonated with the car in the first place really

hell the early vipers even had Momo Veloce like steering wheels at first along with very similar seats to the pilot seats, and I think the Daytona looks better too but same general framework really.

Edited by Kavinsky

Could be that it was done to guard against the rain, as vents in the hood can lead to water dripping in and getting on the spark plugs overtime with daily drivers and could rust and damage parts on the inside.

which I think is part of the reason why you dont see cars like the Ferrari 308, Ferrari 365 BB/512BB/Testarossa series anymore

along with the Porsche 914 and 1968 Shelby KR GT500 which all had vents in the hood

of which I'm wondering if that was why my old mans 914 was such a pain in the ass for him to live with, as I think the baffles for the air ducts got stuck in the closed position and starved the engine of air and caused it to overheat and stop more than once.

as they would start in the closed position when started, then the baffles would warm up and contract, to fuel the cars motor with air but over the course of 5 years the things just never worked right when new or old on the 914, mind you he got one of the first ones.

and supposedly the car wasnt sorted until 1973/1974 by porsche, which goes to show if you can buy what someone is known for, not there latest experement in marketing.

but I wonder if that was mostly the result of the engine being air cooled and open to the elements.

Also this poped up on my radar recenly about the Volo Car:

I dont know if I buy it or not about it being red or the bodywork being crunched like it supposedly was on Car 1, but I would think that would mean for it to fit the chassis would have had to been have similarly warped for it to even fit.

also its kinda funny looking at it like this, it heavily reminds me of the First Gen Viper RT 10, which might explain why I really resonated with the car in the first place really

hell the early vipers even had Momo Veloce like steering wheels at first along with very similar seats to the pilot seats, and I think the Daytona looks better too but same general framework really.

All I can say is that Camera Daytona has examined the car and says it is not the car.  And he got all around and under it.  And I can be absolutley sure that the car doesn't have the right numbers on it, because I have seen the ID plate for Car 1.