Miami Restaurants & Bars

airtommy

Just now, jenny said:

Add pickles.  Valasic makes a brand that is already sliced thin just for sandwiches!

20180704_160727.jpg

Now the fun part...put sandwich lid on and SMASH EM!  Just like in the Cuban restaurants in Miami!

I used a plate and pushed hard as I could!

20180704_161058.jpg

Just now, jenny said:

Now the fun part...put sandwich lid on and SMASH EM!  Just like in the Cuban restaurants in Miami!

I used a plate and pushed hard as I could!

20180704_161058.jpg

Now time to eat!   Serve with a side of Maduro, or sweet plantain in English.

Hello Miami!

20180704_161836.jpg

• Like 2

Nice but I think you forgot to add the “ham” step haha :) although I do see it on your sammich (How us New Englanders call a sandwich!).

Do you toast/press your sammich on a griddle plate?

1 hour ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Nice but I think you forgot to add the “ham” step haha :) although I do see it on your sammich (How us New Englanders call a sandwich!).

I've not had it with pulled pork before, it's usually sliced.  The roast pork is usually marinated as well.  There is a small chain of Cuban bakeries here in SoCal called Porto's that are really popular.  They make great cubanos and medianoches, and they marinate the pork in some kind of citrus-based marinade.  I think orange.  https://www.portosbakery.com/dish-type/cafe/

A good way to press the sandwich without a machine or the ridges is to use a hot out of the oven cast iron skillet on top of the sandwich in another hot skillet on the stove-top.  The weight presses it down very well.  My wife has done it to good effect.  Now I'm hungry!  :)

Edited by pahonu

Ok boys & girls, nailed it on the first try! Cuban coffee and it came out perfect! This just made my Friday night.. all night... prob be up all night lol.

13F69386-2A2D-4BE7-BA0D-F458917D6D94.jpeg

409E226E-9D3A-43A4-B5E6-C38023B60604.jpeg

DD221179-C6D3-4DF5-BFD7-9B17D4AA7778.jpeg

EAA9DB6C-86CA-4787-9CE3-7DF2904A90E1.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Ok boys & girls, nailed it on the first try! Cuban coffee and it came out perfect! This just made my Friday night.. all night... prob be up all night lol.

13F69386-2A2D-4BE7-BA0D-F458917D6D94.jpeg

409E226E-9D3A-43A4-B5E6-C38023B60604.jpeg

DD221179-C6D3-4DF5-BFD7-9B17D4AA7778.jpeg

EAA9DB6C-86CA-4787-9CE3-7DF2904A90E1.jpeg

Nice!

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, ZAQ 178 said:

I Use my George Foreman grill.  I apply pressure to the top part of the grill you close to make sure it stays flat after I flattened it with the bottom of a plate on the cutting board!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 2:59 PM, pahonu said:

I've not had it with pulled pork before, it's usually sliced.  The roast pork is usually marinated as well.  There is a small chain of Cuban bakeries here in SoCal called Porto's that are really popular.  They make great cubanos and medianoches, and they marinate the pork in some kind of citrus-based marinade.  I think orange.  https://www.portosbakery.com/dish-type/cafe/

A good way to press the sandwich without a machine or the ridges is to use a hot out of the oven cast iron skillet on top of the sandwich in another hot skillet on the stove-top.  The weight presses it down very well.  My wife has done it to good effect.  Now I'm hungry!  :)

oh!  On page three, the ham is on there...I just forgot to make it a step!  I was so hungry, i just wanted it to be made already!:D

• Like 1

these coffee posts are interesting. sadly i'm the worst coffee make of the world. each time i tried it ended up into a major disaster. so i think i'll stick up with my organic freeze-dried coffee for now :). plus i lived in Colombia, so if i have to make another attempt one day, i'll try to find some Sello Rojo coffee that makes amazing coffee MDLPNXf.gif

Edited by jpm1

3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

these coffee posts are interesting. sadly i'm the worst coffee make of the world. each time i tried it ended up into a major disaster. so i think i'll stick up with my organic freeze-dried coffee for now :). plus i lived in Colombia, so if i have to make another attempt one day, i'll try to find some Sello Rojo coffee that makes amazing coffee MDLPNXf.gif

I just mentioned having Colombian food in another thread.  I love arepas!  They're kind of like Salvadorean pupusas.  I also like the plantains with cheese in them, but I forget the name at the moment.  I've even made changua a home after a student brought me some and gave me the recipe.  I actually really enjoy soup for breakfast no matter what anyone says.  :)  My wife and I found a Colombian restaurant here in Long Beach called El Paisa that we really enjoy.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

man, i could give my fortune for an ajiaco :). i didn't know about plantains with cheese, i know bocadillo with cheese. i know mostly Cundinamarca, lived 10 years there N7jJ1P6.gif

Edited by jpm1

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

man, i could give my fortune for an ajiaco :). i didn't know about plantains with cheese, i know bocadillo with cheese. i know mostly Cundinamarca, lived 10 years there N7jJ1P6.gif

Aborrajados is the name of the dish I mentioned con plantanos y queso.  I just looked it up.  They're battered and fried.  So good!!!  Is ajiaco a soup like changua? 

aborrajados.jpg.6fa764ba5f1c1c175bf75125bb2c72b6.jpg

• Like 1

changua doesn't speak to me. i maybe ate some but i don't remember. it was 30 years ago. i remember ajiaco, bocadillos, and buñuelos (Colombian ones). as expatriates we used to eat french mostly. when we ate Colombian it was mainly where we were out. which didn't happen that much. we lived in an expatriates camp in the jungle. because of several factors like the possiblity of being kidnapped, or the extreme poverty in the area, we were living in a vaccum. my dad was working on a dam

I remembered another espresso grind I have used to make cafecito.  Café La Llave  was one of the brands recommended to me by my Cuban friend.  It's in a green can.  I didn't like it as much as some others, but it was solid and easy to find and a bit cheaper, if I recall.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I saw it before I bought Bustelo. After some reviewing of both, Bustelo got the thumbs up from me. Thanks to Dadrian’s recommendation.

I’ve also tried Bustelo - recommended also.

On 7/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, jpm1 said:

umm, sounds yummy! 

You ever heard of Canoas?  They are WHOLE very ripe plantains with a long slit in the middle and it is stuffed with shredded chicken or ground beef topped with cheese!   It is a very common Puerto Rican appetizer (or main course) on menus in Puerto Rican restuarants.   The Plantain is deep fried first, then filled!

• Like 2

i don't know canoa. i never gone to PR, except during a stop once. i remember of plantains chips that were very common in Colombia. in almost any street you could find some. but it's more a snack, than a meal. remember chicharonnes (fried pork skin snack) too. this is among other things why i love Miami. having all these cultures at the same place give that city something particular, and unique. Marseille in France is a bit like that too. a city opened to the sea, where the cultures get mixed up

9 hours ago, jpm1 said:

i don't know canoa. i never gone to PR, except during a stop once. i remember of plantains chips that were very common in Colombia. in almost any street you could find some. but it's more a snack, than a meal. remember chicharonnes (fried pork skin snack) too. this is among other things why i love Miami. having all these cultures at the same place give that city something particular, and unique. Marseille in France is a bit like that too. a city opened to the sea, where the cultures get mixed up

no, any Puerto Rican restaurant in the U.S. it is on the menu.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

something that i'd really, really like to know it's if the small cafe seller we see in one episode is still there. for me this is one of the series most iconic places. i don't remember the episode. but Sonny is having peacefully a cafe in a small street shop. then a mobster second knife comes around, and put a gun into Sonny's ribs. but sonny makes a kind of gesture, and takes the guy gun. we can see the Testarossa parked behind

the bigfish is great loss. i mean Miami lost something there. because of the condos made around :evil:. these Miami river restaurants are Miami soul, and for me one of the most important things there, if not the most important

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpm1 said:

something that i'd really, really like to know it's if the small cafe seller we see in one episode is still there. for me this is one of the series most iconic places. i don't remember the episode. but Sonny is having peacefully a cafe in a small street shop. then a mobster second knife comes around, and put a gun into Sonny's ribs. but sonny makes a kind of gesture, and takes the guy gun. we can see the Testarossa parked behind

the bigfish is great loss. i mean Miami lost something there. because of the condos made around :evil:. these Miami river restaurants are Miami soul, and for me one of the most important things there, if not the most important

La Libertad Market Cafeteria on Flagler and 7th in Little Havana, I think is still open.  There's a thread about it somewhere, maybe for that episode or another it's in.

https://www.yellowpages.com/miami-fl/mip/libertad-market-la-3230214

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pahonu said:

La Libertad Market Cafeteria on Flagler and 7th in Little Havana, I think is still open.  There's a thread about it somewhere, maybe for that episode or another it's in.

https://www.yellowpages.com/miami-fl/mip/libertad-market-la-3230214

Best Cafe Cubano in Miami! And we tried everywhere. :) 

• Haha 1