Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

On 6/11/2018 at 3:59 AM, Dadrian said:

Wow. This looks very good, indeed. Score by Wang Chung. Really cool. I gotta see this. Thanks!

I chose to dissect the editing and talk about that trailer stood up in a film class. There's a lot of cuts :p

Edited by Marc
  • Sad 1

COPYCAT (1995)

How I loved this movie! I hadn’t seen it in years, and suddenly thought of it the other day. I found my DVD last night, and just got done seeing it again (my old original VHS is boxed up somewhere).

For those who love a wild, on-the-edge-of-your-seat, but captivating & intriguing thriller, Copycat is a perfect example! The plot twists, characters, acting, sets, etc... are amazing, and I’ll never forget the 1st time I saw this movie—the email freaked out the girl I was with, lol! 

In ‘95 email was a pretty new thing (at least on my college campus)...not everyone had it and/or had even used or fully understood it yet. I hadn’t/didn’t at that time. In the movie the email Sigourney Weaver gets, with the video of the girl dancing around in bizarre-jerky motions—then suddenly her face changes to a skull & worms come out of her stomach :wuerg: , was crazy-creepy/freaky back then! The idea of some electronic message where you could manipulate how things moved or faces, or voices/sounds was pretty wild for the time! 

However, athough this movie is over 20 years old, watching it now it really doesn’t come across that “dated”...other than they don’t have their cell phones out 24-7. :p Superb cast, plot, directing, acting performances, etc... For those who haven’t seen this before, and who love nail-biting thrillers, but with in-depth intelligent plot lines—I highly recommend this movie! For those of us who have seen it...see it again! :cool: 

7B570196-6B6F-4785-8790-EB5C3FF2D9B7.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

COPYCAT (1995)

How I loved this movie! I hadn’t seen it in years, and suddenly thought of it the other day. I found my DVD last night, and just got done seeing it again (my old original VHS is boxed up somewhere).

For those who love a wild, on-the-edge-of-your-seat, but captivating & intriguing thriller, Copycat is a perfect example! The plot twists, characters, acting, sets, etc... are amazing, and I’ll never forget the 1st time I saw this movie—the email freaked out the girl I was with, lol! 

In ‘95 email was a pretty new thing (at least on my college campus)...not everyone had it and/or had even used or fully understood it yet. I hadn’t/didn’t at that time. In the movie the email Sigourney Weaver gets, with the video of the girl dancing around in bizarre-jerky motions—then suddenly her face changes to a skull & worms come out of her stomach :wuerg: , was crazy-creepy/freaky back then! The idea of some electronic message where you could manipulate how things moved or faces, or voices/sounds was pretty wild for the time! 

However, athough this movie is over 20 years old, watching it now it really doesn’t come across that “dated”...other than they don’t have their cell phones out 24-7. :p Superb cast, plot, directing, acting performances, etc... For those who haven’t seen this before, and who love nail-biting thrillers, but with in-depth intelligent plot lines—I highly recommend this movie! For those of us who have seen it...see it again! :cool: 

7B570196-6B6F-4785-8790-EB5C3FF2D9B7.jpeg

Not seen or heard about this - I’ll definately check it out sounds cool with a good cast too.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 3:59 AM, Dadrian said:

Wow. This looks very good, indeed. Score by Wang Chung. Really cool. I gotta see this. Thanks!

How haven't you seen To Live and Die in LA yet:p? It's kinda funny how the trailer looks like a feature length MV. William Friedkin must have watched the opening of Made for Each Other and thought "YES! thats our movie" It is awesome but ignore the silly names like Rick Masters and Richard Chance.:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Not seen or heard about this - I’ll definately check it out sounds cool with a good cast too.

Definitely do! :thumbsup: 

11 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Definitely do! :thumbsup: 

Thanks man I’ll check it out - always like Holly Hunter and Sigourney.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Thanks man I’ll check it out - always like Holly Hunter and Sigourney.:thumbsup:

Yup...good cast! William McNamara, Dermot Mulroney, and Harry Connick, Jr. also star. :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

On 6/10/2018 at 9:59 PM, Dadrian said:

Of course. I'm happy to recommend this movie. Its soundtrack really sticks in your head and there are some great scenes like the counterfeiting process scene that will do the same.

• Thanks 1

Yes the opening montage of the making of the counterfeit money is mindblowing for sure! They make it look so easy but actually it is far more difficult.

I heard that they printed the money with only one side showing so they would not get in trouble with the feds! They let them make a few that were both sided, but the bags of cash were all one sided so they could not "accidently" get into circulation!!! I heard that on some interview from some movie show a long time ago.

GREAT film any way you look at it.

That looks hilarious! I love Alec Baldwin......

Funny thing is I just ordered that DVD and it was rather difficult to get but I got one on order. I can hardly wait to pick it up now and watch the whole thing. !!!

Thanks for the trailer.

Yeah Miami Blues has the same director as Grosse Pointe Blank. I think that's how I probably discovered  it.

For the Star Wars fans of the forum I've found this YouTube to be really good at breaking down the behind the scenes stuff. 

This is fresh off the news that the stand alone Star Wars films have been put on hold after Solo lost money. 

Also Colbert's Late Show took a swipe at toxic "manbabies" fanbase for not enjoying the new movies. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

saw two movies last week, Adrift (don't bother) and Jurassic World Lost Kingdom (disappointing). can't say I enjoyed either of them.

I want to see Sicario 2 this week but haven't got a chance to see the first one yet with all the football on.

Suspiria (1977)

Probably the most visually impressive horror movie and pretty unrelenting in tension especially due to eerie sound effects coupled with an excellent Goblin score that is a part of this film's fright factor. It had been a while since I last saw this and remembered little of the plot as my previous viewings I was too caught up in the visuals and music to notice but this time I was a little more attentive and have to say it comes together better than I remembered especially remembering the Udo Kier scene going into the finale. The acting isn't what I'd call outstanding except maybe for Alida Valli's stern Miss Tanner but it gets the job done and didn't strike me as hammy for this type of film. The dubbing came across better on the new restoration as the audio has been given a proper remaster on the new Synapse DVD as well as the picture quality. This film is all about atmosphere, music and gruesome, over-the-top murder and the film truly delivers all that with an unmatched style. Not just a Horror masterpiece but a masterstroke of excellent production design and use of gorgeous neon lighting.

As an aside. I've seen the trailer for the remake, have little hope for it as like the remake of our beloved Vice they've gone in a completely different direction with drab and dingy environments and flat colors but if they can deliver on effective Horror and not be bogged down in slogging melodrama it might be okay. If they truly wanted to go outside the box then upping the amount of witchcraft and going with a less-PC tone of '70's exploitation the likes of Hammer Horror and Jess Franco would have them truly cooking with gas. Until then the true spiritual successor of this film would be Nicolas Refn's masterpiece The Neon Demon from a couple of years back.

• Like 3

Well I made a special order for :Miami Blues" and it showed up ok.

Put it in the player and to my dismay it said it was out of region! Damn...now I have to go buy a player from Brazil or something stupid!?!?!?

F#CK Amazon..........again. Why can't I make a simple transaction?

Went to see "Sicaro II" last night. Very dark, lots of violence and story was ok. Not a blockbuster sequal for me but fairly good. I give it a 7/10 but the original was fabulous 9/10.

I just finished watching Minority Report.

This is the first time that I have watched it since it came out on DVD some 15 years ago.

My verdict:  it is still a compelling movie today.

It asks many questions and offers many observations that are still relevant today and probably more than ever and in a way that the movie could not even have anticipated, especially matters of data privacy and the surveillance state. And when does a crime start being a crime, and at what point is somebody still innocent because the crime has not yet been committed? How much Big Data can a society tolerate? And we may not have pre-crime units now, but we are beginning to establish the next best thing to it with predictive policing and behavior-anticipating computer algorithms. In that sense, you cannot deny that this movie is still relevant today.

I've never read the actual short story Minority Report by Philip K. Dick, but you feel reminded of recent TV adaptations of his other work when watching the movie. They cover similar topics and issues as the movie Minority Report.

The special effects, another one of the big selling points of the movie when it came out, have aged reasonably well. The computer graphics of the cars in that one scene where they go down that vertical highway show their age because with today's rendering technology they would just look many times more realistic. But it's not so that it takes away from the viewing experience, and they still allow a sufficient suspension of disbelief.

The scenes where hand gestures are used to move images across a hologram screen also still look fairly modern and would probably not appear fundamentally different in a sci fi movie made today.  More than that, that concept has noticeably crossed over into real life with the way we use smartphones today.

The whole look and feel of the visuals isn't dated. One thing that is conspicuously absent is smartphones; instead, people have pliable, newspaper sized self-updating devices that display the news. Either that's just one of those things that you were bound to get wrong about the future in a movie from 2002, or maybe smartphones will have fallen out of use in the 2050s when the movie is set, who knows.

What you can't help noticing is also that there is a kind of dreamlike glow of light in nearly every scene, and colors are either starkly desaturated or deliberately oversaturated. So some intense post processing took place, which makes the whole movie feel like one big unreal dream sequence. Which kind of fits neatly with all the dreamlike visions the precogs have.

The ending is a slight disappointment because it becomes more predictable with every second that passes of the last two or three minutes of the film. I would have liked it to have more of a shock surprise ending, and not the one it did and which was almost completely foreseeable (not going to say more for those of you who have never seen it).

All in all, a decent sci fi movie, and the extended version which has some 140 minutes is well worth watching.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2018 at 2:04 AM, agent 47 said:

Suspiria (1977)

Probably the most visually impressive horror movie and pretty unrelenting in tension especially due to eerie sound effects coupled with an excellent Goblin score that is a part of this film's fright factor. It had been a while since I last saw this and remembered little of the plot as my previous viewings I was too caught up in the visuals and music to notice but this time I was a little more attentive and have to say it comes together better than I remembered especially remembering the Udo Kier scene going into the finale. The acting isn't what I'd call outstanding except maybe for Alida Valli's stern Miss Tanner but it gets the job done and didn't strike me as hammy for this type of film. The dubbing came across better on the new restoration as the audio has been given a proper remaster on the new Synapse DVD as well as the picture quality. This film is all about atmosphere, music and gruesome, over-the-top murder and the film truly delivers all that with an unmatched style. Not just a Horror masterpiece but a masterstroke of excellent production design and use of gorgeous neon lighting.

As an aside. I've seen the trailer for the remake, have little hope for it as like the remake of our beloved Vice they've gone in a completely different direction with drab and dingy environments and flat colors but if they can deliver on effective Horror and not be bogged down in slogging melodrama it might be okay. If they truly wanted to go outside the box then upping the amount of witchcraft and going with a less-PC tone of '70's exploitation the likes of Hammer Horror and Jess Franco would have them truly cooking with gas. Until then the true spiritual successor of this film would be Nicolas Refn's masterpiece The Neon Demon from a couple of years back.

I have Suspiria on DVD...amazing, bizarre, but captivating horror flick! :thumbsup:  Visuals, colors, and a creepy music score definitely “make” the film. Plot and acting are a little “out-there”, but you don’t watch this for Academy Award performances. You watch this to be freaked and grossed out! ;) 

The “sequels” done years later were too bizarre and just gross—not much sense or scare, and left you barfing :sick: & going huh?? ?(  But this original movie was definitely one-of-a-kind. Haven’t watched Suspiria in several years...may have to dig it out this October/Halloween.

• Like 1

Haven't checked out any of the sequels (or any of Argento's other films for that matter). I know none are quite the lightning in a bottle Suspiria was.

Scanners (1981)

Picked up the Criterion Blu-ray half off at Barnes & Noble recently. Despite the exploding head scene this feels like a lower key effort compared to where Cronenberg would go with his later works. Still a very solid and lower-budget Psychological Horror/Thriller with some still impressive special effects especially in the climax of the film and Cronenberg's usual gloomy, industrialized atmosphere on display this time with a remastered print that leans a little green at times but nevertheless looks great in motion. The lead, Stephen Lack, is honestly not all that memorable performance-wise but that can be overlooked as this film has a strong early performance by Splinter Cell voice actor Michael Ironside as the villain and a solid although a little mumbly at times performance by Patrick McGoohan as a scientist of sorts. Overall a very solid and entertaining classic that does feel fairly fresh despite plenty of other horror films about psychic abilities made after this. Would also make for a good double feature with Cronenberg's Stephen King adaptation The Dead Zone as both are centered around psychic abilities and are a bit different from Cronenberg's signature brand of Body Horror.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, agent 47 said:

Haven't checked out any of the sequels (or any of Argento's other films for that matter). I know none are quite the lightning in a bottle Suspiria was.

Yeah, Argento’s sequels and/or other films are too bizarre and gross...Suspiria was definitely his best! 

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, Argento’s sequels and/or other films are too bizarre and gross...Suspiria was definitely his best! 

I saw Suspiria only once a few Holloween's ago and was totally in to it.  It put a real scare in me and loved it! Got to watch it again in October.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I saw Suspiria only once a few Holloween's ago and was totally in to it.  It put a real scare in me and loved it! Got to watch it again in October.  

Suspiria...WITCH!! :p

7245BF8E-0E22-440F-9291-723CBA95787D.jpeg

80639C38-26E5-4D04-8F55-3514B0FC1A60.jpeg

• Haha 1

That Suspiria film looks extraordinary, never heard of it before until now so thanks.:thumbsup:

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

Caught this on TV and thought it was a pretty good bio-pic, I just kind of wish it was longer. Trying to condense such a monumental life into a 2 hour film is a daunting task, maybe a mini series or two part film would've been better, but it's hardly a negative to say I wanted more.

Idris Elba was great as Mandela, had voice down perfectly. I haven't seen him in many things but his charisma carries the whole movie, very impressive. They use a lot of that old age makeup to make the actors all crusty looking:). Naomi Harris was good as Mandela's wife Winnie and the film didn't shy away from stuff like "necklacing" etc. The filmmakers were careful in portraying the black on white violence as equally repugnant and that the only solution was blacks and whites living together harmoniously.

When we have the luxury of looking back on these pivotal moments in history like Apartheid or Civil Rights Movement knowing full well how everything turned out, it just emphasises how pointless the suffering was and how easily it could've been prevented.:( 

Stephen Lack in Scanners definitely had the right name as he lacked talent.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti