The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Eh sorry I should have been more precise with my language, I think they might have been used as a template, using some of the hardware

sorry one of the perrils of posting late at night just before one goes to bend, BED lol

Ear infection past couple of days too, doesnt help lol

• 5 weeks later...

This interview is just great. The never seen pictures and the never heared, new informations are awesome. Thank you very much :happy:

Edited by Pritt

• 2 months later...

For Sale.  Here are some parts with "Vice History".  Installed in car #1 presumably by Carl Roberts after the TV series and before Speed Zone.  We pulled these out of the car when we restored the interior to be more TV correct.  Make me a reasonable offer! I have no use for them. 

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

• Like 1

And were these the parts that were in the car when u you guys had it on display (with the 'Vice' videos playing in the background) the past few years?  I've seen that car in person a few times

These are the parts Carl installed right after the series and have been in the car since.  The were used in Speed Zoneand essentially they are the parts to have caused the car to be lost for so long since they were not TV series correct. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2018 at 7:20 PM, volobrian said:

A few more.  

BA4100B1-F5E8-44EF-BF77-B0BBF57AEDB1.jpeg

B3238C8C-BE82-4E53-BD11-A890DB5440D1.jpeg

FE729292-6FFE-4757-88A9-25A33A7D504B.jpeg

2AC90390-F7E1-4126-AB4C-D4FD9296EE80.jpeg

2CB7476E-FD2B-4B16-86B6-0D28A4A782C5.jpeg

On 2/23/2018 at 10:42 AM, volobrian said:

Some progress photos of Car 1, getting Roberts changes reversed.  Corvette dash back in place and building out the Ferrari bump, building the screen accurate door panels from scratch, new upholstery to match the original, wire wheels are out for re-chroming, added a top (there was no top at all on the car).  Supposed to be completed mid-March.  

vice 12.jpg

vice 11.jpg

vice 10.jpg

vice 8.jpg

vice 7.jpg

vice 6.jpg

vice 5.jpg

vice 4.jpg

vice 3.jpg

vice 2.jpg

Just reposting the photos from last year of the Volo Car1 restoration project mentioned in another thread. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know its not the real thing but $20.000, which seems to be the average price for a Daytona replica seems rather low.

You Could Own This Ferrari Daytona Spyder (Replica) For Just $20k - Found in the Classifieds

You Could Own This Ferrari Daytona Spyder (Replica) For Just $20k - Found in the Classifieds

This one for example is for sale at $20.000.

It really all depends what you are looking for.  There are several builders and options available.  

I just bought mine about 2 months ago and have just kicked off a 2 year restoration project on the car.  

First thing you have to do is decide do you want a Ferrari clone or a Miami Vice clone or just a Daytona replica?  For me I wanted a Miami Vice Clone which ment: 1)McBurnie Build, 2)Black exterior tan interior, 3)Alfa Romeo door handles 4)metal bumpers and rear taillight 5)automatic 6)Wire Wheels 7) 1981 frame  These were my basic configurations.  

My first step is to get the car mechanically sound.  Fortunately I can wrench on the car myself, and parts are dirt cheap (compared to a real Ferrari)  Over the winter I will work on the basic "mechanics" of the car...new front and rear suspension, new shocks, new brakes/calipers/lines, tune up, etc.  Next will be to completely remove the interior and redue so its perfect.  After that new 350 engine with rebuilt automatic.  Since I'm recreating the Hero Car (car 4) Season 2 usage, I am going to keep it automatic.  I'm building the engine which should put out around 350-400HP when I'm done.  

My plan is to use the car for promotional purposes and business promotion.

You can follow the build and the updates on @rentthevicecar on instagram.  

Image may contain: 2 people, car and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people, car and outdoor

• Like 1

Well if you need help with parts I've been doing research into the weakpoints of the corvette, as the idea I always had was to make something abit more unique than a cobra replica, but it had that big shoulder look that that car has, but the problem is finding support for it, as cobra replicas their still making to this day, and you find people making parts and chasis's and all that for them to this day too, while the C3, it seems like its only in the past 10 years people have even started to really try to modernize them.

which with an old car is REALLY something you need these days

plus the thing about a vette is its gotta be about the engine, its gotta be souped up and powerful, if its not your doing it wrong, as its a heavy fiberglass tub after all (which is where all the support for the chassis is would you believe, hence why it was made thicker on the replicas to help with that) and apparently Elderblock has soup up kits for the old chevy 350's and then theirs the handling, which Duntov motors seems to have the illusive steel leafsprings the big block cars had, which i have been looking for for a coons age as it seems like if you dont have that it can cause premature wear on the axels with larger tires, which are a must for me, like those things do NOT like nice large drag radial size tires it seems, plus it turns out the things operating on a ladder chassis, just like every old muscle car of the era, the only thing unique about it was the rear suspension design, so if you can add extra stiffness and bracing, or have the wields redone by a pro to tighten it up abit, it always pays to do it.

and also i came across this in a random Bing search

https://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/55704809-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

That is a Mcburnie Replica with Borrani Wire wheels, and it utterly transforms the car, as theirs always been something off about it that bugged me, and I guess this whole damn time it was the shoes lol

and the tires are correct too, Michelin 215/70/R15's with 225's in the rear, as theirs a whole boatload of imagines I came across from it.

like to think all they needed to do was polish the grill, change the windshield trim to black and put on the wheels from the real thing and I bet even Enzo wouldnt have noticed it was a replica lol

also abit of a funny note, years ago I remember bringing up hey did they have a light on the tail pipes of the thing in the pilot and the early episodes, and after watching a vinwiki episode on how much of a Douche Tanner Foust was on American Top Gear, it turns out that might have been a sign that the fuel mixture for the car was too rich, and was causing the catalytic converter to heat up, as the car did get a replacement block during its time on the show in S1 apparently, a side effect of it probably having a turbo but not the oil pressure and a properly tuned air to fuel mixture to keep up with it when they made the car in the first place.

as after all the corvette's were abit emmisions strangled in that period, especially the 76 car, so putting on a turbo would be a good way to get around it when they made them in the early 80's and they seem to work best with 240 to 250 HP as a baseline, which is what the c4 was modernized to put out in 84/85 ish,

Also most Hilariously, turns out that thing about the rims goes both ways, as I swear it makes this real TR look like a Pontiac fiero replica!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxulpsxV2oY

Edited by Kavinsky