Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

I wouldn’t say the forum has been exactly apolitical in the dozen or so years I’ve been a member.  There have been lots of comments about more than one president over the years.

12 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I wouldn’t say the forum has been exactly apolitical in the dozen or so years I’ve been a member.  There have been lots of comments about more than one president over the years.

You're correct but those remarks have been few and far between.  Two wrongs do not make a right. Check the site rules.  Everybody has political preferences and opinions but the great and unique thing about this site is that it has kept it's focus on the TV show we all love.  If we let our focus slip we all will lose something special.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

You're correct but those remarks have been few and far between.  Two wrongs do not make a right. Check the site rules.  Everybody has political preferences and opinions but the great and unique thing about this site is that it has kept it's focus on the TV show we all love.  If we let our focus slip we all will lose something special.

I’m not arguing right or wrong, just pointing out the reality over the years.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Tom said:

The competition is called COVID - "Competition on Vulgar and Idiotic Demeanor". :birdie:

Trump was one of the early "adopters", now it´s everywhere as you said....

Sticking to the forum rules I will refrain from commenting on any president's administration, past or present.  At this time, Covid, no matter how it got here or how it's been handled, doesn't really matter. Right now the focus has to be how to get through it.   I'm sure it would be a barn burner of a topic but we're not going to discuss it here.   

A cute acronym.  and yes I agree it's stupid and selfish behavior that got us where we are, but let's skip the blame game right now and get back to more great pics of Miami!

• Like 2

• Administrators

It’s always best to leave politics and religion off this forum. Two things that will divide and disrupt our great forum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I’m not arguing right or wrong, just pointing out the reality over the years.

Understand thanks for the thought.  Maybe it's time to put a stop to it.  It may seem like a small infraction now but it can quickly escalate and be a major problem, I've seen it happen on other sites.   

42 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Understand thanks for the thought.  Maybe it's time to put a stop to it.  It may seem like a small infraction now but it can quickly escalate and be a major problem, I've seen it happen on other sites.   

Agreed.  I’ve seen the same.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Thanks guys.  I can promise you that will never happen.  Not to mention, we have a great group of fans on this site and I seriously doubt they would stand for it! 

• Like 2

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Ferrariman:

Sticking to the forum rules I will refrain from commenting on any president's administration, past or present.  At this time, Covid, no matter how it got here or how it's been handled, doesn't really matter. Right now the focus has to be how to get through it.   I'm sure it would be a barn burner of a topic but we're not going to discuss it here.   

A cute acronym.  and yes I agree it's stupid and selfish behavior that got us where we are, but let's skip the blame game right now and get back to more great pics of Miami!

OK, agreed. I guess everyone on the forum here knows that I prefer contributing new intel on MV rather than starting off topic discussions. So sorry for my laconic comment if that offended anyone, as my focus was on the acronym anyway.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

great picture of Wolfies as it was in 1986. I was there. Great memory!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-01 um 20.16.02.png

My Mother-In-Law Nikki worked there for a while.  She remembered serving a number of famous stars who were performing on the Beach.  It was a popular place.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb miamijimf:

My Mother-In-Law Nikki worked there for a while.  She remembered serving a lot of famous stars.  It was a popular place.

yes. Lots of good memories. I lived across the street once. Had many burgers there.

• Like 2

Art Deco styled buildings were not the only unique feature of older Miami architecture.  These decorative screen doors were popular everywhere especially before air conditioning when people would leave their main front door open and let the breezes come in through their screen door.  Don't remember seeing them anywhere else but S. Fla.  We had a screen door like this one when I was a kid.

166123469_10159004614028903_2500465215188787286_o.thumb.jpg.8505601a9fbfcbca60db5e855202be48.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Art Deco was not the only unique feature of older Miami architecture.  These decorative screen doors were very popular.  Don't remember seeing them anywhere else but S. Fla.  We had a screen door like this one when I was a kid.

166123469_10159004614028903_2500465215188787286_o.thumb.jpg.8505601a9fbfcbca60db5e855202be48.jpg

It definitely looks to be regional to South Florida.  Art Deco detailing sometimes included objects rather than just geometric patterns that we’ve all familiar with.  I’ve seen, flowers, people, fish and now flamingos depicted.  :thumbsup:  Think of the plaque above the OCB headquarters  entrance.  It has nautical objects and a figure holding a ship.  

Many of the Art Deco buildings we have come to know and love on MV present more as a subset of the style, called Art Moderne, or Streamline Moderne.  They are all related and of the same era.  The massing and larger detailing of the structures better fit the Art Moderne aesthetic, while much of the applied ornament is Art Deco styling.  This is typically true of Art Deco architect as opposed to Art Deco furniture, jewelry, etc...

Edited by pahonu

• 2 weeks later...

Post partially removed by Admin: Do NOT discuss politics on this forum.

the door posted by jim is called tropical deco pahonu. and it's very likely been taken around Lenox, and Michigan avenues

are these royal palms

1267291301_Capturedcran2021-04-15161217.thumb.jpg.52a30977e077338c01f8e742eb517a59.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 12:28 AM, jpaul1 said:

the door posted by jim is called tropical deco pahonu. and it's very likely been taken around Lenox, and Michigan avenues

are these royal palms

1267291301_Capturedcran2021-04-15161217.thumb.jpg.52a30977e077338c01f8e742eb517a59.jpg

I think I looked through an architecture book called Tropical Deco once.  I’m going to look that up, thanks.

On 4/16/2021 at 12:28 AM, jpaul1 said:

are these royal palms

Yes, these are Royal palms (Roystonea regia). This palm species is native to Southern Florida and Cuba.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

the argument that Donald Trump is a former president is valid. the argument that he shouldn't be considered as a political subject, and that he still is only because most of the republican lawmakers are unfit; and that he should be considered  as a simple criminal case responsible of 6 deads is also valid

are these royal palms

Team, lets please leave the politics off this board. There are plenty of other forums out there where that kind of stuff can be discussed. I’ve got a complaint from another member on this. I’m not big on censorship so I will not edit the post but I’m asking everyone nicely, please no more politics or mention of our presidents past or present.

No one ever agrees on that topic and arguments start over seemingly nothing. So let’s not even go there. 

Thank you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, timm525 said:

Team, lets please leave the politics off this board. There are plenty of other forums out there where that kind of stuff can be discussed. I’ve got a complaint from another member on this. I’m not big on censorship so I will not edit the post but I’m asking everyone nicely, please no more politics or mention of our presidents past or present.

No one ever agrees on that topic and arguments start over seemingly nothing. So let’s not even go there. 

Thank you. 

Absolutely right, thanks Timm.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb timm525:

Thank you. 

Let´s stick to the "politics of contraband" (Glenn Frey), that´s not only allowed but a skill requirement here on the forum ....:funky:

• Like 2

I noticed this cool vintage fire truck at the Key Biscayne fire station.  I bet John Costelada would pay big bucks for this!   :)

firetruck.png.9153d0e469435f6c81af09c93b73bf7a.png

https://goo.gl/maps/5MTTfe38QAHtMhDHA

It dates back to 1936!

https://www.islandernews.com/news/police_fire/key-biscayne-fire-department-holds-open-house/article_8c96418e-6c29-11e9-8c7d-4f68b3d513c2.html

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

On 4/17/2021 at 7:03 AM, airtommy said:

did you see the housings offers beside. the 10.4M$ house living room is badly inspired by Lao Li living room. the house is very close from the neighbor though. 10.4M, and you can't even listen to music without disturbing the neighbor

yesterday off cape canaveral. a plane making a kamikaze, or torpedoe demonstration i don't know :)

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2