The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

I recently did an interview for a blog about the Miami Vice Daytona.  Great article! Lots of pre-vice pictures too!  BTW, Happy 70th birthday Don Johnson!!!

https://jimsuva.typepad.com/blog/2019/12/miami-vice-screen-used-daytona-written-by-jim-suva-in-1984-a-new-tv-show-called-miami-vice-hit-the-air-waves-on-nbc-it.html?fbclid=IwAR0ryiUnh3dNoB5eQtD3AXI_8jbjY4SmUTaJbZ0jhPSca2QQUSMtlC0bjRo

Edited by volobrian
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 10:44 AM, volobrian said:

I recently did an interview for a blog about the Miami Vice Daytona.  Great article! Lots of pre-vice pictures too!  BTW, Happy 70th birthday Don Johnson!!!

https://jimsuva.typepad.com/blog/2019/12/miami-vice-screen-used-daytona-written-by-jim-suva-in-1984-a-new-tv-show-called-miami-vice-hit-the-air-waves-on-nbc-it.html?fbclid=IwAR0ryiUnh3dNoB5eQtD3AXI_8jbjY4SmUTaJbZ0jhPSca2QQUSMtlC0bjRo

Good article.  The only thing I noticed was that it says that Carl Roberts did not get the titles from Universal Studios for the 2 Daytonas.  In fact he did get the title for Car #4 but he did not get the title for Car #1 - which is one reason that he "rebadged" it as a 1981 using a vin plate and title from a friend.  I have a copy of the title for Car #4 which shows Universal Studios as the owner of the car.  It came from Carl Roberts.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 9:44 AM, volobrian said:

Nice interview and article Brian! Thanks for sharing. 

Was wondering if you have any additonal photos of your restoration process that you might be able to share?

Cheers, S-B. 

On 12/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, CameraDaytona said:

Good article.  The only thing I noticed was that it says that Carl Roberts did not get the titles from Universal Studios for the 2 Daytonas.  In fact he did get the title for Car #4 but he did not get the title for Car #1 - which is one reason that he "rebadged" it as a 1981 using a vin plate and title from a friend.  I have a copy of the title for Car #4 which shows Universal Studios as the owner of the car.  It came from Carl Roberts.

Greetings C-D, good to see you commenting.  I was wondering if in all your conversations with Tom M or Al M whether you learned the disposition of Cars 2 and 3? 

And I always thought it strange that Universal  would sell or transfer a vehicle without a valid title. Maybe there was some discussion on this but I'm not recalling. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

On 12/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Greetings C-D, good to see you commenting.  I was wondering if in all your conversations with Tom M or Al M whether you learned the disposition of Cars 2 and 3? 

And I always thought it strange that Universal  would sell or transfer a vehicle without a valid title. Maybe there was some discussion on this but I'm not recalling. 

I have never spoken with Al Mardikian.  As we know, he had the four Daytonas available at his facility after Tom McBurnie finished them.  Universal Studios originally leased car #4 to make the pilot MV movie - the only one painted black (probably because they initially had access to the real black Daytona).  Then, after NBC accepted the MV series, Universal went back to Mardikian and leased car #1 so they would have 2 cars available for making the series.  (S-B - I know that you know this but I am just reviewing it for others.)  I think we have seen some photos of cars #2 & 3, but I do not know where they are now.  (But it is an interesting question.)  Jurassic Narc may have some knowledge of cars #2 & 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

From the Tom McBurnie video clip posted on Volo cars Youtube page here are some stills of Car1: 

The first image shows clearly the square instrument window over the steering column as well as the wood trim described by McB. 

The second image shows the Gale Banks Twin Turbo engines originally installed before removed by the Miami Vice production team. 

Car1 Stunt Daytona from Volo Tom McBurnie interview.jpg

Car1 Stunt Daytona from Volo Tom McBurnie interview Gle Banks Twin Turbo.jpg

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RentTheViceCar said:

does anyone know if they used a mold off of another car to make the hump in the dash?

I remember jurassicnarc facing this issue and I think he did something with his interior guy to duplicate the hump. 

Unless we have anyone else in here that tried duplicating the dash I'm not sure where else to point you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

I remember jurassicnarc facing this issue and I think he did something with his interior guy to duplicate the hump. 

Unless we have anyone else in here that tried duplicating the dash I'm not sure where else to point you. 

I don’t remember the name of the upholstery shop in Orange County who did the dash for Car 4, but that is the dash we are most familiar with.  Car 1 had the same essential shape and features as a C3 Corvette dash.  Car 4’s dash was modified to fit the C3 instruments, but was revamped so much that you can’t say you could duplicate it by copying the hump.  The entire shape of the top of the dash was modified.  During the run of the show, car 1 had what appeared to be a cap fitted on the dash to give the hump shape.  Take a look at the close-up shots of the interior in Yankee Dollar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jurassic narc said:

I don’t remember the name of the upholstery shop in Orange County who did the dash for Car 4, but that is the dash we are most familiar with.  Car 1 had the same essential shape and features as a C3 Corvette dash.  Car 4’s dash was modified to fit the C3 instruments, but was revamped so much that you can’t say you could duplicate it by copying the hump.  The entire shape of the top of the dash was modified.  During the run of the show, car 1 had what appeared to be a cap fitted on the dash to give the hump shape.  Take a look at the close-up shots of the interior in Yankee Dollar. 

@RentTheViceCar, I found one of the invoices for my leather work and dash work.  Remember though mine was a faux Ferrari dash, and perhaps they also worked on the Show cars. 

It was done by:

Auto Design Mfg, Inc

4856 Voltaire St, San Diego   PH 619 223 7138   

They were still in business when I last checked several years ago and they were the subcontractor to McBurnie Coachcraft who built my car. 

@jurassic narc, Interesting...so the Car1 dash (not referring to the dash cover ) was as the photo above from the Volo video, which was the squared out window for the instruments over the steering column. I wondered whether the Car1 dash had been later modified to resemble that of Car4, which is smaller and more rounded as your pics showed? 

I never noticed the cap on the dash you referred to on Car1, so it must be different then in appearance than that of Car4. I haven't seen any good photos showing the differences there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 9:12 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

@RentTheViceCar, I found one of the invoices for my leather work and dash work.  Remember though mine was a faux Ferrari dash, and perhaps they also worked on the Show cars. 

It was done by:

Auto Design Mfg, Inc

4856 Voltaire St, San Diego   PH 619 223 7138   

They were still in business when I last checked several years ago and they were the subcontractor to McBurnie Coachcraft who built my car. 

@jurassic narc, Interesting...so the Car1 dash (not referring to the dash cover ) was as the photo above from the Volo video, which was the squared out window for the instruments over the steering column. I wondered whether the Car1 dash had been later modified to resemble that of Car4, which is smaller and more rounded as your pics showed? 

I never noticed the cap on the dash you referred to on Car1, so it must be different then in appearance than that of Car4. I haven't seen any good photos showing the differences there. 

Looks to be the standard C3 dash used for Car1.

If I am not mistaken, each of the four original cars was finished by a different upholstery shop.  Car 4 was done by a place in Newport Beach.  I tracked down the owner/operator through one of his side hobbies.  He was not very interested in my inquires, but he did tell me that he did the original door and dash panels to mimic the lines of a Ferrari dash without making any drastic changes (as the later faux Ferrari dashes did).

Yankee Dollar (13).jpg

• Like 3

On 2/12/2020 at 12:51 PM, jurassic narc said:

Looks to be the standard C3 dash used for Car1.

If I am not mistaken, each of the four original cars was finished by a different upholstery shop.  Car 4 was done by a place in Newport Beach.  I tracked down the owner/operator through one of his side hobbies.  He was not very interested in my inquires, but he did tell me that he did the original door and dash panels to mimic the lines of a Ferrari dash without making any drastic changes (as the later faux Ferrari dashes did).

Yankee Dollar (13).jpg

Yeah it does look like a C3 dash in Car1, but do you know if it was later modified to match that of Car4 for filming purposes? 

Hmm interesting about 4 different places doing the dashes on the 4 Daytonas. Newport makes sense since that's where Mardikian was based.

Are you saying that Car4 was originally done with a faux Ferrari dash, or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Because the faux Ferrari dash on mine looks quite different than that of Car4 and is fitted with the gauge cluster over the steering wheel instead of the center console as is on Car4.  And my dash cover doesn't have the big hump over the speedo. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Yeah it does look like a C3 dash in Car1, but do you know if it was later modified to match that of Car4 for filming purposes? 

Hmm interesting about 4 different places doing the dashes on the 4 Daytonas. Newport makes sense since that's where Mardikian was based.

Are you saying that Car4 was originally done with a faux Ferrari dash, or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Because the faux Ferrari dash on mine looks quite different than that of Car4 and is fitted with the gauge cluster over the steering wheel instead of the center console as is on Car4.  And my dash cover doesn't have the big hump over the speedo. 

These two photos will help explain things better.  The one with DJ is Car 1.  The standard C3 dash and gauges, with the thick dash pad to give the profile of the dash cap. 

Car 4 dash is a C3 dash and gauges, but dressed to look different.  This is not just a cover over the originals, as the dash top for the right hand 2/3 of the car is lower than the standard Corvette, and requires modifications to the ducting that feeds the vents on top. 

What we think of today as the faux Ferrari dash is a total replacement of the instrumentation of the car.  The four Mardikian cars kept the factory gauges and the majority of the duct work.

DJ%20CAR%20STARE.jpg

Bought and Paid For (6)a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This guy is like me...rolling around with no door skins.  Just got the convertible top replaced, now I'm working on a brake issue that I can't seem to track down.

If anyone is interested in following the build/restoration of my car you can check out

Instagram:  http://www.instagram.com/renthevicecar 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RentTheViceCar/

All my videos and pics are on my phone so it is just easier to post on those two sites instead of here.  

• Like 1

Yes I rent the car out for display and promotion.  No driving unless film or tv use and studio picks up the insurance.   We do offer a drop off service with one of our staff being the driver of the car.  

On 12/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, CameraDaytona said:

My mistake, thought there were not titles to either cars.  

On 12/15/2019 at 8:44 AM, volobrian said:

Loved the article. Had the same problem with my VIN. First title: Minnesota used McBurnie's serial number on build plate as the VIN. Second title: Illinois used Mcburnie's VIN, also on build plate, but it had a couple transposed characters. Third title: Arizona said, no way! The A-pillar VIN couldn't be traced either, so, the body must come off. The AZ inspector said there may be a VIN on the frame under the gas tank, you can take the car home and remove the tank and give me a call--of course, I had just filled the tank. After about 2 hours of scraping and searching, he found it, and in searching the record found that the car had two more--six VINs in all. My wife named the car, Vinnie.

Edited by reholmes
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got an email from Automobile Magazine this morning.  The email listed several stories from the magazine - one being "The Story Behind the 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder in Miami Vice".  In discussing the two Daytonas, it says, "Since being tracked down and discovered, the former Miami Vice star car underwent a restoration and is now on display at the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, Illinois. The other more polished example used for most of the shooting is apparently in the hands of a private collector."  (I didn't realize that mine was "more polished".)  Here is the Internet address:  https://www.automobilemag.com/news/miami-vice-ferrari-daytona-spyder-corvette-facts/?wc_mid=4035:18960&wc_rid=4035:639668&_wcsid=BD17B4140BEE120A87D50AAB9F2A35C5ADB356546EF7B0EC

• Like 3

On 4/18/2020 at 12:51 PM, CameraDaytona said:

I got an email from Automobile Magazine this morning.  The email listed several stories from the magazine - one being "The Story Behind the 1972 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder in Miami Vice".  In discussing the two Daytonas, it says, "Since being tracked down and discovered, the former Miami Vice star car underwent a restoration and is now on display at the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, Illinois. The other more polished example used for most of the shooting is apparently in the hands of a private collector."  (I didn't realize that mine was "more polished".)  Here is the Internet address:  https://www.automobilemag.com/news/miami-vice-ferrari-daytona-spyder-corvette-facts/?wc_mid=4035:18960&wc_rid=4035:639668&_wcsid=BD17B4140BEE120A87D50AAB9F2A35C5ADB356546EF7B0EC

I think it is fair to say that the Volo car was substantially changed from how it was on the show.  But kudos to Brian for working so hard to bring it back.  The Camera car is only slightly different from the way it was on the show.  Both are amazing examples of what was done in 1980 to make a workable example of a classic car (In the new Bond movie, the production team along with Aston Martin, created several examples of the DB5 to be used for stunts--since an actual Aston Martin DB5 could bring near a million dollars a copy).  I think people forget that the term Kit Car referred to dune buggies on VW frames until McBurnie constructed the cars that ended up on Miami Vice.  I think this is just another example of how Miami Vice was ahead of it's time.

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 11:51 AM, CameraDaytona said:

I just saw this today for the first time.  I spent the day polishing our car so it could be more polished :D

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2020 at 5:21 PM, jurassic narc said:

I think it is fair to say that the Volo car was substantially changed from how it was on the show.  But kudos to Brian for working so hard to bring it back.  The Camera car is only slightly different from the way it was on the show.  Both are amazing examples of what was done in 1980 to make a workable example of a classic car (In the new Bond movie, the production team along with Aston Martin, created several examples of the DB5 to be used for stunts--since an actual Aston Martin DB5 could bring near a million dollars a copy).  I think people forget that the term Kit Car referred to dune buggies on VW frames until McBurnie constructed the cars that ended up on Miami Vice.  I think this is just another example of how Miami Vice was ahead of it's time.

Thank you, couldn't have (or at least wouldn't have) been able to do it without yours and CameraDaytonas help!