Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

I've watched this.

I am actually surprised this was a box office flop. I liked this picture and the characters in it. Unusual plot, but entertaining. Cast is also good. Anne Archer is always fascinating and Elizabeth Perkins is also great fit for her character I belive and I like her much for her other starrings like He Say She Say(1991)

10/6.5 for me.

image.thumb.png.018671fdd8778ffeb57a81e7d6090449.png

Here Tom just shares some insights about how he approached his character:

• Like 1

Just watched the new 2024 Road House. The most disappointing thing to me was that I was mainly watching it because it's Florida Keys, but after I finished I read that it was filmed in Dominican Republic. Other than that can be a fun flick depending on what you like. Did not like all the CGI for car/boat crashes and fights, but I'm generally averse of computer graphics where more old school practical effects can be done. 

Gyllenhaal is certainly more ripped than Swayze was in the 1989 original - different standards today! I guess gotta rewatch the original now, don't remember a thing.

• Like 2

I didn't like this remake ... I think they could "remake" some really bad movies, but not the "classics".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Just watched the new 2024 Road House. The most disappointing thing to me was that I was mainly watching it because it's Florida Keys, but after I finished I read that it was filmed in Dominican Republic. Other than that can be a fun flick depending on what you like. Did not like all the CGI for car/boat crashes and fights, but I'm generally averse of computer graphics where more old school practical effects can be done. 

Gyllenhaal is certainly more ripped than Swayze was in the 1989 original - different standards today! I guess gotta rewatch the original now, don't remember a thing.

I found this very entertaining, but I never saw the original. A lot in this movie (especially Conor's character) was so over the top, which made things pretty humorous. I really enjoyed the wink-wink analysis from the "Charlie" character about the similarities to a western movie. I also enjoyed Joaquim de Almeida, whom I had not seen in a looooong time. It's definitely not a thought-provoking movie, but I say worth a watch if you're in the mood for some crazy action. 

13 hours ago, OCBman said:

I found this very entertaining, but I never saw the original. A lot in this movie (especially Conor's character) was so over the top, which made things pretty humorous. I really enjoyed the wink-wink analysis from the "Charlie" character about the similarities to a western movie. I also enjoyed Joaquim de Almeida, whom I had not seen in a looooong time. It's definitely not a thought-provoking movie, but I say worth a watch if you're in the mood for some crazy action. 

The original is also over the top, I mean Dalton there has the fatality move of ripping out enemy's throat for god's sake...

What the original also has is lots of boobs, that's the 80s for ya!

• Haha 1

Also, Patrick Swayze's "kimono shirt" is really cool. With this "oversize" full fit, relaxed style, and open chest, I can totally see it fitting Miami Vice. 

1Daltonshirtfront.thumb.png.62babfcfaf22f075c5d7c9f69ff2cf8a.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Also, Patrick Swayze's "kimono shirt" is really cool. With this "oversize" full fit, relaxed style, and open chest, I can totally see it fitting Miami Vice. 

1Daltonshirtfront.thumb.png.62babfcfaf22f075c5d7c9f69ff2cf8a.png

Oh man, that hair! I have to see this.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 8:06 AM, Paul Veres said:

The original is also over the top, I mean Dalton there has the fatality move of ripping out enemy's throat for god's sake...

What the original also has is lots of boobs, that's the 80s for ya!

I don't know if you can actually rip a guys throat out lol but it was to show that Dalton, even though he was the protagonist was no good for Elizabeth also.

Edited by RedDragon86

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I don't know if you can actually rip a guys throat out lol but it was to show that Dalton, even though he was the protagonist was no good for Elizabeth also.

Yeah I guess it was more subtle. In the 2024 Road House Dalton explicitly says he's a bad guy and has a more obvious redline and transformation into a berserk when pushed. 1989 Dalton was more oblivious to his inner monster. 

Rewatched Payback with Mel Gibson, not realizing I'm actually watching a different version with the antagonist boss being a woman we never get to see and thus a different ending. I think I liked the original version better, where he gets to kill Bronson.

33349243_so.thumb.jpg.3897b23a1a67b161197a5e8ecf1a4929.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payback_(1999_film)

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 3

Wow ... I missed this version of "Payback" ?!! ... I have to find it and see it. I really liked the movie when it was out.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

Wow ... I missed this version of "Payback" ?!! ... I have to find it and see it. I really liked the movie when it was out.

Yeah, I think the most of the difference is the last 15 minutes or so which happen at a train station instead of the house with kidnapped Bronson's son, which in this version just doesn't exist.

FYI it's on Amazon Prime for free (well, free if you pay for Prime):

https://www.amazon.com/Payback-Directors-Cut-Mel-Gibson/dp/B0CQFYYMMS

• Thanks 1

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

I hadn't at this in years so I decided to get it on blu-ray.

Have to say it's not very good, the acting is terrible and so is the writing. We learn nothing interesting about Freddy, he killed kids and that is it, but why? and they didn't even imply that he was a child molester, just a "child killer" cop out! he doesn't come across as this sick villain in the same vein as Michael Myers who's character is intriguing.

Where I think they went wrong was not showing any flashbacks of his former self. He is just this blundering idiot falling over trash guys while trying to catch teenagers.

I think it needed that Stephen King style production, like IT, where we see his evil doings back in the 60s and jump back to the present day on and off.

5/10

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

I hadn't at this in years so I decided to get it on blu-ray.

Have to say it's not very good, the acting is terrible and so is the writing. We learn nothing interesting about Freddy, he killed kids and that is it, but why? and they didn't even imply that he was a child molester, just a "child killer" cop out! he doesn't come across as this sick villain in the same vein as Michael Myers who's character is intriguing.

Where I think they went wrong was not showing any flashbacks of his former self. He is just this blundering idiot falling over trash guys while trying to catch teenagers.

I think it needed that Stephen King style production, like IT, where we see his evil doings back in the 60s and jump back to the present day on and off.

5/10

I haven’t seen it in years either, but if I remember correctly it was explained towards the end (by Nancy’s mom) who Freddy is & why he became the evil killer.

Its not an epic, Academy Award movie (it’s 80s slasher-horror :p), but I’ve always enjoyed it & found it pretty freaky & entertainingly-disturbing. :thumbsup: The sequels were definitely more ridiculous than the original.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I haven’t seen it in years either, but if I remember correctly it was explained towards the end (by Nancy’s mom) who Freddy is & why he became the evil killer.

Its not an epic, Academy Award movie (it’s 80s slasher-horror :p), but I’ve always enjoyed it & found it pretty freaky & entertainingly-disturbing. :thumbsup: The sequels were definitely more ridiculous than the original.

She does but just saying "he was a filthy child murderer" was not enough, just felt like a throw away comment.

I am not the type of viewer who wants everything spoon fed as I prefer things suggested  but I think in this case it's necessary. I actually think A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is better because more is explained and much more creepy.

It's the Terminator 2 of horror movies. It expands on the original, making everything bigger, bolder and more creative.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

She does but just saying "he was a filthy child murderer" was not enough, just felt like a throw away comment.

I am not the type of viewer who wants everything spoon fed as I prefer things suggested  but I think in this case it's necessary. I actually think A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors is better because more is explained and creepier.

The only things I like about Part 3 are Nancy is back, and there is a little more backstory shown on who & what Freddy was…but other than that it’s pretty goofball with the other characters & plot.

By then Freddy was popping out corny one-liners while slicing everyone up…it wasn’t scary anymore, just ridiculous & sometimes gross. “Nightmare” eventually became more of almost ‘comedy’ horror, than true horror or something terrifying. :rolleyes:

The original film is still the scariest & best of the entire franchise. The backstory given was enough…he’d been a local child killer who was “taken care of” by the parents after the courts did nothing. His evil spirit then found a way for revenge through people’s dreams. 

• Like 2

I just started watching season two of Tokyo Vice.

One of the plot points reminded me of Zito's death in "Down For The Count".

Miyamoto, a Vice detective is found with a needle in his arm, dead from an apparent overdose.

Fellow officers are not buying it, as he was fearful of needles.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc69ce39a7dda833ff6a2d787a240cf7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45c3e38544108645d3ec2e33c311e09a.jpeg

It immediately reminded me of Zito's death.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ff30621bfc2a52daadfd87116974c39.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e13221d9ff0196a0ff723dfcb36c6283.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/20/2024 at 8:35 AM, Dadrian said:

I searched to see if this one had been mentioned. Maybe I’m overlooking it, but I revisited this one from 1985 the other night. It’s one of my favorite 80s movies, easily! Great story, cast, performances, and soundtrack! Scored by Tangerine Dream, too! 

Vision Quest:

Got a hold of this one & watched it tonight. Awesome 80s music, several songs were used on MV too, and I loved Madonna’s cameo as the bar singer, lol! :) :radio:

However, not gonna lie, but it drug on a little for me…but, the performances were very good! Everyone (cast) was so young, lol…including the late actor Charles Hallahan, who later became ‘Captain Charles Devane’ on another popular 80s crime drama—Hunter.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, OCBman said:

I just started watching season two of Tokyo Vice.

One of the plot points reminded me of Zito's death in "Down For The Count".

Miyamoto, a Vice detective is found with a needle in his arm, dead from an apparent overdose.

Fellow officers are not buying it, as he was fearful of needles.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc69ce39a7dda833ff6a2d787a240cf7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.45c3e38544108645d3ec2e33c311e09a.jpeg

It immediately reminded me of Zito's death.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ff30621bfc2a52daadfd87116974c39.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e13221d9ff0196a0ff723dfcb36c6283.jpeg

Michael Mann did the pilot, I wonder if this was his input?

IMG_4193.thumb.jpeg.3b3914967e2a121f57c0a0b5e6673cea.jpeg

Recently in the “Can You Name the Film From This Screenshot” thread, the British-American hit BLOW-UP (1966) was mentioned.

Oddly, I had not heard of this one before. But, going by some info & recommendations given by @RedDragon86 & @Ferrariman I decided to get the Criterion Collection Special Edition Blu-ray…which by the way, is superb!! :clap: (Note: possible spoiler alert):

Anyway, this is definitely one of the most weird, out-there…yet fascinating & captivating films I’ve seen! It’s right smack-dab in the middle of the 60s in London…with wild, psychedelic colors (which I love :glossy:), swinging 60s music (including a bizarre but awesome cameo appearance by the “Yardbirds”), drugs, and sex. So you definitely have your visuals. ;)

But, the most fascinating thing (in my opinion) about the movie was…the plot. Well, what was the plot…what was the purpose or point? This movie was definitely a true example of ambiguity…other articles & reviews have used the terms ‘transcience’ & ‘elusiveness’. This is because…you’re not sure what the true purpose or point is??

David Hemmings stars as a somewhat egotistical fashion photographer…who, while taking pictures in an isolated park, encounters a strange woman (Vanessa Redgrave) and an older man. He snaps pictures of them on a whim, and she gets upset…demanding the film. However, he refuses.

Later, the woman somehow mysteriously shows up at his pad, and still tries to get the film or photos from Hemmings. He gives her another/fake role of film, she gives him a fake phone number…then leaves. Later he blows up (hence the name of the movie) the park-pics…and suddenly thinks he sees another figure hiding in the trees with a gun, looking at the woman & what obviously is her lover.

Then in another blow up, he thinks he sees the outline of a body, lying in the park! He now thinks he has proof of a murder. Then, he actually finds the body still in the park…yet doesn’t contact police, but goes to his pot-head friend & tries to explain. Then…later the body disappears & is gone! :eek:

So, this is the plot, right? Well…sort of. The entire rest of the movie is Hemmings’ character trying to track down this mysterious woman & find out more. But, yet there are many other characters and situations that are woven into the film.

Lots of importance seems to be put on many scenes & the events that take place in those scenes…yet, they don’t seem to tie in with the possible murder!

Hemmings’ character seems to be easily distracted & swayed by anyone & anything he encounters along the way. He seems to suddenly lose interest in his quest, and just goes with the flow of whoever & whatever he encounters in that moment…only to suddenly be brought back to the murder situation out of nowhere.

Then he thinks he sees the mystery woman…only to basically see her disappear! He finally returns to another part of the park & decides to watch these people doing a mime act of a tennis game (which the mime act was unbelievably good—my own throw-in out of nowhere :p)…ending with Hemmings having to pick up an imaginary tennis ball for one of the mime players…only for him to then actually start hearing the tennis ball and hits of the rackets.

He then stands for a few more minutes, watching (and hearing) an imaginary/mime tennis game…only to disappear himself! So, you’re like…what?? Did he find out if there was a murder…what happened to the body…where is the mystery woman? ?(

Perhaps Hemmings took a few moment-encounters with a woman, a few fuzzy background things in his photo blowups, and jumped to insanely exaggerated conclusions? But, what about the body? But, maybe you should ask…was there ever a man & mystery woman in the park at all? Was there ever a body?

Maybe they were all just figments of his imagination…maybe they didn’t exist and he was just crazy/insane? Maybe…he didn’t even exist? The movie definitely leaves it up to the viewer.

As bizarre and wild as it sounds…this film is definitely worth seeing, and rarely does a movie like this captivate me…but this one’s elusiveness & uncertainty makes it that much more entertaining! You watch…and you decide what, how & why.

My take (others may fully disagree): It was all a dream. Hemmings’ psychedelic, beautiful but bizarre, detailed but “choppy” dream! Dreams are very much like this film…your mind starts out with one thing, but makes sudden jumps all over the place—with other strange events, people, and things that don’t really tie into the original part of your dream. Yet, your mind puts importance on all of it…only to not have anything be what you thought!

I greatly enjoyed this movie, and at the time it was made it was very popular…it won some awards! Very British-60s, very colorful (literally & figuratively), amazing locations & cinematography, very wild & twisted…but very fascinating & captivating at the same time.

Not everyone is a collector like me…but, even if you don’t ever actually acquire this movie, it’s definitely worth seeing it somehow at least once! :thumbsup: 

IMG_4194.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4198.jpeg

IMG_4196.jpeg

IMG_4202.jpeg

IMG_4200.png

IMG_4201.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

I recently acquired another film noir that I previously had not heard of…Hell On Frisco Bay (1956).

With a powerhouse cast (screen legends Alan Ladd, Edward G. Robinson, Paul Stewart, etc…) and a relatable & intriguing plot (of revenge & justice), as well as stellar performances…this film is a fun & captivating movie about wanting revenge when you’re done wrong, but ultimately realizing there are more important things & people in your life!

Not an Academy Award, epic movie by any means…but still very relatable, enjoyable, and a welcome edition to my ever-growing collection! :clap: :thumbsup:

IMG_4206.jpeg

IMG_4205.jpeg

IMG_4207.jpeg

IMG_4208.jpeg

• Like 2

"Schindler’s List"

One of Spielberg’s more serious and better films.

Grade A rating.

Schindler's List (1993) - IMDb

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

it's been a while i didn't watch The running man. and for me it's simply one of the best 80s films, and one of the best featuring Schwarzenegger, if not his best. from acting, to plot, to actors, everything is solid into that movie. i also discovered it was inspired from a Stephen King book, and was directed by P.M. Glaser

The_Running_Man_(1987)_poster1.jpg.3e3fee6908bf74d71a06f8ab38df550a.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

it's been a while i didn't watch The running man. and for me it's simply one of the best 80s films, and one of the best featuring Schwarzenegger, if not his best. from acting, to plot, to actors, everything is solid into that movie. i also discovered it was inspired from a Stephen King book, and was directed by P.M. Glaser

The_Running_Man_(1987)_poster1.jpg.3e3fee6908bf74d71a06f8ab38df550a.jpg

It's also interesting that it stars Jesse Ventura as an antagonist, who just prior to this movie, in the same year, was on Arnold's side in Predator!

Sven-Ole Thorsen was also an antagonist in Conan the barbarian. he was also playing the bad guy right arm. in running man his appearance is anecdotic though

Edited by jpaul1