Miami Restaurants & Bars

airtommy

26 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Almost talked wifey into going back to Miami in Oct. I think I made her a fan of SoBe! Had the real discussion last night.

Great look forward to hearing more- hopefully you’ll have better weather in October it’s been a wash out. How long will you be there for ?

On 6/25/2018 at 1:43 PM, Dadrian said:

No, definitely not as cool! :) 

Just do a YouTube search on “how to make Colada coffee” or “How to make Cuban coffee”.

There are many different ways, but the Bustelo brand is the best to me.

That is what I use!   Bustelo!   Great, smooth flavor!:thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 4:41 AM, Matt5 said:

Sounds cool!

All you need is Cuban bread, or French if you cant find it...Sliced deli ham of your choice, Pulled pork, Valasic sliced sandwich pickles, mustard and swiss cheese!  

Put together and to flatten it put in a hot skillet and put something heavy on it, like another skillet and press down OR use a George Foreman Grill!   Just make sure you apply pressure to Flatten it like the Cubans do!

Easy!

Edited by jenny
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jenny said:

All you need is Cuban bread, or French if you cant find it...Sliced deli ham of your choice, Pulled pork, Valasic sliced sandwich pickles, mustard and swiss cheese!  

Put together and to flatten it put in a hot skillet and put something heavy on it, like another skillet and press down OR use a George Foreman Grill!   Just make sure you apply pressure to Flatten it like the Cubans do!

Easy!

Perfect for my Miami snack !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Perfect for my Miami snack !

yea!   Its god for lunch OR Dinner!     For a healthier option, like for myself..I just use 1 slice of ham 1/3 pound of pulled pork, reduced fat swiss, easy on the mustard just enough to taste and I gut the bread to reduce the carbs and I have some veggies on the side instead of french fries!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenny said:

yea!   Its god for lunch OR Dinner!     For a healthier option, like for myself..I just use 1 slice of ham 1/3 pound of pulled pork, reduced fat swiss, easy on the mustard just enough to taste and I gut the bread to reduce the carbs and I have some veggies on the side instead of french fries!

Sounds cool - I enjoy my Cuban s/wich at La Sandwicherie in SoBe.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:24 PM, Dadrian said:

That’s the brand, but unless you plan on using a lot every day, buy a smaller jar to ensure freshness is maintained. :thumbsup:

On 6/28/2018 at 2:24 PM, Dadrian said:

That’s the brand, but unless you plan on using a lot every day, buy a smaller jar to ensure freshness is maintained. :thumbsup:

That is the brand I use!

6 hours ago, jenny said:

That is what I use!   Bustelo!   Great, smooth flavor!:thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, jenny said:

That is the brand I use!

There’s no substitute when I want Cuban coffee. :fireworks:

I just ordered Bustelo online, come to find out they carry it in my local grocery store. I’ll be making Cuban coffee hopefully by end of week.

Matt, prob be in Miami for 2 - 2.5 days before we drive over rt41 again to SW Florida.

4 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I just ordered Bustelo online, come to find out they carry it in my local grocery store. I’ll be making Cuban coffee hopefully by end of week.

Matt, prob be in Miami for 2 - 2.5 days before we drive over rt41 again to SW Florida.

ZAQ if you plan to make a stop in the Bradenton/Sarasota area while driving the W. Coast let me know maybe we can share a coffee.  I'll give you my phone number by message.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dadrian said:

There’s no substitute when I want Cuban coffee. :fireworks:

ZAQ and Dadrian,

I've had quite a bit of experience making café Cubano over the years.  A former co-worker whose family came from Cuba in the early 60's gave me some tips quite few years ago.  When I saw the stuff for making it in her classroom, including an electric hot plate I asked her about it.  I now make it most every weekend morning and many summer weekday mornings.   Bustelo is ubiquitous in Cuban households and I always have some around.  Illy moka grind is also good as is Lavazza espresso grind.  One of you mentioned having the stove top pot.  I've used a MOKA pot by Bialetti for years, and now I have two different sizes.  They're one of the most common brands in Cuba as well, according to my friend.  They've been manufactured by that company since before World War II.  I've used the smaller pot so much I've twice had to replace the gasket to keep the pressure seal.  It's a cheap little kit I ordered online, shown below. 

If you're interested, here are some of her tips and some things I've learned along the way.  First, don't clean it with soap and water every time you use it,  Just rinse the parts with warm water and let them air dry on a dish towel.  It's aluminum and it can impart a slight flavor when new, but oils from the coffee form a layer after using it a few times.  If you vigorously clean it, the aluminum will continue to leach.  Second,  don't tamp down the grounds like you do for espresso.  Just fill it to the top.  There's not enough pressure created like a true espresso machine so tamping it will severely impede the flow of water through the grounds.  Plus, there is a pressure relief valve on the lower carafe that will blow open anyway.  Third, when you are brewing it, place a raw sugar like demerara or turbinado in the upper carafe to taste.  You can find these in the baking section of most supermarkets and they have a depth of flavor that blows refined white sugar out of the water.  Fourth, the moment you hear it bubbling, take it off the heat and stir vigorously the coffee and sugar in the upper carafe while the last little bit bubbles out.  I have little plastic that stirrers I use.  The sugar will dissolve almost completely unless you use way too much for the liquid amount, which would be insanely sweet.  You'll get a feel for how much you prefer after a few tries.  The intense heat of the coffee as it trickles onto the sugar also helps it dissolve better and makes for a smoother drink.  If you leave it on the heat too long after it bubbles, it becomes more bitter, so keep an eye.  It sounds a bit finicky, but I do it on autopilot now in just a few minutes, and my wife and I love it!  If you do try it, let me know what you think.  I've converted several other friends of mine.  :) 

moka-pot-gasket.jpg.4c92f5d3ec21912fe47062181b14c6ca.jpg

• Thanks 2

Wow great info. I will definitely try it out. I had one of those pots before. I need another one!

That’s the pot I just got in the mail a few hours ago. It makes 3 cups. How much sugar are you guys using for a 3 cup maker?

Thanx for the tips Pahonu!

19 hours ago, miamijimf said:

ZAQ if you plan to make a stop in the Bradenton/Sarasota area while driving the W. Coast let me know maybe we can share a coffee.  I'll give you my phone number by message.

We will be flying this time but will keep this in mind for next years road trip down there!

4 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

That’s the pot I just got in the mail a few hours ago. It makes 3 cups. How much sugar are you guys using for a 3 cup maker?

Thanx for the tips Pahonu!

Nice!  I use a heaping tablespoon for the 6 cup I use most often.  I try to evenly spread it around the bottom of the top carafe. Remember, these are demitasse they're referring to as cups, so about 2-3 ounces each, not mugs of coffee that we usually picture.  When I use the six cup one, it's about enough for two each for my wife and me, give or take.  I mentioned I make it a lot on summer mornings, like today  :) , but when it's warm out, I make it as I described and let it sit in the pot for five or ten minutes then pour it over a pint glass filled to the top with ice.  My wife likes it cold with milk, but I prefer it black still.

I forgot to mention, if you take the pint glass with ice and cafecito, in it and then really shake it with a metal cocktail shaker and strain it into another glass you get a really good drink with a thick foam head.  A different friend of mine who visited Italy a couple of years ago told me it was a popular drink there.  Apparently they even serve it this way in a martini glass.  I just put it in a pint glass.  If you don't add the sugar and brew it straight, you can add condensed milk and pour it over ice and you have a Vietnamese iced coffee.  You might be noticing I like coffee! 

Edited by pahonu
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Wow great info. I will definitely try it out. I had one of those pots before. I need another one!

Go for it!  They're only about 25 bucks for a mid-sized one like I have and I've used my six cup for at least 7 or 8 years.  It will probably last forever, but like I said, the gasket does need replacement after a while.

I’m familiar w/ the 3 cup thing being the demitasse style so how much sugar do you suggest for that amount?

Great Ice coffee tips too! Thank you!

14 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I’m familiar w/ the 3 cup thing being the demitasse style so how much sugar do you suggest for that amount?

Great Ice coffee tips too! Thank you!

I'd say start with two teaspoons and see what you think.  Use more or less as you like.  Cafecito is supposed to be strong and sweet, but ultimately it's what you like.  When I drink drip coffee or pressed coffee I don't use any sugar at all, actually.   A moka pot is about as close to espresso as you can get without investing in a machine, and I enjoy espresso on occasion and cappuccino as well, but cafecito is my preference.  Good luck and enjoy!

I looked up the shaken version popular in Italy and it's called shakerato.  That reminded me of something called affogato.  It's a dessert.  Basically make the coffee in the moka pot without sugar, pour it into a mug hot, filling it about half way, and add a scoop of ice cream.  I just like plain vanilla, but my wife says flavors with nuts are also a good combo.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 12:44 PM, pahonu said:

ZAQ and Dadrian,

I've had quite a bit of experience making café Cubano over the years.  A former co-worker whose family came from Cuba in the early 60's gave me some tips quite few years ago.  When I saw the stuff for making it in her classroom, including an electric hot plate I asked her about it.  I now make it most every weekend morning and many summer weekday mornings.   Bustelo is ubiquitous in Cuban households and I always have some around.  Illy moka grind is also good as is Lavazza espresso grind.  One of you mentioned having the stove top pot.  I've used a MOKA pot by Bialetti for years, and now I have two different sizes.  They're one of the most common brands in Cuba as well, according to my friend.  They've been manufactured by that company since before World War II.  I've used the smaller pot so much I've twice had to replace the gasket to keep the pressure seal.  It's a cheap little kit I ordered online, shown below. 

If you're interested, here are some of her tips and some things I've learned along the way.  First, don't clean it with soap and water every time you use it,  Just rinse the parts with warm water and let them air dry on a dish towel.  It's aluminum and it can impart a slight flavor when new, but oils from the coffee form a layer after using it a few times.  If you vigorously clean it, the aluminum will continue to leach.  Second,  don't tamp down the grounds like you do for espresso.  Just fill it to the top.  There's not enough pressure created like a true espresso machine so tamping it will severely impede the flow of water through the grounds.  Plus, there is a pressure relief valve on the lower carafe that will blow open anyway.  Third, when you are brewing it, place a raw sugar like demerara or turbinado in the upper carafe to taste.  You can find these in the baking section of most supermarkets and they have a depth of flavor that blows refined white sugar out of the water.  Fourth, the moment you hear it bubbling, take it off the heat and stir vigorously the coffee and sugar in the upper carafe while the last little bit bubbles out.  I have little plastic that stirrers I use.  The sugar will dissolve almost completely unless you use way too much for the liquid amount, which would be insanely sweet.  You'll get a feel for how much you prefer after a few tries.  The intense heat of the coffee as it trickles onto the sugar also helps it dissolve better and makes for a smoother drink.  If you leave it on the heat too long after it bubbles, it becomes more bitter, so keep an eye.  It sounds a bit finicky, but I do it on autopilot now in just a few minutes, and my wife and I love it!  If you do try it, let me know what you think.  I've converted several other friends of mine.  :) 

moka-pot-gasket.jpg.4c92f5d3ec21912fe47062181b14c6ca.jpg

I have this pot!  I bought it in Miami when I was on vacation there!   It makes GREAT Cuban Cafe!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 4:41 AM, Matt5 said:

Sounds cool!

This is how you make a  Cuban sandwich at home!

First you steam up the roasted pernil(pork in english) in a pot with a LITTLE water.   Just enough to warm.it up.

20180704_154116.jpg

Just now, jenny said:

This is how you make a  Cuban sandwich at home!

First you steam up the roasted pernil(pork in english) in a pot with a LITTLE water.   Just enough to warm.it up.

20180704_154116.jpg

Then, put mustard on bread.  Spread it, unless you want mustard blobs in your mouth..unless you you like that sort of thing! :dance2:

20180704_160207.jpg

Just now, jenny said:

Then, put mustard on bread.  Spread it, unless you want mustard blobs in your mouth..unless you you like that sort of thing! :dance2:

20180704_160207.jpg

After that, add warm pulled pork to bread.

20180704_160310.jpg

Just now, jenny said:

After that, add warm pulled pork to bread.

20180704_160310.jpg

Now..add swish cheese.   I used a reduced fat version!

20180704_160527.jpg

Just now, jenny said:

Now..add swish cheese.   I used a reduced fat version!

20180704_160527.jpg

Add pickles.  Valasic makes a brand that is already sliced thin just for sandwiches!

20180704_160727.jpg